PDA

View Full Version : switching from bb bench to pl bench

MikeWilliams
01-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Well until I joined here, I didn't know there was a difference between bodybuilding benchpress and powerlifting...I trained the last year and got my bench from 265 to 315 bodybuilder style...now that I learned about tucking elbows I'm really struggling with the same amount of weight

has anybody been through this change of style? did it take long to adapt and is it better for power in the long run?

vdizenzo
01-18-2010, 06:49 PM
You will take a step back before you take two steps forward. You are used to benching with your chest, shoulders, and triceps. Tucking the elbows really incorporates the back and you are not used to that. However, think of how much bigger your back is than your chest, shoulders, or triceps. In time you will learn to harness that power. You also need to work on form and incorporating your legs. Here's a link to a helpful article written by a brilliant bencher http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128784&highlight=mindset+great+bench

MikeWilliams
01-18-2010, 07:44 PM
You will take a step back before you take two steps forward. You are used to benching with your chest, shoulders, and triceps. Tucking the elbows really incorporates the back and you are not used to that. However, think of how much bigger your back is than your chest, shoulders, or triceps. In time you will learn to harness that power. You also need to work on form and incorporating your legs. Here's a link to a helpful article written by a brilliant bencher http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128784&highlight=mindset+great+bench

this what i needed to hear..thanks I'll check out the link

Sean S
01-18-2010, 08:29 PM
My bench initially went down after switching to a PL style. It eventually came back and I was even stronger once I got used to it. Be patient, it took me a couple months to get back to my max from the old style.

Judas
01-19-2010, 07:42 AM
My bench actually jumped 20lbs in one workout, when i switched to a PL ('Westside') style set-up. I'd been trying for a good while to figure it out and get it right, but when i finally did it was amazing. I had disproportionately strong triceps and back though. That certainly helps. Most people i've seen make the switch took a little while for the new set-up to catch up to the old way.

Learning2Lift
01-19-2010, 08:22 AM
I actually have been working on the switch for the last 2 months or so, find someone who knows what their talking about, and be patient. My bench initially dropped but within a couple weeks i was getting new PR's almost every workout. Still got A TON to learn, but enjoying the switch.

MikeWilliams
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
thanks for the replies...I'll be patient ... I read the link and I'm going to utilize the info

Astreocclu
01-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Do i do PL style bench if im focused on football pushing power(blocking and such)?

NickAus
01-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Do i do PL style bench if im focused on football pushing power(blocking and such)?

Yes!

Astreocclu
01-19-2010, 06:13 PM
K good thats what i did yesteday on my max efffort. My shoulders killed me after though...took a bit of massage to be able to fall asleep. just a FYI i got the same on my max effort

mastermonster
01-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes!

Yes here too! It is more directly similar to your body mechanics when you deliver (for example) a hand shiver to a players chest or helmet (yeah, it's been a few years since I played and the head was fair game). Your shoulder balades are drawn back and cocked with the elbows tucked and compact and the using leg and total body drive you deliver the blow with an outward arching thrust. It's one of the most powerful feelings on earth when it falls together right and you take a guy clean off his feet. (Damn I miss it sometimes!). Think about it. Nobody stands straight up draws the elbows out high and wide, and slowly pushes their palms at the defender or blocker...unless your the one getting knocked off your feet! LOL!

Astreocclu
01-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the explanation

tomv
01-20-2010, 03:00 AM
Here's a link to a helpful article written by a brilliant bencher http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128784&highlight=mindset+great+bench

If you do say so yourself ay Vinny? :P

Can't argue with the truth haha.

Beaker
01-20-2010, 11:14 AM
yup. im undergoing the same process right now, it takes some getting used to but it will come. just be patient and work hard.

robchris
01-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Mike,

Keep working and you'll be astonished at what you're able to press PL style... Read Vin's article closely and apply those principles accordingly.

In addition to your set-up on the bench, hammer your lats/ upper-back & tri's to further assist in a bigger BP.
Good luck,
RC

JSully
01-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Here's a link to a helpful article written by a brilliant bencher http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128784&highlight=mindset+great+bench

brilliant plug Mr. Dizenzo

lol

BigTallOx
01-22-2010, 01:52 PM
yup. im undergoing the same process right now, it takes some getting used to but it will come. just be patient and work hard.

Andrew
Height 6'8 Weight 310 (Goal 280)
5-3-1 program started September 2009
Bests as of 1/11/10 (all raw, mid workout)
Bench -275x9 -315x2 Goal 360x1
Dead - 425x7 Goal 500x1
Squat - 375x7 Goal 450x1

Wow, another 6'8" guy on the board. Cool.

MikeWilliams
01-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Mike,

Keep working and you'll be astonished at what you're able to press PL style... Read Vin's article closely and apply those principles accordingly.

In addition to your set-up on the bench, hammer your lats/ upper-back & tri's to further assist in a bigger BP.
Good luck,
RC

I will try, thanks...