PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back In Shape

LadyGrip
01-18-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm going to give the journal thing a try. I figured it would hold me more accountable. I used to be in great shape up until mid-2003 which is when I got pregnant with my first child. I had her in 2004 and then another on in 2006 and a year and three months later, I had my last child. So needless to say, having three kids in a span of under 5 years took a real toll on my body. My youngest is now two years old and I'm NOT having any more so it's time to get my ass back in shape. Before I got pregnant with my first baby, I was heavy into Olympic Lifting and had barely any body fat- I was in great shape. I don't plan on getting back into Olympic Lifting as there's no longer anyone around me that is interested in it and training that alone is dangerous- need the spotter.

Anyway, I start back at the gym tomorrow- doing some cardio as well as weight lifting. I'm not sure of what my routine is going to be but will find out after my "boss" runs me through the mill and tells me what my training routine is going to be. It would be nice to have another girl to train with but whenever I've gone to the gym in town (YMCA), there has never been another woman in the weight room!! There have been many a time though that I've had to increase the weight on a machine after a man gets off from it... that's always a rewarding feeling (especially if they see me do it!!). LOL

Anyway- here goes nothing! Wish me luck!

Amy

LadyGrip
01-19-2010, 07:42 AM
I clicked the #1 COC shut yesterday but couldn't hold it long enough to get a picture of it. I tried doing it again right away but couldn't quite get it closed. My training for that continues...I'm going to try and put something together to bring to the gym tonight to help work on my pinch grip in hopes that it'll help me gain strength more quickly in my hands so I can progress more quickly with the grippers. I need to see if my hubby has an extra Rolling Thunder ..if so, I'm going to swipe it from his gym and bring it home to train on. The last time I did the RT, I was at 110 or 112 pounds w/out training so it'll be interesting to see how much more weight I can do w/ training.

I'll also start my cardio and weight lifting routine this afternoon and will log the final results/routine when I'm finished.

Amy

StLRPh
01-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Good luck getting back into it and closing the #1CoC is impressive!

LadyGrip
01-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Good luck getting back into it and closing the #1CoC is impressive!

Thanks, I appreciate it! I trained my grip for a short while about 6 years ago but didn't pick it back up until now. I was really close to closing the #2 C.O.C. when I left off 6 years ago ..but with no training, my hands have gotten weak but that's about to change :)

LadyGrip
01-20-2010, 07:11 AM
My first day back to the gym (last night) went good. I was under the impression that I was just going to walk through the machines to figure out what my routine was going to be. Not exactly right! I had to actually do 15 reps on each machine to find a comfortable weight which isn't a huge deal except for the fact that I went through every machine!!! Upper, Lower, Middle, Front, Back. I worked places I didn't even know I HAD! My PT took all of the info and will probably get back to me today with my routine which I'll start tomorrow. I need to add 1/2 hour cardio in before my weight lifting so I need to figure that part out yet...I used to run 2 miles a day but after not having ran in 6 years, I think I'll not do that ..maybe start off walking and maybe a little jogging. I'm sure my weight lifting routine will wear me out so I need to make sure and save enough energy for that. So yeah, I survived "orientation". I hope to get my schedule/routine tonight and will post it.

LadyGrip
01-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Looks like my first official weight training day starts bright and early tomorrow (5:30 a.m.). I'm choosing to workout in the morning verses late afternoon so that I can be home with the kiddo's while they are awake (that and I don't think my husband would appreciate me leaving him with the three of them late afternoon b/c he'd also have to cook supper for them!). I'll be lifting on M,W,F with a small amount of cardio to warm me up a bit. Tues & Thurs will be full on cardio. I'm sore today from Tuesday's trip to the gym. My legs are a little roughed up- probably from the inclined leg press. My upper body is sore too and that was definitely from the dips and the pull-ups ...muscle groups that haven't been used for years...rusty damn things. Boss man didn't get my routine done last night but will have it done by tonight. I wish I could fast forward about 4 weeks to avoid feeling the sore muscles. I've dropped a few more pounds over this past week which is surprising because I had only been dropping about a pound a week for the past 4 weeks....I'm almost at my goal weight so I imagine that it'll slow down again (or possibly I'll even gain over the next month with the weight training). I have a medium frame and if I go below about 145/150 pounds, I look like I'm anorexic!! When I was training before, I started out at 140 and was about a size 5 in womens jeans, very slim...after a few months of training, I gained 10 pounds of muscle and was still in a size 5 jean. So I definitely have a sporty body. By nature, I have muscular legs (without working out) both upper and lower so I usually see results with my legs almost immediately. If I get brave enough to take pictures as I go through my training, I'll post some (right after I visit the tanning booth a couple of times ..wouldn't want to blind anyone!!!). Anyway, I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning ...I'm excited to shape and mold my body back into what I want it to be!!!!!

LadyGrip
01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
My early a.m. workout went great. I left my routine workout at the gym and my husband took off for Los Angels today so I can't get another copy at the moment so will post it later this weekend or on Monday when he returns (he's at the Fit Expo). It involved three groups of 3 sets of 15 which basically worked the hell out of my upper and lower body. There are two different weightlifting workout plans that I will alterate each time I go (M,W,F). It sure feels good to get back to the gym...

LadyGrip
01-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Today is my workout day- I couldn't go this morning because my hubby is still on his way home from the Fit Expo in Los Angeles. He'll be home this afternoon and then I'll head off to the gym for round 2. I'm looking forward to it (with the exception of driving in the blizzard we're currently having!!). I'll try and get my workout routine posted sometime tonight.

LadyGrip
01-26-2010, 08:55 PM
I didn't make it to the gym yesterday because my hubby got stranded on his way home from L.A. (we had a blizzard here)- he got stranded only 1 hour away from home!! Anyway, I went to the gym tonight to do some cardio and a few other things- I plan on doing a regular workout tomorrow morning so I went easy tonight.

20 min's treadmill @ 4mph
20 min's elliptical (as fast as my legs would go!!)
Rotation of 3 sets of 15: pullups, dips, arm curls.
Rotation of 3 sets of 15: ab machine (114 lbs), lower back (156lbs).

So a light workout. My normal workouts (alternate) are as follows (M,W,F):

Cardio for 1st 20+ minutes. And 3 sets of 15 on the following (circuit):
Rotation #1: squats, leg extensios, leg curl
Rotation #2: shoulder press, lat pull down, incline press, biangular lat row
Rotation #3: tricep extension, arm curl, abs

Off Day: Cardio, Cardio, Cardio (Tues, Thurs, Sat)

Alternating Workout (3 sets of 15) (M,W,F):
Rotation #1: angled leg press, adductor, abductor
Rotation #2: Pullups, dips, dumbell curls
Rotation #3: Abs, Lower Back, Dumbell side raise, Dumbell bent raise.

I was a touch irritated tonight at the gym when I had to sit and wait for a machine while a 16 year old girl was sitting on it, not paying attention and TEXTING ..finally after about 5 minutes I tossed my clipboard down right in front of her and her head popped up and she then finished her set. Another good reason that my normal workouts are in the early morning ..none of those teenagers are in there messing around! :)

halfabrotha
01-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Don't you hate this Midwest weather messing with your workout schedule! Anyways, looks like you've had a good start on getting back to it. Good luck on reaching your goals.

GoodyGirl
01-27-2010, 04:52 AM
Hey! I'm subbed! You can do sets of 15 pullups & dips? OMG! You're a MACHINE!!!! Great reading! I'll be keeping an eye on your progress :)

LadyGrip
01-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Don't you hate this Midwest weather messing with your workout schedule! Anyways, looks like you've had a good start on getting back to it. Good luck on reaching your goals.

Yes, I hate this weather- it's gotten totally out of hand! I took a trip to the grocery store the day of the blizzard ..which is only three blocks away ..and it took me forever to get back home! I couldn't see a thing and there
were cars stuck everywhere ..thank Goodness for 4 wheel drive!

LadyGrip
01-27-2010, 05:17 AM
Hey! I'm subbed! You can do sets of 15 pullups & dips? OMG! You're a MACHINE!!!! Great reading! I'll be keeping an eye on your progress :)

I'm using a slight assist right now on the dips and pullups- never would be able to go straight into them. If it's any consolation, they were hard as hell to do and I REALLY wanted to add more weight to the machine to make it easier but I didn't. I did have one guy come up and say he was quite impressed- brought a big smile to my face:)

Well, I'm off to the gym!

Amy

lil' power
01-27-2010, 06:02 AM
Amy,

Glad you started a journal here...I will be checking in on it regularly.
Good luck with your goals.

Vikki

LadyGrip
01-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Just got back from the gym a short time ago. There were a lot of people I knew at the gym this morning which was nice but a little distracting (kept coming up to me wanting to visit. I don't mean to sound rude but I'm not there to visit ...I'm okay with a "hi, how's it going" but anything beyond that needs to happen outside of the gym so I can get my workout done and get back home before my hubby brings my 5 year old to school and my 2 and 3 year old wake up.

