PDA

View Full Version : Protein suggestion?

lowfi
01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if you have a protein shake suggestion. I just started working out again and was wondering what would be a good supplement. It's been a while and haven't kept up on the market. I used to drink Muscle Milk but have read about some side effects of an ingredient called glycocyamine. Anyways if anyone has some suggestions of a pretty basic, good tasting protein mix, let it rip. Im not looking for any crazy boosting mixes or anything, pretty much just protein.

Thanks!

Sean

skinny99
01-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Nitrean from AtLarge Nutrion is really high quality,mixes well and tastes good. I like strawberry the best.

http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=1&osCsid=9c1a8c21c294c6d288b4db2d7b43967a

lowfi
01-26-2010, 06:21 PM
I heard optimum 100% whey is supposed to be good. I like chocolate, anyone have any suggestions?

Brian999
01-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Definetly Nitrean by atlarge. Nitrean is a blend of 3 proteins which makes it better then the optimum plus chocolate Nitrean tastes better then chocolate flavor from optimum imo.

Off Road
01-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Nitrean...or a big T-Bone steak :)

lowfi
01-26-2010, 09:16 PM
do they only sell it on their site?

lowfi
01-26-2010, 10:24 PM
where can you get the at large nitrean?

Daniel Roberts
01-27-2010, 02:53 AM
Here you go chief -

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

scigars
01-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Here are 2 of my favorites, the first is a little over your calories, but it does have 18g protein.

ATKINS ADVANTAGE CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BAR:

* 18g Protein
* 1g Sugar
* 240 Calories
* Only 2g Net Carbs

ATKINS ADVANTAGE PEANUT FUDGE GRANOLA BAR:

* 16g Protein
* 1g Sugar
* 200 Calories
* Only 2g Net Carbs

Cirino83
01-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if you have a protein shake suggestion. I just started working out again and was wondering what would be a good supplement. It's been a while and haven't kept up on the market. I used to drink Muscle Milk but have read about some side effects of an ingredient called glycocyamine. Anyways if anyone has some suggestions of a pretty basic, good tasting protein mix, let it rip. Im not looking for any crazy boosting mixes or anything, pretty much just protein.

Thanks!

Sean

exactly what side effects are you talking about?

as far as protein, Nitrean is a great blend but if you want just whey you can get a 10 lb bag of ON for 78 bucks.

Mercuryblade
01-27-2010, 10:27 AM
exactly what side effects are you talking about?

as far as protein, Nitrean is a great blend but if you want just whey you can get a 10 lb bag of ON for 78 bucks.

Gylcocyamine (found in Muscle Milk) depletes homocysteine and can put you at risk for some pretty serious side effects.

Thank god that crap (albeit delicious crap) is so expensive that I don't use it.

Cirino83
01-27-2010, 10:45 AM
damn, I needto read up on this. I just got a case of MM at costco for 17 bucks and have been drinking one or two a day....

Mercuryblade
01-27-2010, 10:51 AM
damn, I needto read up on this. I just got a case of MM at costco for 17 bucks and have been drinking one or two a day....

Read up on it a little more and apparently this information has been largely spread by T-Nation (that conveniently happens to have a similar product), so take that as you will. I'd do a little more reading before tossing out your case, I'd also probably not drink a ton of it either though.

Cirino83
01-27-2010, 10:53 AM
yea, I noticed that about t-nation while reading a bit. I'll def do some more research and probably discontinue use after the case is gone if I even finish it. Thanks for the heads up. Here I was thinking it was good for me lol

lowfi
01-27-2010, 11:33 PM
is it weird that you can only get nitrean through the At Large Nutrition website?

Off Road
01-28-2010, 06:19 AM
is it weird that you can only get nitrean through the At Large Nutrition website?
Why is that weird? There are a lot of companies that only sell products on their website.

lowfi
01-28-2010, 10:10 AM
yea i guess that is right. It's hard for me to decide which to get! ON is nice because I can just pick it up at GNC or something while ALN seems nice because of good feedback and a mix of proteins (is this correct). Does ON only consist of fast absorption proteins??

malkore
01-28-2010, 10:32 AM
ON 100% whey is a fast digesting protein.

I wouldn't buy it from GNC...you'll pay more there than buying online and paying shipping.

I too prefer Nitrean. Too many studies out there show a blended whey + casien protein is always the best option, even post-workout.
At Large only sells direct to the customer. No middle man like GNC who jacks up the price so they get more profit.

