PDA

View Full Version : Big Daddy tired of being BIG in the wrong way (aka FAT)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

SCmmaFAN
01-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Intro:

I'm a 34 year old male at 6'3" and weighing in at 295 pounds. Currently, I'm at 33% BF according to my calipers and measurements. I'm tired of being overweight, fat and coming up with excuses on why I can't/won't fix this. So over the course of a month and a half I bought a cage, solid flat bench, a 300 pound olympic weight set, weight tree and read as much as I could here. I used to lift weights in high school and college and needless to say the lifting programs pretty much sucked from what I've learned on this board. Basically, there were too many isolation and benching exercises and not enough core strength exercises.

Goals:

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself too much. I think I know where I want to be but I have a feeling once I get into this that my long term goals will shift. Although, I'm watching my weight I'm more concerned about what I see in the mirror, how my clothes fit and what those dang BF calipers are telling me. Here are my short and mid term goals in no particular order.

Short Term:
Goal 1: Get down to 30% BF by losing 1-2 pounds a week and lifting hard - GOAL MET: First of March 2010!
Goal 2: Working out with 600 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) on SS - GOAL MET: I'm at 630# as of 2-4-2010!
Goal 3: Get my weight down to 285 - GOAL MET: I'm at 284.6 as of 4-11-2010!
Goal 4: Working out with 800 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) on SS - GOAL MET: I'm at 810# as of 3-4-2010!
Goal 5: (Added 3-4-2010) Have a 250# bench for my three working sets on SS - GOAL MET: I made it on 4-18-2010!
Goal 6: (Added 3-16-2010) Working out with 900 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) on SS. - GOAL MET: I'm at 910# as of 4-8-2010!

Mid Term:
Goal 1: Continue to get down to 25% BF by losing 1-2 pounds a week and lifting hard
Goal 2: Working out with 750 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) on SS - GOAL MET: I'm at 760# as of 2-23-2010!
Goal 3: Get my weight down to 275 - Aiming for 6-1-2010 - GOAL MET: 6-12-2010!
Goal 4: Working out with 850 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) on SS - GOAL MET: I'm at 850# as of 3-16-2010!
Goal 5: (Added 3-16-2010) Working out with 950 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) on SS.- GOAL MET: Late May 2010!

Long Term:
Goal 1: Working out with 1000 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) - GOAL MET: 7-28-2010! - RAW 417.5/310/385 @ 1112.5
Goal 2: Get my weight down to 250 - Originally aimed for 12-31-2010 but now the target is before Thanksgiving! - GOAL MET: 12-5-2010!
Goal 3: Get my BF % to 20% or less

How I'm going to accomplish this:

I'm using Starting Strength as my initial routine. Also, I'm cleaning up my diet and trying to make sure I get a lot of protein. My "official" weigh in day is going to be on Sunday as I'm lifting on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. At the end of the month I'll see if I'm hitting my goal weight lifting numbers according to the SS routine. Also, at the end of the month I will measure my BF% and adjust my goals.

Clover
01-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Good luck man, looks like you have thought this out very well.

SCmmaFAN
01-16-2010, 07:59 PM
My lifting for the first week:

Tuesday:
Squat: 135 3x5
Bench: 135 3x5
Deadlift: 135 1x5

Everything felt good and I noticed that the deadlift weight is too low. I'll try to increase it 15# per session.

Thursday:
Squat: 145 3x5
Press: 75 3x5
Power Cleans: 95 5x3

OMG the squats were killing me that morning. I definitely was not ready for another workout of squats

This was my first time that I have ever performed Power Cleans. Boy did it show, my technique was beyond bad. I need to work on this a lot!!!

Saturday:
Squat: 155 3x5
Bench: 145 3x5
Deadlift: 150 1x5

The squats felt much better today. I guess I recovered much better since Thursday. The deadlift weight is still way too low. I don't want it to slip too far behind of my squat numbers. I'm debating whether to go up 20# a session in my deadlifts. I think my squat pound increase per session will slow down significantly once I hit 200ish, so I may leave the deadlift weight increase as is.

Overall thoughts for the week:
I stuck with my diet pretty well. I'm hitting about 175g of protein a day. I can't bring myself to have an extra protein shake after dinner. I feel too guilty of adding on extra calories and not wanting to eat before bed.

Tomorrow is my weekly weigh in day. I should be ok since weighing in tomorrow, since my off days looks promising. The only thing that might throw me off is that I had pasta tonight with my dinner. Of course it was more pasta that I should have eaten.

SCmmaFAN
01-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Good luck man, looks like you have thought this out very well.
Thanks Clover! I got a lot of work ahead of me but I think I got a good plan to start with.

SCmmaFAN
01-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In:

I couldn't tell what the scale exactly said (293 or 294). It was way too early in the morning for my eyes to focus so I took the difference. Maybe I need a digital scale?

Other Ramblings:

I'm going to give fitday.com a shot for the week. I don't want to be keeping logs/records/journals everywhere but I need to track my diet and see where any problems may be.

Off Road
01-17-2010, 10:00 AM
You've made an excellent start. You've done your homework.

SCmmaFAN
01-19-2010, 07:59 AM
You've made an excellent start. You've done your homework.

Thanks Off Road! I definitely read, read and read some more before beginning. I still don't know that much.

SCmmaFAN
01-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Tuesday:

Squat: 165 3x5
Press: 80 3x5
Power Cleans: 100 5x3

I felt the squat weight this morning but got the sets, reps without an issue but I hope I can make it to 200+ before dropping my increases to 5 pounds a session. I think my power clean technique was much better but still not that great but improved. I keep watching videos, reading and working with just the bar. I guess it'll come with time.

Other Ramblings:

I ate pretty good over the weekend. I've been using fitday.com for a few days and it is an eye opener. I'm eating way more fat than I want to. I had a serious calorie deficit yesterday up until supper, since I was on the move a lot. I actually broke down and ordered some french fries with supper since I don't want to have my calories too low. I ended up ordering a digital scale and something called "Lock-Jaw" to keep the weight from moving on certain exercises (especially power cleans).

SCmmaFAN
01-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Thursday:
Squat: 175 3x5
Bench: 155 3x5
Deadlift: 165 1x5

The weight felt good today. I think I'm past the DOMS stage overall. I just notice my stength is fatigued but the soreness stuff has pretty much vanished.

Also, I'm one of those crazy people that Rippetoe talks about. I lift first thing in the morning for many reasons. I know this isn't optimal but it makes my life a little less complicated in the evening. So I was working out without anything in my stomach hence why I think my squats were a real struggle. I tried this morning drinking some gatorade before and during my lift session. I don't know if it's a placebo effect but I felt better while lifting.

I'm still aiming to increase the poundage by 10 pounds on the squat until 205 at least. I hope I can further than that but we'll see in the coming weeks.

Also, I'm starting to realize why the deadlift has 1x5 instead of 3x5. I read the reasons why but now I feel those reasons! :)

Other Ramblings:

My eating was bad yesterday. I had a bad lunch at a mexican restaurant and then my wife fixed chicken alfredo last night. The chicken alfredo would normally fit fine with my macro goals but the mexican food really screwed up my day. I was telling myself this morning to get back on the wagon weakling.

The digital scale I ordered should be here tomorrow and I'm getting a couple of books on stretching. Another but non-lifting goal of mine is to do the splits.

Off Road
01-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Work really hard on that deadlift. Theoretically, It should be at least equal with your squat. Working hard on the deadlift will help the squat a lot too.

SCmmaFAN
01-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Offroad,

Thanks for the response!

I really agree about the deadlift. I used deadlift about 50 pounds more than my squat back in college. Regardless, I work hard on the deadlift and it's one of my favorite lifts. I'm just feeling weaker by the time I get to the deadlift portion of the workout. The way the program is set up is that my squats are going 10 pounds 3x a week or 60 pounds every two weeks while the deadlift is going up 15 pounds every session or 45 pounds every two weeks. Now I realize the squat weight will slow for me real soon. I think at that point the deadlift should catch up and exceed the squat weight.

Off Road
01-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Ya, it's got to be tough to put a lot of effort into the deadlift after a brutal squat session. Make sure you rest good between the bench and the deads.

SCmmaFAN
01-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Saturday:

Squat: 185 3x5
Press: 85 3x5
Power Cleans: 105 5x3

Everything felt great! It's great to be lifting again. As usual, I felt those squats but the weight keeps going up 10# a session, so I'll keep packing on 10# until I'm really feeling it in the last set. Also, having some carbs in gatorade or juice before my workout is helping. I think my Power Clean technique is getting much better but still needs a lot of work. I think I can up the weight more in the power clean but really want to get my technique down first. Finally, the "lock-jaws" seems to hold the weight in place during my power cleans. We'll see how they hold up over the long term.

Other Thoughts:

Well I had some bad meals this week and I think there's a good chance my weight won't be down for the week. I received my new digital scale and it seems accurate and consistent with my older one. I think my salt intake yesterday was higher than normal so hopefully I'm retaining extra water and my official weigh in tomorrow will be good. Also, Fitday.com has been quite a wake up call. My macros are pretty much all screwed up so I need to really work on my food selection. I've been having peanuts as part of my mid-morning and mid-afternoon meals and the fat (although good fats) and calories are hurting my macro targets. I think once I finish the jar I believe I will switch to another source of food while cutting.

SCmmaFAN
01-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In:

Damn, I'm stoked after the weigh in. I was convinced that if I was lucky that I would come in the same weight as last week. I guess some bad meals didn't kill me this week but I really need to stay on top of this.

Other Ramblings:

My legs feel like jello this morning and are a little sore. I guess the squat weight increases are taking its toll. :evillaugh: Luckily, I have a couple of days to recover before Tuesday's workout which may end up becoming Monday evening or Tuesday evening due to a possible schedule conflict.

SCmmaFAN
01-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Tuesday:

Squat: 195 3x5
Bench: 165 3x5
Deadlift: 185 1x5

I haven't been sleeping as well as I've wanted to since Saturday. I got about 7 hours last night (normal is 7.5-8) but I felt really tired this morning. I didn't want to sit out with an excuse that I was too tired in week 3. Of course, I didn't want to have a bad lift day either so I got up drank my juice and lifted anyway. I know I sound like a broken record but the squats are getting harder and harder. I completed the first set and thought I was not going to make it through two more sets of 5 reps. The next two sets were equal to the first set in difficulty to my surprise and I made it. If I can make it the rest of the week with 10# increases, I will back off to 5# increases next week.

That bench press is getting tougher too. I know it's going to get tougher but maybe I've increased the weights too much in just a little over two weeks. I went up 20# on my deadlift instead of 15# not because I changed the numbers around but because it was easier to put a 25# plate on each end rather than a 10# and two 5#.

Other Thoughts:

My eating has been better and I'm getting better at hitting my macro goals although it still needs some work. I think my traps are starting to grow :), which have always been small :(. Of course, the last time I seriously lifted I was not doing deadlifts, powercleans and eating more appropriately.

SCmmaFAN
01-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Thursday:

Squat: 205 3x5
Press: 90 3x5
Power Cleans: 110 5x3

I felt 10x better this morning than Tuesday. The 10# squat increases I think will end this week. I can get the weight up but I definitely can feel the weight in all three sets. If I make Saturday's lifting weight then I'll be at 215 and if I can squeeze out another week of 10# increases I'd be at 245 which would be awesome but it's getting really, really tough and I don't want to stall out on my squats in week 4. So I think I'll back off to 5# increases next week on the squat. I'm slowly getting my power clean technique in check. I think I'm going to take some videos on Saturday and maybe next Saturday to perform a form check on everything.

Other Thoughts:

My eating has been pretty good this week. I still need to work on my macro goals. The preliminary weigh-in yesterday morning is looking promising for the week. I need some lifting shoes too.

Off Road
01-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Sounds like you have a solid plan for progression. Excellent efforts so far.

feardaram
01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
really good increases on the weights! keep it up!

Coke
01-29-2010, 01:42 AM
Excellent strategy with the gradual improvements all of which will become quite visible just in time for summer...keep it up.

SCmmaFAN
01-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Off Road, Feardaram, CoCoa,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I really appreciate it.

SCmmaFAN
01-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Saturday:

Squat: 215 3x5
Bench: 175 3x5
Deadlift: 205 1x5

Whoa, I almost made one of my initial goals, which is to lift over 600 combined in the Big 3 lifts. I probably would've tacked on another 5# on the deadlift if I was paying closer attention to the numbers. Well, next Thursday I will officially cross the threshold, although Tuesday I'll technically cross it with the extra 5# on the squat.

I'm having a great time moving that squat weight in all three sets </sarcasm>. I'm definitely dropping to 5# increases starting on Tuesday. My legs were definitely pumped up after today's workout.

Again, I went up 20# on my deadlift instead of 15# because it was easier to add the 35# plates. Plus, I was jacked up and ready to deadlift :evillaugh:. Also, I think I still got a lot of weight left to get out of the deadlift before slowing down. I'm excited to see how far I can go before needing to drop to <=5# increases on it. I imagine within the month I may need to buy more plates just for the deadlift exercises if I can keep the progression up.

I'm starting to really feel the bench weight too. I think I'm going to try to squeeze two more weeks of 10# increases (3 sessions) on the bench before decreasing it to 5# a session. That would put my bench at 205 before dropping to 5# increases.

Other Thoughts:

Tomorrow is my weekly weigh-in and monthly body fat % measurement day. I'm changing my body fat % calculation method from my first measurement. I don't know if it will be for better or worse. My unofficial weigh-ins have been ok. I think I might be taking in too much salt and causing me to retain extra water. Fitday is showing my caloric intake being where I want it, so it should be good for tomorrow. Also, I'm still having trouble hitting my macro goals due to eating with my family etc. but I'm slowly getting it under control overall.

I also got some Chuck Taylor knockoffs (I actually like them better than real CT's) for lifting and to my surprise I could really tell a difference in squatting and deadlifting. Maybe it's a placebo effect but my footing felt much more secure.

I've started the stretching stuff too. I'll let you know how it goes in the coming weeks as my flexibility has always been a weak point.

SCmmaFAN
01-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In (Week 3):

Well, I was weighing myself constantly on Saturday (big mistake) and was pretty concerned about the weigh in. I guess with a goal of just 1#/week of weight loss may not be the best plan. There's not much wiggle room for any errors in my diet. I'm kind of stuck between trying to aim for more weight loss a week and risk muscle issues.

Monthly Body Fat % (Start of month 2):

According to the measurements of my calipers and calculations I'm at:

31.5%

Other Ramblings:

A good week, good month and a good start. It's always easier to do well early on a program/diet/etc. The real test of discipline is coming.

I also tried to do a chinup yesterday. I tried on my very first lift day and I could hold my weight but couldn't move myself. Yesterday I tried one for the heck of it at the end of my lifting session and I moved myself quite a few inches but was nowhere near completing one. I guess that's progress and that's good because I see them on many intermediate BB/PL programs along with dips.

Coke
02-02-2010, 03:54 AM
You have done very well up to this point, no doubt that will continue. As long you make gradual progress, that is all one can ask for man - just don't quit.

Off Road
02-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Smash that goal next week :thumbup:

SCmmaFAN
02-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Tuesday:

Squat: 220 3x5
Press: 95 3x5
Power Cleans: 115 5x3

I was actually quite sore on Sunday in my traps and inner thigh area. I wasn't expecting that level of soreness it but it was almost gone on Monday. Still I was surprised.

Well, I got the squat weight up but I think I almost did something to my ankle as it started hurting. I noticed in the third set I was almost standing on the ball of my foot on a couple of reps. I don't know why I was doing that but my ankle quickly let me know to correct it. I believe I can increase more than 5# on the OHP but I think I'll keep the increases conservative as I know it will catch up with me soon. Powercleans are going ok but my technique deteriorates in from the third set onward.

Other Thoughts:

My eating has been ok overall. I had a so called refeed/refuel or whatever it's called on Sunday evening. My wife bought my some ice cream last night and I'm working trying to fit it into my macros. It's amazing when you actually look at the nutrition labels on everything that you learn how much carbs/fats/etc. a person can easily consume.