I should add that since last October, I have lost about 41 pounds (all baby fat from my three little angels). I lost it all just by changing my diet (no exercise). I need to lose another 10 pounds or so to get back to where I was "pre-baby". I'm really happy with my progress so far ..I can't believe I got that out of shape ..having the last 2 kids only 1 year and 3 months apart really screwed me up. I'm back on track now so I guess that's all that matters.

My workout today:

20 min treadmill to warm up followed by 3 sets of 15 of the following (circuit):

3x15 Angled Leg Press
3x15 Leg Adductors
3x15 Leg Abductors

3x15 Arm Curl
3x15 Dumbell side Raise
3x15 Dumbell bent raise

20 minutes on the Elliptical

My workout was a little light because I did some of the groups last night instead of doing all of them this morning. Friday will be a full workout with three group rotations for a total of 10 different machines/stations/free weights and then of course 40 minutes of cardio. I'll go in tomorrow to do cardio only- I love doing cardio...need to shed that last 10 pounds and I dont think it'll take very long at the rate I'm going.

Anyway- I'm feeling great and am looking forward to Friday!

Vikki- Thanks for the note! I'll be checking in on your journal as well. I can use all of the advice I can get ..it's great to learn things from others!

Happy training!

Amy

LadyGrip
01-27-2010, 08:08 AM
I'm adding my grip training log as well (which isn't much at this poing since I just recently got back into it). I'm basically just doing 4 sets of 1 with the trainer, then one or two attempts at the #1 (Captains of Crush), closing it as far as I can then forcing it to touch with my other hand and trying to resist it opening. I'm doing this about 2 to 3 times a day. My hands are finally toughening up a bit- that first week was hell on my hands/skin!! I'm able to pick up the trainer and close it w/out assistance or setting. With the #1, I am doing a credit card set and am closing it (not every time but most of the time). I have a #1.5 layed out but haven't touched that baby yet...I want to work on strengthening my hand a little more first.

LadyGrip
01-28-2010, 07:54 AM
I think I'm turning into a morning person! Never thought I'd see that happen. I woke up around 5:30 today and layed in bed...wasn't a bit tired so I finally got out of bed, threw my workout clothes on and headed to the gym for some cardio. I did about 40 minutes of cardio and then headed back home to get my 5 year old ready for school. Good start to a new day!

LadyGrip
01-29-2010, 07:04 AM
I got up bright and early this morning- got dressed for the gym, stepped outside and BAM ...about froze my arse off ..it was 9 BELOW zero. I had a good workout today:

3 sets of 15 on rotation:
Smith Squat Machine
Seated Leg Extensions
Seated Leg Curls

Shoulder Press
Lat Pull Down
Incline Press
Biangular Lat Row

Tricep Extension
Arm Curl
Abdominals

I had to stop and stretch inbetween groups- felt a little tight today. I skipped the 20 min treadmill warm up which I suspect was the problem. I did however get in 20 minutes on the elliptical after my lifting- I can actually keep up with the other people now (about 165 per min). I wasn't going to do any cardio today but decided that burnging off an extra 250 calories would be worth my while so I did it. I'm heading up north tomorrow for a little familiy get-away (Mall of America) and will be back on Sunday. The hotel we're staying at has a gym so I'll take advantage of that for my cardio while I'm away. I'm already feeling stronger and it's only been 1 1/2 weeks of training- hopefully things keep going well!

LadyGrip
02-01-2010, 07:41 AM
I spent 7 hours walking around the Mall of America on Saturday ...my legs were a little tired out this morning during my workout! My workout went really good today ..even though my motivation level was not the highest (I am worn out from the weekend) the workout seemed quite easy actually to the point where I'm going to probably increase the weight on some or most of my stations probably later this week or at the beginning of next week. I did three groups today- 3 sets of 15 on each:

Angled Leg Press 3x15 Assisted Pull-up 3x15 Ab machine 3x15 (very strong here)
Adductor 3x15 Assisted Dips 3x15 Lower back 3x15 (very strong here)
Abductor 3x15 Dumbell curls 3x15 Dumbell Side Raise 3x15
Dumbell bent raise 3x15

The Angled Leg Press was way too easy today- time to toss on another 30 to 50 pounds on that. I'll probably increase the weight on my squat workout on Wednesday as well. My legs seem to be responding very positively to everything ..more than I can say to my upper body - I feel like weakling when it comes to upper body!! You would think with CONSTANTLY lifting kids up all day long that I'd be stronger up top ...I must be using my back more than I thought I was ...my back is as strong as horse. When I do the back press machine (not sure of the proper name of the machine), I can press out far more than my body weight so I'm a little limited... if I put it at 220 lbs, my body lifts from the seat when I try and push it back and the belt on the machine is crappy and doesn't hold my body down. So I need to figure out a new way to work my back that wont limit the weight I can press. Any ideas?

I jumped on the elliptical today for 15 minutes (didn't have time to do more than that today). I'm going to do more cardio tonight here at home- I didn't feel like I got enough in this morning. All in all it was a good day at the gym!!

Happy lifting!

Amy

LadyGrip
02-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Cold as helk again this morning!! I went to the gym and did the treadmill until I was good and warmed up (until I got my heart rate up) and then jumped on the elliptical for 30 minutes. Just cardio today. My mom has an elliptical (expensive one) that she never uses and said I could have it ...I need to go and pick it up to save myself from having to go into the early morning COLD a few times a week. Makes more sense to do taht cardio at home w/ my own treadmill and elliptical than drag my butt out into the cold, start the truck up, etc. I'm a wuss when it comes to sub-zero temps!!

LadyGrip
02-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Tough day today. On the way to the gym I started feeling light headed and sick to my stomach. I waited out in the parking lot to see if it was going to get any better- finally did after 15 minutes so I went in and did my lifting routine and right at the end, I started feeling sick again so I got the hell out of there and went home and layed down. I figured my blood sugar must have been low so I ate some toast w/ peanut butter and sure enough, after about 10 minutes I was feeling better. That's the first time I've had trouble with my blood sugar level ..and man did it suck. I might try taking in 1/2 a protien shake in the mornings before heading to the gym to make sure that doesn't happen again!! I increased my weight on most of the stations today - not a lot but enough to where I could feel the burn. I did my #2 rotation workout today (somewhere in the posts above) but no cardio- got sick before I got to that part but will do my cardio tonight instead to catch up.

LadyGrip
02-04-2010, 07:25 AM
The rest of my day yesterday was slow-going. Didn't feel the best- my body felt really worn down so I took it easy. I got up this morning and went to the gym and did cardio for 40 minutes (elliptical at about 65/70 strides per minute) and then headed back home. I had lost a few pounds in the past three weeks but appear to have gained back 2 of them ..which is frustrating because I've been working my butt off to lose those last 10 to 15 pounds. I hope my gain is a sign of muscle gain and not fat gain!! I'm going to tighten up on my diet starting today ..it was pretty tight before but apparently I need to do some tweaking! Tomorrow's my regular weightlifting day- looking forward to it!

LadyGrip
02-05-2010, 07:43 AM
The weather was a little better this morning ..24 degrees which is like a heatwave for SW MN this time of year. I was limited on time today so only did my weightlifting and will do my cardio later this afternoon. My lifting was three groups today- 3 sets of 15 on each:

Angled Leg Press 3x15 Assisted Pull-up 3x15 Ab machine 3x15 (increased weight on leg press, decreased weight on pull up)
Adductor 3x15 Assisted Dips 3x15 Lower back 3x15 (increased weight on lower back, decreased weight on dips to make it more challenging)
Abductor 3x15 Dumbell curls 3x15 Dumbell Side Raise 3x15 (went fine- I'm not a huge fan of the abductor ..hurts!)
Dumbell bent raise 3x15

I'm feeling good with the exception that I didn't feel right walking out of the gym w/out having my cardio in- that really bothered me. I got up early enough today but realized on the way to the gym that I had to stop at the grocery store on the way home and also needed to be home by 7:00 a.m. to get some extra stuff done for my 5 year old before she left for school. I'll go back to the gym tonight and spend some time on cardio.

Lost the 2 pounds again- small victory.

LadyGrip
02-05-2010, 08:14 AM
With regard to my grip training- my hands/forearms don't seem to have gotten any stronger- not sure why. The #1 still seems pretty tough to close. The skin on my hands has toughened up though so at least my hands aren't burning anymore. I need to find more things to do at the gym to increase my hand and forearm strength.

Kipper
02-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Good luck. Looks like you know your stuff and do your thing.

LadyGrip
02-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks Kipper! I'm learning as I go. I used to do Olympic Lifting and my training was all with free weights ...so this switch to machines and only a limited amount of free weights is a little crazy for me but until I get myself built back up, I will stick to it. I work-out at the YMCA right now verses a private gym...the YMCA doesn't have bumper plates, etc. in order for me to train Olympic Lifting but when I do get stronger, I'll switch back over to the private gym so I can toss around some plates :)

Good luck with your training!

LadyGrip
02-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I ran to the gym quick and did 25 min's on the elliptical ...I stayed at about 170/175 strides/min and burned about 250 calories ..which means I can now have a few Super Bowl party snacks!! No lifting today- just during the week so it was nice to just go in there and do my cardio and head out. I'm noticing changes in my body finally ..leaner and I have more energy. I look forward to getting to the point where my body is good and fit so I can move on to fine tuning, adding muscle mass and basically sculpting my body into perfection.

