PDA

View Full Version : KoSh's Block Party

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

KoSh
01-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Block Training is new to me, and major kudos to ehubbard for the help so far with setting things up.

STATSUPDATED: 8/22/2010

Stats:
5'8"
187 lbs

Lifts:
Bench: 315 (As of June 2010)
Squat: 405 (As of June 2010)
Dead: 455 [w/o straps] (As of March 2010)

Goal:
To be a badass son of a bitch :)

KoSh
01-17-2010, 09:21 AM
1/17
Dynamic Effort Upper Body Da

Speed Bench:
9x3 @ 165 lb

Used three different grips. Index fingers on the smooth, thumbs extended from smooth, pinkies on rings. Each for 3 sets. I don't have bands yet so I'm going to run through this for a bit without them and them add them as I go.

DB Bench:
5x5 @ 80 lb DBs

Felt great.

JM Presses
3x8 @ 25lb plates on the EZ Curl Bar

First time I've done a legit JM Press... These things are the truth.

Chest Supported T-Bar Rows
3x10 @ 45 lb plate & 25 lbs plate

Fun, fun, fun.

Side, Front, Rear Delt Raises
1x15 @ 10lb plates, 1x15 @ 5 lb plates

These kind of sucked after everything else. Those tens felt like they were 100's. But I wanted to make sure I got 2 sets of 15 in and I did just that.

Really enjoyed training today. I always do, but today was especially awesome. Looking forward to this Westside thing :)

nickp8
01-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Are you going to be doing a Defranco WS4SB type program or are you going to with a westside setup like what they are doing now? The only reason I ask is because I remember seeing a post that you are a strength coach for a football team.

-JM-
01-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Good luck with the WS template Kosh. You seem pretty pumped about it.

Are you using the EFS beginner manual?

KoSh
01-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Are you going to be doing a Defranco WS4SB type program or are you going to with a westside setup like what they are doing now? The only reason I ask is because I remember seeing a post that you are a strength coach for a football team.

Yup, I'm a strength coach, but I'm not using the WS4SB template. I'm trying to run it as close to what they do as I can (which still won't be correct as there's a ton of intricacies that will be hard to nail down without actually being at WSBB).

Nope. Just reading everything I can online and rolling from there. Wasn't even aware of the beginner manual, to tell the truth :)

Would the beginner training manual/basic training manual be beneficial to me?

brihead301
01-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Good luck becoming a bada** sonuvabitch brotha! I think you will accomplish your goal!

KoSh
01-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Good luck becoming a bada** sonuvabitch brotha! I think you will accomplish your goal!

Thanks bro. I'm definitely getting it done.

KoSh
01-18-2010, 09:16 AM
1/18
ME Squat Day

Box Squat: Box slightly below parallel:
Bar x 5
135x5
225x3
275x3
315x1
335x1
365x1
385x0

Smoked 365. It was brutal. Felt bad for the weight. I knew I had 385 in me, but I got stuck in the hole. That's always been my achilles with squats and it looks like it continues. Gotta get that fixed. Anyone else with getting out of the hole problems have any fixes that worked for you?

Good Mornings:
3x5 @ 185

Havoc. Havoc on the low back. Loved every second of the havoc.

Pull Throughs
3x10 @ 140, 155, 170

I got a bunch of funny looks here. How fun.

Calf Raise
3x10 @ 45 lb plate in hand off platform

I hate my calves, so I shall grow them.

Decline Weighted Sit Ups
3x10 w/ 45 lb plate held overhead

Pfft. I'll be holding 100's up in no time ;)

So, on my box squats, some stupid bastard on the bench was pointing and laughing at me with his buddy. I lowered my volume to hear what numbnuts was saying, just so I could get a giggle. I hear him say, "Hah, what a pussy, he needs to use boxes to squat. He's trying to impress everyone by loading big weight on the bar!" They laugh... I stare him down and just grin.

So I look back over and Sugar Muffin (which is what I'll call him from now on) has 275 on the bench... He proceeds to go to about 3 inches down and struggles to get it back up, so his buddy is trying to curl the weight. He does 3 reps like this and his buddy was dripping after. I walked by him and nodded and calmly said, "Nice workout..." He kind of looks at me like he's tough... And I reply with, "Not you, your spotter. Curling 275 is no joke."

I walked away. Satisfied. Happy. Empowered.

I love training.

Off Road
01-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Curling 275 is no joke...Bwahaha that's hilarious :evillaugh:

Nice workouts BTW...I'll be checking in often.

-JM-
01-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Looking good mate. Try not to finish you ME exercise on a miss. Take the weight again or slightly less and nail the rep.

BTW a 365 box squat is awesome.

I would recommend that EFS manual. Its written by Wendler too. A structured WS template over 12 weeks.

KoSh
01-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Looking good mate. Try not to finish you ME exercise on a miss. Take the weight again or slightly less and nail the rep.

Yeah. After I came home I thought about it and realized I screwed the pooch on that one. I'll get it next time.

BTW a 365 box squat is awesome.

I would recommend that EFS manual. Its written by Wendler too. A structured WS template over 12 weeks.

Thanks man. I'll look into it.

Just did a cardio session...

Plyo X. I've never done anything p90x related. That was kind of fun.

My cardio sessions will be twice a week. One will be a heavy bag/MMA session (When the gym I go to is open) and one will be a p90x yoga/plyo/cardio session.

Should be exciting. :)

slashkills
01-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Off to a great start."curling 275 is no joke" Thats freakin hilarious

KoSh
01-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Curling 275 is no joke...Bwahaha that's hilarious :evillaugh:

Nice workouts BTW...I'll be checking in often.

Off to a great start."curling 275 is no joke" Thats freakin hilarious

Thanks fellas. I'll be looking in on your journals as well.

KoSh
01-18-2010, 06:56 PM

Just bought and DL'ed that and the basic training manual.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to give them a good read through.

AKMass
01-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Waddup KoSh? I'll be tracking your progress here... Did you keep a 5-3-1 journal? Where is it?

Strong lifts, hopefully I can get to where you're at in a year or so.

KoSh
01-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Waddup KoSh? I'll be tracking your progress here... Did you keep a 5-3-1 journal? Where is it?

Strong lifts, hopefully I can get to where you're at in a year or so.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125216&highlight=KoSh

There's my 531 log.

You'll get there, man. I'm just going to try and stay a step ahead of you... Hope you don't mind :)

LuNa
01-20-2010, 09:35 AM
So, on my box squats, some stupid bastard on the bench was pointing and laughing at me with his buddy. I lowered my volume to hear what numbnuts was saying, just so I could get a giggle. I hear him say, "Hah, what a pussy, he needs to use boxes to squat. He's trying to impress everyone by loading big weight on the bar!" They laugh... I stare him down and just grin.

So I look back over and Sugar Muffin (which is what I'll call him from now on) has 275 on the bench... He proceeds to go to about 3 inches down and struggles to get it back up, so his buddy is trying to curl the weight. He does 3 reps like this and his buddy was dripping after. I walked by him and nodded and calmly said, "Nice workout..." He kind of looks at me like he's tough... And I reply with, "Not you, your spotter. Curling 275 is no joke."

I walked away. Satisfied. Happy. Empowered.

I love training.

That was epic!

Good to see you getting started on Westside. I didnt really follow your 5/3/1 journal but ill definitaly check this one. Best of luck with the program, from what i know, it seems to be quite complex.

AKMass
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125216&highlight=KoSh

There's my 531 log.

You'll get there, man. I'm just going to try and stay a step ahead of you... Hope you don't mind :)

Awesome! You really crushed 5-3-1. Inspirational and motivational. Are you still keeping up the ridiculous schedule (kickball, baseball, mma, etc)? I don't know if I could gain with that much activity. :confused:

KoSh
01-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Awesome! You really crushed 5-3-1. Inspirational and motivational. Are you still keeping up the ridiculous schedule (kickball, baseball, mma, etc)? I don't know if I could gain with that much activity. :confused:

Not quite. MMA once every two weeks or so. But I'm doing heavy bag boxing training 1-2 days a week and doing another intense cardio session during the week as well. I'm killing the carbs. Eating a ton of them. I feel great. I'm still pretty toned aside from a few pockets of fat that are beginning to form that I could get rid of in no time. Killing the protein as well. I'm definitely getting stronger and bigger.

brihead301
01-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Damn man, it sounds like you're really trainin your arse off in here. All that side activity aside from the gym. Good stuff man, very good stuff!

KoSh
01-20-2010, 03:32 PM
1/20
ME Bench Day

Floor Press:
Bar x 5
95x5
135x5
225x3
255x1
275x1
285x1
295x1
300x1

Threw 300 up like it was nothing. I think I have a few more pounds in me on these. I had two young guys watching me do these and they came over and started doing them right next to me. Told me I was a beast. I assured them I wasn't but thanked them for the compliment. Felt really good.

Military Press:
3x5 @ 135

Fun. Of the un variety.

DB Bench
3x10 @ 60, 70, 70 lb DBs

Real light work, no struggle at all with these. Hypertrophy, hurray!

Tricep Pushdown
3x10 @ 110, 130, 150

Yup.

Chins with FULL hange of motion, hanging at the bottom for a 2 count
10, 10, 6

Ran. Out. Of. Gas.

What an awesome day. Crushed some weight. I'm thinking my bench is much higher than 300, judging by the fact I floor pressed 300 and I'm pretty sure my chest isn't my weak point on the bench. We'll see in 12 weeks or so. :)

Cardio:
Treadmill- 15 minutes

7.5 minutes walking at 3-3.5 and 7.5 minutes jogging at 5.5.

Off Road
01-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Nice session with the un-fun and hypertrophy :evillaugh:

KoSh
01-21-2010, 04:58 AM
Damn man, it sounds like you're really trainin your arse off in here. All that side activity aside from the gym. Good stuff man, very good stuff!

Nice session with the un-fun and hypertrophy :evillaugh:

Thanks fellas. I only know one speed... Full :)

Hopefully that doesn't wind up hurting me in the long run :)

brihead301
01-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Nah, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Nice bench session here man!