Off Road
02-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Make sure your knees aren't traveling too far forward on the squat. That will cause you to be on the balls of your feet. Stay back on your heels and wiggle your toes :)

SCmmaFAN
02-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Make sure your knees aren't traveling too far forward on the squat. That will cause you to be on the balls of your feet. Stay back on your heels and wiggle your toes :)

I was thinking it might of been form breakdown in the third set. Thanks for confirming my suspicion. :thumbup:

SCmmaFAN
02-04-2010, 07:13 AM
I didn't get to lift this morning as I was going on 5.5 hours of sleep. I figured I needed the extra hour of sleep just to make it through the work day. Thursday is a long day for me but I'm going to try and lift this evening when I get home. If not, I'll lift tomorrow morning.

SCmmaFAN
02-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Thursday:

Squat: 225 3x5
Bench: 185 3x5
Deadlift: 220 1x5

YES! :evillaugh: I crossed goal #1 of lifting 600# in the big 3. I'm currently at 630#.

I got home and started lifting at 8:45 PM. I plan to lift on Saturday as normal.

One thing is for certain, I'm feeling the weight in everything and all sets now. I'm debating on when to move the bench weight increases to 5# per session. I want to hit 200# on my bench next week, so I might do one 10# session next Tuesday and drop to a 5# increase next Saturday to put me at 200#. I think I'm going to decrease the deadlift to 10# starting next week.

Other Thoughts:

My unofficial weigh-ins look promising so far but I had a bad lunch and too much pasta for dinner. I'll be able to assess the situation better in the morning. I'm hitting my protein intake numbers pretty well.

SCmmaFAN
02-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Saturday:

Squat: 230 3x5
Press: 100 3x5
Power Cleans: 120 5x3

I've started noticing that my first set of squats are more of struggle than set 2. I'm assuming that I need to rest more after the warm up sets. I said on Tuesday that I thought I could go for a higher weight increase on the OHP than 5#. Well, I'm glad I kept it at 5# because I almost didn't make the last rep in set 3.

Other Thoughts:

My preliminary weigh-in this morning looks promising for the week. Even though I haven't lost a lot of weight I've already had to tighten my clothing belts a notch.

Off Road
02-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Progressing well.

SCmmaFAN
02-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Progressing well.

Thanks Off Road! I'm pleased with how things are going so far.

SCmmaFAN
02-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In (Week 4):

Not quite a pound for the week but I'll take it! I wanted to have some beers last night watching the UFC but I restrained myself. Of course, tonight is the Super Bowl so I might have a couple this evening. I must say that guilt is a powerful motivator.

SCmmaFAN
02-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Tuesday:

Squat: 235 3x5
Bench: 195 3x5
Deadlift: 235 1x5

Oh my, I woke up late this morning and was debating on lifting this afternoon. I really don't care to lift in the evening so I quickly decided I had enough time to lift, eat, shower and still get to work on time. I made it through but just barely.

I'm going to try and continue to add 5# to my squats for the rest of the week and evaluate on Saturday whether to keep it at 5# or drop the weight increases. I'm really busting my behind to get that weight up but I still haven't had a failed rep or bad form on the squat yet. I almost didn't make the last rep on my bench this morning. I want that 205 bench on Saturday's lift day and I'm going for it but it might be for not. I'm definitely feeling the deadlift in my hands. If I drop the squat weight I'm definitely dropping the deadlift weight too.

I don't have chains, etc. but I read that Lowe's has 2" washers, so I might have to check into that. Anyone have any input on this (whether they have them, how many I need, etc.)?

Other Thoughts:

I haven't felt this good in a long time. My body weight and fat are dropping, my lifting is getting better and better, my diet has improved 10 fold. I'm pleased with what I've accomplished so far.

SCmmaFAN
02-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Thursday:

Squat: 240 3x5
Press: 105 3x5
Power Cleans: 125 5x3

I felt pretty good lifting today. I've come to the conclusion that Tuesday is my poor performance day. I don't know why but I always feel weaker, tired and just seem to have a tough on Tuesday's. Also, I started wearing a belt on my work sets but not my warm up sets.

Other Thoughts:

I found some 1.25# weights online but they are $17 shipped for a pair and that's the cheapest I've found. I hope Lowes has some 2" or I guess they are really 2-1/8" washers. Otherwise I'll break down and buy the plates. Buy once, cry once.

I had a bad eating day on Wednesday. I hit my macros but I consumed too many calories but my weight has creeped up some.

SCmmaFAN
02-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Saturday:

Squat: 245 3x5
Bench: 205 3x5
Deadlift: 250 1x5

I'm at 700# for the Big 3. I'm very pleased that I made it to 700# in this amount of time. I think it will take a bit longer to make it to 750#, which is a mid-term goal of mine. I really didn't think my lifts would increase this quickly, so I'm very happy.

I plan to drop my bench weight increases to 5# a session as I'm really busting my rear to get that weight up and keep good form. The squat weight felt very challenging but not a complete struggle. So I'll keep the increases at 5# on the squat for awhile longer. Also, I'm glad that the deadlift is 1x5 and not 3x5 because I'm worn out after the deadlift.

Other Thoughts:

My weigh-in tomorrow should be good even with two fairly bad eating days this week. We had SNOW last night!!!

Off Road
02-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Pretty cool what happens when you get on a proven program that is appropriate for your level.

SCmmaFAN
02-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Definitely! I never would have thought that I'd be where I'm at so fast.

SCmmaFAN
02-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In (Week 5):

Well I'm under 290 which makes for a pretty good week. I had a couple of bad eating days this past week but I guess at my weight it doesn't break my losses. I'm sure I will have to become more stringent with things as I lose more weight. Since it's Valentine's Day I might have a sugary-sweet treat tonight.

SCmmaFAN
02-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Tuesday:

Squat: 250 3x5
Press: 110 3x5
Power Cleans: 130 5x3

Everything keeps going up, just as it should with SS. The squat weight feels heavy but nowhere near impossible. I'm starting to wonder how far I'm going to go on SS. I know my bench will stall out in a matter of weeks, if that long. It'll be great if I can get 250+ on my bench work sets by the time I finish SS. I don't mind as I know it's going to happen more frequently and require more resets with all the lifts beyond squats and deadlifts.

Other Thoughts:

Sports Authority had their loose plates on sale and they had a $25 off $100 coupon. So I went yesterday and bought a pair of 45's, 10's and 2.5's in their grip plate model. I wish I had ponied up the money and bought the grip plate 300# set to begin with. I really like them especially in the larger plates. Oh well, I thought a 300# set would last me a whole year not 6 weeks!

Off Road
02-16-2010, 08:29 AM
I thought a 300# set would last me a whole year not 6 weeks!
I know what you mean...I'm on the hunt for some used 45s for my collection.

SCmmaFAN
02-18-2010, 07:53 AM
I know what you mean...I'm on the hunt for some used 45s for my collection.

I should've looked for some used plates myself. 45# of iron is 45# of iron.

SCmmaFAN
02-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Thursday - (2-18-2010) - Session 17:

Squat: 255 3x5
Bench: 210 3x5
Deadlift: 265 1x5

Everything felt great this morning but I'm drained! The squat weight is heavy but I can move the weight in all sets/reps without any serious form breakdown.

Decreasing the bench weight increases to 5# worked out good today. I only seriously struggled in the last rep of the last set today compared to when I jumped 10# getting to 195/205. Also, my right shoulder has been hurting a tad (sharp pinpoint pain) when benching heavier weights. I injured that shoulder in the exact area where it hurts when I played HS football back in the day. I'm wondering if it's from that. I think when I used to lift seriously but dumb years ago that my shoulder hurt a little here and there in the same area but I think it ended up going away after several months of lifting. Also, the sharp pinpoint pain immediately ends when I complete my benching sets.

The deadlift weight is getting to be killer. I want to decrease it to 10# or even 5# but my squat weight will surpass it quickly if I do that. I'm going to try and keep the increases at 15# per session for two more weeks. This will put my deadlift at 310# and squats at 290# if I can keep it up. :evillaugh:

Other Thoughts:

My eating has been good but not great. On my preliminary weigh in days, my weight is always up but I manage to weigh in ok on Sunday.

Also, I looked for those huge washers at Lowes and Home Depot without success. I also considered making chains but that looks to be more trouble than I want to deal with. So I think I'm going to suck it up and buy those 1.25# plates on ebay. Buy once, cry once!

feardaram
02-18-2010, 09:11 AM
you are making gains crazy fast!! great work!

Off Road
02-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Sounds like your timing was perfect on lowering the bench progression.

SCmmaFAN
02-18-2010, 05:58 PM
you are making gains crazy fast!! great work!

Yea, I never would've expected to be where I'm at in 6 weeks. I figured I'd be hitting 750# for the Big 3 in about 6 months not 7 weeks. I'm very happy with what I've accomplished so far.

Sounds like your timing was perfect on lowering the bench progression.
I really should have decreased it last Saturday but I wanted 205 really bad. It paid off this time but it could've easily backfired on me too. I have to be careful not to get too greedy on my lift increases.

SCmmaFAN
02-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Saturday - (2-20-2010) - Session 18:

Squat: 260 3x5
Press: 115 3x5
Power Cleans: 135 5x3

I decided to lift after eating breakfast just to see how it would go. I waited until about 2.5 hours after I had eaten and I felt like I was going to vomit the whole session. I don't plan on repeating that mistake again.

Other than that everything was very good. The OHP was a real struggle today. I don't know why but I struggled in sets 2 and 3. Ultimately, I got the reps with decent form but maybe it's time to decrease the increases to 2.5# per session. I'll try the regular increase next Thursday at 5# and see what happens.

Also, next Tuesday I will cross the 750# goal for the Big 3 lifts. Amazingly, I thought I wouldn't hit this goal until 6-9 months of lifting as a mid-term goal and I'm going to get it in week 7!

Other Thoughts:

My weigh-in tomorrow should be good. So I'm excited for another week of weight loss and strength increase.

SCmmaFAN
02-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (2/21/2010) - Week 6:

Not too shabby but I weighed in at 288.2 yesterday morning. Maybe it was a fluke but it doesn't matter as this is a long haul. I think around 285 I'll need to tighten my belts another notch,

skinny99
02-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Keep going man. It feels great to keep progressing.

SCmmaFAN
02-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Keep going man. It feels great to keep progressing.

Thanks!

Yes, it's a great feeling. I keep wondering how far can I go on SS.

SCmmaFAN
02-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Tuesday - (2-23-2010) - Session 19:

Squat: 265 3x5
Bench: 215 3x5
Deadlift: 280 1x5

The 750# goal on the Big 3 has been crushed!!! :evillaugh: :clap:

This was listed as a midterm goal, which I thought would take 6-9 months to achieve. I still can't believe it.

The squat weight increases have been very manageable but tough since decreasing my increases to 5# a session. The bench decrease to 5# a session is working good too, since I'm only struggling the last rep or two in set three. The deadlift increases will have to slow down in the near future as I'm really working hard to get the weight up and keep good form. I'd like to get two more sessions of 15# increases before dropping it to 10#. This will give me some working room to keep my deadlift above my squat weight in case I have some bad sessions and don't increase the deadlift weight or drop the deadlift increases to 5# for awhile.

Other Thoughts:

I ordered a pair of 1.25# plates. I don't foresee needing them in the next few weeks but you never know, especially since my OHP is a real fight every session. Also, I'm going to adjust my goals on my first post of this thread. I see now that my lifting goals were conservative and my weight loss goals were aggressive.

KoSh
02-23-2010, 11:31 AM
It's how you learn, man. Keep working hard and you'll accomplish both at some point. One needs to be priority first, but they both can come with time.

SCmmaFAN
02-24-2010, 08:30 AM
It's how you learn, man. Keep working hard and you'll accomplish both at some point. One needs to be priority first, but they both can come with time.

Definitely! I learn a little something about myself and here every day with the knowledgable folks at WBB. I can't believe how ignorant and lost the "trainers" I've used/known and myself were in the past.

Yes, priority #1 is gaining strength and hopefully muscle to start with. The weight loss is priority #2 which is why I'm aiming for very small losses compared to most big folks. It's also another reason I'm currently not on any cardio regiment.

SCmmaFAN
02-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Thursday - (2-25-2010) - Session 20:

Squat: 270 3x5
Press: 120 3x5
Power Cleans: 140 5x3

The squat weight felt pretty heavy this morning. I'm going for 5# increases for at least Saturday and all of next week. I'll evaluate everything and see where I stand.

I started out the OHP barely completing my first set with rough form. I was thinking I'm never going to complete all three sets. I immediately looked at the weight and I had 140# on the bar. I had slapped on an extra pair of 10#'s. I guess it was still too early in the morning for basic math. Needless to say, I adjusted the weight and got my reps.

When I first started the program I absolutely hated power cleans. This was the case even up through last week. All of sudden my form has improved dramatically and I'm starting to like them. Although, I still don't like the fact that it takes a good bit of time to warm up and complete the 5x3.

Other Thoughts:

My weight seems to be in line for the week and my diet has been good. Also, my micro plates should hopefully be here by Saturday.

Off Road
02-25-2010, 08:33 AM
I really like the way you aren't afraid to slow down the progression when things get brutal. I think that is the main downfall of guys that run this routine. When things seem impossible and you think it's time to deload all the weights, don't be afraid to drop to twice a week workouts to try and eek out a little more progress before you deload and start over.

SCmmaFAN
02-25-2010, 08:52 PM
I really like the way you aren't afraid to slow down the progression when things get brutal. I think that is the main downfall of guys that run this routine. When things seem impossible and you think it's time to deload all the weights, don't be afraid to drop to twice a week workouts to try and eek out a little more progress before you deload and start over.

Thanks Off Road!

I'll definitely keep the 2x week workout in mind when the time comes. I wouldn't have considered that option. It could work out pretty good for some extra recovery when I'm pushing the limits of eeking out increases, even though I'd feel guilty working out 2x week. Regardless, I'm not deloading anything until I'm forced to!

Off Road
02-25-2010, 10:27 PM
The feeling of still busting out PRs will far outweigh the guilt of not working out often. Results first!

SCmmaFAN
02-26-2010, 09:21 AM
My traps are really sore today. Actually, they are the sorest they've ever been in my life. I guess the OHP and Power Cleans did a number on them.

tnathletics2b
02-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Just read through your journal and your lifts have improved drammatically. The power of positive thinking is incredible, isn't it?

SCmmaFAN
02-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Just read through your journal and your lifts have improved drammatically. The power of positive thinking is incredible, isn't it?

I'm still surprised on how much my lifts have increased in only 7 weeks! I used to lift a decent amount of weight in high school and college but it took a long time to get there. SS and the right mindset are the real deal.

Also, I think overall I'm very positive about lifting but I must admit that every lift session I ask myself is this the day I'm going to have a rep failure on my lifts, especially squats. Regardless, I get under the bar and go for it.

SCmmaFAN
02-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Saturday - (2-27-2010) - Session 21:

Squat: 275 3x5
Bench: 220 3x5
Deadlift: 295 1x5

Well, well, well....I had my first rep failure, sort of :(. I knew when I was warming up with the squats that I was probably in trouble. My legs felt very weak and a little sore while warming up. I worked my way up to my working sets. The first set was very tough, the second set was tougher, the third set was very tough and I had a failure in rep 4. I actually fell forward but I caught myself, rebalanced myself and got the weight up. I performed rep 5 and got it with form but it took longer than normal. I also did a 6th rep, which seemed to take forever to complete, to offset the rep 4 failure because I won't count bad form as a rep.

The bench was tough and in the second set I was struggling to get the reps but I got them. I decided to rest an extra 2-3 minutes longer than normal before starting the third set. Well, I got the third set easier than the first two.

Oh my, that deadlift weight was tough. My hands were hurting pretty bad after finishing. I also started working on the hook grip on my warm up sets. It feels so unnatural to me but maybe I'll get used to it soon.

So here's my plan for further progression. My microplates should be here either today or Monday. I'm dropping the squat increases to 2.5# per session. I can drop the deadlift to 5# per session and keep it on par with the squat over two weeks but I think I'm going to try 10# on the deadlift for the upcoming week and see what happens.

