PDA

View Full Version : Went to the LA Fitness Expo, Saw Scott Mendelson attempt 1081 lbs bench

TallRob
01-23-2010, 03:21 PM
He didnt make it. But it came pretty damn close. Things that stoop out to me was that he didnt have a good balance of the bar. I think that was due to list one of the guys at the end of the bar ever so slightly pushed the bar to one side as he was getting into Scott's hands in the lift position. The other thing is Scotts quads are just freakishly huge and defined. So damn impressive. I so wanted him to lift it Because to other guys were attempting over 900 lbs when i was there. While no one I saw lifted more that 900 lbs. It was still great fun to see such masters perform. It was a fun little expo, Great mixof MMA, Body building, Powerlifting, olympic lifting technique courses and other martial arts. It would have been great to see a Nitrean booth. I also saw Lou ferigno. Cool guy, I saw so many famous UFC guys. Yeah, everyone (but the powerlifters) look bigger on TV. Only Power lifters look bigger in real life! lol

P.S. Watching Scott Mendelson psych himself up was quite interesting to watch. His eyes would roll back and he'd look out and up saying stuff to himself. I watched him waiting for 3 others to lift while at the time he was getting himself into the "zone" so to speak. It was really fascinating to watch. But, i felt so sad after he missed that lift. I dont think it was entirely his fault though. Because of what looked to me a bad hand off. But I wonder if he tried to do that weight just because the first guy attempted 909 lbs and the second guy attempted i thinkj 968lbs and the third 989lbs?. Was he forced into attempting over 1000 lbs? To save face? I guess it would be better to miss a lift at 1,081lbs than 909 lbs if everyone before you were ramping up the weight and you had over 300 people watching. But, I dont know

endymion88
01-23-2010, 05:38 PM
okay....

vdizenzo
01-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I guess it would be better to miss a lift at 1,081lbs than 909 lbs if everyone before you were ramping up the weight and you had over 300 people watching. But, I dont know

That statement is all that's wrong with the sport.

endymion88
01-23-2010, 05:44 PM

seriously i always thought the sport was to continually try to better yourself and compete against yourself not see who can fail against a heavier weight. well i really didn't get the point of this thread myself i kinda feel like it's someone trolling the forum trying to start up a flame fest.

Jonah
01-23-2010, 07:14 PM
He didnt make it. But it came pretty damn close.

Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades

robchris
01-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Scot goes for "all the marbles" a lot... And sometimes comes up short.

He just did 1031lbs. @ 275 back on Dec. 12th though. Maybe he should've waited on this meet a lil' longer...

TallRob
01-23-2010, 08:30 PM

maybe it is. But, it was just what it appeared to me and people around me were talking about how the weights were going up but no one was clearing and maybe it was an ego thing. I was just trying to report what I saw and the temperature of the room (so to speak).

TallRob
01-23-2010, 08:33 PM
seriously i always thought the sport was to continually try to better yourself and compete against yourself not see who can fail against a heavier weight. well i really didn't get the point of this thread myself i kinda feel like it's someone trolling the forum trying to start up a flame fest.
sheesh, the only time im trolling is when im out fishing.

TallRob
01-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Scot goes for "all the marbles" a lot... And sometimes comes up short.

He just did 1031lbs. @ 275 back on Dec. 12th though. Maybe he should've waited on this meet a lil' longer...
damn, i would have loved to see that in person. that is just amazing that a person can bench over a 1,000 lbs

Travis Bell
01-23-2010, 09:17 PM
I watched all the videos of Scots lifts and I was curious, how do you define that as close?

His first, dumped. Second, brought it down and just let the spotters take it, third attempt (all attempts were with 1081) be dumped it again, on his belly.

None of the lifts ever left his chest is all I'm saying.

What just seems odd to me is that Ryan Kennelly holds the all time with a super clean 1075 and he doesn't get near the attention Scot does.

Ryan has also missed 1080 several times, missed 1100 couple of times too and nobody gave him a hug over it like some people like to do for Scot.

Jason Coker nailing that 903 was much much more impressive if you ask me than Scot missing 1081. Just my 2 cents though, everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion and what is impressive is quite subjective to the person.

BoAnderson71
01-23-2010, 09:34 PM
haha, I dont think Mendelson is very popular on this forum.

Tom Mutaffis
01-24-2010, 09:03 AM
I watched all the videos of Scots lifts and I was curious, how do you define that as close?

His first, dumped. Second, brought it down and just let the spotters take it, third attempt (all attempts were with 1081) be dumped it again, on his belly.

What just seems odd to me is that Ryan Kennelly holds the all time with a super clean 1075 and he doesn't get near the attention Scot does.

Ryan has also missed 1080 several times, missed 1100 couple of times too and nobody gave him a hug over it like some people like to do for Scot.

Jason Coker nailing that 903 was much much more impressive if you ask me than Scot missing 1081. Just my 2 cents though, everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion and what is impressive is quite subjective to the person.

I agree, Kennelly deserves a lot more credit.