KoSh
01-21-2010, 02:31 PM
1/21
Dynamic Squat Day

Low Box (2" off the ground) Box Squats:
10x2 @ 185

Went lower because I figured I could break my sticking point... Both mentally and physically by going even lower and busting out of the hole with some speed. These went pretty good. There were a few sets I didn't like my bar speed, so I redid them ;)

Deficit Deads:
7x1 @ 64% (295) 1x1 @ 315, 1x1 @335, 1x1 @ 355

I felt good so I worked up a little bit. 355 was smooth as hell. Definitely didn't wamt to go too much higher, didn't want this to turn into a ME lift... Although I was tempted to go four plates... But temptation leads to bad things sometimes... And good things others. I erred on the side of caution.

Reverse Hypers
3x10

I don't have a Reverse Hyper machine, so I just sit a bench as high as I can get it and do them body weight style to the best of my ability. Eventually I'll start throwing a dumbbell between my feet.

Zerchers Sits
3x6 @ 95 lbs

I hate to love these.

A good day. I cut some of the volume down. I was starting to drag and decided it was important to get out ASAP. The motivation is certainly there, I slept like crap last night and it caught up to me. I hate when I wake up at 3 AM and don't get back to sleep until 5AM, just in time for my alarm to go off at 5:30. Bastard alarm. I hate you and everything you stand for.

Conditioning:
Real light. Did 1x100, 1x50, 1x25, 1x13, 1x6, 1x3 1x1 jumping jacks.

Off Road
01-21-2010, 02:53 PM
How the heck do you box squat on a 2" box :eek:

-JM-
01-21-2010, 04:56 PM
So much energy in here Kosh. Good man.

wtf is up with the 2" box squats though?...You may be the the first person to be squatting to a one board......;)

KoSh
01-21-2010, 06:42 PM
So much energy in here Kosh. Good man.

wtf is up with the 2" box squats though?...You may be the the first person to be squatting to a one board......;)

Truth be told, I don't use boxes. I use those stupid fitness step things. When I want to set them higher there's extra blocks to put underneath. I didn't feel like setting them higher, so I went to 2". Besides, I felt like it would help me out of the hole. The first few I was REAL slow out of the hole. I was not expecting it to be that hard. Got it going really well though for the rest of the sets :)

Besides, the one board won't work, my ass is too big.

KoSh
01-22-2010, 04:54 AM
Nah, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Nice bench session here man!

Just saw this. Thanks brother!

slashkills
01-22-2010, 06:16 AM
squatting off a 2" box is insane. Strong floor presses!

KoSh
01-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks, slash.

Just got done with a 30 minute heavy bag workout. Went kind of light... sharp, snappy punches. No power shots. Went 15 mins with the 12 oz gloves and 15 mins with the 4 oz gloves. Starting to not get happy with my body fat % so I think I'm going to start screwing with my diet to try to keep me a bit leaner while still in a bulk.

KoSh
01-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Starting the EFS Beginner Manual, 12 week program. I think it would be beneficial for me to run through things the way guys who actually train at Westside suggest first and then make my own routines.

1/24
Dynamic Bench Day, Week I/Day I

Speed Bench:
8x3 @ 185, 3 grips: pointers on smooth, thumbs extended, ring finger on ring.

Simple and straight forward. Felt real good. Played around with foot positioning. Think I found a real good spot that helps keep me real tight!

4 Board Press:
3x3: 185, 245, 305

In the manual they say this doesn't have to be a true 3RM, so since this was the first time I actually did board presses I worked up slow. Lack of a spotter had me stop at 305. 305 felt heavy as hell, but I haven't held anything over 285 on a bench press in almost a year and I got all three reps with very little problem. I definitely have alot more in me. ALOT more. Duly noted for the future.

DB Bench
3x10, 65,70,75

Felt easy as hell. Last week I did 70's for the last set and I thought I left 2-3 reps in the tank. Today I did 75s and I feel like I left 4-5 reps in the tank.

DB Bent Over Rows
3x10: 40, 50, 50

Paused at the top of the contraction and at the bottom of the reps. First time doing bent over rows with DBs (yes, really, I usually do one arm DB rows or Kroc Rows) so this was kind of a feeler. They were tougher than I thought ;)

Triceps Pushdowns: Straight Bar
4x12: 90 lbs

Not used to the high rep work, glad I'm starting to incorporate it a little bit slowly. These burned but were no problem.

Zottman Curls
2x6: 20 lb DBs

Great burn to finish things off.

I didn't do any conditioning today. I'm trying to do conditioning by feel. I feel a little bit beat up after the session and don't want any conditioning stuff to effect my recovery, so taking a conditioning day off in honor of the NFC/AFC Championship games.

Great workout. Had a kid come up to me and say, "Those boards are insane, dude! That's AWESOME! I've never seen those before!!" I pointed him in the direction of Westside and the Book of Methods. He works at the gym, but he was just there training. Perhaps the Westside Barbell Culture may be infiltrating my gym!?

PS: I've noticed that people like to talk alot in my gym... Just an observation. ;)

Twirl
01-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Awsome workout inensity in here man! Where did you find the EFS Beginner manual if you don't mind?

KoSh
01-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Awsome workout inensity in here man! Where did you find the EFS Beginner manual if you don't mind?

Thanks for the kudos!

You can find the manual at EliteFTS (google it) and look under e-books or books in the store :)

nickp8
01-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Nice lifting Kosh.

Coke
01-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Efforts are solid man, good luck with your goals.

Off Road
01-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Yes...a solid workout.

LuNa
01-25-2010, 02:49 AM
Nice session. Westside looks like fun. I definitely like the variations on the main lifts.

slashkills
01-25-2010, 05:01 AM
sweet DE day dude

KoSh
01-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Nice lifting Kosh.

Efforts are solid man, good luck with your goals.

Yes...a solid workout.

Nice session. Westside looks like fun. I definitely like the variations on the main lifts.

sweet DE day dude

Thanks, fellas. Trying to get after it. I'm real amped for my ME Squat day today. Low box squats (Not 2" off the floor low, this time, though :))

Rv,

Westside is a blast as long as you do enough reading and do it correctly! I highly recommend looking into it. WS, WS4SB and 5/3/1 are three of the best routine setups I've ever been a part of!

brihead301
01-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Haha, nice to see that you are influencing some people. It's better to have a kid look up to a guy that knows what he's doing rather then some dude following some BBing routine out of a magazine or something. Nice work too!

KoSh
01-25-2010, 03:25 PM
1/25
ME Squat Day, Week I/Day II

Box Squat, 2" below parallel, slightly more narrow stance than usual:
Barx5
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x5
335x5

I got more in me, but not tonight. I know my limitations and would have dumped any higher a weight after those sets. Especially since I only did 1-1.5 minute breaks between these sets. But now that I know I can get 335x5 I'm upping the ante next week

GHR:
Get 30 reps: 15, 10, 5

Yeah. I can't do a full one, so I get into an iso pushup position a hair above parallel pushup position and I try my best to use no push off. A partially torn hammy a year ago is crippling me on these, but the more I do them the better that hammy feels!

DB Lunges
3x10, 10, 25, 40

Manual suggests BW for first set. I went with tens. I'm really trying to follow this thing. These were rough anyways. After the squats/GHR my legs hated me.

45 Degree Back Raises
3x10: 10, 10, 10

I used to hold a 45 lb plate on my chest to do these. The manual suggested using tens behind the head. I held it like I was laying in a hammock chilling in the sun, so elbows out, weight against my head. Yup. Those suck. With an already shredded body those really pack a punch.

Feet Anchored Weighted Sits
3x10: 10, 10, 10

Tens held the same way as the raises. My abs hurt ;)

Total Workout Time:
1 Hour 1 Minute

No one talked to me today. That's a bonus! But this workout beat the crap out of me. Tried to pick up the pace for a little GPP. I feel like it was effective. :)

I never say this, but I'm excited for a day off tomorrow!!!

Coke
01-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Lunges are indeed killer, good job throughout, especially with the box squats bro.

KoSh
01-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks, Cocoa.

Just noticed a sharp pain on my second ab on the left side (the first larger ab). When I rub it, it hurts REAL bad and it appears to have some kind of bump/bulge just underneath the skin. It doesn't hurt at all when I'm not touching it. Don't remember hitting it with anything or injuring it, but who knows. Hoping it's going to be very minor and not something major, but, the fact it doesn't hurt unless I touch it seems like it's a good thing.

At first, I didn't realize I was hurt, I scratched my abs and it felt like I had an ingrown hair. So I looked and nothing. I rubbed harder and felt a sharp pain and the little bump.

Probably nothing, but little **** like this bothers me :P

slashkills
01-25-2010, 08:43 PM
i had a similiar thing happen to me before. Took about a week to get back to 100%. Good lower workout!

AKMass
01-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Enjoy your day off KoSh! I'm going to use it to inch closer to your lifts though... I mean all I have to do is add like 300 lbs to my total. In a day. :p

KoSh
01-26-2010, 04:49 AM
i had a similiar thing happen to me before. Took about a week to get back to 100%. Good lower workout!

Yeah, feels better today. Still a little sensitive... but its no big deal!

Enjoy your day off KoSh! I'm going to use it to inch closer to your lifts though... I mean all I have to do is add like 300 lbs to my total. In a day. :p

Oh, I will... But I'm going to be itching to get back in the gym anyways haha...

Keep pushing, you'll get there. Hard work pays off :)

Off Road
01-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Hope the abs okay. Probably just pulled something.

-JM-
01-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Hitting those sessions to the T, Kosh. Awesome efforts and holy ****, that is some excellent squatting!

I didnt complete this program because my girly elbows became so ****ed. I am really looking forward to seeing the results you get. Not smashing all out out maxes straight away will be vital. Nice one!

nickp8
01-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Nice squating Kosh. Db lunges are one of my favorite excersises, they are painful.

KoSh
01-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Hope the abs okay. Probably just pulled something.

I think I just have to pull the sand out of my you know what.

Hitting those sessions to the T, Kosh. Awesome efforts and holy ****, that is some excellent squatting!

I didnt complete this program because my girly elbows became so ****ed. I am really looking forward to seeing the results you get. Not smashing all out out maxes straight away will be vital. Nice one!

