PDA

View Full Version : Foam Roller Question

Andre518
01-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Last week I got my 1st roller I ordered a MR2 - Mobil-izer Roll from Elite it has the hard inner core and it really hurts I mean works! I have been using it for a week and I can feel the deffrence in my IT Bands and Quads but I do not seem to be able to hit my Hamstrings that well. I have never used a roller until I got his one so I have been youtubing videos on how to use it. I was wondering if anyone had a better way to hit the hams with the roller than the way in this video. Also is there anyway to hit my inner thighs now that I the other parts of my legs are loosing up some they seem to be really tight/stiff.

EjmkUfa2Aq0

Ben F Burgess
01-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Hamstrings are quite hard to get enough pressure on to be effective.

Best way i found is to cross the non-working leg over the working knee then try and lean the torso forward over the legs as much as possible. To maintain your balance you'll need to hold on to a sofa or bed and pull your self forward and back with both hands off the floor and at least one of them holding the sofa/bed. You should be able to get more pressure on this way.

Inner thigh is shown at 1:50 in this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0

Ive found having the working leg totally extended and at 90 degrees to the body gets more pressure on than he shows it though.

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but has anyone had much sucess using the foam roller to warm up and/or recover for bench?

If so what bits do you try and hit and how?

Andre518
01-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks a lot Ben I will try this today!

ScottYard
01-22-2010, 11:30 AM
I like to use the rolling stick form the hams and inner thinghs easy to use and I can manually feel how much pressure I am using.

JK1
01-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Its easier to do it if you use blast straps or a bar in a powerrack to hold onto. Thats how I roll my hamstrings. Basically set the bar at about nose level or alittle higher. Set the roller in the rack under the bar. Sit on the roller and then move back and forth. You may have to adjust things a bit depending on your leg length. You can do calves this way too. It will be awkward the first couple of times you use it. Don't worry about that. You'll get the hang of it.

KGM
01-22-2010, 12:22 PM
For hamstrings I have had better success rolling on a pair of softballs, one under each hamstring.
I also use JK1's suggestion of holding onto the rack for rolling(I lift at home).

Have you had a look at Mike Robertson's Self Myofascial Release Techniques (Free E-Book) (http://www.robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/SMR-manual.pdf) <-link is a pdf file.

MarcusWild
01-22-2010, 12:30 PM
I use a softball. I just use one and work each hamstring one at a time. The softball is awesome for hip flexors too.

Brian C
01-22-2010, 06:40 PM
I use a softball. I just use one and work each hamstring one at a time. The softball is awesome for hip flexors too.

This

douglasoh5
01-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Lacrose balls are really good too....a tennis ball is good too if the muscle is really tender for some reason

minotaur70
01-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Sorry to answer a question with a question, but has anyone had much sucess using the foam roller to warm up and/or recover for bench?

If so what bits do you try and hit and how?

Hey Ben- I occasionally use my foam roller to get into the pec shoulder area, front delt and tricep. It all seems to help- especially getting into the pec/shoulder attachment. A tennis ball also seems to work wonders for deeper and more specific work. Good for all that uncle boris benching.

robchris
01-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey Ben- I occasionally use my foam roller to get into the pec shoulder area, front delt and tricep. It all seems to help- especially getting into the pec/shoulder attachment. A tennis ball also seems to work wonders for deeper and more specific work. Good for all that uncle boris benching.

Agreed... I get my wifey to help w/ these!:evillaugh:

cphafner
01-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Lacrose balls are really good too....a tennis ball is good too if the muscle is really tender for some reason

yup. Lax ball really works well on my glutes.

For hammies I have to do them one leg a time to really get them good.

Ron C
01-25-2010, 09:20 AM
we use a piece of 4" PVC pipe as our "foam" roller. That's a whole other ball game, right there!! The Lacrosse ball is murder on the glutes/piriformis. It's also awesome on the upper back/rear delt area, if you put the ball against the wall and lean back on it and roll.

Ron

douglasoh5
01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Ron C Iv used the pvc pipe before...it def is alot more painful....Id say use the foam first them use the pvc....that thing hurts....and ya the lacrose ball is great for the upper back and glute...good for geting lumps out lol. its funny all the painful crap we put outselve through then all the painful things it takes to make ourselves feel better

Ben F Burgess
01-25-2010, 01:39 PM

Damn my sheiko nuthugging reputation goes before me!

Thats cool, and thanks for the reply...what I really wanna know is exactly how you position your body and the roller to hit them bits.

I find the pec/shoulder hard to hit it feels awkward and like my nips are gonna tear off! Cant hit the tri's well either.

minotaur70
01-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I find that a pvc pipe works a little better than a foam roller with the pec/shoulder area, mainly because it so hard to get the leverage to put enough pressure on the area. I lay face down with the pipe in between the pec and the inside of my front delt- I then just roll on the pipe down the pec toward the middle of the chest and then back out over the pec and delt, I find I tend to focus on the area where the pec attachs to the shoulder. I then use a tennis ball or cricket ball to hit pressure points. You can also put a ball in a sock (so its easy to hold onto and position) and lean into a door frame with the ball between the frame and the muscles you want to hit. I'm surprised that I could find any videos on youtube. I might get bagpipe to make one.

Ron C
01-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Ron C Iv used the pvc pipe before...it def is alot more painful....Id say use the foam first them use the pvc....that thing hurts....and ya the lacrose ball is great for the upper back and glute...good for geting lumps out lol. its funny all the painful crap we put outselve through then all the painful things it takes to make ourselves feel better

We go right to the PVC!! I haven't tried to roll my pecs with it. That sounds pretty sadistic. I'll have to give it a go tonight! You are right about the things we do, that's why the normals stare and shake their heads at us. They just can't get their heads around all of it. I'm glad. I don't like the normals.