This video always gets me pumped up and I don't even bench press:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3gyKnoYJVM

More footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A46jPFr1r-k

Priest
01-24-2010, 10:26 AM

I dont know who you are talking to. Scot gets sh%t all the time.
If he makes it or misses. He gets talked bad about.

All you ever hear about Ryan is the positives(which he should be talked about in a positive manner).

I guess if you are one of the three biggest benchers on the planet,
people talk sh%t about them.

Cokers Lift is the best fricken lift that has been even thought of. IMO

Rob Luyando
01-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Ok Scott is a good hearted person. But who ever started this thread is obviously a nut swinger and blind. I watched the video of all three lifts and he never received a press call on any of the lifts. How in the blue sam hell is that close? Yes no doubt it take a freak to handle that kind of weight but that was no where near close. I have to agree with Vincent the all balls out atitude doesn't do anything positive for the sport. The entire meet only had two people get lifts in. I understand that money was on the line but you still have to get in the game. I am kicking my self for not flying out for an easy pay day.

vdizenzo
01-24-2010, 11:13 AM
What was the best heavyweight lift anyway?

rmccray
01-24-2010, 11:24 AM
i wonder why im never invited to that show!!!!

C-Sobrino
01-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Everyone knows winning a meet is meaningless, I mean getting a lift in! PA-LEASE! That's what the warm up room is for! It's World Records or bust!

Travis Bell
01-24-2010, 12:48 PM
I dont know who you are talking to. Scot gets sh%t all the time.
If he makes it or misses. He gets talked bad about.

All you ever hear about Ryan is the positives(which he should be talked about in a positive manner).

I guess if you are one of the three biggest benchers on the planet,
people talk sh%t about them.

Cokers Lift is the best fricken lift that has been even thought of. IMO

I may read different stuff then. I guess I just don't see stuff like that, but I may just have an inaccurate perception is all.

Priest, understand I wasn't saying it towards Scot, more those that tend to follow him, but it was more just an observation. Nobody is questioning that Scot is an upper level bencher.

Either way, it's not a big deal to me, wasn't trying to offend anyone.

Travis Bell
01-24-2010, 12:49 PM

I thought Scot opened it up to anyone who had an 800+ bench? I would imagine you'd have done quite well out there big guy

Rob Luyando
01-24-2010, 03:00 PM

There was an ope invite light weight 600 plus bench and heavy 800 plus bench.

Rob Luyando
01-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Everyone knows winning a meet is meaningless, I mean getting a lift in! PA-LEASE! That's what the warm up room is for! It's World Records or bust!

Taking that attitude to a money meet is foolish. How many world records have you had over the years?

Rob Luyando
01-24-2010, 03:01 PM
What was the best heavyweight lift anyway?

Vincent no one in the heavyweight class got a lift in. It was a bomb show. Sad.

fasteddy
01-24-2010, 03:38 PM
LISTEN, stop the B.S. ! i have been in powerlifting for 30 yrs and i said before Scott claim to fame is he has handled 900 or more than anyone else, and all failed or bad judgeing, yes i seen his attempts many time at meets, the best i seen at meets,and i was there, with over 1,000 was Ryan & Gene. Scott best lift with good lock-out was his raw bench with 700+

KarstenDD
01-24-2010, 07:17 PM

There was an ope invite light weight 600 plus bench and heavy 800 plus bench.

So I guess we're going to LA next year, Tee.

C-Sobrino
01-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Taking that attitude to a money meet is foolish. How many world records have you had over the years?

I was joking...

n.die_beast
01-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Ryan Kennelly has the best combination of brute strength and technique in the bench press arena. He is also very consistent. People talk about how he only lifted on small meets. I don't even know if that is true. I don't really care anyway since 1075 pounds is still 1075 pounds regardless of location.

vdizenzo
01-25-2010, 05:58 AM
Ryan Kennelly has the best combination of brute strength and technique in the bench press arena. He is also very consistent. People talk about how he only lifted on small meets. I don't even know if that is true. I don't really care anyway since 1075 pounds is still 1075 pounds regardless of location.

He's won at the Arnold, in Russia, and in one of the Bench America's, just to name a few.

Ron C
01-25-2010, 09:16 AM
To me the most impressive thing about watching Kennelly bench is his execution. It's the same whether the bar is empty or loaded to 1075. His raw and shirted stroke don't look all that different. I know the execution of raw and shirted are 180 degrees apart, but his set up, elbow position, leg drive, etc. look the same no matter what's on the bar. I think that's one reason he was so consistent from one meet to the next.

Ron

rmccray
01-25-2010, 10:48 AM
I thought Scot opened it up to anyone who had an 800+ bench? I would imagine you'd have done quite well out there big guy

i didnt know it was open i gotta see if vin and rhodes want to go out there next year

rmccray
01-25-2010, 10:50 AM
So I guess we're going to LA next year, Tee.

i hope so big man!!!! :-)

Rob Luyando
01-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Ryan does only home state meets?LOL! I have met up with him in the Ukraine, Vegas, Columbus, Chicago, Iowa, and a few other staes.