PDA

View Full Version : Drinking

XMadmanX
01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm going away to college in about a month where I will be drinking on average twice a week (maybe more in the first month). What's the best way to juggle this with the slow bulk I'm planning. I have been on a cut and have lost about 4kg thus far. Should I do cardio throughout the week to burn off the excess calories, and continue on usual diet?

edit: my goal for the end of 2010 is to be 80kg@ 12-13%. At the moment I'm 77kg@ 16%.

Justin R
01-20-2010, 05:29 PM
If you can fit it in to your target calories while maintaining your proper macros, then don't worry about it. If not you will have to do something to burn off the calories.

I suggest the sex you should be having as a result of all of your college drinking :hump:

Bodyguard
01-20-2010, 05:36 PM
You could.......not drink?

XMadmanX
01-20-2010, 05:39 PM

that is crazy.

K.Huget
01-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Try planning so that your drinking nights are not before a workout day. I've never had a good workout the day after. Just eat smart and you'll be fine

accrane
01-20-2010, 07:36 PM
I drink absolute/water, twist of lime. 0 calories...Just dont drink to excess to the point where it ruins the next days workout.

Mercuryblade
01-20-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm going away to college in about a month where I will be drinking on average twice a week (maybe more in the first month). What's the best way to juggle this with the slow bulk I'm planning. I have been on a cut and have lost about 4kg thus far. Should I do cardio throughout the week to burn off the excess calories, and continue on usual diet?

edit: my goal for the end of 2010 is to be 80kg@ 12-13%. At the moment I'm 77kg@ 16%.

Rotate your weekends. Do two on one weekend, one on the next weekend. That, or just drink twice a week. Honestly, there is really only one time in your life where it is pretty acceptable to get tanked two nights in a row, enjoy it while you can.
Keep yourself under control when you hit up that cafeteria food, and keep your lifting on track.
Also, walk to class whenever possible.

K.Huget
01-20-2010, 08:43 PM
I drink absolute/water, twist of lime. 0 calories...Just dont drink to excess to the point where it ruins the next days workout.

I hope you aren't suggesting that vodka has no calories. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram.

tnathletics2b
01-20-2010, 09:13 PM

+1

extra characters

pandospace
01-20-2010, 10:20 PM
as a recovering college student :drooling: here are some alcohol facts;

1: inhibits fat burning until the 7 cal/gram is metabolized (ethanol does not turn into fat)
2: creates an environment for fat storing (ie increase appetite)
3: dehydrates muscle tissue thus decreasing recovery
4: decreases testosterone/increase estrogen
5: increases body temperature and metabolism marginally
6: feeling like ****..****ty workouts (though ive hit some PR's hungover)

if u were to drink id stick to diet coke and vodka/rum whutnot

J.C.
01-21-2010, 07:38 AM
This is one of those things where everybody will differ in both opinion and physiological response.

Are you somebody who gets fat easily? Then you might want to be cautious with the calories in beer. Some people are just better suited to metabolising alcohol. Personally, I was always an ectomorph so when I was out I used to drink Guinness or white Russians because they have more protein and calories! I always made sure to keep a little money back to buy junk food on the way home as well. And I stayed lean. :)

Personally I think all the mega-keen people who suggest not drinking through college should all relax and go live a little. Seriously, don't worry about it so much. Go drink, get laid, talk **** till the early mornings, make new buddys, be a pretentious *******, and get some interesting stories. Nobody likes the guy who spends every waking hour in the gym. Except the other guys who spend every waking hour in the gym, in which case you need to decide your social circle.

If you keep your focus on diet and exercise then things will even themselves out. You'll learn with time what you can get away with. When you're really sore and tired from that morning's squat workout you won't want to get hammered anyway.

soclydeza
01-21-2010, 07:55 AM
pure ethanol is 7cal per gram. hard alc is more since theres more involved. i believe vodka is 64 cal per shot, whisky is somethere above 100cal. if your gonna drink hard booze, do vodka, i think its had the least amount of cal and it wont give you as bad of a hangover as other drinks will. the clearer the better

K.Huget
01-21-2010, 12:46 PM
http://www.getdrunknotfat.com/

tnathletics2b
01-21-2010, 12:56 PM
This is one of those things where everybody will differ in both opinion and physiological response.

Are you somebody who gets fat easily? Then you might want to be cautious with the calories in beer. Some people are just better suited to metabolising alcohol. Personally, I was always an ectomorph so when I was out I used to drink Guinness or white Russians because they have more protein and calories! I always made sure to keep a little money back to buy junk food on the way home as well. And I stayed lean. :)

Personally I think all the mega-keen people who suggest not drinking through college should all relax and go live a little. Seriously, don't worry about it so much. Go drink, get laid, talk **** till the early mornings, make new buddys, be a pretentious *******, and get some interesting stories. Nobody likes the guy who spends every waking hour in the gym. Except the other guys who spend every waking hour in the gym, in which case you need to decide your social circle.