Also, I'm going to miss my lift sessions not this Tuesday and Thursday but the following week as I'll be out of town. When I start back on Saturday should I keep progressing as if I didn't miss a day, repeat the previous two workouts, decrease the weight just a little and work my way back up?

Other thoughts:

I think I'm going to be shocked at my official weigh in tomorrow. Also, I've tightened my belt another notch and got two comments over the past couple of days on whether or not I was losing weight.

Off Road
02-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Excellent effort and it seems you have a good progression plan laid out for the weeks ahead.

Coke
02-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Making headway with the big three movements bro.

SCmmaFAN
02-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Excellent effort and it seems you have a good progression plan laid out for the weeks ahead.

Making headway with the big three movements bro.

Thanks! It's getting tougher and tougher but even more rewarding.

JRider23
02-28-2010, 09:55 AM
wow man!! i read through most of your journal up until now and the progress you've made is unbelievable!!! keep up the great work- i am sure you'll hit both of your goals in no time!

SCmmaFAN
02-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (2/28/2010) - Week 7:

I weighed myself on Saturday and today it was the same. My biggest weekly loss yet but I'm really not aiming for nearly 2# of weight loss for the week. I stuck to my diet pretty strict this week so I shouldn't complain.

Monthly Body Fat % - (February 2010) - End of month 2:

28%

Seriously, I do NOT believe this. I was at 291.4 and 31.5% BF at the end of month 1, which was really only 3 weeks. It's seems hard to believe that one month later and my weight being 4.5# lighter that my BF % would decrease by 3.5%. I'm sure I had some body recomposition going on but not to that extent. I know I've tightened my belt and can see and feel some muscle increases. I took my measurements twice yesterday and once today and the numbers came out the same. So I'm posting the number and we'll see what happens in another month.

Other Ramblings:

Another good month even if my BF% number is wrong. Also, I was completely worn out and drained all day yesterday from my lift session. I'm still tired today but not as bad.

SCmmaFAN
03-01-2010, 01:19 PM
wow man!! i read through most of your journal up until now and the progress you've made is unbelievable!!! keep up the great work- i am sure you'll hit both of your goals in no time!
I missed your post yesterday since I was typing up my weigh-in and body-fat measurements.

I just wanted to say thanks for the kind words. I'm just starting month 3 and although I know I've made good progress I know it gets tougher and tougher. I really hope I can make this a genuine lifestyle change and stick with it for the long haul.

SCmmaFAN
03-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Tuesday - (3-2-2010) - Session 22:

Squat: 277.5 3x5
Press: 125 3x5
Power Cleans: 145 3x5

Obviously, my microplates came in. I got the squat weight without any serious problems today, unlike Saturday. So I'll truck along at 2.5# increases for awhile.

The OHP just kills me. I just feel like it's my worst lift. I know it's suppose to be my weakest lift but it's tough.

In case you didn't notice I did 3x5 instead of 5x3 on the power cleans as I was running behind this morning. I got the sets/reps but I will say this, I will not make the mistake of doing 3x5 instead of 5x3 again. They literally crushed my spirit.

Other Thoughts:

I haven't been feeling that great since last Friday. I don't feel that bad but I just feel worn out. I've had some sinus drainage and such, so I assume I'm slightly sick. I think this affected my lifting on Saturday. My eating appears to be off, so I need to get it back into shape for the rest of the week.

Off Road
03-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Two things...

You might want to throw an extra day's rest in to let you body catch up. It won't hurt anything.

If the press stalls, don't be afraid to drop to two sets. Might be just what you need to spark extra progress.

tnathletics2b
03-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Tuesday - (3-2-2010) - Session 22:

Squat: 277.5 3x5
Press: 125 3x5
Power Cleans: 145 3x5

Obviously, my microplates came in. I got the squat weight without any serious problems today, unlike Saturday. So I'll truck along at 2.5# increases for awhile.

The OHP just kills me. I just feel like it's my worst lift. I know it's suppose to be my weakest lift but it's tough.

In case you didn't notice I did 3x5 instead of 5x3 on the power cleans as I was running behind this morning. I got the sets/reps but I will say this, I will not make the mistake of doing 3x5 instead of 5x3 again. They literally crushed my spirit.

Other Thoughts:

I haven't been feeling that great since last Friday. I don't feel that bad but I just feel worn out. I've had some sinus drainage and such, so I assume I'm slightly sick. I think this affected my lifting on Saturday. My eating appears to be off, so I need to get it back into shape for the rest of the week.

Power cleans can definitely be tough. Don't be so surprised that your body fat has dropped after working so hard...accept the results and be happy! :hello:

SCmmaFAN
03-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Two things...

You might want to throw an extra day's rest in to let you body catch up. It won't hurt anything.

If the press stalls, don't be afraid to drop to two sets. Might be just what you need to spark extra progress.

Yes, I thought about taking a day off before. I'm going all out for the rest of the week, since I won't be lifting next Tuesday and Thursday. So I'll have a break but when I come back I'll keep this in mind.

Also, thanks for the tip on the sets for the OHP. I think I'll be using that advice in the near future.

Power cleans can definitely be tough. Don't be so surprised that your body fat has dropped after working so hard...accept the results and be happy! :hello:
Power Cleans are my worst lift based on form/technique but I'm really pleased when I finish.

Well, I wasn't surprised that my body fat dropped but that it dropped so much. I've accepted the numbers as they are and marked off another goal met. I'm moving forward to less fat and the next goal of 25% body fat.

Mark!
03-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm not a fan of the OHP either, but I guess looking back, I hated to squat and dead lift, now I want to do it every dang day I'm in the gym. I think my issue was form, and I still haven't gotten my deadlift form where I need it, that's for sure. Keep meeting goals man. Subscribed to your journal so I can keep up with this, good stuff.

tnathletics2b
03-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Subscribed to your journal so I can keep up with this, good stuff.

Learn something new every day. How do you do this?

SCmmaFAN
03-04-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm not a fan of the OHP either, but I guess looking back, I hated to squat and dead lift, now I want to do it every dang day I'm in the gym. I think my issue was form, and I still haven't gotten my deadlift form where I need it, that's for sure. Keep meeting goals man. Subscribed to your journal so I can keep up with this, good stuff.

Thanks! My problem with the OHP is that it is really easy to have form breakdowns since you are pushing the weight over your head standing up. I used to really hate power cleans too and it was because of my lack of form, not that my form is really great now but it's improved a lot since getting on SS. Also, thanks for subscribing to my journal. I update it fairly frequently between my lift sessions, weigh-ins and Q&A. BTW: I'm subscribed to your journal as well.

Learn something new every day. How do you do this?

If you are reading a journal, scroll up to the very first post on the page you are viewing. You should see a gray bar with one the headers called "Thread Tools". There's an option in there to "Subscribe to this Thread". Once you are subscribed there are a few options for receiving updates. BTW: I'm subscribed to your journal as well, since I know nothing about 5/3/1 and interested to see how it works for you.

SCmmaFAN
03-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Thursday - (3-4-2010) - Session 23:

Squat: 280 3x5
Bench: 225 3x5
Deadlift: 305 1x5

BAM! Another goal met!!! 800#+ on the Big 3! :evillaugh:

The squat weight felt tough and challenging but I was no where near failure. The 2.5# increases are working well.

The bench weight is really pounding me. I though I was going to have a rep failure in set 2-rep 5 and set 3-reps 4 and 5 but I got through it with form. I want to drop the weight to 2.5# but I really want that 250# bench. I guess I should enter that as new goal. I think I'm going to increase my rest between sets and see if that helps me keep my increases at 5#. Otherwise, I'll drop the weight increases to 2.5#.

The deadlift is getting tough. The hook grip isn't fun but I'm working on it. I had to add an extra warmup set too since the weight is increasing a good bit.

Other thoughts:

Nothing really new to report. My shoulders and arms feel jelloish right now :drooling: . Oh, I didn't know I had all of those muscles in my forearms.

Off Road
03-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Setting goals...and knocking them down...absolutely awesome!

tnathletics2b
03-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the tip, I am subscribed to yours now!

Congrats on banging out another goal!

SCmmaFAN
03-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Setting goals...and knocking them down...absolutely awesome!

Thanks for the tip, I am subscribed to yours now!

Congrats on banging out another goal!

Thanks!

It's quite enjoyable to crush a goal! That's why I keep some short term goals within reach since it gives me something to work towards in the immediate future and ends up boosting my confidence

SCmmaFAN
03-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Saturday - (3-6-2010) - Session 24:

Squat: 282.5 3x5
Press: 130 3x5
Power Cleans: 150 5x3

I got the squat weight without any serious issues. The weight is tough but still manageable.

The OHP wasn't too bad today. I was jacked up and ready for it today.

I went back to 5x3 on the power cleans and it was a good move. Still I was kind of rushing through it since breakfast was almost ready. So I was struggling with my energy and form in my final rep in sets 4 and 5. I'll try to take my time on the next session with power cleans and see what happens. If my form breaks down more then I'll need to drop the increases to 2.5# a session.

Other Thoughts:

My arms were pounded hard this morning and felt like jello. I was having trouble holding my cup of coffee steady afterwards. Also, I think I might be lucky to break even on my weight this week.

Off Road
03-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Liking those fractional plates.

SCmmaFAN
03-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Liking those fractional plates.

Sure thing! I'd be in a lot trouble on my squat as I would have been forced to probably deload by now. Plus, it give me some breathing room on my deadlift as I was feeling like I was running out of strength with the 15# increases on it.

Off Road
03-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Awesome planning!

SCmmaFAN
03-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (3/7/2010) - Week 8:

Needless to say, I'm not happy with this. I take full responsibility as I had some bad eating days this week but I didn't think it was that bad. :tuttut: I've come to the conclusion over the past month that my target maintenance/weight-loss calories are calculated high. So I'm going to adjust them a little lower.

I'm going to be on a mini vacation for part of this week and I'm going to try and do my best to keep things under control.

Other Thoughts:

I'm going to lift tomorrow morning for Tuesday's lifting day since I'm leaving to go out of town tomorrow afternoon. Then I won't lift again until Saturday, so I'll just miss one lift day this week but my body will have a nice break to recover.

SCmmaFAN
03-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Monday - (3-8-2010) - Session 25:

Squat: 285 3x5
Bench: 230 3x5
Deadlift: 315 1x5

My legs were pretty sore this morning. So I did some extra light warm ups. The squat weight felt tough and challenging and I was fearful of a rep failure this time around but I got it.

The bench weight is still pounding me but I'm still increasing by 5# every session and getting the reps with form. Although, reps 5 in all sets are often slow, I still get the weight without cheating or flopping the barbell around like a fish.

The deadlift is killer but rewarding. I'm going to keep it at 10# increases until I can't, which might be soon as I was having a heck of a time on rep 5 today.

Other thoughts:

I'm on vacation from this afternoon and I'll be back Friday night. So I'll have 4 complete days of rest before starting right where I left off on Saturday morning. Also, my weight is coming back down, so that's good news.

SCmmaFAN
03-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Sunday - (3-14-2010) - Session 26:

Squat: 287.5 3x5
Press: 135 3x5
Power Cleans: 155 5x3

It's good to be back and lifting again!

My original plan was to come back home Friday and workout Saturday morning. Well, I ended up coming back home mid-afternoon Saturday and I had a ton of stuff to catch up on and decided to lift Sunday morning. This ended up being a very tough workout since I decided to proceed with my usual weight increases. It took a good 20 minutes longer than normal to complete my workout.

I got the squat weight without any serious issues but it was tough.

The OHP was beyond tough. I thought I was going to have rep failures in all sets. I kept focused and determined and got the reps/sets without any serious form breakdown, although the reps were slow.

The power cleans were tough but I took my time with extra rest between sets and got everything without any issues.

Other Thoughts:

I guess some of my lifting paid off. We walked some mountain trails and everyone in the group was complaining about being sore and having muscles in their legs that didn't exist. I laughed at all of them :cool: since my legs weren't even phased by it.

SCmmaFAN
03-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (3/14/2010) - Week 9:

I'm stoked that I lost weight this week since I was on vacation. I didn't eat real bad but it wasn't real good either. My goal was to stay the same weight and I surpassed it. :clap:

JRider23
03-14-2010, 12:06 PM
great work dude! keep it up.

SCmmaFAN
03-15-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm just a tad sore from yesterday, just barely noticeable. I'm surprised since I figured i wouldn't be able to walk :)

SCmmaFAN
03-15-2010, 08:50 AM
great work dude! keep it up.

Thanks!

Off Road
03-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Good job staying on course during the time off.

SCmmaFAN
03-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Tuesday - (3-16-2010) - Session 27:

Squat: 290 3x5
Bench: 235 3x5
Deadlift: 325 1x5

I reached my 850# total goal on the Big 3 :evillaugh:. Onward to 900# and my long term goal of 1000#!!!

My legs were pretty sore this morning, especially on the inside area. So I did some light stretching between the warm up sets. The squat weight felt tough and challenging but I got it without any real issues.

The bench weight is still pounding me but I'm still increasing by 5# every session and getting the reps with form. I only had a serious issue with reps 4 and 5 in set 3. They were slow but I got them. I'm going to try and stick with 5# increases hopefully until I reach 250#, which is a bench press goal. After that I will probably have to drop to 2.5# increases, assuming I make it to 250# with 5# increases.

The deadlift is pretty killer. I can get the weight but I seriously think I'm running out of grip. I'm still using a basic conventional grip on my working sets but still trying the hook grip on warm up sets. The hook grip still feels awkward. Also, I'm debating on dropping the weight increases to 5# a session. The deadlift is 35# ahead of my squat. I would really like it to be more but I don't genuinely think I can keep the 10# increases without losing my reps and having to repeat the workout weight. I might try for one more workout with a 10# increase but I don't know as it's really tough.

Other thoughts:

I ended up eating bad yesterday. I also feel pretty tired from the workout this morning :drooling:.

I'm starting to feel intimidated by the weight I'm lifting. I'm increasing the weight with small amounts and I'm lifting the weights. Still, I can't help but think this might be the day I have rep failures that I don't recover from. Yes, I realize it's not a big deal and it's going to happen sooner or later but it's a mental thing. I guess the fact that I'm pushing myself to the limit it seems on every workout and every lift is physically and mentally draining at times.

SCmmaFAN
03-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Thursday - (3-18-2010) - Session 28:

Squat: 292.5 3x5
Press: 140 2x5, 1x4
Power Cleans: 160 5x3

First, I was in a big hurry this morning but got my workout in.

As you can see, I had a rep failure in set 3 on the OHP. I didn't have anything left to attempt to repeat another rep. I was just spent at this point. I think I'm supposed to repeat the weight 2 times in attempting to get the sets/reps before deloading.

I was having a rough time with the squats. I got the sets/reps but it was really tough this morning. I guess it's going to be a matter of time before I start having failed reps and needing to repeat the weight and then deload after that. Well, I'm happy because I'm having a heck of run without needing to deload.

I got the power cleans and everything was tough but manageable.

Other Thoughts:

I've been having some DOMS on/off for awhile in various areas. I need to get serious and get a stretching routine in place to do in the evening and definitely on non-lifting days.

skinny99
03-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Don't read to much into a bad day in the gym,they happen. Repeat the weight and then keep progressing.

Also on deads are you doing mixed grip on your work sets? A lot of people warmup with conventional Double Overhand grip on warmup and then switch to mixed for their work sets.

SCmmaFAN
03-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Don't read to much into a bad day in the gym,they happen. Repeat the weight and then keep progressing.

Also on deads are you doing mixed grip on your work sets? A lot of people warmup with conventional Double Overhand grip on warmup and then switch to mixed for their work sets.

Thanks!

Yea, I'll repeat the weight, hopefully get it and move on up.

I'm using a convention double overhand on my working sets. I'm working on using a hook grip on my most of my working sets as it's supposed to be better but it feels very awkward to me. I haven't used a mixed grip but I might have to use it in the future. I'd rather not if I don't have to.

SCmmaFAN
03-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Saturday - (3-20-2010) - Session 29:

Squat: 295 3x5
Bench: 240 1x5, 1x4, 1x3
Deadlift: 335 1x4

I started off strong with the squat weight going up without a serious issue. I was thinking that I was going to have a killer workout today.