Thanks for the manual recommendation again. I really like the 5RM then 3RM protocol. I'll probably design my own 1RM program based off the basic training book after I finish running this one. I was looking up RAW totals for my bodyweight (179 yesterday) and I'm getting close to MASTER classification and now I'm even more amped up. I'm going to hit ELITE. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. I will ****ing get there.

Nice squating Kosh. Db lunges are one of my favorite excersises, they are painful.

What was painful was the cougar that was right next to me while doing them. Talk about a distraction... :P

KoSh
01-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Added pics to OP... This is my fave... Showing off the 'Skins tat :)

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28274&d=1264541616

Coke
01-27-2010, 01:07 AM
Truly representing in that shot, where do you actually reside?

KoSh
01-27-2010, 03:51 AM
Truly representing in that shot, where do you actually reside?

Rochester, NY.

Dad is a 'Skins fan, so I was born into it. Die Hard, man. This last season was really rough. First year I didn't make it down for a game/training game in the last 5 years. :(

slashkills
01-27-2010, 05:49 AM
your a redskins fan? im sorry to hear that

brihead301
01-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Hey man, as an Eagles fan I'd say better to be a skins fan then a Dallas or Giants fan. The redskins are the only other team in our division that I don't hate (although the birds will still smoke dem bitches!)

Arms are lookin big too, good stuff!

KoSh
01-27-2010, 08:16 AM
your a redskins fan? im sorry to hear that

I'm not sorry about it. I live and bleed burgundy and gold, man. We stink, but it'll be that much more fun when we start winning again :)

Hey man, as an Eagles fan I'd say better to be a skins fan then a Dallas or Giants fan. The redskins are the only other team in our division that I don't hate (although the birds will still smoke dem bitches!)

Arms are lookin big too, good stuff!

Thanks, man. I'm feeling really good lately... Although I have a pretty nasty head cold today, I'm still going to the gym tonight to crush some weights. And crush them I will. :)

I didn't even notice how different my arms looked lately until I took that picture, by the way... LOL!

Off Road
01-27-2010, 08:34 AM
I feel your pain...I'm a Seahawks fan :mad:

AKMass
01-27-2010, 11:11 AM
I feel your pain...I'm a Seahawks fan :mad:

Ouch...I grew up in Seattle. I wouldn't know what it's like to love a team that sucks, cuz I'm a Dolphins fan, lol. :alcoholic:

KoSh
01-27-2010, 03:41 PM
1/27
ME Bench Day, Week I/Day III

2 Board Press:
Barx5
Barx5
135x5
185x5
225x5
245x5
265x5
280x5
285x5

Underestimated how much weight I could move. Last one on 285 actually starting coming back down on me when I threw it back up. Classic tale of me taking too much out of myself. I almost guarantee I can get 290-295 if not 300 for 5 here.

Pull Ups:
1st Set: Max Reps: 14
5x7 after that

Head cold took a bit out of me. Only got 14 for max reps. Crushed the 5 sets of 7.

3 Way Shoulder Raises
3x20 (10, 5, 5)

Holy crap. These blow.

DB Tricep Extensions
3x10 (20, 30, 30)

Felt good.

Total Workout Time:
58 minutes

Felt like crap throughout the training, but I felt pretty good about the actual session. Days off are for the really, really sick, the weak, or the people with more of a life than me. ;)

Off Road
01-27-2010, 03:51 PM
14 pull-ups...very nice. I'm good for around 7 on a good day :confused:

nickp8
01-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Good job with the board presses and pull ups.

Coke
01-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Solid training for the upper body dude.

AKMass
01-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Way to get in there when sick! Something must be going around WBB...

KoSh
01-28-2010, 06:06 AM
14 pull-ups...very nice. I'm good for around 7 on a good day :confused:

Well, I'm only 180 pounds, so 14 blows... Must...Get... Better... :)

Good job with the board presses and pull ups.

Thank you, sir!

Solid training for the upper body dude.

Thanks!!

Way to get in there when sick! Something must be going around WBB...

Yeah, it's called beastitis. :)

borobulker
01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Rochester, NY.

Dad is a 'Skins fan, so I was born into it. Die Hard, man. This last season was really rough. First year I didn't make it down for a game/training game in the last 5 years. :(

I may have asked you this - Where do you train at? I just moved to Sea Breeze area and I am training at a few places around the area... Feel free to PM.

KoSh
01-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I may have asked you this - Where do you train at? I just moved to Sea Breeze area and I am training at a few places around the area... Feel free to PM.

RAC in Greece Ridge Mall

KoSh
01-28-2010, 02:09 PM
1/28
DE Squat Day, Week I/Day IV

Speed Low Box Squat:
10x2 @ 185 lbs

Weight flew up. It literally almost came off my back a few times. Had to start pulling down on the bar on the way up.

Speed Deadlifts
10x1 @ 55% (245 lbs.)

Cake walk.

Reverse Hypers
3x10 (10, 10, 10)

Easy.

DB Side Bends
3x10 (50, 50, 50)

Yup.

Hanging Leg Raises
3x10

These blow.

Total Workout Time:
43 minutes

Again, felt like crap. But I got through it. Going to have to take one day off and start next weeks cycle because I'm going to a football clinic Thursday/Friday next week.

Here's a video of a speed dead with 245. Just figured out how to do this... :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jjy7VRwT_Q

Sorry for the awful quality... PS: I don't think it's working... Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jjy7VRwT_Q

KoSh
01-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Ok, screw it... Can't get the video to embed. Deal with the link and shoddy quality ;)

borobulker
01-28-2010, 08:09 PM
RAC in Greece Ridge Mall

O ok...
They have a reverse hyper?

KoSh
01-29-2010, 04:06 AM
O ok...
They have a reverse hyper?

No. I ghetto rig one :)

slashkills
01-29-2010, 06:00 AM
Yeah, it's called beastitis. :)

When im at the doctors again im gonna tell him i think i have a case of beastitis

-JM-
01-29-2010, 06:35 AM
Excellent sessions Kosh. Tearing it a new one.

AKMass
01-29-2010, 07:00 AM
When im at the doctors again im gonna tell him i think i have a case of beastitis

Lol, just make sure you don't slip and say beastiality-itis... Might get a funny look.

Nice to see you speed pulling what I use as a work set KoSh.

KoSh
01-29-2010, 09:09 AM

Excellent. Let us know the results.

Excellent sessions Kosh. Tearing it a new one.

Thanks, Flynn. I'm trying.

Nice to see you speed pulling what I use as a work set KoSh.

I used to use 245 to deadlift, too. You'll get there, man. Keep plugging.

borobulker
01-30-2010, 01:16 PM
No. I ghetto rig one :)

Awesome... Keep smashing it bro...

KoSh
01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
1/30
DE Bench Day, Week II/Day I

Speed Bench:
8x2 @ 55% (185 lbs) 1x2 @ 70% (215 lbs)

215 for two was fast and powerful. Felt awesome.

4 Board Bench
3x3 (255, 305, 325 [PR])

325x3 was pretty easy, actually. To be honest, I have NO idea what to expect out of my bench when I test in 10 weeks. Could be anywhere between 295 and 325 I think at this point LOL.

DB Bench
4x10 (65, 70, 75, 75)

Same as last week except an extra set, I opted to stay with the 75s and it was a good choice. Ran out of gas on that last set. Got ten but the RPE was definitely a 9.5. Volume. MMMMMMMMM. I hate you.... But I love you at the same time.

DB Bent Over Row
4x10 (40, 40, 50, 50)

More volume than last week. Last week I went 40, 50, 50. This week I added the extra 40 to get used to it. I should have went up, these were much easier this week. Disappointed in myself.

Tricep Pushdown
4x12 (90, 90, 95, 95)

Did 3 for 90 lbs last week. Did 2 for 90 and 2 for 95. Felt easy. Again, disappointed in myself here.

Zottman Curls
2x6 (25 lb)

20's were hell last week. 25s were cake.

Total Workout Time:
59 minutes

Much higher volume, much quicker time in the gym. Felt really good going through it today. I hadn't eaten much either, as I ate breakfast at 8 and didnt get to the gym until 1:30 or so. Short rest period this week as well due to the fact I'm going out of town Thursday...

Coke
01-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Fine effort bro, looks good all around.

nickp8
01-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Strong lifting Kosh, I have a feeling you will like the results in 10 weeks.

slashkills
01-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Beastly lifting dude! so your going heavy on your second lift on DE day? hows that working out for you?

KoSh
01-31-2010, 01:06 AM
Fine effort bro, looks good all around.

Strong lifting Kosh, I have a feeling you will like the results in 10 weeks.

Thanks, fellas!

Beastly lifting dude! so your going heavy on your second lift on DE day? hows that working out for you?

Love it. The low volume approach is great and it's never an incredibly taxing exercise... 4 Board isn't exactly gut wrenching, even when giving it your all. :)

Off Road
01-31-2010, 07:56 AM
Nice work Kosh.

KoSh
01-31-2010, 10:04 AM
1/31
ME Squat Day, Week II/Day II

Low Box Squat:
Barx8
Barx5
95x5
135x5
225x3
280x5
320x5
345x4 (failed 5th rep about an inch off the box)

Set a BAD tone for the workout. I was REAL pissed. I'm going to destroy it next week.

GHR
40 reps (10, 8, 7, 8, 7)

Last week I didn't do a slow eccentric phase. Did that this week. Took the wind right out of my sails. I was really feeling like crap at this point. Confidence was way down.

DB Lunge
4x10 (15, 25, 35, 40)

Easier than last week and I was dragging at this point. Then something amazing happened... iPod intervention...

'Cause sometimes you feel tired,
feel weak, and when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up.
But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
and just pull that **** out of you and get that motivation to not give up
and not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse.

That hit on my iPod and it was ON!

45 Degree Back Raises
4x12 (10 lbs for all sets)

Crushed these.

Feet Anchored Weighted Sit Ups
4x10 (10 lbs for all sets)

Destruction.

Total Workout Time:
1 hour 15 minutes

Thank you, Eminem, for getting me through this workout. Brought me right back!

