PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift bar???

bojackson
01-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Hope this isnt too much of a "green" question, but, When you guys compete, is the bar you deadlift with different than the bench and squat bar? I have a bar at home where the weight spins, but the bar does not spin in your hand, and whoah! the carry over is great.Where as the bar at my gym does spin in my hands, hence less weight being pulled. I use a mixed grip. Was just wondering, when i do enter my first competition what to look and be ready for. Thanks guys.

ScottYard
01-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Most feds will use a texas or okie deadlift bar. You can def excpect a carry over. Some claim 15-30 LBS compared to a standard all prupose bar.

str8flexed
01-26-2010, 11:47 PM
never used an Okie, heard they are sick.

do like the texas power bar though

Beverly McD.
01-27-2010, 12:41 PM
We have both the Okie and the Texas deadlift bars. We usually try to find out which one will be used at the next competition, and use the same bar for training.

If your unsure of the differences bo, look at the knurling. A squat bar needs knurling at the center of the bar to help it "bite" so it doesn't slide down the back.
A deadlift bar doesn't need center knurling.

bojackson
01-27-2010, 09:41 PM
thanks bev, never thought about it like that....

Judas
01-28-2010, 04:41 AM
If you lift in the IPF you'll very likely be using an Ivanko bar, and the same bar for all three lifts. Even if its not an Ivanko, it'll still be the same bar throughout the three lifts.

achilles89
01-28-2010, 05:00 AM
Was just wondering, when i do enter my first competition what to look and be ready for. Thanks guys.

You are likely using a standard bar at home but not a powerlifting bar like Eleiko, Ivanko etc. Powerlifting bars are more expensive but they do not bend like the standard bars. As someone else mentioned they are also made to the federations standards. Below is Andrey Tarasenko at the IPF championships in 2007.

http://www.titanstrengthandpower.com/images/home_image_V4.jpg