It fell apart on the bench. I took extra rest between sets and it just wasn't enough. I'm glad that I had the spotter bars on it with my rep failures on the bench. I can't believe how much trouble I had with 240# as opposed to 235# on Tuesday. I was feeling weak on the bench from the get go.

Then it continued to the deadlift. I got the warm up sets, took ample rest and was feeling good again. Then, 335# just kicked my behind. I got the first 3 reps but then I had to catch my breath before attempting rep 4. I had to catch my breath again for rep 5 and just barely budged it off the ground, FAIL. I tried again, BIGGER FAIL!

I'll repeat the bench and deadlift weight next Thursday. I'm wanting to knock it out and move on up but I appear to be getting closer to deloading on some lifts.

Other Thoughts:

My diet is in check and I should have a good weigh in tomorrow. I'm also going to buy some Captains of Crush to help work on my grip.

Off Road
03-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Don't discount the fact that lifts done hard at the beginning of the workout can have a negative impact on the lifts that follow. In other words, the squat killed the bench and deadlift. I'm not sure what Rip suggests, but you might want to take an extended break between the different lifts, like maybe 10 minutes to get recuperated. It might help as you near the end of a cycle.

SCmmaFAN
03-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Don't discount the fact that lifts done hard at the beginning of the workout can have a negative impact on the lifts that follow. In other words, the squat killed the bench and deadlift. I'm not sure what Rip suggests, but you might want to take an extended break between the different lifts, like maybe 10 minutes to get recuperated. It might help as you near the end of a cycle.
Yes, that makes sense.I felt strong and great on the squat. Then I turn around and felt terribly weak on my bench, which I think carried over to the deadlift. I did rest between sets longer than normal but continued from lift to lift continuously. I will take your advice and rest more between the lifts, as it's becoming obvious that I'm nearing the end of this cycle and it's happening on everything almost at once. I have the SS book but my brother has it and I'm going to try and find out what Rip has to say on it.

SCmmaFAN
03-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (3/21/2010) - Week 10:

My weight is moving in the right direction. I was pretty strict with my diet this week and it paid off.

Off Road
03-21-2010, 09:24 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention...GPP/Conditioning will help too. By increasing your conditioning, your work capacity will improve and you will recuperate faster, allowing more volume or more intensity for your workouts.

SCmmaFAN
03-23-2010, 07:31 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention...GPP/Conditioning will help too. By increasing your conditioning, your work capacity will improve and you will recuperate faster, allowing more volume or more intensity for your workouts.

Thanks Off Road! I was afraid to incorporate any sort of conditioning into my program as I was afraid it would affect my recovery, especially being on a mild calorie deficit. I found out the key is not to allow my body to enter a catabolic state (e.g. long distance running). I'm researching now to add GPP into my off days.

Thanks again!!!

SCmmaFAN
03-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Tuesday - (3/23/2010) - Session 30:

Squat: 297.5 3x5
Press: 140 3x5 (repeat attempt #1)
Power Cleans: 165 5x3

This was a good workout. I'm almost to 300# on the squat, which I don't have listed as a goal but it is a milestone of sorts to cross over any centenary mark.

I had a rep failure on the OHP last week, so I repeated the weight. I got all sets/reps without any serious problems. The very last rep was a tad slow but I was nowhere near failure.

Power Cleans just keep going up. My form isn't great but it is improving.

Other Thoughts:

I'm making some changes thanks to Off Road's advice. I've incorporated some additional rest time between lifts. Previously, I would just go from a final working set into the warm-ups of the next lift, which I think was hurting my lifts. Also, I'm going to add some GPP into my off days as well.

skinny99
03-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Tuesday - (3/23/2010) - Session 30:

Squat: 297.5 3x5
Press: 140 3x5 (repeat attempt #1)
Power Cleans: 165 5x3

This was a good workout. I'm almost to 300# on the squat, which I don't have listed as a goal but it is a milestone of sorts to cross over any centenary mark.

I had a rep failure on the OHP last week, so I repeated the weight. I got all sets/reps without any serious problems. The very last rep was a tad slow but I was nowhere near failure.

Power Cleans just keep going up. My form isn't great but it is improving.

Other Thoughts:

I'm making some changes thanks to Off Road's advice. I've incorporated some additional rest time between lifts. Previously, I would just go from a final working set into the warm-ups of the next lift, which I think was hurting my lifts. Also, I'm going to add some GPP into my off days as well.

Great lifting man! Keep going.

Off Road
03-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Nice squatting and congrats on owning all the reps on the press.

SCmmaFAN
03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Great lifting man! Keep going.

Nice squatting and congrats on owning all the reps on the press.
Thanks! I appreciate the positive comments.

SCmmaFAN
03-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Thursday - (3/25/2010) - Session 31:

Squat: 300 3x5
Bench: 240 3x5 (repeat attempt #1)
Deadlift: 335 1x5 (repeat attempt #1)

I'm very pleased with this workout.

I'm at the 300# mark on the squats. It was tough but nowhere near failure on any reps.

The bench weight was a repeat from last week since I had several failed reps. I got the 240# in all sets/reps. The final rep was slow but I got it. I'm debating on dropping the increases to 2.5# a session.

The deadlift was a repeat from last week too...wow...I got the reps but had to try and quickly catch my breath after rep 4 and rep 5 was the hardest rep I've ever attempted or so it seems. It was slow and after getting it I felt like collapsing because I was exhausted. I think I'll drop the increases to 5# a session.

Other Thoughts:

My diet has been in check but my rest is not where I want it to be.

Also, I think I've decided that I'm going to order the #1 Captains of Crush to help with grip training.

feardaram
03-25-2010, 09:21 AM
your strength gains are nothing short of amazing. things are definitely looking great here.

tnathletics2b
03-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Thursday - (3/25/2010) - Session 31:

Squat: 300 3x5
Bench: 240 3x5 (repeat attempt #1)
Deadlift: 335 1x5 (repeat attempt #1)

I'm very pleased with this workout.

I'm at the 300# mark on the squats. It was tough but nowhere near failure on any reps.

The bench weight was a repeat from last week since I had several failed reps. I got the 240# in all sets/reps. The final rep was slow but I got it. I'm debating on dropping the increases to 2.5# a session.

The deadlift was a repeat from last week too...wow...I got the reps but had to try and quickly catch my breath after rep 4 and rep 5 was the hardest rep I've ever attempted or so it seems. It was slow and after getting it I felt like collapsing because I was exhausted. I think I'll drop the increases to 5# a session.

Other Thoughts:

My diet has been in check but my rest is not where I want it to be.

Also, I think I've decided that I'm going to order the #1 Captains of Crush to help with grip training.

Your workouts are shooting up crazy fast!

Good call on the Captains of Crush, by the way. I wonder who threw that out there... :evillaugh:

SCmmaFAN
03-25-2010, 05:40 PM
your strength gains are nothing short of amazing. things are definitely looking great here.

Your workouts are shooting up crazy fast!

Good call on the Captains of Crush, by the way. I wonder who threw that out there... :evillaugh:

Thanks! As you can see my gains are starting to slow down and stall some. It was bound to happen but I'm please I'm gaining as much as I have in such a small amount of time.

I can't imagine where I got the CoC idea from? :idea: I know it wasn't a flash of genius on my end. :scratch:

skinny99
03-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks! As you can see my gains are starting to slow down and stall some. It was bound to happen but I'm please I'm gaining as much as I have in such a small amount of time.

I can't imagine where I got the CoC idea from? :idea: I know it wasn't a flash of genius on my end. :scratch:

Don't be afraid to drop to the smaller weights on progression. It is better to keep progressing than missing reps and repeating!

Good job man!

Off Road
03-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Owning the 300 lb squat must feel great! Congrats.

SCmmaFAN
03-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Don't be afraid to drop to the smaller weights on progression. It is better to keep progressing than missing reps and repeating!

Good job man!
Thanks!

Yes, I'm going to drop the weight progression on several lifts now that I'm running into rep failures. I don't really have a choice as I don't want to deload until I absolutely have to. I want all the linear gains I can muster up.

Owning the 300 lb squat must feel great! Congrats.

Yes, it does feel really good! I think it will be awhile before I can hit 400# (assuming I can) but it's onward and upward on the weights.

SCmmaFAN
03-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Saturday - (3/27/2010) - Session 32:

Squat: 302.5 3x5
Press: 145 3x5
Power Cleans: 170 5x3

I was greedy on this workout. I debated on dropping the OHP and Power Cleans to 2.5# increase but I decided to go for it.

The squat was really tough. I was afraid of rep failures in the final couple of reps but I got it.

I got the OHP but rep 5 in the final set was close to failure. I stalled out about half way through the rep and almost gave up but I dug deep and got it. I'm dropping the increases to 2.5# now.

The power cleans were killer today. I almost had a rep failure on it as well but it was because I scraped my knee. I'm going to stay with 5# increases for now.

Other Thoughts:

My diet is in check and I anticipate a positive weigh in tomorrow. Depending on the weigh in, I might check my bodyfat percentage.

SCmmaFAN
03-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (3/28/2010) - Week 11:

Not much loss for the week but better than gaining weight. I thought my diet was in better check this week but it could be an anomaly. Well, on to next week's diet.

skinny99
03-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Some of the weeks I think I have done perfect eating,the scale doesn't show it. I just keep telling myself that this is a marathon not a sprint. Keep going man!

SCmmaFAN
03-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Some of the weeks I think I have done perfect eating,the scale doesn't show it. I just keep telling myself that this is a marathon not a sprint. Keep going man!
I know what you mean. We just gotta keep going forward!

SCmmaFAN
03-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Tuesday - (3/30/2010) - Session 33:

Squat: 305 3x5
Bench: 245 2x5, 1x4
Deadlift: 340 1x5

This was a tough workout. I had to get up earlier than normal this morning to lift since I had a work related presentation at 8:30.

The squat was very challenging. I wasn't near failure on any reps but overall the weight seemed tougher than normal.

I wanted a 250# bench on Saturday. So I got greedy on the bench and kept the increase at 5# instead of dropping it to 2.5#. I paid the price for this as I had a rep failure in the final set and all sets were tough. I'm dropping down to 2.5# increases, assuming I get the weight on my repeat attempts.

I dropped my deadlift increases to 5# a session and it was a smart move. 340# of 1x5 was brutal but my gosh I got the weight and on to 345# for Saturday.

Other Thoughts:

My eating has been in check and Captains of Crush #1should be on its way to me soon.

SCmmaFAN
04-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Thursday - (4/1/2010) - Session 34:

Squat: 307.5 3x5
Press: 147.5 3x5
Power Cleans: 172.5 5x3

No April Fools joke here! This was good workout.

The squat weight is getting really tough again. I haven't had any rep failures but all sets are killer. I don't know how much further I can go before rep failures start occurring but it doesn't matter, as I'm going as far as SS will take me!

This was the first session where I decreased the weight increases to 2.5#. It was a good thing, as I know I would have had rep failures with 150#. I struggled with the last two reps but got it with decent form.

I also dropped the power clean weight increases to 2.5# as well. After the first 3 sets I was wishing I had stayed at 5#. On sets 4 and 5 I'm glad I didn't make that mistake. :)

Other Thoughts:

My diet is in check but my weight is not really moving. I'll wait for my official weigh and bodyfat measurements this weekend. If things are not improving then I'll drop my calories some more and see what happens.

Mark!
04-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Keep it up bro.

SCmmaFAN
04-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Keep it up bro.
Will do, thanks!!!

SCmmaFAN
04-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Saturday - (4/3/2010) - Session 35:

Squat: 310 3x5
Bench: 245 1x5, 2x3 (repeat attempt #1)
Deadlift: 345 1x5

I thought I might hit 900# for the big 3 today. Well, it wasn't meant to be. I forgot to drink my gatorade this morning before lifting. I don't know if that contributed to the rep failures on the bench but I doubt it since I got the deadlift reps without any issues.

The squats were tough and slow but I got everything without an issue.

This was a repeat attempt on Tuesday's bench. It was worse than Tuesday's. I attempted rep 4 in sets 2 and 3 and couldn't move the weight half-way up before failure. I'll repeat the weight next Thursday.

I figured I'd have a tough time with the deadlift after having the bench rep failures. I got all reps without a serious problem but my gosh those just suck the life right out of me.

Other Thoughts:

My weight is in check and I'll update my weekly weigh in and my body fat % shortly.

Off Road
04-03-2010, 10:26 AM
I love the way those squats just keep going up and up. Great effort!

SCmmaFAN
04-04-2010, 09:34 AM
I love the way those squats just keep going up and up. Great effort!
Thanks!

I still can't believe that I'm still going up in weights without a deload/reset yet!

SCmmaFAN
04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (4/4/2010) - Week 12:

I actually weighed myself on Saturday, since I was anticipating on Saturday being a cheat day. Even so, my weight was still down this morning but I'm taking the Saturday weight to challenge myself for the upcoming week. I had a good week of eating and I'm pretty pleased with the results. If all goes well this week then I'll make one of my goals of weighing in at less than 285#.

Monthly Body Fat % - (March 2010) - End of month 3:

25.8%

Still going down. Although the weight on the scale only reflects about 10 pounds of total weight loss I absolutely can tell that I've lost a lot more fat. I've tightened my belt three notches over this time and I can tell my stomach area is smaller. I'm fully expecting to be at less than 25% body fat next month which is one of my goals.

SCmmaFAN
04-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Tuesday - (4/6/2010) - Session 36:

Squat: 312.5 3x5
Press: 150 2x5, 1x4
Power Cleans: 172.5 5x3

Lifting on 5.5 hours of sleep is not a good idea. I just had to finish watching the NCAA finals last night. I usually can't lift in the afternoon, so I have to tough it out in the morning or skip the day and I'm not big on skipping days.

I got the squat weight and almost had a rep failure on the final rep. I was making sure I was going down far enough on all sets. It was tough but I got it. The weight went up but I'm glad I didn't have to deadlift this morning.

The press was a struggle. I almost had rep failures in all sets. I only couldn't make it on the final rep. I got about 1/4 of the way and I couldn't move it any further.

I actually repeated last Thursday weight but not on purpose. It was too early, I was tired and just had a mental lapse and slapped on the wrong weight. Regardless, the weight was a struggle.

Other Thoughts:

I went to Olive Garden last night with family. Olive Garden is the devil for weight lifters/dieters. My calories came out fine but I had the absolute worst carb day since I started tracking macros/calories.

SCmmaFAN
04-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Thursday - (4/8/2010) - Session 37:

Squat: 315 3x5
Bench: 245 3x5 (repeat attempt #2)
Deadlift: 350 1x5

tHiS wuZ teh BESt weRkoUT eVa!

In all seriousness this was a fantastic workout for me. I reached my goal of 900#+ on the Big 3 and I got 350# on the deadlift, which at this stage is great to me.

The squat weight was slow, slow, slow and tough. I got all sets/reps but I'm afraid that my squat is running out of steam. I'll keep moving ahead though.

The bench was my biggest concern. This session could've been strike 3 and reset time. I got the weight/sets/reps!!! The final rep was a struggle but not too bad. It was by far a better performance than my previous two attempts. I will only increase the bench 2.5# a session from here on out.

The deadlift was a concern too, since I had slow, slow, slow reps on the squat but I felt pretty confident after getting my bench sets. I got all reps but I have to catch my breath usually after rep 3 and rep 4 now. I also held the last rep for 10 seconds to test my grip. I didn't fail myself! Also, for the first time in several weeks I didn't feel completely spent after deadlifting. Don't get me wrong, it was tough and I was tired but over the past few weeks I felt like was on the brink of collapse after deadlifting.

Other Thoughts:

Although things have slowed down considerably, I keep going up and up on SS. I don't know when I'll need a reset but shockingly I never thought I'd make it to the poundage I'm lifting without a reset.

Finally, I wonder how long my standard olympic bar will hold up before bending?

Off Road
04-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Keep milking it man...great progress.

SCmmaFAN
04-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Keep milking it man...great progress.

Thanks!

