PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience cutting for 2 hr weigh-ins?

Cmanuel
01-26-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm currently training for a USAPL meet on March 20th. I came back from christmas break around 195-196 lbs, and through carb cycling and increased cardio I've managed to get down to a morning bodyweight of 187-189.

I'm about 7.5 weeks out from the meet, and I expect to come close to my goal weight of 181 through my current dieting/cardio regimen. But i was wondering, in case I fall short, what would be a realistic amount of weight to lose for a 2 hour weigh in without sacrificing performance? Does anyone here have experience cutting for said competitions? Any recommendations? I have read a couple of articles and it sounds like the general recommendation is to:

1. increase daily water consumption to ~2gal/day 1 week out from meet
2. Cut out most carbs and focus on items such as sweet potatoes about 5 days out from meet
3. cut out all food/water intake 12 hrs prior to weigh in, along with eating a lemon/drinking coffee with your last glass of water before stopping water intake.

Thanks in advance. Assuming I hit my goal weight of 181, at least this will be here to help others.

minotaur70
01-26-2010, 11:49 PM
All of the things you list will work.
I have done it a fair few times. I hate using the sauna, but that is an option. For me, I prefer not to mess with food intake too much. My normal approach is to increase water intake 3-4 days out and try to cut sodium 2 days out. Then 12 hours out from comp I have my last meal and my last drink- inlcuding a green tea with ginger and lemon. Doing this I normally drop 2-3kg over night. Sauna makes me feel sick. Restricted diet makes me feel weak.
I am currently dropping weight for a meet that is still 2 and half weeks out. I started 2 weeks ago by just increasing water. This alone has knocked 3kg off- I have 3kg to go and I think I can easily lose most of that water loading. Of course, your ability to lose weight through water loading is greatly dependent on your starting weight. A 300lb person carries a lot more fluid than a 200lb person.

Lones Green
01-27-2010, 05:58 AM
I would really push to get it done so you don't have to cut anything. Not eating or drinking the 12 hours before a meet is not a good idea.

deeder
01-27-2010, 06:14 AM
I'm currently training for a USAPL meet on March 20th. I came back from christmas break around 195-196 lbs, and through carb cycling and increased cardio I've managed to get down to a morning bodyweight of 187-189.

I'm about 7.5 weeks out from the meet, and I expect to come close to my goal weight of 181 through my current dieting/cardio regimen. But i was wondering, in case I fall short, what would be a realistic amount of weight to lose for a 2 hour weigh in without sacrificing performance? Does anyone here have experience cutting for said competitions? Any recommendations? I have read a couple of articles and it sounds like the general recommendation is to:

1. increase daily water consumption to ~2gal/day 1 week out from meet
2. Cut out most carbs and focus on items such as sweet potatoes about 5 days out from meet
3. cut out all food/water intake 12 hrs prior to weigh in, along with eating a lemon/drinking coffee with your last glass of water before stopping water intake.

Thanks in advance. Assuming I hit my goal weight of 181, at least this will be here to help others.

#1 is the most important one in your list... This alone will help you drop a bunch of weight. Waterloading for me usually strips off about 8lbs by the time I stop pissing.

I don't change my diet coming in to a meet except for the day before. Depending how heavy I am I like to eat like normal the day before but cut out water. If I am significantly over (+10lbs) the morning the day before the meet I will replace supper with a couple of protein bars (light, but still lots of nutrients)

I would cut out water 24hrs before the meet, wake up, have a couple big glasses of water, then that's it for the day. Weigh yourself throughout the day and gauge further water intake on that. If you're 500grams light at 8pm the night before, have a liter of water.

Honestly, dropping the weight is the easy part. Rehydrating is what makes or breaks it. Lots of guys think if they get a couple liters of gatorade in them they will be good to go. I know from experience that is not the case.

The most I have dropped for a meet is 14lbs in 24 hours (with a 2hr weigh in). I like to eat a 6inch subway sandwich with lots of salt, usually about a gallon of gatorade if I cut a lot of weight and I always mix in extra 'sugar free electrolyte mix'. You can find that at most jogging/running stores. Too much sugar from gatorade will make you sick, if you can get just a bit of carbs and a ton of electrolytes to hold all the water in you're good to go.

