PDA

View Full Version : Not another cut or bulk ?

cjones5632
01-21-2010, 03:07 PM
So here's the deal, I have just about always ate at mantenance trying more to recomp than anything. While I do have fat it really doesn't bother me that much. (Just a guess maybe 15-18%). I have been progressing in my lifts over time but have seen no significant body change. (Overtime being about 2 years at this rate). My body weight stays the same plus or minus 10#'s.

So finally to my question. Should I try to go one way or the other for a little while to jump start something? Keep in mind I'm not asking which one I should do, just if I could attack a body recomp in a better way.

Thanks
CJones

ZenMonkey
01-21-2010, 04:19 PM
You sure can. What do your macros look like?

Im gonna move this to the diet section.

cjones5632
01-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Sorry for posting in the wrong place.

My Macros are roughly 40%P 30%F 30%C.
My protein stays pretty close to 40 but my carbs and fat will fluctuate up to 10% at times.
I shoot for 3000-3200 Cals a day, which after looking is a little below my maintenance for my weight of 230.

cjones5632
01-23-2010, 08:12 AM
So what do you guys think?

skinny99
01-23-2010, 08:31 AM
If you want to recomp it takes a long time. Macros look fine. What kind of a lifting protocol are you on? 2 years and very little body change that is surprising,what is your #1 goal? Pure strength,size or are you trying to get ripped? You can lift about the same for all but definitly eat different.

Daniel Roberts
01-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Good answer by skinny99.

Honestly if you haven't seen significant changes in 2yrs then something's off.

If your body isn't changing, then you're not asking it to, which is all a well structured and executed weight program is designed to do. Your diet is what supports that change.

Either you're not training consistently, you're following your own poor program and/or you're not being truthful to yourself about your eating habits. Probably all of the above.

This isn't mean to be a dress down, but an honest evaluation of where you're going wrong is what will serve you best in the long term.

Right now you're doing everything wrong. If you were doing just one thing right you'd be seeing big changes in two years.

Be more honest in what you've been doing and we can then point you in the right direction. If you're not prepared to do that, then you'll be in exactly the same place in another 2yrs time - 4yrs spinning your wheels; not good.

cjones5632
01-23-2010, 08:56 AM
The strength and size were my main goals, but I really just enjoy lifting. It is my 1hr of no job, no wife and kids. (I love all three by the way) I followed a couple of full body routines for the majority of the 2 years and have just recently started a body part split about 3 weeks ago. Its actually one Tom M. posted in another thread.

I say very little body change but I can tell a difference, its just the slow body recomp that you speak of. I don't want to eat less than what I do because I don't want to lose what I have. I have thought about just upping the dreaded cardio from 2 days to maybe a little everyday after workouts.

I don't know just wanted to get some thoughts.

brihead301
01-23-2010, 10:52 AM
I'd say keep eating how u currently are but keep striving to make every single session harder then the previous one. That means either add weight, reps, overall volume, or decrease the rest times. Your body will have no choice but to recomp in order to adapt itself to the new stresses you are placing on it. Y
that's what I do.

cjones5632
01-23-2010, 12:26 PM
I have made some changes over the two years but I feel like i'm back to where I started or close. Jan 1 2009 I was 249 and got down to 215 by mid march. I had some shoulder issues about march and laid off upper body for about a month and did what I could with legs and cardio. Like I said I'm back up to about 230 now and while I look somewhat different and my lifts have increased I don't feel like it is enough.

Like I said earlier I think I will keep closer tabs on my diet and see what happens.
Thanks.

skinny99
01-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Sounds like you need to eat "cleaner" and lift heavier. Be really careful with carbs and carb timing. You have to eat carbs (a lesson I learned) but when and how you eat them can be a big deal. Do some reading in the diet section and you will learn a lot.Try not to take calories in through liquids,except for milk and protein shakes,it is very counterproductive.

If you are following one of Tom's programs you have a solid program. Stick with it for a while and keep adding weight to the bar/DB. The gains you want will come.

Also depending on your schedule of lifting look at these Fat Burning complexes. They are pretty cool and very tough. Watch the reg cardio,it can burn you out quick.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132949

cjones5632
01-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys
Yea skinny I like Tom's program that I started, but like I said I love lifting.
I normally have 1 or 2 shakes a day and the rest is real food. It's not 100% clean and I'm sure that is most of the problem. Really need to focus on this.
Just read the article on complexes and may through those in a couple days a week just to see.

Thanks