I definitely think I'm making a nice run on SS. I haven't even deload/reset on anything yet but my numbers are much higher than I thought they'd be at this point.

SCmmaFAN
04-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Saturday - (4/10/2010) - Session 38:

Squat: 317.5 3x5
Press: 150 3x5
Power Cleans: 175 5x3

A tough workout for sure! Everything is getting tougher and slower to complete the reps/sets. Unlike before, I don't have any smaller micro weights and I don't feel like making any. Plus, I think I'll be ready for a deload when the time comes, since I know I'm getting to the end of this cycle.

The squats have gotten really slow. I was whipped pretty bad after finishing my sets.

The press - I got it but it was tough.

I got the power clean weight correct today. :)

Other Thoughts:

My diet has been in check and I'm expecting a positive weigh in tomorrow.

Mark!
04-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Hey man, been slacking on reading here, I apologize for that. Looking good though, squat weight has shot up like a week, awesome stuff buddy. Looking forward to your weigh in tomorrow.

skinny99
04-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Nice lifting man! I am sure it feels great!!

SCmmaFAN
04-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Hey man, been slacking on reading here, I apologize for that. Looking good though, squat weight has shot up like a week, awesome stuff buddy. Looking forward to your weigh in tomorrow.
Thanks! No apology needed for me and I'm glad you dropped back by.

Nice lifting man! I am sure it feels great!!
Thanks, and it does feel great but I'm starting to run out of steam in this cycle.

SCmmaFAN
04-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (4/11/2010) - Week 13:

Well, I finally weighed in at under 285#. So another goal has been met and its on to 280# then onto 275# for my 6/1/2010 goal. I suspect I won't hit 275# unless by that time unless I cut back more.

JRider23
04-11-2010, 02:59 PM
congrats dude. amazing progress right here!

Off Road
04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Progress everywhere. You really have things "dialed in." Good going.

Mark!
04-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Awesome stuff buddy. Great progress.

SCmmaFAN
04-12-2010, 09:57 AM
congrats dude. amazing progress right here!

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with what I've accomplished so far.

Progress everywhere. You really have things "dialed in." Good going.

Thank you! I feel like I got a good system going. I'm going to freak out when I have to leave SS.

Awesome stuff buddy. Great progress.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

SCmmaFAN
04-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Wednesday - (4/14/2010) - Session 39:

Squat: 320 3x5
Bench: 247.5 3x5
Deadlift: 350 1x3.5

In case if anyone was wondering, I moved my workouts to Wednesday, Friday, Sunday for this week. I'm going to be on vacation from Sunday afternoon and returning home Friday evening. So I'll start back up on Saturday when I return with workout B.

The squat was very slow. I think I wasn't squatting deep enough on the first set even though it was slow and tough. Still I made it a point to get lower for set 2 and I thought I was going to have failures. Ironically, in set 3 everything was easier for me. I can't explain it but I got the reps very quick compared to the first two sets.

The bench was tough. I got sets 1 and 2 with rep 5 being slow. On set 3 I got the first three reps without an issue but rep 4 was slow and rep 5 was very slow and I stalled out about 3/4 of the way up and it wasn't budging but I dug really deep and finished the rep properly. I was pleased with the result. On another positive note, I get to attempt 250# for my bench on Sunday!!!

I went into the deadlift really confident. After the first rep I felt I was in trouble. I got two more reps but on rep 4 I got it maybe 2/3 of the way and couldn't go any further. I put the weight down, took some breaths, tried again and had a big fail. I believe the tough squat and bench session just drained me and I was out of steam.

Other Thoughts:

I've come to realize that one of my best purchases has been my digital scale. I really like the thing and it seems accurate and has helped me and my wife track our weight.

I've been eating less calories than I should and I'm dropping my weight too fast this week. So I need to up them a little to keep my weight loss where I want it, so I can keep strength and muscle.

SCmmaFAN
04-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Friday - (4/16/2010) - Session 40:

Squat: 322.5 3x5
Press: 150 3x5
Power Cleans: 177.5 4x3 (didn't attempt the 5th set)

Things are really catching up to me.

The squats are slow. Also, I need to usually take several breaths between reps to make sure I have the energy to go deep enough and complete the rep with form. This isn't cheating, is it?

The press numbers I messed up my weight last Saturday. I actually did 147.5# after checking my logs. So i actually lifted 150# today. It was a real fight in the third set but I'm glad I hit the 150# mark.

The power clean started out good but turned rough. I got the first two sets without an issue. On set 3 I started feeling really tired and was having form break down. I rested longer than normal before attempting set 4 but it was worse. I could barely get the weight up and the form was real bad. Everything was so bad in set 4 that I figured it best to call it quits instead risking a real bad 5th set and injury. I'll repeat the weight/sets next Saturday.

Other Thoughts:

I'm looking forward to my 250# bench and 350# deadlift session on Sunday.

My diet has been in check and I'm expecting a positive weigh in this week.

Mark!
04-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Power cleans drain me man. I had to take them out of my complexes because of that. I hate that feeling. Work looks good. Looking forward to that positive weigh in. My weigh in is gonna suck, whenever that is. Refeeds suck when I look at weight right after. Hopefully I won't be tempted until a few days from now.

SCmmaFAN
04-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Power cleans drain me man. I had to take them out of my complexes because of that. I hate that feeling. Work looks good. Looking forward to that positive weigh in. My weigh in is gonna suck, whenever that is. Refeeds suck when I look at weight right after. Hopefully I won't be tempted until a few days from now.

Yea, I know what you mean. I'd like to drop the Power Cleans for something like Pendlay Rows but I'm going to follow SS as is until it runs its course. Whatever the next program I pick I will probably drop them. They are very taxing but I'm sure an excellent lift though.

SCmmaFAN
04-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Sunday - (4/18/2010) - Session 41:

Squat: 325 3x5
Bench: 250 3x5
Deadlift: 350 1x5 (repeat attempt #1)

This workout almost didn't happen but I'm glad it did. I have the details in my "Other Thoughts" section of this post.

As you can see, I pwnd everything today!!!!! 925#!!! :evillaugh:

The squats sucked! The first set I thought rep one was going to be a failure. The entire set was very tough. Ironically set 2 was easier than set 1 and set 3 was easier than set 2. So I felt I got stronger as the lift progressed. I can't explain it.

I got the bench!!! I'm at 250#!!! Yea!!! ENOUGH SAID!!! :evillaugh:

My scheduling was wrecked today and I had decided that if I had failed reps in the squats or bench or my wife made it home before I finished that I was going to skip the deadlift today. None of those occurred and I got the freakin' deadlift too and it wasn't too bad.....or I should say as bad as I thought it was going to be. I have to take several breaths before attempting each rep but I got everything.

I just felt strong today after the first set of squats.

Other Thoughts:

Well, I'm on vacation right now but it has been a rough day and a half. I was supposed to lift this morning, eat breakfast, finish packing and leave. Yesterday afternoon I got a letter from my satellite provider saying I need to have my dish repointed because of channel changes. I talked to them and they wanted to come out at 8:00 this morning. Without getting into all of the details we had a new dish installed by around 11:00 and the force was in balance for the moment.

Next, a relative and their family "dropped by" for about an hour. I thought they weren't going to leave. So finally my wife needed to go to the store for some sale items before we left. I finally got to lift around 3:30 and it was quite a great session. I had a big refeed meal for dinner and I'm quite happy right now. One thing is that I'm not happy that my new Ipod didn't make it to me in time.

I won't be able to lift until Saturday but I'm going to do some non-weighted GPP to get the blood moving. They supposedly have a weight room here and I'll check it out.

Weigh in was great - read the next post if you are interested.

SCmmaFAN
04-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (4/18/2010) - Week 14:

A nice weigh in with 1.8# of loss for the week. I really want it to be 1.0-1.5# per week but I'll take it any day. I tweaked my calories and it really paid off.

Off Road
04-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Making great progress in lifting and weight loss. Enjoy your vacation, you earned it.

SCmmaFAN
04-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Making great progress in lifting and weight loss. Enjoy your vacation, you earned it.
Thanks OR!!! I really appreciate the compliments!

I've gotten several comments late last week on my physical appearance changing for the better. It keeps me even more motivated. Although I won't be doing any lifting until Saturday, I'm still watching the diet.

tnathletics2b
04-20-2010, 04:47 AM
Sunday - (4/18/2010) - Session 41:

Squat: 325 3x5
Bench: 250 3x5
Deadlift: 350 1x5 (repeat attempt #1)

Awesome numbers! Keep it going and have fun on vacation!

JRider23
04-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks OR!!! I really appreciate the compliments!

I've gotten several comments late last week on my physical appearance changing for the better. It keeps me even more motivated. Although I won't be doing any lifting until Saturday, I'm still watching the diet.

awesome man- must be an amazing feeling! Sorry to ask since i know this has already been specified, but how many lbs do you want to get down to?

waynemeat
04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Really good progress. Lots of inspiration here. Keep it up :)

skinny99
04-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Movin the steel and losing the fat! Heck yeah babay!! Keep goin and enjoy vacation,you will come back stronger!

SCmmaFAN
04-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Awesome numbers! Keep it going and have fun on vacation!

Thanks! The hard work is showing up with the numbers in the weight room and the weight scales. It definitely makes it a little easier to keep going ahead. Also, I'm definitely enjoying the rest.

awesome man- must be an amazing feeling! Sorry to ask since i know this has already been specified, but how many lbs do you want to get down to?

It does feel great that others are noticing the hard work I'm putting in. Actually the weight question hasn't been asked and it's interesting that you bring it up since I was thinking about it yesterday. The short answer is I don't know at this point. I have a goal to reach 250# by the end of 2010. I figured once I reach 250# I might be able to better evaluate where I need to ultimately be with my weight. I haven't been 250# since I was a sophomore in high school at 5'11" (now 6'3").

Really good progress. Lots of inspiration here. Keep it up :)

Thanks for the compliments! I've done well so far but I got a long way to go.

Movin the steel and losing the fat! Heck yeah babay!! Keep goin and enjoy vacation,you will come back stronger!

I like knocking two things out at once!!! I can't wait to come back and lift on Saturday and see if my "rest" has paid off, as I know I'll need it for those power cleans.

SCmmaFAN
04-26-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm back from my vacation. I got back in on Friday and was planning to lift on Saturday but I had a ton of stuff to do all weekend and decided to wait and start back up tomorrow (Tuesday). I can't wait to see how tough it going to feel in the morning.

SCmmaFAN
04-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (4/25/2010) - Week 15:

HAHA, a lousy .2 pound loss for the week. I had my diet fairly well planned out all week for some of the places we were going to be eating. The scale was looking good through Thursday. Then I went somewhere and ate something that blew my weight up 5 pounds in one day. I know I didn't eat that many calories, so I assume that it was very salty and I was retaining all fluids I was consuming. Anyway, the weight worked it's way back down and overall I should be happy.

Off Road
04-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Welcome back...now go lift something! :)

SCmmaFAN
04-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Welcome back...now go lift something! :)

Thanks for the welcoming and I got busy lifting this morning!

SCmmaFAN
04-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Tuesday - (4/27/2010) - Session 42:

Squat: 327.5 3x5
Press: 152.5 3x5
Power Cleans: 177.5 5x3 (repeat attempt #1)

It's good to be back and lifting hard. I was afraid that I was going to have a rough workout but it was pretty good overall.

Workout B is taking me almost 70 minutes to complete now. I can still finish Workout A in about 50-55 minutes usually.

Squats are incredibly slow. I keep getting the weight but I can't imagine I'm going a whole lot higher before deloading. All reps are tough and slow. I'm also taking extra rest between sets.

The OHP was interesting. The first set sucked and I lost my balance on a rep and had to do an extra one to make up for it. Ironically, the second and third sets were better with rep 5 being slow. My shoulders and arms felt like jello after finishing up.

Today was a repeat on the power clean weight. I got everything ok but I'm starting to dislike power cleans. They take me awhile to complete and they just suck the life out of me.

Other Thoughts:

I keep waiting for my barbell to bend but it's still holding up. I'll need to break down soon and buy another set of 45 plates.

Off Road
04-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Excellent effort with some big weights.

SCmmaFAN
04-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Excellent effort with some big weights.

Thanks OR! It was a good day of lifting for my return day.

SCmmaFAN
04-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Thursday - (4/29/2010) - Session 43:

Squat: 330 3x5
Bench: 252.5 3x4
Deadlift: 355 1x3

A tough day indeed.:drooling:

I got the squat reps/sets although I was sure I was going to have rep failures but sure enough I didn't. I'm also making for certain that I'm squatting to parallel or slightly below. Don't get me wrong I've been going deep enough but I always think there is unconscious tendency to not go deep enough as you reach bigger weight.

The bench was rough. I got 3x4 but was no where near complete any rep 5's on any set. Two out of the three rep 5 attempts I barely got it off my chest. The other one I got about 1/3 of the way up and my upper body just gave out.

I was dreading the deadlift after the bench performance. I did all my warm up sets without any issues. I took some extra rest before attempting the working set and got 3 reps without an issue but I attempted rep 4 and moved it about 6 inches off the ground before failure. I took some breaths attempted again and failed in about the same spot. I was just depleted at this point.

Other Thoughts:

My diet is in check but I had a cheat meal on Tuesday and my weight is way up. I know it's the sodium as I've learned I'm very sensitive to increased levels of sodium in my diet.

I need to get a routine set up for off day stretching and GPP/Complexes.

feardaram
04-29-2010, 09:20 AM
big numbers here indeed! you are really making this program work for you.

JRider23
04-29-2010, 03:38 PM
good workout bro- don't let one bad day @ the gym get you down... might be time to deload on bench/deadlift???

SCmmaFAN
04-30-2010, 12:48 PM
big numbers here indeed! you are really making this program work for you.
Thanks! I think SS is about as straight forward and simple program to use. The downside is I think it's simplicity bores younger and returning lifters though. Also, I like being able to push myself real hard and SS is definitely good for that.

good workout bro- don't let one bad day @ the gym get you down... might be time to deload on bench/deadlift???
Yes, I definitely feel a little let down after having two different lift failures. I got over it pretty quick when I realized the failures and lift session are not in vain. If my understanding of SS is correct I have three strikes at a give weight on a lift before deloading. I've only made it to strike two once, I think. So for the deadlift, bench and press I usually have rep failures in one session then get the weight in the next session. I haven't had any rep failures in the squat which shocks me at this point.

JRider23
04-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks! I think SS is about as straight forward and simple program to use. The downside is I think it's simplicity bores younger and returning lifters though. Also, I like being able to push myself real hard and SS is definitely good for that.

Yes, I definitely feel a little let down after having two different lift failures. I got over it pretty quick when I realized the failures and lift session are not in vain. If my understanding of SS is correct I have three strikes at a give weight on a lift before deloading. I've only made it to strike two once, I think. So for the deadlift, bench and press I usually have rep failures in one session then get the weight in the next session. I haven't had any rep failures in the squat which shocks me at this point.

Yeah. I think you'll be able to hit your deadlift next session and hopefully bench. Take this with a grain of salt as i'm not too experienced and this is just a suggestion, but if you start to notice that it's taking 2-3 times with a given weight before you hit the 3x5 (1x5 for deads) it might be a good idea to deload or think about switching to another program.

Off Road
05-01-2010, 07:09 AM
Good attitude. Rep failures are going to happen when things get heavy. We all go through it. Good for you for not throwing in the towel when things get tough.

SCmmaFAN
05-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Saturday - (5/1/2010) - Session 44:

Squat: 332.5 3x5
Press: 155 3x5
Power Cleans: 180 1x3

The squats just keeps moving up. I'm just amazed that it keeps going up without any rep failures. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm just happy and amazed at it. Of course the whole SS program revolves around squatting, so it's all good.

The OHP was unreal for me. I moved the weight pretty good in sets 1 and 2. In set 3 I got the first three reps without an issue, rep 4 was slow and rep 5 took what it seemed 30 seconds. I was grinding that rep out.

