PDA

View Full Version : good mornigs on ME days

zk001
01-18-2010, 05:29 AM
hi,

I read less and less lifters do good mornigs on their ME days compared to a few years ago. why is that.

is ME GM of any value to raw lifters?

thank you

zk

NickAus
01-18-2010, 05:31 AM
I would stick to 5s or maybe 3s, just my opinion.

drew
01-18-2010, 06:08 AM
I would only do concentric GMs for singles (Set it up in chains or on pins at the bottom position and get under it, then stand up wth it). Otherwise triples is better.

It is very valuable to a raw lifter.

ScottYard
01-18-2010, 06:35 AM
I think they still have value but a raw squatter has to spend more time under a squat bar squatting. Where as an equipped can spend more time on other ME lifts and greatly benefit from them.

I use them but as a third exercise for light weight sets of 10. Just to give my low back a little direct work without over working it.

AdamBAG
01-18-2010, 06:56 AM
I'm not sure that statement is true. If anything, according to AJ Roberts they squat less on Max Effort day now because the % on DE day is higher and they are using more band tension.

Doing GMs can be pretty effective. For reps and for singles. Just make sure you have a full group of spotters to do it safely.

JK1
01-18-2010, 08:15 AM
I backed off on good mornings getting ready for my last meet... my deadlift tanked big time. I'm a relatively crappy deadlifter anyway, but for me, I think there is a direct correlation between the amount of heavy good mornings I do and what I can pull. Most of the time I work up to a heavy single or triples suspended with the bar set at about bellybutton height give or take a little bit. I rotate them on a 4 week wave, week 1 deadlift, week 2 good morning, week 3 squat, week 4 deload, then repeat.

Lones Green
01-18-2010, 08:54 AM
I agree with most the guys in here, the chain suspended goodmornings reign supreme. I think they hit the back and hamstrings so much harder, plus with the chains you can get into perfect position, and its much harder to cheat.

Do these with the SSB or cambered bar, and don't plan on walking the next day

ScottYard
01-18-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure that statement is true. If anything, according to AJ Roberts they squat less on Max Effort day now because the % on DE day is higher and they are using more band tension.

Doing GMs can be pretty effective. For reps and for singles. Just make sure you have a full group of spotters to do it safely.

Who is doing raw meets at Westside?

MarcusWild
01-18-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm not a big fan of max singles. Most people turn it into an Anderson squat. I'd say do them as an accessory until you have solid technique. Then throw them into your ME rotation and go for a 3RM or 5RM.

I think the value for raw lifters is that raw lifters usually use their quads more. That tends to shoot the hips up, and you need a strong lower back to finish the squat.

NickAus
01-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Good thread, I have learnt a lot from you guys!!

AdamBAG
01-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Who is doing raw meets at Westside?

Scott, I was actually responding to this statement below (highlighted). I was just passing on something that I read. I was not responding to you.

I have no idea if anyone at WSB competes raw. Do you know?

hi,

I read less and less lifters do good mornigs on their ME days compared to a few years ago. why is that.

is ME GM of any value to raw lifters?

thank you

zk

ScottYard
01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Scott, I was actually responding to this statement below (highlighted). I was just passing on something that I read. I was not responding to you.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh,

MY bizzle

Hazerboy
01-18-2010, 08:07 PM
I lift raw, and I usually lift westside for maybe 6 months out of the year. I never got anything out of them as a ME exercise, though I liked GMs as an accessory. I feel like I lose my groove if i don't include enough squat variations as a ME.

JK1
01-18-2010, 08:17 PM

Amy Weisberger is doing the RUM this year.

barbell01
01-18-2010, 08:17 PM
I lift raw, and I usually lift westside for maybe 6 months out of the year. I never got anything out of them as a ME exercise, though I liked GMs as an accessory. I feel like I lose my groove if i don't include enough squat variations as a ME.

what do you mean you "never got anything out of them"?

ScottYard
01-19-2010, 06:15 AM
what do you mean you "never got anything out of them"?

I agree with him.

When I would work up heavy in Gm's all the time my pull never moved. Once i dropped them for light flushing type G.M movements my pull moved again.

Maybe he was over trained in the LOW back like I was?

AdamBAG
01-19-2010, 07:36 AM
I got a lot out of GMs for max effort. I think this is because I have a longer torso than I do legs and when I started powerlifting I had a definite weakness in the middle and upper back. The GMs really made my midddle back strength go up.

The way we usually use them is one week do a GM and the next week do a deadlift on Mondays. On Fridays we always squatted and then some type of deadlift assistance like Romanians etc. Other people may not prefer to use them that way.

JK1
01-19-2010, 07:40 AM
I got a lot out of GMs for max effort. I think this is because I have a longer torso than I do legs and when I started powerlifting I had a definite weakness in the middle and upper back. The GMs really made my midddle back strength go up.
This is pretty much the reason I think I get alot out of them too.

blownby
01-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Anyone have a link to a "proper" concentric good morning? Preferably with a regular bar out of a rack, but whatever, as i'd like to see the proper form for this movement and try incorporating them.

Thanks,

AdamBAG
01-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Anyone have a link to a "proper" concentric good morning? Preferably with a regular bar out of a rack, but whatever, as i'd like to see the proper form for this movement and try incorporating them.

Thanks,

Here is a video of one of my training partners doing a concentric GM w/ a giant cambered bar off straps. We never do them with a straight bar or out of a rack, but at least it's a video to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0JLK6QP-8E