PDA

View Full Version : working up on DE days

zk001
01-18-2010, 05:26 AM
hi,

I read lots of confusing info on working up on DE days. some info says up to 82,5% every 3-4 weeks, some info says max up to 80%, some info says just 20-50 lbs more and some says even up to 90%.

which is correct?

I am still learning westside ...

thank you

zk

ScottYard
01-18-2010, 06:36 AM
I alwayy went more by feel then % when working up on a DE day, but the person to ask would be travis as he trains there.

AdamBAG
01-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Yes, Travis would know best. I think if you worked up in your 3rd week of a wave every once in a while you'd be fine. I'm not sure you can go with a straight % though as you still want to have decent bar speed. It's not supposed to be max effort.

drew
01-18-2010, 07:02 AM
I always went by feel. If the weight was moving fast and I felt good, I would take about 80% for one or two singles.

Ruff Riff
01-18-2010, 08:53 AM
I actually thought is was soley based on bar speed? you can still get benifits from using more weight but not as much? I guy I train with who works the Westside method and I had a brief conversation this weekend about guys using a little more weight than they should on DE day and the benifits they get out of it? I am pretty sure you can still get something out of it but not as much? I am sure he will see this and comment!

Lones Green
01-18-2010, 08:59 AM
The 50% Lou outlines is a guideline for beginners.

When you hear about guys working up a bit heavier on their dynamic days, most of these guys are very advanced, and have been doing speed work for years.

There is no "correct answer," but I think in general speed days should focus on speed and higher volume, and max effort days should be lower volume and heavier weight.

People kind of freaked out when that Westside video of the repeated effort was posted

Travis Bell
01-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah you're confusing the squat DE stuff and the bench DE stuff.

For bench it's recommended you wave, 50%, 55% and 60% then back to 50%

For squat some weeks the guys have been working up into the 80+% but it's not every week. The key to DE stuff is to not get stagnant. Wave it.

For beginners, there is no set guideline but it's usually 65% for starters - but his recommendation changes if you compete raw or geared. For raw lifters it's higher percentages.

A lot of times (with the bench) this happens when people just keep adding more and more weight, they don't like to go down in weight.

zk001
01-19-2010, 01:50 AM
thank you guys for all replies!!!

zk