Well, the power cleans got ugly. I was warming up with 135# and on the second rep I felt pain in my left shoulder (almost like a pulled muscle) when I was performing the final part of the clean (where your elbows are flexed out at the end). I stopped that warm up set, rested and did another set of warmups at 155#. It was still painful in the final position but not too bad. I went ahead and tried the working set and it was hurting too much to complete the set without having bad form. I figured I'd better hang it up for the day instead of risking an injury. My shoulder hasn't bothered me at all since then but I'll see how it feels tomorrow. Anyone have any input on this?

Other Thoughts:

Tomorrow is my monthly body fat calculation. My weight was up earlier in the week but was ok this morning. I'm hoping for a good weigh in tomorrow morning.

SCmmaFAN
05-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah. I think you'll be able to hit your deadlift next session and hopefully bench. Take this with a grain of salt as i'm not too experienced and this is just a suggestion, but if you start to notice that it's taking 2-3 times with a given weight before you hit the 3x5 (1x5 for deads) it might be a good idea to deload or think about switching to another program.
Thanks! I'm hoping for a good showing on Tuesday with the deadlift and bench. I'm sure I'll be switching programs soon enough as my squat weight will have to give out soon or so I think! I'm aiming to stay on SS through the summer but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

Good attitude. Rep failures are going to happen when things get heavy. We all go through it. Good for you for not throwing in the towel when things get tough.
Thanks, but should I be having failures in almost every other session on a given lift, except squats? Still I'm grinding ahead.

skinny99
05-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks! I'm hoping for a good showing on Tuesday with the deadlift and bench. I'm sure I'll be switching programs soon enough as my squat weight will have to give out soon or so I think! I'm aiming to stay on SS through the summer but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks, but should I be having failures in almost every other session on a given lift, except squats? Still I'm grinding ahead.

On a calorie deficit with the amount of weight your moving I think (and experience) rep failures are gonna happen. It is hard to always be 100% when you are dropping weight. But your lift numbers are looking great! 322.5x5x3 is a lot of work!! Keep going! Good luck on the weigh in.:)

SCmmaFAN
05-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (5/2/010) - Week 16:

Not quite a pound but this was a pretty good weigh in with a weight loss of .8 pound for the week.

I've got 5 weeks left until June 6, 2010 to hit 275#. 6.8/5 is 1.36# a week. I might not make it but I won't be too far from.

Monthly Body Fat % - (April 2010) - End of month 4:

26.3%

This is up from last month because I'm clamping the calipers differently. I know my BF % measurements are not fully accurate but I'm using this to gauge my general progress.

SCmmaFAN
05-02-2010, 04:03 PM
On a calorie deficit with the amount of weight your moving I think (and experience) rep failures are gonna happen. It is hard to always be 100% when you are dropping weight. But your lift numbers are looking great! 322.5x5x3 is a lot of work!! Keep going! Good luck on the weigh in.:)
Thanks for the reminder, as I don't think about the fact that I'm running on a calorie deficit. It probably doesn't help that I usually lift first thing in the morning with only some gatorade or juice in my system as well. Regardless, I'm running SS until I can't any longer.

Oh BTW, you shorted me 10 pounds on my squat. :clown:

skinny99
05-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the reminder, as I don't think about the fact that I'm running on a calorie deficit. It probably doesn't help that I usually lift first thing in the morning with only some gatorade or juice in my system as well. Regardless, I'm running SS until I can't any longer.

Oh BTW, you shorted me 10 pounds on my squat. :clown:

I love doing SS on a deficit! I don't think I could do a higher volume program. Sorry about the slip of the finger!

332.5X5X3 is Big work!!!!! :evillaugh:

SCmmaFAN
05-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Wednesday - (5/5/2010) - Session 45:

Squat: 335 2x5,1x4
Bench: 252.5 3x5 (repeat attempt #1)
Deadlift: 355 1x2 (repeat attempt #1)

Short story: I didn't get to lift yesterday since I was gone all day to get a new car with my wife. We got an early start and should've been back by 3-4 PM but it ended up being 8:00ish. So I lifted this morning.

Well, the first squat failures occurred. The reps were slow and finally in the last set rep 4 was getting rough in form and and rep 5 was bad form and I had to catch myself. So I didn't count the final rep and I just didn't honestly feel I could repeat the rep and actually get it.

The bench rocked! I got all sets and reps without much of an issue. It's real cool that it moved up again!!!

The deadlift was worse than last time. i don't know if the squat and bench sucked the life out of the deadlift or not. Regardless, I got two reps and rep two was very hard but rep 3 I could barely budge it off the ground. I'll repeat the weight again and see what happens. If I get the deadlift next time, I think I'll drop the increases to 2.5# from here on out.

Other Thoughts:

I don't know how my lifting schedule will be for the rest of the week. I have next Monday off and would like to lift on Monday rather than Tuesday since that's one day I won't have to get up early to get my lifting in.

SCmmaFAN
05-05-2010, 09:56 AM
I love doing SS on a deficit! I don't think I could do a higher volume program. Sorry about the slip of the finger!

332.5X5X3 is Big work!!!!! :evillaugh:
SS on a deficit has definitely worked for me as a returning novice. I agree that doing something like 5x5 on a deficit would be pretty tough. I'll get to find out soon enough because I'll still be cutting when I switch programs after SS runs its course.

Off Road
05-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Nice workout. It's obvious that you may be getting ready for a reset of the weights. Of course, it could just be the car shopping, that always sucks the life out of me.

SCmmaFAN
05-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Nice workout. It's obvious that you may be getting ready for a reset of the weights. Of course, it could just be the car shopping, that always sucks the life out of me.
Thanks OR! The car shopping did zap my energy (3 hours to the dealer, 2.5 hours at the dealer, 3 hours back, stopping to eat twice, so it was an all day affair. My wife is happy with her car and the price paid. It's all good.

It's getting closer and closer to a deload for several lifts. I'm fighting it every step of the way but eventually I will succumb to it. :drooling:

SCmmaFAN
05-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm lifting tomorrow morning for workout B. Then I'm going to do workout A on Monday on a day's rest since I'm off of work that day and won't have to get up with the cows and chickens. It's a risky roll of the dice to lift on a day's rest because if I fail on the deadlift again then that is strike 3 at that weight and I have to reset at that point.

SCmmaFAN
05-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Saturday - (5/8/2010) - Session 46:

Squat: 335 3x5 (repeat attempt #1)
Press: 157.5 3x2
Power Cleans: 180 3x3, 2x2

An interesting lift day to say the least.

The weight was my very first squat repeat on SS. They were tough but I got the reps/sets without a serious problem.

I don't what was going on with the OHP. I only got two reps on the three sets. I couldn't get rep three at all. I guess I was just off on the OHP today and will attempt again next Thursday.

I figured the OHP issue would carry over to the power cleans. Also, if you recall, I had a shoulder issue last time with the power cleans and couldn't complete the sets. I had a slight pain in the warm up sets but it went away. I got 3x3 but sets 3 and 5 I only got two reps and the third attempt fell apart so I can't count those. I will attempt 180# again on Thursday and I'm confident I will get the weight and move up.

Other Thoughts:

My diet has been in check but the scale isn't showing it. I still believe I'll have a good weigh in tomorrow.

SCmmaFAN
05-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (5/9/010) - Week 17:

The same as last week. My diet was in check this week but that's the way it goes sometimes. I think the last two times this happened I had a very good weigh in the follow week.

Mark!
05-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Things looking good in here bro. Sometimes we get bogged down with what we're doing right now, that we at times forget where we've come from. Take a look at page 1 of your journal, 295lbs and weight being moved was quite a bit lower. That's great progress and so encouraging for me, and should be for yourself. Great progress thus far, very good stuff man. Keep it up, you got every goal you ever wanted as long as your stay motivated and focused.

JRider23
05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I completely agree with Mark. I just read the first page of your journal.........

You've lost over 10 lbs since then and your strength increases have been INSANE. Keep it up!

SCmmaFAN
05-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Wednesday - (5/12/2010) - Session 47:

Squat: 337.5 3x5
Bench: 255 3x5
Deadlift: 355 1x4 (repeat attempt #2)

The plan was to lift Monday on a day's rest. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it wasn't a good idea with the deadlift deload on the line. I decided to lift on Tuesday as usual but I had only had about 5 hours of sleep and that wouldn't have worked out so well. I went to bed early last night and went all out this morning.

The squat was tough but I got the weight.

The bench was good. I was surprised I went right up in weight without any real issue.

The deadlift was the biggie and I was feeling confident. I got 1x4 but I couldn't get rep #5. I tried a second time and couldn't budge it off the ground. This is strike three on the deadlift, so I will deload and work my way back up and see what happens.

Other Thoughts:

My weight has creeped its way up a little. I'm going to watch everything closely for the rest of the week and if my weight stays the same or is up I will cut my calories some more.

SCmmaFAN
05-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Things looking good in here bro. Sometimes we get bogged down with what we're doing right now, that we at times forget where we've come from. Take a look at page 1 of your journal, 295lbs and weight being moved was quite a bit lower. That's great progress and so encouraging for me, and should be for yourself. Great progress thus far, very good stuff man. Keep it up, you got every goal you ever wanted as long as your stay motivated and focused.

Thanks!!! You are right about getting bogged down in the moment. As with any newbie everything was going up fast in the first three months. Now everything is more of fight (but more normal) and I've gotten caught up in what's going on in the past two weeks rather than the big picture.

I completely agree with Mark. I just read the first page of your journal.........

You've lost over 10 lbs since then and your strength increases have been INSANE. Keep it up!

Thanks for the comments! I've been very pleased with the strength increases and my weight loss. I would like to speed up the weight loss but I don't want to sacrifice my nice strength increases for it.

Off Road
05-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm sure that as the squat gets heavier and heavier that it's cutting into the deadlifts. When the squat starts to stall, make them light squats on the deadlift day. That will give you more recuperation between squat sessions and allow you to push harder on the deadlifts.

Really awesome squatting by the way...

luigisacs
05-13-2010, 05:27 AM
Have you had the time to read Practical Programming. It gives you a progression for the Starting Strength program that can assist. For example what the book staes is that when Deadlifts start getting heavy to rotate them with the cleans. And on the day you would normally do cleans you would do back extensions. The sample workweek would look like so.

Week 1-
A. Squat, Bench, Deadlift
B. Squat, Press, Back extensions, Chins
C. Squat, Bench, Cleans

Week 2-
A Squat, Press, Back extensions, Pullups
B. Squat, Bench, Deadlifts
C. Squat, Press, Back Extensions, Chins

Off Road
05-13-2010, 06:47 AM
when Deadlifts start getting heavy to rotate them with the cleans. And on the day you would normally do cleans you would do back extensions.
That sounds like really good advice.

SCmmaFAN
05-13-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm sure that as the squat gets heavier and heavier that it's cutting into the deadlifts. When the squat starts to stall, make them light squats on the deadlift day. That will give you more recuperation between squat sessions and allow you to push harder on the deadlifts.

Really awesome squatting by the way...
Thanks for the compliment and the tip! I definitely think the squats are killing my deadlift. I remember reading somewhere that if your squat is about equal or greater than your deadlift then your not squatting deep enough. I know I'm going to parallel on the squat, so that shouldn't be the issue. I also remember reading that the deadlift may need to be reset only once during a person's time on SS. Heck, this is the first lift due for a reset. So I'm doing something wrong now or I need to adjust/tweak something else.

Would you recommend lower volume or lower intensity or both?

Have you had the time to read Practical Programming. It gives you a progression for the Starting Strength program that can assist. For example what the book staes is that when Deadlifts start getting heavy to rotate them with the cleans. And on the day you would normally do cleans you would do back extensions. The sample workweek would look like so.

Week 1-
C. Squat, Bench, Cleans

Week 2-

Thanks for your post! I've forgotten a lot of what I read in the PP book. I read PP back in December when I originally bought the book. A bunch of it I didn't grasp at the time and figured I'd come back to it when I was ready. Short story, I let a relative borrow the book and it got misplaced during remodeling. He offered to buy me another copy but I initially told him not to worry about it unless I really needed it and that it would hopefully show up.

Sorry for the ramble...I remember seeing the program you mentioned in your post to be used when something became too intense! I do have a problem in that I can't complete a full chinup or pullup at this time.

That sounds like really good advice.

I agree, it seems pretty good as the next step. Still going all out on every squat session I would think it would still kill my deadlift attempts, whether or not I'm rotating it with the powercleans. I could be wrong though.

luigisacs
05-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the compliment and the tip! I definitely think the squats are killing my deadlift. I remember reading somewhere that if your squat is about equal or greater than your deadlift then your not squatting deep enough. I know I'm going to parallel on the squat, so that shouldn't be the issue. I also remember reading that the deadlift may need to be reset only once during a person's time on SS. Heck, this is the first lift due for a reset. So I'm doing something wrong now or I need to adjust/tweak something else.

Would you recommend lower volume or lower intensity or both?

Thanks for your post! I've forgotten a lot of what I read in the PP book. I read PP back in December when I originally bought the book. A bunch of it I didn't grasp at the time and figured I'd come back to it when I was ready. Short story, I let a relative borrow the book and it got misplaced during remodeling. He offered to buy me another copy but I initially told him not to worry about it unless I really needed it and that it would hopefully show up.

Sorry for the ramble...I remember seeing the program you mentioned in your post to be used when something became too intense! I do have a problem in that I can't complete a full chinup or pullup at this time.

I agree, it seems pretty good as the next step. Still going all out on every squat session I would think it would still kill my deadlift attempts, whether or not I'm rotating it with the powercleans. I could be wrong though.

Another thing to think about is you just may be ready to move onto an intermediate program. The SS model wasn't meant to last forever and I believe you have hit the three month mark no? From my understanding periodization is the process of programming stressors (training sessions) that create an adaption in the body, which after a sufficient rest period, will allow the body to perform at a higher level (stronger) than previous to the original stressor. This seems to be happening for you on the majority of lifts, less the deadlift. However, the stressors imparted should help you get stronger on all the lifts. So if the stress from the prior session is too high, you may be able to gain on the squat and press, but not be sufficiently rested for the deadlift, which is a more taxing effort.

Off Road
05-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Well, I come from a different school of thought than the Starting Strength guys. I think squatting 3 times a week in the beginning is fine, but once the loads get demanding I think twice a week is better. Your body is just going to have a tougher and tougher time recovering from the squats. I think that is what is happening to your deadlift, you just aren't recovering enough. If it were me, I would move deadlifts to the first exercise for that day (deadlift day) and then follow it with a few sets of lighter squats. Squatting heavy twice a week and deadlifting heavy once a week sounds like a great mix, and I'm sure the gurus that I follow (Rader, McCallum, McRoberts, Whelan, and Kubiks) would agree.

SCmmaFAN
05-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Well, I come from a different school of thought than the Starting Strength guys. I think squatting 3 times a week in the beginning is fine, but once the loads get demanding I think twice a week is better. Your body is just going to have a tougher and tougher time recovering from the squats. I think that is what is happening to your deadlift, you just aren't recovering enough. If it were me, I would move deadlifts to the first exercise for that day (deadlift day) and then follow it with a few sets of lighter squats. Squatting heavy twice a week and deadlifting heavy once a week sounds like a great mix, and I'm sure the gurus that I follow (Rader, McCallum, McRoberts, Whelan, and Kubiks) would agree.
Thanks again OR! I really appreciate your thoughts on the matter. The more I honestly think about everything the more I think the squat will kill my deadlift progress and possibly hinder the powercleans. I also think by having the micro-weights has allowed me to increase my squat pretty well without a deload. I think if I had to deal with a minimal of 5# a session increases that I would've deloaded on the squat .

With that in mind, I was thinking about this modification based on your post and wanted your opinion:

Workout B stays the same:
Squat , Press, Powerclean

Workout A modified to:
Deadlift 1x5
Squats 2x5 at 75-80% of previous working set weight
Bench 3x5

SCmmaFAN
05-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Another thing to think about is you just may be ready to move onto an intermediate program. The SS model wasn't meant to last forever and I believe you have hit the three month mark no? From my understanding periodization is the process of programming stressors (training sessions) that create an adaption in the body, which after a sufficient rest period, will allow the body to perform at a higher level (stronger) than previous to the original stressor. This seems to be happening for you on the majority of lifts, less the deadlift. However, the stressors imparted should help you get stronger on all the lifts. So if the stress from the prior session is too high, you may be able to gain on the squat and press, but not be sufficiently rested for the deadlift, which is a more taxing effort.
Cool post! I follow what you are saying and it makes good sense.