This has worked very well for me. The most important thing to remember is that your gear will not fit you quite the same if you drop a lot of weight. That's why it's important to get as much of that weight back on before you lift as possible. I am ALWAYS heavier at the end of the meet than when I started cutting.

Cmanuel
01-27-2010, 06:52 AM
Great information so far from everyone, keep the advice coming. I won't be wearing gear other than a belt so that may not be an issue.

. I've only found an article or two specifically written for the 2-hr weigh in so this thread should be useful.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
01-27-2010, 07:09 AM
You weigh 187-189 right now and your meet is in 7.5 weeks. Your goal bwt is 181 in a 2hr weigh-in. If you try to drop the weight so quickly, you might compete dehydrated. Your body won't be able to perform 100% on the platform. I suggest try loosing the excess body weight now. I compete with usapl and this is what I do. Just eliminate any junk food from your diet and eat more nutrient dense food. Eat a lot of high protein meals (grilled chicken breast, boiled eggs, tuna fish, salmon, turkey, angus beef,etc ) with minimum low glycemic carbs. Also, do some interval running on the treadmill or walk on the treadmill too.

Athos
01-27-2010, 07:10 AM
I think deeder hit a lot of good points. I did a USAPL meet with the two hour weigh-in a few months back, did the standard stuff: water loading, magnesium citrate, food/fluid restriction, sauna, etc. It definitely worked, but with the two hour weigh-in, I just felt drained and didn't do as well as I should have. For me, the lesson learned was that when doing a two hour weigh-in, I want to keep my weight down so that I don't have to cut so much and can actually take some food/water the day before. Also, I think the rehydration part is probably more important than anything, need to get the body back to a good state as quickly as possible. If you weigh in at the earliest possible time (be first in line), between that and the end of the warm-ups, you willl have quite a few hours to get back to a better condition.

Cmanuel
01-27-2010, 07:45 AM
You weigh 187-189 right now and your meet is in 7.5 weeks. Your goal bwt is 181 in a 2hr weigh-in. If you try to drop the weight so quickly, you might compete dehydrated. Your body won't be able to perform 100% on the platform. I suggest try loosing the excess body weight now. I compete with usapl and this is what I do. Just eliminate any junk food from your diet and eat more nutrient dense food. Eat a lot of high protein meals (grilled chicken breast, boiled eggs, tuna fish, salmon, turkey, angus beef,etc ) with minimum low glycemic carbs. Also, do some interval running on the treadmill or walk on the treadmill too.

Oh yes, I definitely intend to give it my all to lose the excess body weight prior to the weigh in. My protein sources consist only of chicken breasts and round cut steaks, and turkey, and carbohydrate sources consist of oatmeal, rice, and sweet potatoes. One thing I need to work on is increasing my daily water consumption.

As far as cardio goes, I'm upping it this week to 2 interval sessions per week (about 40 min each, 5 min. warmup, 20 intervals, and the rest cooldown) and 4 low intensity steady state sessions per week (1 hr each). I am using the recumbant bike though because it:
1. is easier on interval sessions (sprints on treadmill scare me, i might fall off)
2. I can read research papers and textbooks that are important for my graduate degree.

Robert Crawford
01-27-2010, 11:05 AM
I would really push to get it done so you don't have to cut anything. Not eating or drinking the 12 hours before a meet is not a good idea.

I agree with this. If you you cut water to make weight, you will likely mess up your electrolyte balance. As a consequence, you'll lift poorly and you'll feel lousy. Compete at the same weight at which you train.

Robert Crawford

AdamBAG
01-27-2010, 11:13 AM
You ever thought about just going 198? Sounds like your body is headed in that direction anyway.

Cmanuel
01-27-2010, 11:18 AM
You ever thought about just going 198? Sounds like your body is headed in that direction anyway.

no. I gained 9 lbs in 2 weeks due to overeating during my xmas holiday. I was hovering around 185 at one point prior to christmas holiday with a bit of extra body fat. 181 is definitely achievable with some hard work. I've got my diet and cardio in check and i'm about 90% sure I can hit my target weight by March 20th, Im just wanting to make sure all my bases are covered.