Kipper
02-08-2010, 04:05 AM
Yeah I love how you feel fitter all day for working out now and then. Except for them freaking DOMS- Then again, those remind you you did something.

LadyGrip
02-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Arrived at the gym good and early today to make sure I could fit everything in w/out having to rush through. I did (3x15) smith squat (added 20 lbs), leg extension, leg curl, abs, arm curls, arm extensions, lats, incline press, shoulder press, lat row..and then 30 minutes on the elliptical at about 70 strides/min. I had a little "follower" today - creapy guy who was clearly not in the gym to get a serious workout in but rather there to stalk people and I seemed to be the lucky one he chose. There's a gentleman that goes to the YMCA that I used to work with for several years (up until last July) who I've been comparing lifting notes with which is nice- he's serious about his workouts which seems to be rare at the gym (oddly enough). Anyway, I had a great workout today and I felt great afterward (which means I probably need to increase my weights again- I was feeling a little TOO good today afterward..I should have been a little more worn out).

LadyGrip
02-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Arrived at the gym at about 6:00 a.m. today. My tri's were sore last night- wasn't sure if I'd be able to do dips today but I was able to.

Incline leg press- (added 20 pounds today) 3x15
Adductor 3x15 (still hate this one- I'm still weak in this area!)
Abductor 3x15
Arm curls 3x15
Bent Arm raises w/ weights 3x15
Side arm lifts w/ weights 3x15
Assisted dips 3x15
Assisted pullups 3x15
Abs 3x15 (added weight)
Lower back 3x15
20 min's on elliptical

Good workout today- I'm feeling stronger and stronger with each workout. My short term goal is to be doing more free weights sometime in April. I've been playing with the idea of getting back into Olympic Weightlifting...I so enjoyed it when I did it in the past. I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to do that at the YMCA since they would surely kick me out if I started hiking weighted bars above my head and then letting them drop to the ground (when doing cleans)...I might have to do my regular routine at the YMCA with free weights and then run to the private gym to do the actual Olympic Lifting training ..I just hate the extra time it's going to add on - I don't have much time to begin with!! We'll see- I'll make more definite plans come April or May.

LadyGrip
02-12-2010, 07:18 AM
It was a productive morning at the gym today (as soon as I pulled my head out of my ass). I started in on my lifting and realized I was doing the wrong workout (I was doing the one I just did on Wednesday). I only got through a couple machines before it dawned on me. Good grief! The gym stalker has now morphed into a stalker maid- cleaning machines after I was done using them (everyone is required to wipe down the machines after they use them). A lot bit strange and a tad distracting.

Anyway- I was so excited last nightÖI did a little flexing in front of the mirror (yep, women do it too) and was delighted to see my lats pop right outÖseeing improvement like that inspires me to get back in and dig even deeper and work even harder.

Today was:

Squats on Smith Machine 3x15
Seated leg extensions 3x15 (added more weight)
Seated leg curls 3x15
Shoulder press (I feel like such a sissy on this one)
Lat Pull Down (increased weight)
Incline Press (this one is getting easier)
Biangular Lat Row (love this one)
Tricep Extensions (added more weight)
Arm Curl (feel weak on this one yet)
Abdominals (added more weight)

30 minís on elliptical w/ 6 incline and about 160 strides/min

I walked out of the gym feeling great today. Iím not one to pay much attention to the people working out in the gym around me but I did notice today that there was some nice scenery .

Iím off to Nebraska today so Iíll be taking the weekend off from any cardioÖ. Unless walking around shopping for hours on end counts? 

LadyGrip
02-15-2010, 09:01 PM
It was a struggle to get to the gym today- the weather here is horrific. Thank goodness I have 4wheel drive or I would not have made it there..huge drifts..a ton of snow. I lost count of the number of cars stuck along the way to the gym ..I was too focused on making sure that I made it there without getting stuck!!

Anyway- I got there and the gym was pretty much empty which was great (and not a surprise ...all of those people I saw stuck along the way were probably on their way to the gym:). I had a good workout.

Incline leg press- (added 20 pounds today) 3x15
Adductor 3x15 (this one is finally getting better!)
Abductor 3x15
Arm curls 3x15
Bent Arm raises w/ weights 3x15
Side arm lifts w/ weights 3x15
Assisted dips 3x15 (decreased weight ..man did that BURN)
Assisted pullups 3x15 (decreased weight...it was hard to get the last few in)
Abs 3x15
Lower back 3x15 (I'm pretty confident I can clear the stack on this if I maxed out- very strong back)
20 min's on elliptical

All went well. It's time to get to bed so I can get up and dig myself out of my driveway in order to get to the gym in the morning for some cardio. I hope the snow plows are out ... they were not out today because it was a Holiday for city and state employees.... which I can understand but would it kill them to have a few people on hand for emergencies? I think I pay enough in dues to this city for them to get the roads cleared..some of us don't have the luxury of getting all Holidays off!! Damn them! LOL

Nite!