I've been on SS for over 4 months now. I've also failed to think about that if I had been forced to increase my squats 5# instead of 2.5# per session I probably would've deloaded by now (which would have change how I've been progressing). So I think this might be throwing things off in the big picture. Regardless, I'm making some sort of modification to the SS program to keep going further before changing programs.

SCmmaFAN
05-13-2010, 07:07 PM

Week 1-
C. Squat, Bench, Cleans

Week 2-

Look what I found from the SS wiki: :)

Onus Wunsler Beginner Program (from SS):

Mark Rippetoe recommends beginners start using the original novice program as is. Later adding chin-ups and/or pull-ups on 2 days of the week when ready. Finally switching to the Onus Wunsler plan when the stress of deadlifting every other training day is too hard to recover from.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift / 5x3 Power Cleans (Alternating)

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
3x10 or 5x10 Back Extensions (unweighted if progressing to GHR, weighted if not)
Chin-Ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

Off Road
05-13-2010, 10:34 PM
I like your modified setup. I think the MOST important thing is progression. Whatever you need to do to keep that squat getting heavier, do it. I've seen guys go to adding 1/2 lb to their squat every week. I've seen other guys drop everything else except the squat to keep it moving. But definately, I'd drop it to twice a week and see if that deadlift start moving again.

SCmmaFAN
05-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Friday - (5/14/2010) - Session 48:

Squat: 340 3x5
Press: 157.5 3x5
Power Cleans: 135 2x5

I felt really strong on the squat this morning. I was pretty pleased even with all reps being slow. :evillaugh:

I was really happy with the press. I moved the weight without any issue. I was pretty surprised at this considering how rough it was on my last attempt. My upper body was drained at this point. :drooling:

Since I'm probably going to modify SS or change to the SS-Onus Wunsler program, I decided to go light on the power cleans because I'm going to attempt my 355 deadlift again.

Other Thoughts:

As everyone has read, I'm going through a tough time with the deadlift. I shouldn't have this issue on SS, as the deadlift should keep going up through the whole SS program with maybe one reset. I'm going to either modify SS or go with a modified SS-Onus Wunsler.

I'm expecting a good weigh in this weekend. My unofficial weigh-in this morning is looking good. I also got another compliment/question on my weight loss!

SCmmaFAN
05-14-2010, 08:22 AM
I like your modified setup. I think the MOST important thing is progression. Whatever you need to do to keep that squat getting heavier, do it. I've seen guys go to adding 1/2 lb to their squat every week. I've seen other guys drop everything else except the squat to keep it moving. But definately, I'd drop it to twice a week and see if that deadlift start moving again.

Thanks OR!

You definitely drove home the point to keep the squat moving. Until I got serious about lifting and really reading up on it, I never knew how important the squat is for development. I'm either going with the modified SS or a modified SS-Onsus Wursler to keep the squat going up and to get my deadlift moving again.

Off Road
05-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Good luck. Your determination is evident in your rising numbers. I know you'll do great.

Mark!
05-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Those comments/questions about weight loss really drives it home doesn't it? I love it when people tell me I'm looking good, and asking what I've been doing. Had a guy today ask what I weighed now and said progress looked stellar. Hell, I'm 8lbs heavier after my cruise and still got a comment. Workouts looking good man. For me deadlift is sketchy. At times, the weight is easy to move, then other times I get stuck. All in a days work bro, as OR said, your determination is evident and with that, you can achieve anything. All of our goals, and our successes come from our mental make up, how we feel and view things and that mind set that we have to possess. Never stop, regardless of set backs or stumbles. Quoted from Robin Hood, which is a great movie..."Rise and Rise Again, Until Lambs become Lions."

skinny99
05-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Keep going man! I have modfied my SS also,there is a point where squatting heavy three days a week is not gonna work!

SCmmaFAN
05-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Good luck. Your determination is evident in your rising numbers. I know you'll do great.

Thanks OR for everything! I can't wait to see if the modifications will pay off.

Those comments/questions about weight loss really drives it home doesn't it? I love it when people tell me I'm looking good, and asking what I've been doing. Had a guy today ask what I weighed now and said progress looked stellar. Hell, I'm 8lbs heavier after my cruise and still got a comment. Workouts looking good man. For me deadlift is sketchy. At times, the weight is easy to move, then other times I get stuck. All in a days work bro, as OR said, your determination is evident and with that, you can achieve anything. All of our goals, and our successes come from our mental make up, how we feel and view things and that mind set that we have to possess. Never stop, regardless of set backs or stumbles. Quoted from Robin Hood, which is a great movie..."Rise and Rise Again, Until Lambs become Lions."

From one big guy to another, I wanted to say thanks for your comments and your journal inspires me as well.

Yes, the comments really does drive it home. I'm switching clothing belts tomorrow as my super fat boy belt is too big and I'm out of holes on it. That makes me feel pretty darn good and I should have a great weigh in tomorrow.

My deadlift was similar to yours, some days easy to move some days not. Now it's very hard to move the weight on any given day. I haven't moved up on my deadlift 5# for over a month now

Keep going man! I have modfied my SS also,there is a point where squatting heavy three days a week is not gonna work!

Thanks! I agree and I've just realized this week that I can't do 3x per week of heavy squatting without it killing my deadlift. My deadlift hasn't moved 5# in a month but the squat has went up 25#. Something has got to give.

Mark!
05-15-2010, 10:27 PM
haha, I just drill holes in my belts unless they're dress belts that I wear with a tucked in shirt. That, or get a canvas one that adjusts simply by pulling it tighter. Love those.

SCmmaFAN
05-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Sunday - (5/16/2010) - Session 49:

Squat: 255 2x5 (75% of working sets)
Bench: 257.5 3x5
Deadlift: 355 1x5

A big lift day! Total on the big three is now at 952.5! Another step closer to 1000 combined.

I did a lighter squat workout today hoping to rejuvenate my deadlifting. I concentrated mostly on form on the lighter squats. Still there was plenty of resistance.

I can't believe I got the bench weight increase again. Reps 4 and 5 were tough in all sets, especially the last one. I got it and on to 260#. :evillaugh:

I decided to try 355 again and I got it. I was drained after rep 5 but I got it! :evillaugh:

Other Thoughts:

I'm going to use this modified SS program to see if my deadlift starts moving again. If I feel that squatting and deadlifting/power cleaning every session is still too much to recover from; then I'll move on to the Onus Wunsler version of SS before moving to an intermediate program. I want to get my deadlift up and moving.

SCmmaFAN
05-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (5/16/010) - Week 18:

I'm under 280# !!! :clap:

I weighed in before I started lifting this morning. I'm down 2# for the week. It seems that even with consistent dieting that the scale doesn't really move one week then it's down a nice amount the second week. I'm just glad it's moving in the right direction.

I'm switching to a new dress/work belt as my super fat boy belt is too big now. I also tightened my lifting belt another notch. Things are definitely moving in the right direction.

SCmmaFAN
05-16-2010, 10:36 AM
haha, I just drill holes in my belts unless they're dress belts that I wear with a tucked in shirt. That, or get a canvas one that adjusts simply by pulling it tighter. Love those.
Now that's funny! :)

I only wear my shirt tucked in when I use a belt. Regardless, I said the same thing to my wife about drilling holes and she said no and that she would get me a new belt. I guess I'm somewhat domesticated now.

Off Road
05-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Looks like your plan is working. Congratulations and great job.

SCmmaFAN
05-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Looks like your plan is working. Congratulations and great job.
Thanks! So far, so good on the plan. :)

SCmmaFAN
05-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Wednesday - (5/19/2010) - Session 50:

Squat: 342.5 3x5
Press: 160 2x3,1x4
Power Cleans: Didn't have time

The squat was great. I moved the weight in all three sets without any issues. I think the light squatting day helped.

The OHP was just outright tough as you can see by the numbers. I just couldn't move the weight today. I will attempt the weight again on Sunday.

I didn't have time to do the power cleans today. I better have a good deadlift day on Friday!

Other Thoughts:

Things have been hectic for me over the past several weeks and once again life has messed up my lifting schedule for this week. I can't complain since I will be able to get in all three lift sessions. Also, I plan to lift on Friday, Sunday and next Tuesday. Speaking of next Tuesday, that afternoon I'm having my three remaining wisdom teeth removed and will be out until probably the following Tuesday depending on what my dentist says.

SCmmaFAN
05-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Friday - (5/21/2010) - Session 51:

Deadlift: 360 1x3
Bench: 260 2x4,1x3

This was a tough workout. :drooling:

I started off with the deadlift. Everything in the warm up sets felt heavy. I finally got to the working set and knocked out 3 reps without an issue. On rep four I got halfway through the rep and just didn't have anything left. I tried another attempt and moved the barbell maybe 6 inches off the ground.

I got the squats without an issue but they felt heavier than what I thought it should.

Bench was tough too. I took plenty of rest between everything but it just wasn't happening today. i was expecting the bench to do this again since I had several bench days in a row without any failures.

All in all a somewhat disappointing workout but I realize I just didn't have it today. Life has been hectic lately but that's the way it goes sometimes and I'm looking forward to Sunday's lifting.

Other Thoughts:

My diet has been in check and I should have a good weigh in on Sunday morning barring any culinary disasters.

I'm also looking forward to getting these wisdom teeth yanked out once and for all.

Mark!
05-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Here's looking for that good weigh in bro, stay at it.

Hope those teeth get taken care of ASAP. I know the last time I had teeth issues it literally screwed up my entire workout routine, and personal life. I was an ass to everyone, in so much dang pain, hated it. I had two wisdom teeth come in sideways, putting pressure on my lower jaw like crazy.

SCmmaFAN
05-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Here's looking for that good weigh in bro, stay at it.

Hope those teeth get taken care of ASAP. I know the last time I had teeth issues it literally screwed up my entire workout routine, and personal life. I was an ass to everyone, in so much dang pain, hated it. I had two wisdom teeth come in sideways, putting pressure on my lower jaw like crazy.

I'm now at the "I hope to have a good weigh in" phase.... :) I went to a chinese buffet last night for a small celebration. Although I didn't go completely insane, I still ate plenty. I weighed in pretty good this morning. I had a softball tournament today and I'm going out to a steak house tonight. So I'll eat pretty good again. We'll see what happens in the morning.

The three remaining wisdom teeth will get yanked Tuesday afternoon. They aren't bothering me at this point but I need to get rid of them before they become a problem.

SCmmaFAN
05-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (5/23/010) - Week 19:

I'm down 0.4 pounds for the week. It's not much but better than gaining. Also, it's pretty good considering that I ate some not so good meals at the end of this week. Plus, I drank a lot gatorade yesterday for the softball tournament I got conscripted into.

SCmmaFAN
05-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Tuesday - (5/25/2010) - Session 52:

Squat: 345 1x5, 2x4
Press: 160 1x5, 1x4, 1x3 (repeat attempt #1)
Power Cleans: 180 2x3, 2x2, 1x1 (repeat attempt #1)

I still hadn't fully recovered from my softball excursion over the weekend and I think it showed today. Also, I had plenty of time and ample rest between sets, so I wasn't in a hurry.

The squat weight was incredibly tough. The first set was slow but I got it. The second and third sets were super tough and I didn't even attempt rep 5 since rep 4 was very tough and slow on both sets.

The OHP was a repeat attempt. I got progressively weaker as the sets progressed.

The power cleans was a repeat attempt too. It's actually a second attempt but the first time I tried 180# I had shoulder pain and stopped after the first set. So I'm not counting that attempt and I had a light power clean day and missed one day. Regardless, I started strong and got weaker too.

Overall, it still felt really good to lift today and I'll be ready for a big lift day on Thursday.

Other Thoughts:

I had a really good weigh in on Monday morning but I won't count it.

Also, my wisdom teeth extraction has been delayed a week. I'll lift Thursday and Saturday this week and Tuesday next week.

Off Road
05-25-2010, 08:49 AM
It definitely seems like you are pushing the upper limits of the cycle. Hang in there and see if there's a break through. And I'm jealous of the Chinese buffet.

JRider23
05-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (5/23/010) - Week 19:

I'm down 0.4 pounds for the week. It's not much but better than gaining. Also, it's pretty good considering that I ate some not so good meals at the end of this week. Plus, I drank a lot gatorade yesterday for the softball tournament I got conscripted into.

good job. also, good work on your last military workout compared to the one before it.

SCmmaFAN
05-26-2010, 08:21 AM
It definitely seems like you are pushing the upper limits of the cycle. Hang in there and see if there's a break through. And I'm jealous of the Chinese buffet.

It definitely seems that past month or so that everything is a fight. I know I won't be a newbie forever and I would love to get one more breakthrough before switching to an intermediate program. I'm probably going to use the Onus Wunsler template when I return from my wisdom teeth recovery.

The Chinese buffets are awesome. Shockingly, I don't eat super bad but I still eat plenty of bad things and enjoy myself when we go.

good job. also, good work on your last military workout compared to the one before it.

Thanks! I felt really strong on the press that day.

SCmmaFAN
05-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Thursday - (5/27/2010) - Session 53:

Deadlift: 360 0x0 (repeat attempt #1), 295 1x5
Bench: 260 2x5,1x4 (repeat attempt #1)

WOW! I couldn't budge the deadlift weight. I tried once and failed. Rested a few more minutes and failed again to get even 1 rep!!! Instead of wasting my deadlift day I went down to 295# and did a set of 5. I'm frustrated with the deadlift to say the least.

Today was a light day on the squat. It seemed tougher than before but everything was ok.

I was feeling really good on the bench. I got the first two sets and I was trucking along on the third set. Then about 2/3 of the way up on the final rep the barbell just comes crashing down. I mean my body just gave out. I guess I pushed myself to the limit today.

Other Thoughts:

I've decided that I'm definitely switching to the Onus Wunsler template when I return from my dental adventures. It's another step toward the intermediate level but still allows me to keep linear progression for little bit longer.

JRider23
05-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Thursday - (5/27/2010) - Session 53:

Deadlift: 360 0x0 (repeat attempt #1), 295 1x5
Bench: 260 2x5,1x4 (repeat attempt #1)

WOW! I couldn't budge the deadlift weight. I tried once and failed. Rested a few more minutes and failed again to get even 1 rep!!! Instead of wasting my deadlift day I went down to 295# and did a set of 5. I'm frustrated with the deadlift to say the least.

Today was a light day on the squat. It seemed tougher than before but everything was ok.

I was feeling really good on the bench. I got the first two sets and I was trucking along on the third set. Then about 2/3 of the way up on the final rep the barbell just comes crashing down. I mean my body just gave out. I guess I pushed myself to the limit today.

Other Thoughts:

I've decided that I'm definitely switching to the Onus Wunsler template when I return from my dental adventures. It's another step toward the intermediate level but still allows me to keep linear progression for little bit longer.

I think that's a good idea with the template switch. You're definitely hitting the gym hard, and it seems like a lot of your lifts have stalled- Still have dam good numbers. We all have bad days too, don't worry about it.

skinny99
05-28-2010, 06:48 AM
I think there is a point where switching it up helps. I like to get off SS for a couple weeks and do different things,then start SS back over and get stronger again! The linear progression is awesome!

SCmmaFAN
05-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I think that's a good idea with the template switch. You're definitely hitting the gym hard, and it seems like a lot of your lifts have stalled- Still have dam good numbers. We all have bad days too, don't worry about it.

Hopefully, it will be a good idea. The template switch should allow me enough recovery time for the deadlifts and power cleans. I know this is only a temporary fix, as I can't keep on any version/flavor/template of SS forever. I already have rep failures in all lifts, so I'm not really progressing linearly any longer. Still I want to stick it out for as long as reasonably possible.

I think there is a point where switching it up helps. I like to get off SS for a couple weeks and do different things,then start SS back over and get stronger again! The linear progression is awesome!