Ben F Burgess
01-27-2010, 12:33 PM
I would say what is your BF% like? Unless its very low i wouldnt recommend cutting more than 1-1.5% of your BW for a 2hr weigh in, i would just drop a few lbs of fat between now and the meet.

I used to do it a lot but to be honest i dont think the benefit i get from being maybe 5lbs heavier than my weight limit outweighs the hassle, stress and drained feeling of *****ing around with food or water before meet day.

Ive cut (and regained) 9lbs for a 2hr weigh in and it was one of my worst meets ever. I think trying to mirror a normal training day is the best idea with a 2hr weigh in. That means being more or less on weight the day before really.

BloodandThunder
01-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Last meet I dropped from 236 on Monday to 219.5 on Saturday and was up to 230 2 hours later. Did this without any excess cardio/sauna/hot baths or other extreme things like laxatives or banned substances. I've used Matt Gary's article before with great success and I've never really felt tired or run down the day of the meet. Follow what you put down except watch the amount of fiber and calorically undense foods the day before the meet. Eating small meals throughout the day helps, as I ate roughly 2500 calories each day that week while including the 2 gals of water. Avoid dairy and flour based products for the bloat. I also upped my intake of olive oil and unsalted almonds (lots of calories for little volume). Apples and bananas during the week won't kill you either (as well as the sweet potatoes and a bit of oats).
Drop sodium three days before the meet and up your potassium. Avoid the sauna and excessive cardio and save your energy. You just trained like crazy for months, so relax that week. Also understand how much you lose consistently overnight. If you lose 2 lbs pretty easily, you know being a pound over the night before isn't going to kill you.

What's key to do is understanding how to rehydrate yourself and not overeat after you weighin. Plenty of water as well as sodium rich foods that are easy on the stomach are best. Pedialyte or half diluted gatorade as well as some waxy maize/creatine will help. Avoid excessive sugar and candy until the DL as a pickmeup. Continue getting alot of fluids the next day as well to get back on track. Make sure you're getting lots of sleep meet week and make cutting weight as stress free as possible. Don't spend every second of the day fretting about it.

Hazerboy
01-27-2010, 07:17 PM
i cut weight for wrestling all through high school-sometimes twice a week if we had a lot of meets. For tournaments you had to usually weigh in twice--once friday night, another time saturday morning (you got a pound extra on saturday, and you competed both nights). Everything was a 2 hour weigh in.

Everything people have been saying is good, but I wouldn't recommend cutting more than 5 lbs or so of actual water weight (meaning 5 lbs of dehydrating yourself, not sapping your glycogen stores). You just cannot recover that much water in that short of time. EVEN IF you weigh in EXACTLY two hours before you compete (how many of you are a little bit late to weigh ins?), your body can only actually ABSORB around 2 lbs of water an hour (varies heavily with bodyweight and how you consume it obviously, but this is a good estimate). For those of you who have cut a lot of weight then rehydrated, think about the amount of water you drank, then how much you peed afterwords. This means that if you cut 5 lbs you'll have to drink something like 7+ lbs to get back what you lost.

I wrestled at around 160 my junior year and cut maybe 5 lbs or so for every saturday meet. You could never get in enough water. I would drink all day as much as my stomach could take and still feel dehydrated, so make sure rehydration is your main focus after weigh ins.
Also, the night before, if you're close, don't worry at all about the calorie content or how much fat/protein/carbs are in what you're eating, just worry about the actual WEIGHT of the food. I would sometimes weigh myself with whatever I planned to eat (realize, however, that you will actually weigh a little bit less than that in a few hours). Also remember that you will "float" a pound or so during the night so take that into account (this is where knowing your body comes into play).