If you keep your focus on diet and exercise then things will even themselves out. You'll learn with time what you can get away with. When you're really sore and tired from that morning's squat workout you won't want to get hammered anyway.

I guess we have different opinions on what living means...

Mercuryblade
01-21-2010, 01:16 PM

Apparently, but why did you have to make that comment?

That's the only beef I have with a lot of people that don't drink. If you don't drink I don't care, but you don't need to tell me about it.

My GF's dad doesn't drink. But if someone offers him a beer, instead of saying "no thanks" he always has to say "no thank you, I don't drink". The question wasn't "do you want a beer, and if not, why?" it was "do you want a beer?"
I don't eat dessert, I feel it has no place in my diet. When people offer me dessert, which happens a lot at family functions or work functions I don't feel the need to say "no thanks, I don't eat dessert," I just say "no thanks." And if they ask me why (which happens nearly everytime someone brings in a baked good to work) I just tell them that I don't really like sweets.

J.C.
01-21-2010, 06:34 PM
I didn't really drink when I was 18-19. I drank too much when I was 16 and had gone off it by that point.

I drank more as I got older because I became a more mature person with better rationality. University lasts a very short time, make the most of it. Do what you like but remember there are two types of similar people, the one who doesn't drink at all and becomes defined by that choice, and the one who has a drink but doesn't drink excessively. I'd say the second person is the one who is really in control.

And yeah, to answer your question, when I think back to my undergrad years, getting drunk on brandy at the back of an art film screening with a girl I just met, then having crazy sex with her till the early hours and discussing Baudelaire together, definitely tops my memory of the first time I squatted over 315. But I guess to each his own...

pigout789
01-22-2010, 07:57 AM
lol drummer you got those two people you were talking about mixed up. Its really the person who drinks but is under control. and then the idiot who drinks and gets wasted then gets in his car and dies on the way home. You sir have got it all wrong. Ive had too many friends who thought they had it under control and got behind the wheel and didnt get home.

Y2A
01-22-2010, 08:03 AM

That's the only beef I have with a lot of people that don't drink. If you don't drink I don't care, but you don't need to tell me about it.

My GF's dad doesn't drink. But if someone offers him a beer, instead of saying "no thanks" he always has to say "no thank you, I don't drink". The question wasn't "do you want a beer, and if not, why?" it was "do you want a beer?"
I don't eat dessert, I feel it has no place in my diet. When people offer me dessert, which happens a lot at family functions or work functions I don't feel the need to say "no thanks, I don't eat dessert," I just say "no thanks." And if they ask me why (which happens nearly everytime someone brings in a baked good to work) I just tell them that I don't really like sweets.

lol. I don't drink and if offered I will just say "no thanks." If they ask why or continue to offer, I'll tell them I don't drink. I don't have anything against those who do, to each their own.

AKMass
01-22-2010, 08:36 AM

He probably says that to avoid the question "why?". I drink, but I often turn drinks down, and then people look at me like I have two heads. Often, giving a short answer such as "I don't drink" deters further probing, and saves me from half an hour of explanation of how drinking is detrimental to my goals.

J.C.
01-22-2010, 12:32 PM
lol drummer you got those two people you were talking about mixed up. Its really the person who drinks but is under control. and then the idiot who drinks and gets wasted then gets in his car and dies on the way home. You sir have got it all wrong. Ive had too many friends who thought they had it under control and got behind the wheel and didnt get home.

So... you're agreeing with me? Re-read my post because you've responded to a different point to the one I made. One of my classmates at school died in a car crash after drink-driving. This isn't a competition. I don't like it when dead people are waved in my face. Let's just agree you should never drink and drive.

He probably says that to avoid the question "why?". I drink, but I often turn drinks down, and then people look at me like I have two heads. Often, giving a short answer such as "I don't drink" deters further probing, and saves me from half an hour of explanation of how drinking is detrimental to my goals.

Ha ha. I used to get this a lot too. Some people look at you very strangely when you decline drinks.

brihead301
01-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Live it up, there's more to life then working out/dieting.

Nosaj
01-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Do cardio before drinking nights, high protein a couple hours before you go out then hard alcohol/calorie free mixers to get drunk. Minimize your losses, but still live it up. Eat a clean meal when you get home, hydrate, etc. Welcome to college, have fun... wear a condom!