Yes, I have to do something since my deadlift and power cleans have stalled pretty badly. The template is hopefully just different enough from SS that maybe I'll get one final burst of linear progression. Still, I realize that I haven't really been having true linear progress for awhile and that I will have to switch to a different program in the near future.

SCmmaFAN
05-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Saturday - (5/29/2010) - Session 54:

Squat: 345 3x5
Press: 160 3x4 (repeat attempt #2)
Back Extensions 2x5
Chin Ups 2x5 (assisted)

I got the squat with slow and difficult reps!!! It felt good to get this.

The OHP was tough and I couldn't get the fifth rep in any set.

I sort of took a step towards the Onus Wunsler SS template. I went ahead and brought in some back extensions. I also did some assisted chins.

Other Thoughts:

I don't know how the weigh in will go tomorrow. We are having a BBQ today and hopefully I won't lose my mind and go insane with my eating.

Off Road
05-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Nice job on the squats. It's like I said, when you are pushing the top weights on a big exercise, everything else is going to suffer a little. That's one of the reasons that Stuart McRoberts suggest dropping everything but the biggest lifts that you are still progressing on. In other words, keep the progression going on the squats and let everything else just tag along to get the work in.

Mark!
05-29-2010, 10:10 PM
How'd the BBQ go bro? I've been hitting the crap out of some ribs recently, dry rub, smoked...greatness. Awesome squats too. 345x3x5 is awesome.

SCmmaFAN
05-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (5/30/10) - Week 20:

I'm down a full pound for the week. My goal was to be at 275 next weekend. I don't think I'll make it but I won't be too far off. Overall, I'm very pleased!

SCmmaFAN
05-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Nice job on the squats. It's like I said, when you are pushing the top weights on a big exercise, everything else is going to suffer a little. That's one of the reasons that Stuart McRoberts suggest dropping everything but the biggest lifts that you are still progressing on. In other words, keep the progression going on the squats and let everything else just tag along to get the work in.

Thanks OR! I'm definitely going to keep that squat moving if at all possible (along with the bench). I'm thinking by decreasing the deadlift and power clean frequency that they'll maybe start moving again.

How'd the BBQ go bro? I've been hitting the crap out of some ribs recently, dry rub, smoked...greatness. Awesome squats too. 345x3x5 is awesome.

Thanks! The BBQ was great. I had several members of the family over. I smoked some country style ribs and some chicken quarters. It turned out pretty tasty. I love ribs, as yourself, but my gosh they can be really calorie heavy.

Mark!
05-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I got a half rack of beef ribs sitting in my freezer right now waiting for me, probably chow down on them Wednesday or Thursday. Even though it's my refeed days, I still want to keep my main meals low carb, not carb free, but lower carb than usual. Brookshires, a smaller family type grocery store has some chicken quarters that come already seasoned, man those things are amazingly tasty.

SCmmaFAN
05-31-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I got a half rack of beef ribs sitting in my freezer right now waiting for me, probably chow down on them Wednesday or Thursday. Even though it's my refeed days, I still want to keep my main meals low carb, not carb free, but lower carb than usual. Brookshires, a smaller family type grocery store has some chicken quarters that come already seasoned, man those things are amazingly tasty.
I'm glad it's grilling/smoking time! I got a rack of baby back ribs waiting for me in the freezer. I was planning to use those for July 4th but I might break down and devour them much sooner.

SCmmaFAN
05-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Well, I decided to lift today. This will be my last lifting for about week since I'm getting 3 wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow afternoon. I thought about running through my scheduled routine but I wanted to do something different. Several journals I follow have folks using 5/3/1 and several of them have been testing maxes lately. I figured I had plenty of time today, so I wanted to figure out my 1RM for the big three. I know it isn't the best idea to test all three in one day but I figured what the heck. The plan was to test squat, bench and deadlift in that order.

Squat 1RM test:

Bar x 5
135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 1
315 x 1
345 x 1
355 x 1 PR
365 x 1 PR
375 x 1 PR
385 x 1 PR
395 x 1 PR
405 x 1 PR
410 x 1 PR
415 x 1 PR
417.5 x 1 PR

What a test! I didn't have any clue on how I'd perform. My previous 1RM was 350 as a senior in high school. I know I could crush it, since my working sets of 3x5 is 345. My dream coming in was to hit 400. I kept going up and getting the weight. I rested 3 minutes between lifts. When I attempted 395 it started to get pretty tough for one rep. I made it to 417.5 and got it with a lot of effort but with good form. At this point, I was literally out of plates. I had nothing left to load on it but I was pretty beat at this point so all is well. I don't think I had a whole lot left in me.

Bench 1RM Test:

Bar x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 1
265 x 1
275 x 1
295 x 1 Tied PR
315 x 0
305 x 0

After getting the squat weights I was pretty jacked up. All was going well. I did 295 and tied a PR and instead of going up another 10 pound I went for 20 instead. I got the weight 1/2 way up and I held it there trying to move and finally my body gave out. I rested and dropped the weight down to 305 and was feeling I might could get it. I must of been worn out because I moved the weight about 6 inches off of my chest and couldn't go any further. Still, I tied my PR from 9 years ago. I've never cracked 300 on the bench for a PR but I was close and might of got it if I didn't get greedy. Regardless, I'm well on my way to crushing it!!!

I was an 1:30 into the lift session and decided at this point I was pretty worn out so I passed on the deadlift test. After my previous deadlift performances I'm glad I didn't test today.

Mark!
05-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Man, I'm sure the DL test would have been brutal. Amazing progress on squats and bench though! Big congrats on the squat PR's, that's huge brah. Great stuff.

SCmmaFAN
06-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Man, I'm sure the DL test would have been brutal. Amazing progress on squats and bench though! Big congrats on the squat PR's, that's huge brah. Great stuff.

Thanks!!!

Yea, the deadlift test would've been a bad idea for a lot of reasons. If you told me in January that I would have close to a 300 pound bench after 5 months of returned lifting I wouldn't believe it. If you would've said I'd have a 400 pound squat I would have laughed at you and said you were out of your mind. I'm really shocked at my squat weight increase. I'm thinking about modifying my squat and start going to below parallel.

SCmmaFAN
06-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm off to the dentist to get these wisdom teeth yanked out! I'll check back in later.

JRider23
06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Awesome job on the squats man- that is sick!!!!!!!!!!! Bench was good too. I bet you could have hit more if you didn't do them right after squats. Would be curious to see what your deadlift 1RM is. Good job nonetheless- how long are you going to be out for?

Off Road
06-01-2010, 04:21 PM
You turned into a squatting monster.

SCmmaFAN
06-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Awesome job on the squats man- that is sick!!!!!!!!!!! Bench was good too. I bet you could have hit more if you didn't do them right after squats. Would be curious to see what your deadlift 1RM is. Good job nonetheless- how long are you going to be out for?

Thanks!!! My squatting effort even impressed me. Your right, the bench effort may have been better served on a separate day. Still I'm happy with it because I've gotten my bench to where I've peaked twice in my life before I stopped lifting. This time nothing is stopping me! Also, I'm looking forward to testing my deadlift. I'm switching templates and I'll be deadlifting every other week, so I should be able to get my numbers moving again.

Finally, I'm going to be out for the remainder of the week. I'll start back up next Tuesday on the new template.

You turned into a squatting monster.
I guess I am becoming one. :) Out of everything I've accomplished over the past 5 months of lifting I must say the squatting has shocked me. Until SS I've never squatted much. I did a little in high school for football but when I started lifting again in college I never squatted or deadlifted. I was one of those bench and curl jockeys everyone on this board loathes but not anymore!

SCmmaFAN
06-02-2010, 10:16 AM
My wisdom teeth extraction went well. I had three of them pulled. My top right one and both bottom ones. The top one came out pretty easily. The bottom two the dentist had to cut them into two and extracted each root separately. It took 1:15 from start to finish. I feel pretty good and everything clotted up last night. I should be able to resume lifting next week.

JRider23
06-02-2010, 01:21 PM
glad to hear it went well... after the way you've been hitting the gym lately, i think that 6 days off is ideal for you anyway.

SCmmaFAN
06-02-2010, 07:06 PM
glad to hear it went well... after the way you've been hitting the gym lately, i think that 6 days off is ideal for you anyway.

The timing worked out perfectly, as it was time to end this cycle. I'm already stoked about starting a new SS template and can't wait to start next Tuesday.

SCmmaFAN
06-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Just an update on things. Overall, my healing is going well. My gum in the area of one extraction is still very tender but everything seems to be getting better by the day. My plan is to definitely return on Tuesday. Also, I should have a good weigh-in tomorrow morning.

I decided to go with the "Onus Wunsler" variation of SS, since it will allow me to deadlift every 4th session and allow me to start working on chinups (assisted). I made one modification to squat workout A. Instead of a regular 3x5 linear increase I'm going to make it a light squat day to A) give myself a mental break on squatting hard every session, B) to not drain myself for the deadlift and power cleans that day. Also, I'm thinking about using GHR's instead of back extensions. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Onus Wunsler Beginner Program (from SS):

Workout A
2x5 Light Squat (75-80% of working set weights)
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift / 5x3 Power Cleans (Alternating)

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
3x10 or 5x10 Back Extensions (unweighted if progressing to GHR, weighted if not)
Chin-Ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Mark!
06-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I wish my wisdom teeth would be easy to get out. I had 1 removed, went fine, but I've got two impacted (turned sideways). I'll be knocked out for those whenever I decide to get them done. Lifting is awesome man, will be good to see you get back in to the mix. For me with GHR's I feel I get more out of them as compared to Back Extensions, however I've been doing back at the end of a workout here lately. GHR's are hard to do without a GHR set up.

SCmmaFAN
06-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (6/6/10) - Week 21:

I'm down 2.2 pounds for the week. I haven't been eating normally, so my daily caloric intake has been down. My goal was to be at 275 this weekend. I'm only 1.2 pounds from my first serious weight loss goal!

SCmmaFAN
06-06-2010, 09:55 AM
I wish my wisdom teeth would be easy to get out. I had 1 removed, went fine, but I've got two impacted (turned sideways). I'll be knocked out for those whenever I decide to get them done. Lifting is awesome man, will be good to see you get back in to the mix. For me with GHR's I feel I get more out of them as compared to Back Extensions, however I've been doing back at the end of a workout here lately. GHR's are hard to do without a GHR set up.
Yea, they are quite a pain in the you know what. Everyone tells me how crazy I am to have three extracted while awake. I don't recommend it for most folks. I was getting very fatigued during the third extraction. All of mine were exposed, well except the last one which was partially exposed but none were turned sideways. I think I got an infection because the gum area of the third extraction is still very tender and sensitive and doesn't seem to be getting better. I'll probably call the dentist tomorrow for his opinion.

I don't have the equipment used for back extensions or GHR's so both are tough for a homemade approach. I found a homemade approach online that I might try out.

Mark!
06-06-2010, 07:27 PM
For GHR's, I use the smith machine, lower the bar all the way, wrap a foam pad around the bar for my feet, foam pad on the ground, and put about 225 on the bar to keep it down. It aint pretty at all, but it works.

SCmmaFAN
06-07-2010, 01:59 PM
For GHR's, I use the smith machine, lower the bar all the way, wrap a foam pad around the bar for my feet, foam pad on the ground, and put about 225 on the bar to keep it down. It aint pretty at all, but it works.
I was going to do something very similar for GHR's at home. Pad a barbell on the ground, load it up, and use my foam pad. I'll see how well it works out.

SCmmaFAN
06-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I just got back from the dentist. Unfortunately, I have a somewhat painful dry socket. Fortunately, it is already correcting itself and I got some meds to help speed up the healing.

So my return has been delayed for a few days.

Off Road
06-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Heal up fast

JRider23
06-09-2010, 05:28 PM
275 is just around the corner. I know this is premature, but congrats on (almost) reaching your first milestone bro!!!! many more to come.

SCmmaFAN
06-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Heal up fast

Thanks for the kind words! I'm hoping to make my return tomorrow morning.

275 is just around the corner. I know this is premature, but congrats on (almost) reaching your first milestone bro!!!! many more to come.

Thank you! It's been a good ride and I'm hoping for many more milestones to pass.

tnathletics2b
06-11-2010, 05:57 AM
Man, I felt like I got beat with a crowbar in the head after my wisdom teeth were removed and I was out for about 2 weeks- glad you are doing better than that...

I bet you could have hit 430 or higher on your squats if you had just jumped up high instead of working up in 5-10 pound increments- that wasn't just a max day, that was a heck of a workout!

SCmmaFAN
06-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Man, I felt like I got beat with a crowbar in the head after my wisdom teeth were removed and I was out for about 2 weeks- glad you are doing better than that...

I bet you could have hit 430 or higher on your squats if you had just jumped up high instead of working up in 5-10 pound increments- that wasn't just a max day, that was a heck of a workout!
I had my first wisdom tooth extracted about 10 years ago. It was done at 7:30 AM and I was at work by 9:00 AM. I got fussed at by a lot of people telling me I was setting a bad example. :tuttut:

I was doing good this time around until I got a dry socket. It wasn't as painful or as bad as I read. So I thought my discomfort, etc. was probably pretty normal since that extraction was the toughest of the three. It didn't seem to let off over last weekend and I decided to let my dentist check it out, just in case.

If it wasn't for that dang dry socket I would've been lifting last Saturday because everything else felt great. I wanted to lift Thursday or today but I'm still waking up with pressure in the dry socket area and a small headache (all normal). It fades away after about 30 minutes but by that point it's too late for me to lift. I'm definitely lifting tomorrow though, as I can't take it anymore.

Thanks on the lifting comment. Man, my squatting felt really strong that day and you're right it turned into a workout. I went up slowly because I had no idea where I would end up. I didn't think it would be 400+ pounds though.

SCmmaFAN
06-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Saturday - (6/12/2010)

Deadlift: 315 1x5
Press: 145 3x5
Squat: 245 2x5 (75% of working sets)

My first day back in almost two weeks. I decided last week to go ahead and deload about 10% on all lifts and work my way back up. It felt good to get back in the swing of things but things were definitely tougher than I anticipated.

Other Thoughts:

I'm hoping to be under 275 tomorrow morning! I've been watching my calories but not my macros, since I was trying to find foods that wouldn't pester me too much.

My wisdom teeth are healing more and more every day. It more of an inconvenience than anything else now. I'll also finish my antibiotics today.

Mark!
06-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Pay CLOSE attention to the pain and pressure after you're finished with the antibiotics. Right after I finished mine, infection came in and it all went to heck it seemed. However, I had infection before they ever started working on them, so maybe that has something to do with it. Glad you're lifting again bro, hope everything continues healing quickly and you're back to 100% soon.

SCmmaFAN
06-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (6/13/10) - Week 22:

I've surpassed my first serious weight goal of reaching 275. This was 2.6 pounds lost this week. It's more than I would like to lose in a week, since I don't want to burn up my muscles too badly. Also, my caloric intake was still low earlier this week. Now my appetite is normal and I'm back on my regular diet trying hit my daily caloric intake and macro percentages.

Other Thoughts:

My lower back is very stiff today from what I assume is from deadlifting.

SCmmaFAN
06-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Pay CLOSE attention to the pain and pressure after you're finished with the antibiotics. Right after I finished mine, infection came in and it all went to heck it seemed. However, I had infection before they ever started working on them, so maybe that has something to do with it. Glad you're lifting again bro, hope everything continues healing quickly and you're back to 100% soon.

Thanks! I finished my antibiotics last night. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on things. Overall, I feel great now!

SCmmaFAN
06-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Tuesday - (6/15/2010)

Squat: 310 3x5
Bench Press: 3x5 225
Back Extensions: 3x8 (supposed to get 3x10)
Chin-Ups: 3 sets to failure (3x5 assisted)

A nice workout this morning. I decided to up the intensity during this deload period by having minimal but adeqaute rest. I'm also doing this to help reduce my workout session time. It worked out pretty good. Everything felt good and I have a lot of work to do on back extensions and chin-ups.

Other Thoughts:

Not much to add. I'm feeling pretty good and it's nice that things are getting back to normal.

Off Road
06-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Nice to see you back on track.

SCmmaFAN
06-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Nice to see you back on track.

Thanks! It's great to be back!!!