Amy

LadyGrip
02-16-2010, 07:14 AM
I went in today and spent just over 1/2 hour on the elliptical. Incline of 5, resistance at 5, about 65 to 70 strides/min. I could have went forever on that thing but I had to get back home so I cut it off after about 35 minutes. I was pleasantly pleased when I stepped on the scale after my workout - I lost another 2.5-3 pounds over the past week or two so that was nice to see.

Time for my second workout of the day - taking care of my three extremely energetic kids and trying to juggle my consulting business on top of that as well. FUN! :)

LadyGrip
02-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Nothing new to report really- same workout routine.

Today was:

Squats on Smith Machine 3x15
Seated leg extensions 3x15 (added more weight)
Seated leg curls 3x15
Shoulder press
Lat Pull Down
Incline Press (added another 12 pounds on this one)
Biangular Lat Row
Tricep Extensions
Arm Curl
Abdominals

20 minís on elliptical w/ 6 resistance and about 165 strides/min

I jumped on the scale after my workout and found that I've lost another pound since yesterday! I know that doesn't seem like a lot but I was excited about it. I know I wont lose too much more so every pound lost is to be celebrated. An update on the gym stalker for those who are interested- it appears that he now combs his hair before coming to the gym .. his routine still seems erratic (all over the place) and he has now added the elliptical to his routine. No, I am not tracking his every move...he makes himself unavoidable. Quite honestly, it has become good entertainment while on the elliptical- passes time more quickly. LOL

Have a great day!

Amy

LadyGrip
03-09-2010, 07:30 AM
I've been bad at writing in here! Nothing has changed, still doing the same two workout routines (alternating them). I have continued to add weight to most all of the groups. I'm still doing cardio 5 days a week as well as lifting 3 days a week. I've been having problems with squatting lately ...I'm not recovering as well as I should be so I'm lowering the reps on those and adding a little weight to see how that goes. I'm visibly gaining muscle and also still dropping weight (VERY slowly). I'd like to get my BMI tested in the near future and start tracking that as well. With the weather starting to get nicer now, I plan on maybe getting back into running .. I HATE running but it's good cardio for me ..I'll have to ease myself into it. Maybe run 2 days a week on my non-lifting days and then do other cardio the other three days on my lifting days. We'll see. Hope everyone is doing well! I'll try and post where I'm at with weights when I get a chance (I've never posted how much I'm actually lifting...it's not a lot ..I'm just starting out but I'll get there eventually).

LadyGrip
03-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Oh- almost forgot. Just wanted to congratulate my husband, Wade Gillingham on the fine job he did at the Mighty Mitts competition at the Arnold Classic this past weekend. Also, congratulations to my brother-in-law Brad Gillingham for the outstanding performance at the GNC Deadlift contest at the Arnold Classic. A true family of strength!!! Might be some photos up on their website- www.jackalsgym.com.

LadyGrip
03-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I finally found a few minutes to sit down and write out my full routine w/ weights. I lift weights on M,W,F and I alternate each workout between two different routines:

Leg Curls- 3x15x72
Leg Exensions- 3x15x72
Smith Squat: 3x15x90
Shoulder Incline: 3x15x48 (I'm very weak on this!!)
Lat Pulldown: 3x15x60 (need to move this up)
Biangular Incline: 3x15x54
Arm Curl: 3x15x36
Tri Extensions: 3x15x48
Back Press: 3x15x168
Ab's: 3x15x132
30 minutes on the elliptical w/ 6 resistance and min of 60 strides per minute.

Alt days:
Angled Leg press: 3x15x90
Leg Abductor: 3x15x68
Leg Adductor: 3x15x48
Dumbell side raise: 3x15x8 (weak)
Dumbell bent rais: 3x15x8 (weak)
Dumbell Arm Curls: 3x15x20
Back Press: 3x15x168
Abs: 3x15x132
Dips w/ 88lb assist: 3x15
Chinups w/ 88lb assist: 3x15
30 min's on ellpitical w/ 6 resistance w/ min of 160 strides per minute.

That's the M,W,F routine. On Tues & Thursdays I go in and do cardio only and it's usually just the elliptical which is good for now- plan to start running at some point.