Off Road
01-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Set a BAD tone for the workout. I was REAL pissed. I'm going to destroy it next week!
Right there with ya...I had a crappy squat workout yesterday and I'm still in a rotten mood about it.

slashkills
01-31-2010, 03:57 PM
you will smash it next week man. Everyone has off days

AKMass
01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Haha, nothin like Eminem to get you pumped back up! Strong finish. :thumbup:

LuNa
02-02-2010, 02:54 AM
LOL, that song has been the beginning of every work out. I usually have a couple of songs that get me into hyper mode, but that one is my favourite.

Coke
02-02-2010, 03:55 AM
Kept the session tight throughout, especially towards the end, lol.

KoSh
02-02-2010, 02:38 PM
2/2
ME Bench Day, Week II/Day III

2 Board Press:
Barx5
135x5
185x5
225x5
265x5
290x5 PR

Crushed 290 out of absolute rage. My god damn iPod broke, the headphone jack isn't in the damn iPod anymore... Somehow... I was enraged and on top of it I had to listen to the big guy across the gym breathe... Not grunt or exhale, but breathe. That son of a bitch was loud and freakin' clear. Bothered the crap out of me. Blow your damn nose, it definitely sounded like a huge snot rocket. Should have went for more with the amount of adrenaline pumping through my body. 290 was freakin' easy today.

Pull Ups
6x7

The last set got a little tough. Oh well. Still defeated the exercise.

3 Way Shoulder Raises
3x20 (1x20 all 3 ways 10 lbs, 1x10 10 lbs, 1x10 5 lbs, 1x20 5 lbs)

These suck more than any other exercise I've ever done.

DB Tricep Extensions
4x10 (25 lbs for all sets)

Hammer Curls
4x5 w/ each arm (25 lbs for all sets)

Total Workout Time:
45 minutes

Gotta go buy a new damned iPod now. Son of a bitch.

slashkills
02-02-2010, 02:49 PM
great work today dude! That totally blows you jacked up your ipod. I wont workout unless i have my music.

KoSh
02-02-2010, 02:55 PM
great work today dude! That totally blows you jacked up your ipod. I wont workout unless i have my music.

I discovered it was broken on my way inside the gym. I have to coach the guys tonight at 6PM EST and I didn't have my music on hand with me so even if I bought one on the spot it wouldn't have been of any use.

We have a defensive meeting afterwards so that'll be a good 2 hours. I won't get home until 10, so I didn't have time to go to the gym afterwards. So I was screwed.

Managed without it, I guess.

AKMass
02-02-2010, 02:59 PM
That sucks bro...But what would you rather have, an iPod or a 290 bench? I know what I'd pick, lol.

KoSh
02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
That sucks bro...But what would you rather have, an iPod or a 290 bench? I know what I'd pick, lol.

Bah, it was a 2 Board Press for 5. :P

nickp8
02-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Nice board press Kosh.

LuNa
02-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Nice press!

KoSh
02-03-2010, 05:39 AM
Nice board press Kosh.

Nice press!

Thanks, fellas!

-JM-
02-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Awesome 2board Kosh.

That is funny about the guy breathing loudly. I was at a dental pain clinic a while back and this 350+lb guy was just sitting there weezing like a set of busted bag pipes. I was thinkin' ''for christs sake man, blow your ****ing nose or clear your throat or SOMETHING''....no need to be like that. Funny now though.

What about just getting an ipod shuffle for the gym?

KoSh
02-03-2010, 06:09 AM
I'm thinking about the Shuffle, but I feel like I'll struggle without having the screen on it. The iPod I had that broke is probably 8 years old.

-JM-
02-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Tell me about it man, I have the classic 60gb. Its about 4-5 years old. I had to get a shuffle or else add an extra 50lbs to my squat, lol.

KoSh
02-03-2010, 06:23 AM
I don't know how I feel about the newer shuffles, either. They're strange looking. But much cheaper than a nano and I wouldn't have to buy the arm strap, either.

AKMass
02-03-2010, 07:14 AM
I'd go with the shuffle personally. It does suck not having a screen, but it shouldn't be a big deal if you only put music that you like on it. Also, given your activity level, it seems like the shuffle would be better since if it breaks your only out $50. Might even be able to get it cheaper on eBay.

KoSh
02-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Yeah... I'm debating myself right now. On one hand, the new nanos look sweet. They have a built in video camera and FM transmitter. On the other hand, I'd be paying more than $100 more for the nano + an arm band.

But then I stop and think to myself, "Should I just get the nano and do it right so that I'm not disappointed?"

I don't know. I think it's going to be a gametime decision at the store.

KoSh
02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
2/3
Dynamic Squat Day Week II/Day IV

Speed Low Box Squat:
10x2 @ 60% (215 lbs)

Great session. The weight was flying.

Deadlift
10x1 @ 60% (ish) 275 lbs

Real easy. Felt real fast and strong coming off the floor.

Reverse Hypers
4x10

Side Bends
3x10 (50, 55, 60)

Hanging Leg Raise
3x10

Total Workout Time:
Uhhh forgot to look at clock.

Got a Sansa Fuze to replace the iPod. Much cheaper, looked ten times more durable than the 5th gen iPod. Those things are damn flimsy.

I'm off until Sunday. Going to a football clinic tomorrow night through friday night. Wooo! Extra rest days! :)

Coke
02-03-2010, 04:31 PM
You have been doing very well Kosh, props...good deal on the football clinic.

KoSh
02-03-2010, 04:41 PM
You have been doing very well Kosh, props...good deal on the football clinic.

Thanks man!

Forgot to mention... Weighed in (with socks, shorts, beater and cut off) at 178. That's WAY less than I was earlier in the week. I'm okay with weighing less... So long as I keep getting stronger and look bigger :)

mcdonough9395
02-03-2010, 05:14 PM
178?! Damn man ... Thats a killer strength/weight ratio. Keep trucking.

AKMass
02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
I've heard good things about Sansa. Where do you get your music from? Or do you just have a huge collection already?

Nice session. You're making it real hard to catch your numbers!

KoSh
02-04-2010, 04:56 AM
178?! Damn man ... Thats a killer strength/weight ratio. Keep trucking.

Thanks bud.

I've heard good things about Sansa. Where do you get your music from? Or do you just have a huge collection already?

Nice session. You're making it real hard to catch your numbers!

I have a collection.

And good, I want it to be hard to catch my numbers. But let's see where my numbers are in 10 weeks before we make such statements, shall we? :)

AKMass
02-04-2010, 07:34 PM
And good, I want it to be hard to catch my numbers. But let's see where my numbers are in 10 weeks before we make such statements, shall we? :)

Meh, alright. But at the rate you're going, you'll be even farther ahead! :hello:

KoSh
02-07-2010, 09:46 AM
2/7
Dynamic Bench Day Week III/Day I

Speed Bench:
8x3 @ 60% (185 lbs), 1x2 @ 70% (215), 1x1 @ 80% (245)

245 flew up. Felt real good. I definitely feel much faster.

4 Board Press
3x265
3x315
3x330 PR

330 felt pretty good going up. Slowed down big time at the very top of the lockout on the last rep but then I really tightened up and it flew up from that point pretty well.

DB Bench
5x10 (65, 70, 75, 80, 85)

Last week on 4x10 I did 75s for the 3rd and 4th set and the 4th set was killer, was a 10RPE. This week 80's on set 4 were probably an 8 RPE and 85s on the 5th set were probably a 9.5 RPE.

DB Bent Over Rows
5x10 (40, 45, 50, 50, 55)

Tricep PushDowns
4x12 (90, 90, 95, 100)

Total Workout Time:
1 hour 5 minutes... I warmed up for awhile on bench. Probably did 6 or 7 warm up sets with the bar, 95 lbs and 135 lbs.

Felt good after three days off to get back in the swing of things. I feel stronger every time I hit the gym. This is the last week for these exercises, so looking to get PRs in everything so I have something to beat when I switch back again.

4g64fiero
02-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I have had 3 sansa media players and they like to erase themselves completely.

Erase as in "destroy its OS as well as all your music".

That being said, they are incredibly easy to fix as far as software goes. You can even run unix on them and install games. I prefer them.

Coke
02-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Effort is looking tight, nice job.

nickp8
02-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Good job on the board presses.

AKMass
02-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Welcome back KoSh. Nice work benching! How was the football camp dealy?

KoSh
02-07-2010, 08:37 PM
The clinic went well. We didn't get a whole lot of stuff that translates to the high school game from the collegiate game, though.

-JM-
02-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Nice 4 board Kosh!

That is strong DB pressing too. I know how much it sucks after all the bench work beforehand.

KoSh
02-08-2010, 06:05 PM
2/8
ME Squat Day Week III/Day II

Low Box Squat:
Barx5
95x5
135x5
185x5
225x5
285x5
315x5
345x5 PR

Last week I couldn't get off the box on 345 on the fifth rep. This week I threw it up with a vicious freakin' authority. **** you you mother****ing piece of **** weight. I beat your ****ing ass, and I'm coming for your ****ing friends too!

GHR
12,10,10, 8

Feeling MUCH stronger on these since I started them. Much stronger.

DB Lunges
4x10 (20, 30, 40, 50)

These sucked today. My hamstrings and lower back were obliterated. And I wasn't done here baby!

45 Degree Back Hypers
5x10 (10 for all)

Weighted Feet Anchored Sit Ups
5x10 (10 for all)

Total Workout Time:
1 hour 8 minutes... Got real psyched up for that PR.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That's all.

slashkills
02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Last week I couldn't get off the box on 345 on the fifth rep. This week I threw it up with a vicious freakin' authority. **** you you mother****ing piece of **** weight. I beat your ****ing ass, and I'm coming for your ****ing friends too!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That's all.

Hell yea man! keep tearing **** up!

KoSh
02-09-2010, 04:55 AM
Hell yea man! keep tearing **** up!

Thanks bro :)

Coke
02-09-2010, 09:05 AM
The squats are super dude.

KoSh
02-10-2010, 03:13 PM
The squats are super dude.

Thanks brother!!! Appreciate it.

