PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift in briefs?

EmptyBarbell
01-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Are there many deadlifters out there that use squat briefs in conjunction with their squat/deadlift suit to deadlift in? If so, do you feel it adds that much benefit to your deadlift? and if so how?
Thanks.:confused:

douglasoh5
01-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Pretty much any top sumo lifter has briefs under the suit....briefs under a conv suit is more of a filler....but almost any good puller i see at a meet is using a suit and briefs...Some that use canvas dont use the briefs under it but some do

AdamBAG
01-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Quite a few guys that pull sumo wear briefs/suit. Many wear the same suit and briefs that they squat in, some don't.

Some conventional pullers like the briefs with a singlet combo.

Honestly, wear what you feel the strongest in that doesn't kill your technique.

theBarzeen
01-20-2010, 03:02 PM
I just switched to sumo so I'm just working the briefs and a singlet...... the 3-ply overkill briefs are enough gear to work without a suit to worry about.......

Brian Hopper
01-20-2010, 03:21 PM
IMO, pulling conventional with briefs and a suit is to much. I feel less gear works better conventional and more gear would work better for some pulling sumo.

mikesbench
01-20-2010, 08:09 PM
I agree with Brian. I use briefs + suit for squat, then the same suit with no briefs to pull sumo.

ScottYard
01-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Might as well wear it all as far as Im concerned. Just be sure to wear the full get up in training as well as the meet. I have seen guys only train in the birefs and then go to a meet and put the suit on and everything went to ****. practice how you will play.

theBarzeen
01-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Might as well wear it all as far as Im concerned. Just be sure to wear the full get up in training as well as the meet. I have seen guys only train in the birefs and then go to a meet and put the suit on and everything went to ****. practice how you will play.

+1

I did that at AWPC worlds in 2009...... I was pulling ~605 in just a belt in the gym and doing it easily in just my light deadlifting suit...... I added briefs at the meet ( I did it the meet before and it was fine, I'm just 20 lbs heavier now)..... 601 felt like a house but went up using all back since I couldn't get my hips down...... 611 barely made it to the knee...... I just couldn't get in to my form.....

scott rowe
01-22-2010, 11:21 AM
use what gear you can. but all about technique.

EmptyBarbell
01-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Yea.. I concur that technique is key regardless of the equipment type... I was curious as to what the heavy hitters were doing.....I believe that you have to posture yourself as much as possible for success... training and equipment used are definite tools towards that endeavor!.

Thanks guys for the responses!:fart: