PDA

View Full Version : I maxed on conventional deadlifts...

martin
01-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey guys,

After my recent posts about pulling sumo (or switching from conv.) I did some pulls for a local charity event yesterday.

Having only pulled sumo since November I didn't expect too much from it in the way of PB's, but without a weigh-in or squatting first I made a 5kg (11 lbs) PB. So a good day.

Here's a clip:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GW4pb-1-amc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GW4pb-1-amc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I seem to struggle at the top here too - just like I have been on my sumo attempts.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Martin

robchris
01-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Martin, awesome pull bro...

You DL more than I do, but as far as lock-out strength, rack-pulls against bands did wonders for me. Throw in hvy. BB/ DB shrugs and you're golden!

martin
01-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Cheers bro.

I seem to find that lockout stuff I get stronger at but it doesn't transfer over to my full dead :(

Lonas mentioned weak/inactive glutes may be causing instability at the top of my sumo, could this be the issue here?

I have also found my lower back is killing me more than usual since these deads on Sat. Watching the video I can see my back isn't that arched.

Thoughts?

Lones Green
01-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Great PR!

I'd keep the lockout stuff in there, as well as your GHR's and lower back work. If you'll just keep at it for 10 weeks or so, I think you'll see a nice increase.

At lockout, you're using pretty much the same muscles whether you're pulling sumo or conventional.

You could also throw in some speed pulls with some type of bands or chain to hit your lockout and glutes

Either way, a PR is a PR. That means your lockout is coming along

martin
01-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah I'll keep working away at it. Been doing 3 week sumo dead waves on my speed day to improve tech and they are getting better.

The 727lbs pull was a PR and was also on an IPF bar - I compete WPC usually so it may have been easier on the proper deadlift bar :)

Cheers Lonas

SELK
01-25-2010, 03:51 PM
I have the same lockout issue, a large issue at lockout is positioning as well as making sure your glutes are firing. You really want to keep your shoulders behind the bar at the top of the lift and get the ideal leverage against the bar.

Rack pulls never really did anything for my lockout, but I suspect it was because that during a rack pull I could keep good position and leverage against the bar.

hodgman
01-25-2010, 07:50 PM
great pr!

ScottYard
01-26-2010, 06:34 AM
I like Block Pulls for my Lock out work. The bar bends more naturally then a pin pull.

Brian Hopper
01-26-2010, 07:47 AM
Nice PR Martin!!!

douglasoh5
01-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Martin looks strong man...get some powder on the legs....have you ever tried pointing the toes out a little....and another thing are you actually flexing your glutes or just pulling like a mofo? your glutes can be strong as hell but if you ant using them all the extra work is a waste......

martin
01-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Martin looks strong man...get some powder on the legs....have you ever tried pointing the toes out a little....and another thing are you actually flexing your glutes or just pulling like a mofo? your glutes can be strong as hell but if you ant using them all the extra work is a waste......

I think I just pull like a mofo to be honest! My raw work and speed work I feel my glutes but I don't seem to get the same feeling in a suit.

Why the toes out? More hips?

Cheers Brian :)

Oh and Scott I agree pin pulls are way different to pulling off blocks. I usually do block pulls rather than pin pulls.

douglasoh5
01-26-2010, 10:47 AM
to me it helps me get my hips through smoother...its opened up some...when your toes are straight forward your more bunched up...but thats just me...