KoSh
02-10-2010, 03:20 PM
2/10
ME Bench Day Week III/Day III

2 Board:
Barx5
95x5
135x5
185x5
230x5
265x5
295x5 PR

New PR again. I'm good for 300 at least 4 times as well, if not 5.

Pull Ups
7sets of 7 reps

Easier than last week, but the last rep was an epic struggle between man and... uhhh... man.

3 Way Shoulder Raises
3x20 (10, 10, 5)

It dawned on me today that I'm probably doing the wrong reppage on these.. I've been doing 20 for each arm. Oh well, I hate these so much I love them.

DB Tri Extensions
5x10 (30, 30, 20, 20, 20)

Zottman Curls
2x6 (30,30)

Workout was over then... And then a hot chick came and starting doing some crazy acrobatic crap right next to me... So I stayed and did a set of hammer curls... So she could check out the guns...

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Total Workout Time:
1 hour

I love good training days!

Off Road
02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Just getting caught up after the new forum threw me a curve. Nice bench, must feel good handling that weight.

Coke
02-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Very nice upper body workout guy.

AKMass
02-10-2010, 08:17 PM
That's a heavy 2-board! Did you get the chicks number???? :clown:

nickp8
02-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Nice job Kosh, it seems like the beginners manual is really helping you out. Keep killing those boards.

-JM-
02-11-2010, 03:31 AM
Damn Kosh you are really churning out the PRs. Great to see.

LuNa
02-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Nice 2 board and i like the pull ups as well. Everything seems to be going well!

KoSh
02-11-2010, 04:52 AM
Just getting caught up after the new forum threw me a curve. Nice bench, must feel good handling that weight.

It feels okay. I'm not satisfied with it. Holding 295 and repping it for 5 makes me more hungry. I want 315x5 on 2 board... and by then, I'll want 330. :)

Thanks for the kudos brother!

Very nice upper body workout guy.

Coming from Man-Beast(tm) himself, I'll take that as a major compliment :)

That's a heavy 2-board! Did you get the chicks number???? :clown:

No. Pfft. I don't like to run game at the gym. I just wanted her to check out the guns so that if I ever see her out and about the game spitting will be much, much easier. :) She checked 'em out, so I have a starting point. I love the smell of success.

Nice job Kosh, it seems like the beginners manual is really helping you out. Keep killing those boards.

Big time. I think where it's helping me most is the volume. I never would have gone with that much volume that often had it not been for the Beginner's Manual.

Thanks for checking and the kudos, man.

Damn Kosh you are really churning out the PRs. Great to see.

It's not hard to churn PRs when you haven't done alot of these exercises much prior to this, but thanks man. My goal is a PR every max effort day. And no, I won't stall. Ever. I can't. It would defeat my goals :)

Thanks for reading Flynn!

Nice 2 board and i like the pull ups as well. Everything seems to be going well!

Thank you, sir. I don't like the pullups, for what it's worth. Probably my least favorite exercise :)

Got my light/minis in the mail yesterday. Debating busting them out for DE Squat day today, but I'm thinking I should finish the cycle without the bands and start the band work next week. Any thoughts on this fellas?

KoSh
02-11-2010, 02:41 PM
2/11
DE Squat Day Week III/Day IV

Speed Squat:
8x2 @ 65ish% (235), 1x1 @ 75ish% (275), 1x1 @ 85% (305)

305 wasn't as quick as I would have liked it to have been, but it came up pretty well!

Speed Pulls
8x1 @ 65ish% (295), 1x1 @ 75% (340), 1x1 @ 85% (380)

I had to get this workout in fast, so by the time I got to 380 I was tanked. Got through all of that in 22 minutes above. 380 went up with some struggle with my grip and my body was starting to hate me. Glad that was the last set of those.

Reverse Hypers
4x10

DB Side Bends
3x10 (55, 60, 65)

Hanging Leg Raises w/ Bent Knee
3x10

Total Workout Time:
42 minutes

I never want to do a workout that fast again in my life. You dont realize how much a difference 15-25 minutes makes.

My body is shaking still from that. Holy crap! LOL!

Coke
02-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Speed session is ridiculous, killer intensity too dude.

slashkills
02-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Nice benching and DE session. Little late now but i think you did the right thing by holding off on the bands.

weakasbud
02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Good session looks like you hit it hard.

Off Road
02-11-2010, 10:41 PM
That looked fun and brutal. The appetite must be stoked.

-JM-
02-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Excellent session Kosh. 42 mins is crazy!!

How are your elbows feeling with this program?

KoSh
02-12-2010, 04:48 AM
Speed session is ridiculous, killer intensity too dude.

Thanks man. I'm going to go ahead and say I never want to do a workout that fast again... Especially a squat/dl workout hahahaha

Nice benching and DE session. Little late now but i think you did the right thing by holding off on the bands.

Yeah. I'll start with bands on Sunday for DE Bench, thanks!

Good session looks like you hit it hard.

Or it hit me, haven't figured that out yet!

That looked fun and brutal. The appetite must be stoked.

The two cows I ate weren't satisfying enough!

Excellent session Kosh. 42 mins is crazy!!

How are your elbows feeling with this program?

Funny you say that because as I woke up today I realized that my elbows and knees were hurting. Wish I had a little bit extra money so I could buy some fish oil caplets. Gotta save every penny I get, the school district that I work for is doing layoffs and it's solely based on the date your contract was on, not performance related in the least from how I understand it. I didn't sign the contract until November, so if they go ahead with the plan I'm as good as gone. Ah well, just going to continue to work hard and see what happens.

KoSh
02-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Oh, and I was accused of being on steroids yesterday. I laughed. I'm WAY too small to be using anything. LOL.

zk001
02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
I checked your log; some pretty strong low box squat.

now i have no other chance than to beat your PR :hello:

pretty awesome squatting here.

what's your current squat max?

my squat is terrible, I have to increas it fast.

keep lifting, man

zk

KoSh
02-12-2010, 10:29 AM
It's probably only about 360 or so. Which is double my weight, so I'm not mad about it... But I'm definitely not happy about it.

KoSh
02-14-2010, 10:16 AM
2/14
DE Bench Day Week IV/Day I

Speed Bench w/ Doubled Minis:
8x3 with doubled minis and 135 pounds bar weight

Let me start by saying I'm glad I went with the bar for a few sets before I started going (this is another benefit of a good warm up). First time I picked the bar off the rack that bad boy was wobbling all over the place and almost came down and smashed me in the grill. Note to self: You need to stay tight at ALL times when benching. I think I got the memo, because once I got to my working sets I was feeling great. They were flying up, but you can tell the bands do alot more damage to the muscle. I'm sore as hell after this workout. But I loved it. Can't wait to try squatting with the bands!!!!!!!!

Rack Lockouts (4" ROM)
3x3 (275, 315, 365)

I have more than 365 in me. I'm almost positive I could get 405 or so at least for a single. I realize the ROM is extremely short, but theres nothing like loading that much weight on the bar and beasting it for confidence.

DB Incline Bench
3x10 (60, 65, 75)

These were a bit on the easy side.

Chest Supported Incline T-Bar Rows
3x10 (45, 55, 65)

Weights are just a plate plus dimes.

Tricep Pushdowns
4x12 (90, 95, 100, 105)

Getting stronger here EVERY week.

Total Workout Time:
1 hour and 14 minutes

I actually stopped and talked to this monster today in the gym. He's a body builder, so he was asking me all sorts of powerlifting competition questions. The guy is big and he's a REALLY nice guy. I was talking to him about powerlifting and bodybuilding and all sorts of stuff. I don't usually talk to people that much, but this guy and the other guy that was with him were awesome. The other guy complimented me on using bands. He said he's never seen anyone use them outside of the gym he used to own.

And then I got into another conversation with another guy that goes there about possibly opening our own gym. That's in it's infancy stages, but it would be freakin' awesome.

nickp8
02-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Nice workout Kosh. Keep it up.

slashkills
02-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Solid work bro

KoSh
02-15-2010, 09:14 AM
2/15
ME Squat/Deadlift Day Week IV/Day II

Deficit Deads (About a 4-5" platform)
Working to a three rep max:
Barx5
135x5
225x5
275x3
315x3
365x3
*add straps*
405x3
425x3

I candy assed the DLs without the straps today. I felt like garbage at that point in the workout. It turned around, but I woke up feeling like crap and I'm not sure why. Went to bed at 11, woke up at 8, slept straight through the night but I was coughing and sneezing and my eyes were bloodshot.

I've also decided that I'm going to continue on with straps in the workout. I'll go as far as I can without straps and then strap up. I don't want to limit my posterior chain strength just because of bad grip. But, for the record, I had more than 365 in me for 3 without straps. I'll prove it next week... I also have more than 425 in me with the straps on these. :)

GHR
30 reps (15, 10, 5)

DB Step Ups
2x10 (25 pounds)

Was supposed to be 3x10, but I felt a twinge in my hamstring. I backed off of these. Better safe than sorry.

Back Hyperextensions
3x10 (bodyweight)

Feet anchored Sit Ups
3x10 (15 pounds)

Used a dime and a nickle and held them behind my head.

Total Workout Time:
1 hour and 6 minutes

Kept doing some movement stuff between sets to try to snap out of the funk. I snapped out of it mid GHR sets, but the hamstring tweak really screwed this session. Wasn't an awful session by any means, but far from my best.

slashkills
02-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Solid work! Those are some serious pulls from a 4-5" defecit.

Coke
02-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Really do your homework if you ever plan to run your own gym...wish you the best whatever aspirations you have along the way. Appeared to have been in a fine groove with both efforts man. The straps get a bad rap but they do help out immensely, mainly with the pulling movements for the back and traps.

KoSh
02-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Slash, Coke:

Thanks guys!

Uploaded some more progress pics:

From May of '09. I wasn't too upset with the way I looked here, but I knew I had a long way to go!

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab23/KoShPL/0509091637.jpg

Here's the comparison photo from about a week ago:

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab23/KoShPL/0210001801.jpg

And two randoms from a week ago:

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab23/KoShPL/0210001802.jpg

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab23/KoShPL/0210001800.jpg

I have no idea what's going on with the lighting in the second one LOL

-JM-
02-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Nice deficits Kosh. Can you use chalk? Sorry to hear about the hammy! Annoying as hell!

