PDA

View Full Version : Eating to gain muscle

Sondebeech
01-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Okay I've always heard that you won't get any bigger unless you eat more. Question is though, do I eat more all the time or just eat a lot after my workout? Because if I eat more all the time, then I will just gain fat.

co14on
01-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Eat more all the time. After a workout it is ideal to take in a good amount of protein, though. So you want to gain muscle, but not get fat? You'll have to do a clean bulk, which is done by eating 500 or so calories above your maintenance . It takes longer, and some find it very difficult to track all the food they're eating, or to even find their maintenance caloric intake. This site has a lot of articles that explain that, though. You should definitely check them out.

tom183
01-22-2010, 04:36 AM
Just more in general, it doesn't matter when.

james_w8lifter
01-22-2010, 08:12 PM
You want to eat many smaller meals throughout the day in order to keep your body in an anabolic state. You must get nutrients into your body consistently throughout the day, not just 3 times a day

VikingWarlord
01-22-2010, 09:44 PM
You want to eat many smaller meals throughout the day in order to keep your body in an anabolic state. You must get nutrients into your body consistently throughout the day, not just 3 times a day

Not true at all. Not even close.

Skalami
01-23-2010, 07:37 AM
THeirs a few ways to do this it depends on your level of involvement. You can just eat more then you normally do, (dont go crazy..while "bulking" i actually eat stricter then when im trying to lose fat) while trying to eat healthy things focusing on protein in every meal. OR you can micro manage and count calories figure out how much you burn in a day and then eat 4-600calories over that broken up in your meals throughout the day.

Astreocclu
01-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Not true at all. Not even close.

I would like to hear more about this in detail, i think it could really depend on the person, but i would apperciate if you shared your reasoning with me. Thank you in advance.

VikingWarlord
01-23-2010, 09:15 PM
I would like to hear more about this in detail, i think it could really depend on the person, but i would apperciate if you shared your reasoning with me. Thank you in advance.

The reasoning is that there is zero research to back this statement up. It's physiologically impossible to keep your body in a perpetual anabolic state. The only time that consumption is of utmost importance is post-workout. A little research into nutrient timing is all that's necessary to figure that out.

The only reason to eat frequently is if eating more food less often makes you uncomfortable. That's it.

af92
01-24-2010, 05:50 PM
^ Agreed ^

I've done it both ways, and really I haven't seen much difference in the way my body looks. Just eat more and try to track your food intake so you get the proper ratio for you. It just takes time and a little experimentation.

Scooter
01-31-2010, 07:38 PM
your muscle repairs itself for at least 48 hours after a workout you need to keep supplying them. After a workout is the most important time

Holto
01-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Small meals digest more quickly than large meals. If you're eating large meals you're still getting a constant influx of nutrients into your blood. The supplement industry has sold us a lot of BS regarding speed and timing. If you're hitting your totals with good solid food, it doesn't matter much how often you eat.

Keith
01-31-2010, 08:06 PM
The reasoning is that there is zero research to back this statement up. It's physiologically impossible to keep your body in a perpetual anabolic state. The only time that consumption is of utmost importance is post-workout. A little research into nutrient timing is all that's necessary to figure that out.

The only reason to eat frequently is if eating more food less often makes you uncomfortable. That's it.

Small meals digest more quickly than large meals. If you're eating large meals you're still getting a constant influx of nutrients into your blood. The supplement industry has sold us a lot of BS regarding speed and timing. If you're hitting your totals with good solid food, it doesn't matter much how often you eat.

These.

Luke1081
02-04-2010, 10:30 AM
This helped me!! Thanks

AxeMan
02-04-2010, 03:04 PM
You have to be consistent about your eating if you want to gain muscle