Today went well- my routine was the one with smith squats- I felt strong today and every machine seemed too easy so it's time to make more adjustments. My lower body is becoming stronger more quickly than my upper body. I must be doing okay for upper body though because I'm losing my chest .... (sobbing) ..not too sure what I'm goign to do that about problem! LOL

Anyway- my workouts have been going really great. I'm getting stronger and I feel and look healthy. I'm eating healthy as well which helps as well.

Well- off I go to get some work done. Hope everyone's having a great week!

Amy

LadyGrip
04-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Oh geez, I've been bad about posting on here. I'm still going strong in the gym- my body has been responding really well and I'm quite pleased with how my body is taking shape. My legs are just crazy..I am actually going to stop doing leg extensions b/c some of the muscles in my upper part of my legs are getting bigger than I would like. I'm going to continue w/ my routine but cut out leg extensions for a bit and add in more upper body lifting to get my upper body caught up with my lower body. I'm very please with my progress...I even added in running verses all of the elliptical junk ...and I hate running for the most part but I'm getting good results from it so I'll stick with it. I've went up on the lbs's I'm lifting and when I get a chance I'll bring my chart home from the gym and post when I'm now at for lifting! Hope all is well- I'm going to try and get my profile picture updated tonight if I can figure it out again! :)

LadyGrip
04-29-2010, 07:43 AM
I decided to not go in and do cardio today- I've been up at 5:00/5:30 a.m. every day for the past week in order to get to the gym every day along with a bunch of other stuff I had going on this past week and I am totally wiped out so decided to take a day off. I discovered muscles on my abdominals this morning that I never knew I had...my stomach exercises must be working...it's a mix-match of different things that I've put together that seem to be the perfect storm. Small victory! I am so glad I'm back in shape again. I'd still like to drop about 10 pounds but it's going to be very slow-going because I'm fairly muscular now and losing even 1 pound is a challenge for me now...I continue to gain muscle weight so I'm not even sure I have 10 pounds to lose. I guess time will tell! I was thinking if I drop another 10 pounds, I'd be a nice slim size 5 ..however, I think I've over-done it on my legs and I dont know that I'll ever be able to get them into a size 5!! Might have to stay at a size 7 and wear belts! LOL Anyway, I'll be back to the gym tomorrow morning- it's a squat day which I kind of dread ...squatting isn't my favorite thing to do. My favorite is dips and pull-ups, push ups (oddly enough). Have a good day everyone!

LadyGrip
05-06-2010, 09:51 AM
All has been well (until yesterday) at the gym, lifting is going great ...even better than great actually. HOWEVER ...yesterday, I broke my Proximal Phalange bone in my foot. Had to go in and get it reset and then braced. It'll be 6 to 12 weeks before I will be able to run and it'll be about 4 to 6 weeks before I can do any squatting and/or leg press, deadlift and anything that puts a great deal of pressure on my foot. So I'm really bummed out ..I was making so much progress and was even up to running 2 miles a day which I was so proud of since I'm not a runner and never have been. So I'll have to start all over with running when I'm able to run again and I imagine I'll fall behind in leg strength as well :( I'm bummed about it all .... really sucks.

LadyGrip
05-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I went to the gym last Friday and left frustrated ....couldn't even ride a stationary bike for cardio. I did some upper body workout and then left in a huff. I went to the gym again this morning and did my upper body workout and also threw in some leg curls b/c it didn't involve any pressure to my foot so no chance of injury. I also did adductors and abductors as well. So I did get some lower body in but not much. On the way out, I hopped on the elliptical just to see if I could do it slowly w/out much pain ..and I could so I asked the Doctor (podiatrist) if it was okay for me to do the elliptical if I went slow....and then answer was NO. No elliptical, no running, no treadmill, no stationary bike, no outdoor biking, nothing, nothing, nothing for at least 6 weeks. That was depressing ..I had saved a little bit of hope that I could figure out something to do for cardio w/out hindering the recovery process but I guess I'm SOL. I'm going to have to revise my entire diet now that I'm going to be burning about 500 calories less per day now. JOY, JOY, cutting calories...yuke. I have been so bitter this past week about this entire broken bone thing. I even cried last night at the thought of losing 6 weeks of training after all of the hard work I had put in to get to where I am today with my training, muscle tone, body shape, etc. Hopefully I'll pull myself out of the slump - I'll be SUPER happy when I can get out and run again and do whatever cardio I want to do. I'm going to go to the gym every damn day and train my upper body ..it seems to be recovering really well so I dont think there's a need to wait a day inbetween. I'm taking baby steps in going up in weights so that my recovery time is quicker. Off I go- hope all is well!