Astreocclu
01-28-2010, 10:32 AM
yea i guess that is right. It's hard for me to decide which to get! ON is nice because I can just pick it up at GNC or something while ALN seems nice because of good feedback and a mix of proteins (is this correct). Does ON only consist of fast absorption proteins??

Pretty much. honestly i havent tried ON but ive beent ryin stuff from the local grocery store...god its an ordeal...i had only used nitrean before that, and when i got this stuff it was horrible...needed a blender to mix it with water, less protein, tastes way worse...You could just try both and see which you like

skinny99
01-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Why is that weird? There are a lot of companies that only sell products on their website.
Shoot I buy stuff online that I could buy in the store.
I hate shopping,stores,people...

lowfi
01-28-2010, 03:24 PM
do you guys like chocolate flavored nitrean? what's the best flavor?

Off Road
01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
I hate shopping,stores,people...
Right there with ya Skinny.

Off Road
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
That reminds me, I have to order some more Nitrean before I run out. I hate it when I have to fill the gap with that nasty grocery store protien powder :eek: C'mon payday...

SDS
01-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Everyone on here is going to push Nitrean. And I must admit it is really good stuff (I've got about a tub and a half left). When I've got Nitrean, that's what I use. When I run out, I use the ON that I've got till I get more Nitrean. The ON Pro Complex is good stuff as well. Also, the Isopure RTD bottles at GNC are good, but don't pay full retail for them. They usually have 10-12 bottles that are nearing their expiry date and they'll sell those for $1 per bottle.

Astreocclu
01-28-2010, 06:54 PM
do you guys like chocolate flavored nitrean? what's the best flavor?

Im a huge vanilla fan in general so my opinion is skewed. However they both have good applications...like if you do chocolate with peanutbutter and oatmeals its freaking awesome

lowfi
01-28-2010, 08:01 PM
I sorta had the feeling that this forum pushes ALN pretty hard..not saying that it's bad, but maybe a bit biased

Astreocclu
01-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I sorta had the feeling that this forum pushes ALN pretty hard..not saying that it's bad, but maybe a bit biased

The reason it gets pushed here is because a good deal of people that try nitrean feel it is the best protein they have ever had, and this forum obviously has alot of people that have tried it. It is certainly some of he best stuff you can find, i dont know if the best, i havent tried everything obviously, but its definately up there, and anyone that takes it will tell you so

SDS
01-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Nitrean is the only ALN product I'm fond of. Maximus and Opticen I can't use because of one of the ingredients, I've got a box and a half of the protein bars in the freezer that I'll never eat, ETS gives me the ****s, Nitor I can take for 3-4 days before it wreaks havoc on my stomach, Results tastes like pure salt to me....... Their creatine is fine, but it's just like every other CM product out there as far as I can tell. Nitrean is good stuff though.

VDubb
01-29-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm a big fan of the ON Pro Complex..........the issue is finding it at a decent price in order to justify the difference in price between it and ON's 100% whey.....

GNC often has sales that beat a lot of online sites in terms of pricing........I've found that it's more of a timing thing of when you go. Sometimes I'm ok paying $3 more to be able to pick up what I need right away, rather than wait for something to be shipped......

Astreocclu
01-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Nitrean is the only ALN product I'm fond of. Maximus and Opticen I can't use because of one of the ingredients, I've got a box and a half of the protein bars in the freezer that I'll never eat, ETS gives me the ****s, Nitor I can take for 3-4 days before it wreaks havoc on my stomach, Results tastes like pure salt to me....... Their creatine is fine, but it's just like every other CM product out there as far as I can tell. Nitrean is good stuff though.

Why arent you eating them? novus tastes pretty damn good?

Also one doesnt drink results for the taste :)

SDS
01-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Yea, Novus is a fairly good product, and truth be told I'll probably eventually eat them. I'd really rather drink my protein supp's I guess. Every now and again I'll eat a half of a Novus bar instead of a cookie or whatever if I've got a sweets craving. I'm not gonna throw them out.

And yea, you don't drink Results for the taste, but on the other hand, I don't drink it because of the taste.

Focused70
02-02-2010, 09:23 AM

Considering that the owners of ALN make WannaBeBig possible, I'd say that's an equitable tradeoff.

I personally dig vanilla Nitrean. It tastes like liquid ice cream to me. :D