PDA

View Full Version : I Am Having A Few Issues With My Squat

Siked
01-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Hello, :hello:

Recently I have been noticing some issues with me when I am squatting. First off my big issue at the moment is my back not being able to support the weight. For example when I try doing 385 lbs and after I get down to parallel and start to head back up my legs can move it up pretty easily but my back cannot and will usually bend forward resulting in pretty ugly form. How should I solve this problem? Should I focus on strengthening my abs and lower back more? :confused: What would be some good exercises for doing that?

Then my next issue which I am having some trouble with as well is my squat form. I know when you squat your weight should be on your heels and not your toes, but for some reason I cannot make it do that. I have heard before you attempt to squat you should raise your toes of the ground and this will result in your weight being forced back on your heels. Is this true? What else besides that can I use to fix that problem. :confused:

Anyway thanks for reading and sorry if my post is rather long. I would just like like to get a few of these issues taken care of.

MarcusWild
01-19-2010, 11:16 AM
It's probably weak hamstrings more than anything else. That's why you're staying on your toes. That's why your hips rise more than the bar does. Those are both classic signs of someone that squats with all quads. Find as many different ways as you can to train your hamstrings and hammer them twice a week.

Travis Bell
01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Glute ham raise would be a good start

walker
01-19-2010, 12:20 PM
good mornings helped me a lot when i was having that problem. glute ham raises are also a good thing to do.
as far as keeping the weight on your heels, my training partner had the same problem for a while before he broke his leg. after he got cleared to start lifting again i got the idea to put something under the balls of his feet to re-teach him how to squat and make the weight stay on his heels, and now he has better form than i do. try putting a 5-10 lb. plate under the balls of your feet and try that for a few weeks. i've heard of people doing the same thing but with a raise under their heels, so if one way don't work then try the other.
hope that helps.

Siked
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Alright thanks for the help you guys. I actually started doing those last week when I realized my back wasn't quite up to par. Is there anything else you can suggest?

As far as putting something under the balls of my feet, I will have to give that a try. It certainly seemed like it helped your lifting partner out a lot. Thanks for the tip.

slashkills
01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
make sure your elbows are under the bar. That will help with the lean quite a bit if they arent.

thewicked
01-19-2010, 01:04 PM
yep all signs point to a weak posterior chain..

everything everyone said makes sense..which is why you're leaning forward so much and bending over to make depth. Your back side isn't strong enough to carry the weight you're using.

all prescribed exercises in this thread thus far are solid..good mornings and glute hams are my favorite.

sayagain
01-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Ditto to what everyone else said... Good mornings have helped me quite a bit. I've used both light weight with really strict form for higher reps (8-12), and I've also done heavier sets of 3-5 reps. I'm sure GHR's would help as well, but I don't currently have access to one to give firsthand advice.

Niko_El_Piko
01-19-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree with Travis. Also a good way to strengthen your posterior chain is to work them with Box Squats.
Where do you place the barbell? The barbell must rest on your traps, with your shoulder blades very tight.
The other thing you must consider is the hip drive.

Rgds

mastermonster
01-19-2010, 06:43 PM
I'd add to make sure you're sitting back 1st with your hips (like sitting back to a chair). That makes it much easier to stay erect with the back. You may be breaking forward 1st with the knees. Like someone would start to drop forward to their knees. Even if just a little it will really screw up your squat.

theBarzeen
01-20-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm guessing it's a form issue.... without video it's just guessing.... but it sounds like you're bending way forward in the bottom so when you go to drive back up your legs are driving your hips up but the weight is so far forward you're just putting all the weight in to your back....... nobody this side of Steve Goggins can get away with squatting like that......

Siked
01-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Wow everyone thanks a lot for all of the help and support. I certainly believe it is a mix of poor form as well as lack of strength and I will focus on both. Thanks for the help everyone, I will be doing Good Mornings and Glute Ham raises religiously now.

Niko_El_Piko: I do put the bar on my traps with my shoulder blades tight. Also I will look in to box squats.

Thanks everyone again.