My work computer is blocking the pics from whichever image host you use...... Which is good as I work in an open plan office, lol.

Mark!
02-16-2010, 03:47 AM
Kosh looking good man. Speed session looks hoss.

KoSh
02-16-2010, 06:44 AM
Nice deficits Kosh. Can you use chalk? Sorry to hear about the hammy! Annoying as hell!

My work computer is blocking the pics from whichever image host you use...... Which is good as I work in an open plan office, lol.

photobucket. That's strange!

Yeah, the hammy is okay. I've felt that twinge before though, and that was right before I tore it. So as soon as I felt it I stopped with that set. I do NOT want to go through that again. Laying on the couch for two weeks and hobbling around when I did get up was one of the worst experiences ever. Gave me a new appreciation for people who tear their ACLs and such because they are even less mobile than I was, and probably in alot more pain too.

Can't use chalk. That was option one. They are nazi's when it comes to chalk. Everything else? They're okay with. So as long as they keep letting me grunt a little on heavy deads, drop a heavy set every once in awhile and use bands and boards I guess I'm okay with it :P

Kosh looking good man. Speed session looks hoss.

Thank you, sir. Thanks for stopping by my log!

Off Road
02-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Great progress Kosh.

AKMass
02-16-2010, 08:34 AM
All I can say is...Keep up the good work! Intensity is off the charts. Lookin very cut up in your pics too.

Coke
02-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Been payin' the cost, props on the improved muscularity.

KoSh
02-17-2010, 09:38 AM
All I can say is...Keep up the good work! Intensity is off the charts. Lookin very cut up in your pics too.

Been payin' the cost, props on the improved muscularity.

Thanks guys, as usual. I'm trying :P

Oh and thanks to OR too. Didn't mean to leave you out broseph.

KoSh
02-17-2010, 09:48 AM
2/17
ME Bench Day Week IV/Day III

Floor Press
Barx8
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
255x3
275x3
295x3 PR

Gotta be a PR. Four weeks ago I went to a 1RM on Floor Press and only got 305. I'm guessing that's a bit up now too.

Pull Ups
5x7

DB Front Raises
3x10 (20, 25, 27.5

Elbows Out Tricep Extensions
3x10 (25, 25, 25)

Couldn't find any Youtube videos on these so I don't know if I did these correctly. I did them on the horizontal plane, DBs to the chest then DBs to the floor. They felt like crap (in a good way) so I guess they had some effect.

Hammer Curls
2x8 (30, 30)

Total Workout Time:
56 minutes

PR felt good. Felt great today as a whole. My body is definitely hanging in there too. I haven't felt the slightest bit that I need a break, although when I get one in a deload in week 11, I'll enjoy it :)

brihead301
02-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Damn man, looking pretty f***ing jacked in those pics!!

Nice last couple sessions too. Ya, it's been a while since I was sippin dem der fruity drinks and gettin fat!!! Good times!

slashkills
02-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Congrats on the PR! Looks like all of your hard work is paying off.

nickp8
02-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Nice floor presses Kosh.

Coke
02-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Doing damn good with the floor pressing and all dude.

LuNa
02-18-2010, 03:25 AM
Good pics dude! I love the floor presses and the overall effort!

-JM-
02-18-2010, 05:01 AM
Great progress in those pics Kosh!

Damn nice floor pressing mate. Thsi is really working out well for you.

Off Road
02-18-2010, 06:37 AM
Good progress on the floor presses.

KoSh
02-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Damn man, looking pretty f***ing jacked in those pics!!

Nice last couple sessions too. Ya, it's been a while since I was sippin dem der fruity drinks and gettin fat!!! Good times!

Congrats on the PR! Looks like all of your hard work is paying off.

Nice floor presses Kosh.

Doing damn good with the floor pressing and all dude.

Good pics dude! I love the floor presses and the overall effort!

Great progress in those pics Kosh!

Damn nice floor pressing mate. Thsi is really working out well for you.

Good progress on the floor presses.

Thank you everyone. You guys are a major motivational tool... From the guys who I'm trying to catch to the guys who are trying to catch me.

Thanks again!

KoSh
02-18-2010, 10:04 AM
2/18
DE Squat Day Week IV/Day IV

Speed Squats w/ Light Bands
10x2 @ 155 pounds w/ light bands

Bands beat the tar out of you. I like it.

Speed Pulls
10x1 @ 245

Reverse Hypers
3x10

DB Side Bends
3x10 (55, 60, 65)

Knee Raise Ab Work
3x10

Total Workout Time:
1 hour 10 minutes

Conditioning:

500 Explosive Jumping Jacks

Coke
02-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Ace overall workout and conditioning man.

slashkills
02-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Solid day dude. This has to be one of the top 3 most viewed journals on the site.

KoSh
02-21-2010, 10:15 AM
2/21
DE Bench Day Week V/Day I

8x3 with doubled minis and 145 pounds bar weight

Rack Lockouts (4" ROM)
320x3
385x3 20 lb PR
405x3 40 lb overall PR

Okay, so these aren't really indicative of much other than how strong your lockout is. I get that. But, there's something amazing about having 405 pounds held in your arms up above you. And by the way, 405 was easy, I may go for 455 next week if I feel good enough.

DB Incline Bench
4x10 (60, 65, 75, 80)

3x10 (45, 55, 60, 70)

Weights are just a plate plus dimes/nickels.

Tricep Pushdowns
4x12 (95, 100, 105, 110)

Total Workout Time:
1 hour

Conditioning:
20 minutes of walk/run/incline on the treadmill

zk001
02-21-2010, 12:03 PM
damn, that's some nice lockout, man

405 is awesome!!!!

zk

Coke
02-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Huge pulling PR bro.

-JM-
02-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Took me three weeks of those lockouts to hit 402x3......why dont you just go ahead and blast them out on the first go. Ha ha..nice job mate.

I think they train your CNS somewhat since that is a load way beyond what you are used to or could bench. Great to be holding it up there. This time next year it could be 550+ youre holding there.

brihead301
02-22-2010, 10:16 AM
You are definately one conditioned dude!!! Not too mention the very respectable strength you have as well. That combination is definately something to be proud of! Good job!

KoSh
02-22-2010, 11:30 AM
damn, that's some nice lockout, man

405 is awesome!!!!

zk

Felt good! Thanks!

Huge pulling PR bro.

Wasn't pulling, just a bench lockout with a 4" ROM. :) But thanks anyways!

Took me three weeks of those lockouts to hit 402x3......why dont you just go ahead and blast them out on the first go. Ha ha..nice job mate.

I think they train your CNS somewhat since that is a load way beyond what you are used to or could bench. Great to be holding it up there. This time next year it could be 550+ youre holding there.

550? That would be sweet, probably means I'd be benching in the mid 300's :) Sounds good to me!

You are definately one conditioned dude!!! Not too mention the very respectable strength you have as well. That combination is definately something to be proud of! Good job!

Thanks. I think my conditioning is lacking a bit, though. My strength is far superior to conditioning. Although, I guess anaerobically I am pretty well off. Aerobically I'm sad, but then again, if I'm going to try to get into powerlifting, screw aerobic conditioning :)

Mark!
02-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Nice lifts man, good stuff going on in here.

Off Road
02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Cool...locking out 400 lbs has to be fun none-the-less.

KoSh
02-22-2010, 04:06 PM
2/15
ME Squat/Deadlift Day Week V/Day II

Barx5
135x5
225x5
275x3
315x3
385x2 * Had #3 up, no problems, either. When I went to lockout, it's slipped. Thanks for not allowing chalk gym. Bah.
*add straps*
405x3
445x3 20 LB PR

Rep three with 445 probably wouldn't have counted in a competition... But it wasn't a competition and I muscled that son of a bitch up there.

GHR
40 reps (15, 10, 10, 5)

DB Step Ups
3x10 (25 pounds)

Was supposed to be 4x10, but I felt a twinge in my hamstring AGAIN. It only happens on step ups. It's weird. This time it hurt much more.

Back Hyperextensions
4x10 (bodyweight)

Feet anchored Sit Ups
4x10 (15 pounds)

Total Workout Time:
1 hour and 15 minutes

Was going to condition, but my body is beat up. My calf randomly charlie horsed mid GHR :laugh:

It was kind of funny. If you were watching me you probably would have laughed, I floundered like a fish to get my leg out from under the bar I anchored it down with. Calf was fine immediately after and it happened after the last rep of one of my sets. I did my last set with no issues :P

PS: Weighed in at 181 with a t-shirt, shorts and socks... It appears as if I've lost a pound... And I've been eating like a fat slob. Interesting. Guess I gotta eat like a fatter slob. Sounds good.

slashkills
02-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Beastly work bro!

Off Road
02-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Great deadlifting with the deficit.

KoSh
02-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Beastly work bro!

Great deadlifting with the deficit.

Thanks fellas!

brihead301
02-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Damn man, that is some sweet a** deadlifing, especially considering the deficit.

All that lifting and conditioning turns you into a calorie burning machine, so it doesn't suprise me that you are able to eat like a fat slob and still lose weight. Not to mention the fact that eating like that every once in a while also boosts your metabolism.

Good stuff!!!

Coke
02-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Deads and all are looking fine guy.

KoSh
02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Damn man, that is some sweet a** deadlifing, especially considering the deficit.

All that lifting and conditioning turns you into a calorie burning machine, so it doesn't suprise me that you are able to eat like a fat slob and still lose weight. Not to mention the fact that eating like that every once in a while also boosts your metabolism.

Good stuff!!!

Thanks. I like being able to eat like a fat slob and not actually be one. :)

Deads and all are looking fine guy.

Thanks Machine :)

StLRPh
02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Congrats on the PR with defiicit deads. Very solid work.

gatorman2k6
02-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Nice work man! I like the set up of your training and I really like that you eat like a fat slob. Glad to see that there are others out there!

KGM
02-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Very strong lifting in here.

nickp8
02-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Nice deadlifting Kosh.

-JM-
02-24-2010, 01:29 AM
Great deficits Kosh. A 20lb PR is massive!

What about liquid chalk or resin pads? No biggie, just if you wanted to get something other than actual chalk that is less messy.

KoSh
02-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Congrats on the PR with defiicit deads. Very solid work.

Thanks man

Nice work man! I like the set up of your training and I really like that you eat like a fat slob. Glad to see that there are others out there!

Did someone say food!?

Very strong lifting in here.

Thanks bro!

Nice deadlifting Kosh.

Coming from a tank, that's quite a compliment!

Great deficits Kosh. A 20lb PR is massive!

What about liquid chalk or resin pads? No biggie, just if you wanted to get something other than actual chalk that is less messy.

They'll whine and nag the piss out of me for that stuff too.

Part of the reason I'm going to set up a home gym. I'll keep my gym membership too at least for the time being, but the home gym would allow me to train at home every once in awhile and since I live alone no one is going to get pissed at me for making a mess :P

KoSh
02-24-2010, 03:30 PM
2/24
ME Bench Day Week V/Day III

Floor Press
Barx8
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
255x3
280x3
300x3 PR

I had 300 stuck just off my elbows on the last rep. I fought it. It was going no where... My spotter went to grab it, I yelled NO! And threw that bastard up (threw might be an exaggeration...) Not sure how much I'll be able to go up next week, I may go for a 1RM.

Pull Ups
6x7

DB Front Raises
4x10 (20, 25, 27.5, 30)

4x10 (27.5 all sets)

Hammer Curls
2x8 (32.5, 35)

Total Workout Time:
50 minutes

Still feeling beat up. Motivation level is dorpping to a 9/10 instead of a 10/10 due to nagging little nicks. Oh well, time to man up.

Conditioning:

DB Power Cleans - 20 lbs - 20 seconds on, 10 off holding the weight for 4 minutes

That was one of the MOST painful experiences of my life. Love that ****.

Off Road
02-24-2010, 05:57 PM
300 x 3 on the floor is freakin' sweet!

KoSh
02-24-2010, 06:22 PM
300 x 3 on the floor is freakin' sweet!

Thanks bro. That was a major struggle. I'm not sure where my bench is at the moment. I just hoping for 310 or so.

gatorman2k6
02-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Nice work! 300x3 is awesome. Your conditioning work sounds brutal too!

Coke
02-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Super floor presses.

LuNa
02-25-2010, 05:16 AM
Good job telling your spotter no. Grinding it out is what builds character. Your training looks incredibly fun!

KoSh
02-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Nice work! 300x3 is awesome. Your conditioning work sounds brutal too!

Yeah, that tabata session with DB cleans wiped me out. That might interfere with recovery a bit. Good thing I don't have another upper body day until Sunday :)

Thanks man!

Super floor presses.

I like your word choice of super. I'm going to get a thesaurus and start giving people all sorts of sweet words in their journals. :)

Good job telling your spotter no. Grinding it out is what builds character. Your training looks incredibly fun!

I apologized to him after. To be honest, it HAD to look like there wasn't a chance I was going to get it. I was literally pushing it and had it going no where. But the second he went to touch it and I said no the bar started moving.

There's no quit in me, brother :) I'd rather get pinned (But the smart trainee in me knows that getting pinned could be a problem training wise :))

KoSh
02-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Here are some of the items I'm looking at for my home gym:

Sumo Rack: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92565.html

Power Cage: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/pro92560.html

These are probably my best options. My ceiling in my basement is only 78" tall, which means I don't have a lot of clearance room. This bad boy would fit and work well for me (Obviously I can't do any standing overhead press work down there, either.)

I want this package, but the rack won't fit: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=120&pid=576

The second one I think looks a ton more sturdy and the sumo rack doesn't have a capacity listed. The second one has 1000 pound capacity, so seeing how I'm squatting like 350-360 and benching about 305 at the moment, I should be good for about a year before I need to get a better rack. Seeing how I'll be benching a grand in no time ;)

500 lb weight set: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-5315.html

+2 more 45 lb plates. + 1.25 pound plates.

Bench: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/90656.html

All of this equipment comes from a place about 2.5 hours from where I live. I could go get it in a U-Haul instead of having it shipped and save a ton of money.

Or for a bench I get this set:

dumbbells/bench: http://www.ironmaster.com/store/Package-1-pr-80.html

If not I just get these DBs: http://www.ironmaster.com/store/Quick-Lock-Dumbbell-System-75-lb-set-with-Rack-pr-2.html

Along with the 120 lb extension kit: http://www.ironmaster.com/store/Add-on-Kit-to-120-lbs-Quick-Lock-pr-5.html

Box Squat Box: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=3251

My first priorities are the barbell stuff and plates and bench. Then go from there.

I really wish the EFS sick of your gym pack had a shorter cage option :(

brihead301
02-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Awesome PR on the floor press there brotha, especially considering the effort it took for the last rep! Good stuff!

That's awesome that you're making a home gym too man. I'm jealous.

KoSh
02-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I really don't have the money for it, but on those days where I don't have time to go to the actual gym, it's perfect. Or when my buddies want to lift with me.

KoSh
02-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Just ordered APT Convict Pro 36" wrist wraps too.

Going to be spending alot of money on lifting stuff in the near future :)

nickp8
02-25-2010, 11:08 AM
EFS does have an option of getting a shorter rack but it is 78 inches. Making what I just pointed out worthless.

StLRPh
02-25-2010, 11:22 AM
4x10 (27.5 all sets)

Impressive triceps extensions. I can't believe no one pointed those out...:)

Great job on the floor press PR and I'm sure that Tabata was brutal.

KoSh
02-25-2010, 11:42 AM
EFS does have an option of getting a shorter rack but it is 78 inches. Making what I just pointed out worthless.

Yeah, I spoke with Jim Wendler this morning (how freakin' cool is it to say I spoke with Jim Wendler?) In reality I emailed customer support and he responded saying the shortest they have is 6.5 feet.

Impressive triceps extensions. I can't believe no one pointed those out...:)

Great job on the floor press PR and I'm sure that Tabata was brutal.

Thanks brother!

KGM
02-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Forgot to sub to your log so I have not looked since my last post.
First off, SOLID floor pressing. The last reps was well portrayed in your post... a determined grinder from hell.
Next it is great you are getting ready to throw down on a gym. I assume you are posting to get some feedback so here is mine.
I honestly see no bonus with the sumo rack other than it is $170 cheaper. I would look at it this way, how long will you be forced to be in a basement to workout? If that will not be more then a year or three maybe you want to think of this rack as a temp and not put too much money into it. Other wise the regular rack does look better.
For my weight set I like to have a couple of the small plates. This way is I am going in 10lb jumps, I have 6 5lb plates, I can add 3 times without juggling plates on the bar. Not really a big deal.
I have seen a LOT of people with that DB set and really like it. Seems the addon weight is a must though.:)
Box squat box can be nice if it is in your budget, although a home gymer can get away with many other cheap/free choices.
I have now advice on an adjustable bench other than if you can afford it I would get a regular flat bench to use in the rack for benching. The adjustable one I have is ok but a non adjustable flat would be much better IMO.

Anyway those are my thoughts. not sure if you can use them but you got them regardless:)
Now to sub this log so I don't miss any more.

mcdonough9395
02-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Looking huge in those pics you posted, I really dont know how its possible that your not even 180. Especially with the kind of weight your moving in here ... Love how your beasting those last reps out. Those presses and pulls are real impressive.

KoSh
02-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Forgot to sub to your log so I have not looked since my last post.
First off, SOLID floor pressing. The last reps was well portrayed in your post... a determined grinder from hell.
Next it is great you are getting ready to throw down on a gym. I assume you are posting to get some feedback so here is mine.
I honestly see no bonus with the sumo rack other than it is $170 cheaper. I would look at it this way, how long will you be forced to be in a basement to workout? If that will not be more then a year or three maybe you want to think of this rack as a temp and not put too much money into it. Other wise the regular rack does look better.
For my weight set I like to have a couple of the small plates. This way is I am going in 10lb jumps, I have 6 5lb plates, I can add 3 times without juggling plates on the bar. Not really a big deal.
I have seen a LOT of people with that DB set and really like it. Seems the addon weight is a must though.:)
Box squat box can be nice if it is in your budget, although a home gymer can get away with many other cheap/free choices.
I have now advice on an adjustable bench other than if you can afford it I would get a regular flat bench to use in the rack for benching. The adjustable one I have is ok but a non adjustable flat would be much better IMO.

Anyway those are my thoughts. not sure if you can use them but you got them regardless:)
Now to sub this log so I don't miss any more.

Advice is good. I'll probably go with the Titan Rack rather than the Sumo. It makes too much sense. The Ironmaster's are without a doubt something i'll go for and you might be right about the flat bench. I'll still have my gym membership for the time being, so if I want to do Incline BB Bench for my ME movement I can at the gym.

The box squat isn't really in my budget, but, I'd like it anyways. Makes my life ALOT easier :0

Looking huge in those pics you posted, I really dont know how its possible that your not even 180. Especially with the kind of weight your moving in here ... Love how your beasting those last reps out. Those presses and pulls are real impressive.

Hah! Thanks brother! I think I'm 181 or 182 now. Didn't weigh myself today. :)

KoSh
02-25-2010, 02:54 PM
2/25
DE Squat Day Week V/Day IV

Speed Squats w/ Light Bands
10x3 @ 165 pounds w/ light bands

I did 3 reps instead of 2 today because I knew I was going to cut back my speed pulls a bit. My lower back is pretty much shot and even though I try to think I'm a tough guy, sometimes you need to listen to your body and pull the reigns back a bit.

Speed Pulls
5x1 @ 275

Did half the required sets and then added Pullthroughs.

Pullthroughs
3x3 (60,65,70)

DB Side Bends
3x10 (70 for all)

I was doing these two handed to get back into the swing with them seeing how I haven't done them in years. Went ahead and went to one hand today with the 70's. Felt great.

Standing Ab Work
4x10 (150, 180, 200, 260)

Total Workout Time:
1 hour 2 minutes

Screwed with alot, but I wanted to get a good workout in and didn't want to continue destroying my back. I think I got a decent workout in.

slashkills
02-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Good idea listening to your body bro. Keep beastin it up

KGM
02-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Solid thinking and listening to your body!
Man it has been forever since I have done side bends. Think I will get to them next ab day.