Cmanuel
02-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm hitting ~185 in the mornings now, So it looks like im well on track to hit my target weight by March 20th (next meet). I will definitely heed all the advice here

deeder
02-03-2010, 09:43 PM
i cut weight for wrestling all through high school-sometimes twice a week if we had a lot of meets. For tournaments you had to usually weigh in twice--once friday night, another time saturday morning (you got a pound extra on saturday, and you competed both nights). Everything was a 2 hour weigh in.

Everything people have been saying is good, but I wouldn't recommend cutting more than 5 lbs or so of actual water weight (meaning 5 lbs of dehydrating yourself, not sapping your glycogen stores). You just cannot recover that much water in that short of time. EVEN IF you weigh in EXACTLY two hours before you compete (how many of you are a little bit late to weigh ins?), your body can only actually ABSORB around 2 lbs of water an hour (varies heavily with bodyweight and how you consume it obviously, but this is a good estimate). For those of you who have cut a lot of weight then rehydrated, think about the amount of water you drank, then how much you peed afterwords. This means that if you cut 5 lbs you'll have to drink something like 7+ lbs to get back what you lost.

I wrestled at around 160 my junior year and cut maybe 5 lbs or so for every saturday meet. You could never get in enough water. I would drink all day as much as my stomach could take and still feel dehydrated, so make sure rehydration is your main focus after weigh ins.
Also, the night before, if you're close, don't worry at all about the calorie content or how much fat/protein/carbs are in what you're eating, just worry about the actual WEIGHT of the food. I would sometimes weigh myself with whatever I planned to eat (realize, however, that you will actually weigh a little bit less than that in a few hours). Also remember that you will "float" a pound or so during the night so take that into account (this is where knowing your body comes into play).

The most I have cut was 14lbs in 24hrs (all water obviously)... I was 6lbs heavier than when I started by the end of the meet meaning I gained back 20lbs by the end of the meet. I was selected for a random drugtest and I actually had to sit around and drink water until I had to pee.

It's all about the salt. Trust me, if you load enough salt in to your system you will not just flush that water out.

Cmanuel
07-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Bringing this back from the dead...

I have the USAPL nationals this weekend and am cutting weight. I am at about 184-185 in the mornings now. I was wondering what you guys like to do for dieting prior to the weigh ins (2 hr weigh ins preferred). I was going to slowly taper off my carbs as the week progresses, but was going to see if anyone had any recomendations on this? I read the matt gary article many times but it doesnt address diet specifics (like macros). Do you think the water loading and natural diuretic on Friday would be enough as long as I dont eat like a pig and eat pretty clean all week? (oatmeal, chicken, etc)

BloodandThunder
07-13-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm assuming you're lifting at 181. If so, just eat clean and follow your water loading and you'll be fine. Cut water 12 hours before weighins and have some lemons. Macros arent that important just make sure you're getting calories. Almonds and oils are great because they have a high caloric density. A national meet will have lots drawn so you may only have 1 hour to pound some food before weighins; hence it's important not to rely too much on eating alot during this timeframe (nerves, rushing around, etc). You may also want to keep fiber low for the last few days.

Tom Mutaffis
07-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Bringing this back from the dead...

I have the USAPL nationals this weekend and am cutting weight. I am at about 184-185 in the mornings now. I was wondering what you guys like to do for dieting prior to the weigh ins (2 hr weigh ins preferred). I was going to slowly taper off my carbs as the week progresses, but was going to see if anyone had any recomendations on this? I read the matt gary article many times but it doesnt address diet specifics (like macros). Do you think the water loading and natural diuretic on Friday would be enough as long as I dont eat like a pig and eat pretty clean all week? (oatmeal, chicken, etc)

If your meet is this weekend then you are cutting things close in terms of seeing any significant benefit from dietary changes (such as dropping carbs/etc.). What I would do is clean up your diet and stick with calorie dense/clean foods. Drink protein shakes, eat boiled chicken, drink a lot of water, and eat low glycemic carbohydrates. For calories you can have some natural peanut butter.

You can most likely make weight simply by cutting out food/water in the late afternoon / early evening the night before the weigh-in since you only have to lose 3-4 lbs.

For re-hydration and pre-meet food I would recommend drinking pedialite and eating foods such as trail mix, bananas, and protein bars.