LadyGrip
05-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I've been doing the usual but training every day on my upper body verses every other day. I figured I might as well get my upper body whipped into shape since I can't do all of my lower body weight lifting until my foot heals. I'm also focusing on my mid section- trying to tone every stomach and side muscle that exists. I've been tossing around the idea of maybe training for a triathlon and just working on the swimming part of it right now since I can at least do that much and then focus on the running and biking once the foot is healed. It would give me something to challenge myself with. I dont think it'll happen this year but if I start thinking about putting together a good routine now and start with the swimming now and adding the running and biking in 6 to 8 weeks when things are healed, I'd probably maybe even be able to do a full triathlon next year (verses 1/2 triathlon). I'll see how the swimming part goes first..I like to swim but am unsure how great I'd be at it at long distances. I've cut down a few pounds since I broke my foot- must be muscle weight in my legs I assume. It'll be great to be back to normal again!!

LadyGrip
05-24-2010, 07:37 AM
I made it to the pool yesterday and spent a couple of hours in the water. Whoa, it was much harder than I thought it would be....good cardio workout. My foot survived it all - minimal pain involved but overall it went well. I'm still going to the gym 5 days a week and working my upper body and that's going great ...I'm getting a lot stronger up top. By the time my foot heals, my upper body will be slammen :) I'm not looking to get real bulky or anything...I just want to get my body nice and tight and have an atheletic look to it. I think it already looks athletic but it's not quite defined enough yet. I'm getting there though!! I've gotten so into my workouts that when the weekends roll around, I miss going to the gym..how sad! LOL I can finally do UNASSISTED pull-ups and dips!!!! Hell yeah! I am pretty excited about that.

So my workout right now consists of a lot of ab work (about 5 or 6 different exercises on my abs, daily), dips, pull-ups, leg curls, leg extensions, abductors, adductors, lats, side bent raise, arm curls, tris, back press and I'll be doing swimming for cardio (3 days a week verses 5) until I can get back to running and then I'll alternate the two. I'd still like to drop another 10 pounds or so...that would leave me really lean ..I doubt I'll be able to lose the 10, not sure my body will allow it! :)

Train Like An Animal!

Amy

LadyGrip
06-17-2010, 07:42 AM
My foot has finally healed enough to allow me to start easing back into my cardio routine and lower body lifting routine. I didn't like swimming so much so I'm glad my foot is healing so I can do the normal routine instead!! I squatted this week for the first time in 6 weeks...it felt good but WOW it hurt the next few days afterward ..could hardly bend over without feeling like my legs were going to give out. I jumped on the elliptical yesterday too- went okay.. not great but okay. I might try some aerobics for the next 4 weeks to help tone my lower body back up and then continue on with lifting to build some mass back up. I wont be able to run for a few more weeks yet, too much pain yet from the foot break to do that yet. My upper body is looking great now ...6 straight weeks of 5 days a week in the gym working my upper body ..it did wonders. My arms, shoulders, back and abs are nicely toned (boarderline ripped in the arms). I'll probably start backing off to 3 days a week on the upper body now that I'm getting back into being able to work the lower body again. I have no doubt that the lower body will catch right back up within a couple of weeks... it has never taken much for me to get my legs in shape and muscular (happens almost TOO quickly).

So anyway, I've been hauling ass in the gym ..working my butt off every day. It's all worth it. I've surpassed all of the other females in the gym with regard to how much I'm lifting so that's a good sign. I flew down to Texas for 5 days this past week to visit friends and party ...I did manage to drag them all to the gym (they were a pathetic sight in the gym). It was odd ..I was the ONLY one doing free weights and everyone else in the gym was doing aerobics and/or P90X. So I had to go it on my own. I was just impressed that I had the energy to even get to the gym at all when I was there... none of us went to bed before 3:00 a.m. each night/morning!

Off I go- lots of work to be done!

Train Like An Animal!!

Amy

LadyGrip
06-20-2010, 10:17 PM
First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS goes out to my brother-in-law, Brad Gillingham for a wonderful job done at the 2010 National Powerlifting Championships (Open) .. he placed 1st. His last dead lift was 881 and from what I saw, it was perfect but they called him and didn't give him credit for it for some reason or another ..pathetic call ..would have been a Nationals record and world record. I guess he'll just have to do it again at Worlds in South Africa this year:).

Now for me- cardio is going well! Foot is feeling good. I plan on trying a little running tomorrow..maybe 10 minutes to test the waters to see if my foot can handle it. The weight lifting is going great. I have basically lost all of the weight I need to lose and now I'll just be toning up more and adding some bulk in areas that need it (some may require plastic surgery in order to accomplish that...LOL). Hope all is well with everyone. Stay strong and fight the fight.