The box squat isn't really in my budget, but, I'd like it anyways. Makes my life ALOT easier :0
I hear you on that one. Some times there is stuff you WANT bad enough to make it a NEED.:)
btw and not sure where you are but craiglist is a great place to pick up stuff for a good deal. Some times you have to be real patient but the basics are not hard to come by.

gatorman2k6
02-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Nice DE session! Good job listening to your body too. We always want to push it, but sometimes less is more.

slashkills
02-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Make a plywood box. Works for me and it was like 5 bucks

Athos
02-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Looks like an excellent DE day to me... pull-throughs are freakin' great too.. that's a good reminder for me to rotate them in more often. Also, looking through your journal, damn fine deadlifting! Nice job!

Off Road
02-25-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't do any speed work. Do you think it is required or just something you like to do?

KoSh
02-26-2010, 03:39 AM
I don't do any speed work. Do you think it is required or just something you like to do?

I've seen it work with a ton of people, OR. It seems to be alot more than coincidence.

-JM-
02-26-2010, 03:45 AM
Speed work FTMFW!!

Not saying it will work for everyone but if you want to build speed and explosiveness off the chest it is an excellent tool.

Sessions are looking solid Kosh. Tearing it up. Looking after those joints too?

Off Road
02-26-2010, 07:01 AM
My suckiest lift is my deadlift, especially off the floor. Maybe some speed deficit pulls will help?

KoSh
02-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Speed work FTMFW!!

Not saying it will work for everyone but if you want to build speed and explosiveness off the chest it is an excellent tool.

Sessions are looking solid Kosh. Tearing it up. Looking after those joints too?

Joints are good other than the left elbow and that one comes and goes. Pinched a nerve in my neck the other day, though, but that's starting to feel better too. The dings are coming, but they're also going fairly quickly.

My suckiest lift is my deadlift, especially off the floor. Maybe some speed deficit pulls will help?

Speed Box Squats will probably help that as well, believe it or not. If you want to stick to 5/3/1, I'd do something similar to what Flynn is doing. If I ever went back I'd definitely do it a bit differently.

KoSh
02-27-2010, 02:28 PM
2/27 Active Recovery

Dynamic Warm Up (everything done 2 x 20 feet):
A-Skip
1 Leg A-Skip
Froggy Skip
Combo Skip
B-Skip
Carioca
Tapioca
High Knees
Power Bounds
Forward Lunge w/ Jump
Side Lunge w/ Jump
Backward Walk on Heels 10 feet then Chop Feet and Explode Through
Jump off 1 foot land on 1 (side to side)
Jump off 1 foot land on 2 (side to side)
Jump off 2 feet land on 1 (side to side)

15 Minutes on Heavy Bag

200 Jumping Jacks

Off Road
02-27-2010, 02:56 PM
I've never even heard of 75% of those things. Must be good though, if you like tapioca :(

StLRPh
02-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Did you do the Hokey Pokey to? :)

slashkills
02-27-2010, 03:55 PM
That looks like my kind of recovery day. I love my heavy bag.

Coke
02-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Damn, that's over the top active recovery work.

KoSh
02-28-2010, 07:37 AM
I've never even heard of 75% of those things. Must be good though, if you like tapioca :(

I don't. :P

;)

Did you do the Hokey Pokey to? :)

Wouldn't you like to know!

That looks like my kind of recovery day. I love my heavy bag.

Hell yeah brother!

Damn, that's over the top active recovery work.

Really? It only took about 15-20 minutes to do and I feel a hell of a lot better today than I did eysterday when I woke up LOL!

KoSh
02-28-2010, 10:28 AM
2/28
DE Bench Day Week VI/Day I

6x3 w/145 pounds bar weight + Doubled Minis
1x1 w/195 pounds bar weight + Doubled Minis
1x1 w/225 pounds bar weight + Doubled Minis
1x1 w/245 pounds bar weight + Doubled Minis

Absolutely awesome. 245 flew up. Felt really strong.

Rack Lockouts (4" ROM)
335x3
405x3
425x3 20 lb overall PR

Should have went for more. I'm a puss.

DB Incline Bench
5x10 (60, 65, 70, 70, 80)

5x10 (45, 50, 55, 60, 65)

Weights are just a plate plus dimes/nickels.

Tricep Pushdowns
4x12 (100, 105, 110, 115)

Total Workout Time:
1 hour

slashkills
02-28-2010, 10:53 AM
were you alternating your grip on the speed bench? why the singles?

gatorman2k6
02-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Nice DE session! Those are some impressive lockouts.

KoSh
02-28-2010, 11:22 AM
were you alternating your grip on the speed bench? why the singles?

Yes.

Singles is something that I believe I read in an article from Dave Tate where you have to do a certain amount of reps above your regular dynamic training weight a month in order to improve strength. I think it was Tate. But I'm following the EFS Beginner's Training Manual at the moment, so it calls for the singles in the workout. I'm making slight modifications to the program itself, but I'm trying to stick to it to a t and it's absolutely working so far.

I could set up my own program and be successful, but if I'm going to do this the right way, I'm going to start off slow and build from there.

nickp8
02-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Nice benching Kosh. Your lockout is getting pretty ****in strong.

KoSh
02-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Nice benching Kosh. Your lockout is getting pretty ****in strong.

This is the benefit of following this program to a t. I can see that where I fail on bench, it's going to be prior to the lockout stage. I definitely can't bench over 400 right now. So this is really going to help me diagnose exactly where I'm missing. My guess is it's going to be about 3-4 inches off the chest.

AKMass
02-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Niiiice rack lockouts! And bench work in general. Crazy how fast your strength is increasing! Thinking about competing any time soon?

KoSh
02-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Niiiice rack lockouts! And bench work in general. Crazy how fast your strength is increasing! Thinking about competing any time soon?

Thanks man. I'd like to but there's nothing around here.

Coke
03-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Digging the whole session bro, especially the lockouts.

KGM
03-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow that is some nice benching. How often will you do singles on your DE day? I think I better get to reading my EFS book. I have been trying to read the WSB book...
That active recovery sounded.... uhm foreign to me too but I like your attitude towards it. Love the heavy bag and can be very intense. I can skip but nothing more fancy than single, double or alt legs. I really enjoy it also.

KoSh
03-01-2010, 03:55 PM
3/1
ME Squat/Deadlift Day Week VI/Day II

Barx5
135x5
225x5
275x3
315x3
395x3 * Crushed it. Feel like a pussy for not going for 405. 395 was easy.
*add straps*
455x2

Only got 2 of 455, hamstring twitched and caused my body to tilt mid rep. I dropped it to be safe. Pissed about that.

GHR
40 reps (20,10,10)

DB Step Ups
4x10 (20 pounds)

Hamstring felt a little bit better here, too bad it twitched mid rep on the dead.

Back Hyperextensions
5x10 (bodyweight)

Feet anchored Sit Ups
5x10 (15, 15, 15, 15, 10)

Total Workout Time:
1 hour and 5 minutes

Conditioning:

Front Squat Tabata: 65 lbs.

gatorman2k6
03-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Nice work KoSh! That is some strong pulling!

StLRPh
03-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Very strong pulls

slashkills
03-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Dude, thats some great pulling. Keep beastin this **** up!

Off Road
03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Awesome deadlifts Kosh.

Coke
03-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Good job on those deads and all that followed guy.

KoSh
03-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Nice work KoSh! That is some strong pulling!

Very strong pulls

Dude, thats some great pulling. Keep beastin this **** up!

Awesome deadlifts Kosh.

Good job on those deads and all that followed guy.

Thanks guys. Going to keep pushing myself to the limits! :)

brihead301
03-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Very nice pulling man! The thought of doing tabata with front squats is a scary one.....I haven't done tabata in a long time, but it's definately killer! Good work man!

KoSh
03-03-2010, 03:10 PM
3/3
ME Bench Day Week VI/Day III

Floor Press
Working to a one rep max:
Barx8
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
255x3
275x3
300x1
305x1 5 lb PR
315x1 10 lb PR

YEAH MOTHER ****ER!!!!

Pull Ups
7x7

DB Front Raises
5x10 (20, 25, 27.5, 30, 30)

5x10 (30 all sets)

Hammer Curls
2x8 (37.5, 40)

Total Workout Time:
50 minutes

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH BBBBAAAABBBBYYYYY!!!! 315 FLOOR PRESS! I'm coming for you 315 bench press... I'M COMING!

Sorry, psycho mode off.

But seriously...

YES!

-JM-
03-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Great floor press pr Kosh. Especially working up in those small increments. You could probably take a bit heavier. Awesome job man.

When is your testing week?

KoSh
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
I test in 6 weeks

KGM
03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
SFW!!!! YEAH! Nicely done. I like the increments you used in your work up although I would have started singles earlier but do what works for you not me:)

NickAus
03-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Congrats on the PR's!!

StLRPh
03-03-2010, 03:57 PM
3 plates on floor press is awesome. Congrats on the PR

Off Road
03-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Nice floor pressing. That's man handling 300. Nice pull ups too.

gatorman2k6
03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Nice work KoSh! You are going to smash 315+ when you test!

nickp8
03-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Nice PR Kosh, now its on to the next one.

KoSh
03-03-2010, 08:34 PM
SFW!!!! YEAH! Nicely done. I like the increments you used in your work up although I would have started singles earlier but do what works for you not me:)

Congrats on the PR's!!

3 plates on floor press is awesome. Congrats on the PR

Nice floor pressing. That's man handling 300. Nice pull ups too.

Nice work KoSh! You are going to smash 315+ when you test!

Nice PR Kosh, now its on to the next one.

Thanks everyone. I think Flynn is right, I got more in me on the floor. I can't tell you how amped up I was when I nailed that 315 on the floor. With 6 weeks left before testing, 315 in normal bench looks very, very doable. Weighed in today at 182 as well.

Still on that high.

Now the goal is to floor press 355 :)

slashkills
03-03-2010, 08:54 PM
you will smash 315 when you max bro! great work today

Coke
03-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Wow man, impressive floor presses!