PDA

View Full Version : 585 squat

drew
01-27-2010, 07:35 AM
20 lb PR but I think it's a little high. Any comments are welcome.

lb3mEvRQuZ4

achilles89
01-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Looks like a half-squat. May be a bit high but you probably know this.

ehopkins932
01-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Like you said its a bit high. Is that completely raw?

Are you firing guns off in your basement btw? I see the target paper in the background lol.

Athos
01-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Yeah probably need to be a bit deeper, but that aside, a damn strong raw squat.

Beverly McD.
01-27-2010, 08:58 AM
You're moving the weight very well Drew.
You may want to consider flexing your butt and legs just prior to your descent. You're starting the movement with you hips behind you instead of under you.
If you flex the back, butt and quads just before you squat it should make you a lot tighter, help keep your upper body more upright, and depth won't even be an issue for you then.

drew
01-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Like you said its a bit high. Is that completely raw?

Are you firing guns off in your basement btw? I see the target paper in the background lol.

No, not raw. I'm wearing a Metal squat suit with the straps down and a belt.

Not firing weapons in the house, I just like to hang the targets. lol

Yeah probably need to be a bit deeper, but that aside, a damn strong raw squat.

Thanks, but again NOT raw.

You're moving the weight very well Drew.
You may want to consider flexing your butt and legs just prior to your descent. You're starting the movement with you hips behind you instead of under you.
If you flex the back, butt and quads just before you squat it should make you a lot tighter, help keep your upper body more upright, and depth won't even be an issue for you then.

I've always been taught to keep the hips back to start the squat. I will try getting tighter though, thanks.

AdamBAG
01-27-2010, 09:16 AM
It is not a half squat, but it is high. If you stay a bit more upright I think you sink it.

MarcusWild
01-27-2010, 09:40 AM
I agree with staying more upright. Getting depth is about being upright and pushing your knees out. You do those 2 things, and you get there pretty easy.

EternalSearcher
01-27-2010, 09:42 AM
It is not a half squat, but it is high. If you stay a bit more upright I think you sink it.

I agree. I think the bar itself is going far enough down for your knees and hips to get parralel if you were a bit more upright. Good lift though.

AdamBAG
01-27-2010, 10:21 AM
I agree with staying more upright. Getting depth is about being upright and pushing your knees out. You do those 2 things, and you get there pretty easy.

Marcus, this is exactly what worked for me. Also, I moved the bar up to a higher position. On top of the traps instead of the rear delts. That let me stay much more upright.

Detard
01-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Marcus, this is exactly what worked for me. Also, I moved the bar up to a higher position. On top of the traps instead of the rear delts. That let me stay much more upright.

How did you condition your upper traps for huge weights? I feel like high bar position will benefit my squats a ton, but I cant get comfortable with a highbar like I can with a low bar squat. It just doesnt seem to "lock in" anywhere on my back

AdamBAG
01-27-2010, 10:56 AM
How did you condition your upper traps for huge weights? I feel like high bar position will benefit my squats a ton, but I cant get comfortable with a highbar like I can with a low bar squat. It just doesnt seem to "lock in" anywhere on my back

Well, I don't know if I have an answer for that. I think I just did it and enjoyed not being bent over at the bottom of every squat. :)

MarcusWild
01-27-2010, 11:01 AM
You get used to high bar. You almost have to in a multi-ply suit. The straps are so thick that low bar doesn't work very well.

Travis Bell
01-27-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm with Marcus and Adam, you're a bit forward at the bottom.

Also, you might not want to start the squat until you're a little more steady. You looked like your knees were movin all over the place before you started.

Looked like you moved it super confidently though. Nice work

drew
01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm with Marcus and Adam, you're a bit forward at the bottom.

Also, you might not want to start the squat until you're a little more steady. You looked like your knees were movin all over the place before you started.

Looked like you moved it super confidently though. Nice work

Thanks Travis, I'll work on staying mor upright. This was a 20lb PR for me so I probably rushed it a little bit. I don't want to waste any energy after walking it out so I tried to get right into it. I also stumbled a little walking it out.

Beverly McD.
01-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Anything you do on the way down you have to undo on the way up.
Thats why everybody is encouraging you to stay more upright. The forward lean is eating into your energy and strength stores, and isn't helping you to get depth.

SELK
01-27-2010, 01:30 PM

When I pull my shoulder blades together I also shrug my shoulders up and then push my head back and rest the bar on my traps. Once you get the feeling for it, I think its actually alot more comfortable.

Lones Green
01-27-2010, 02:13 PM
When I pull my shoulder blades together I also shrug my shoulders up and then push my head back and rest the bar on my traps. Once you get the feeling for it, I think its actually alot more comfortable.

I agree.

A higher bar placement was recommended to me by Travis, and it's helped me stay upright a ton. I kind of waddle after I get under the bar and it slips into the perfect groove. You can see me do it in this video:

uY4Xb9nd2Fk

Oh and Drew, great song choice, haha. You're good for much more with just a few form changes!

MarcusWild
01-27-2010, 02:57 PM
I set my feet, then I fully stand up so the bar is behind me. Then I wedge myself under it with the bar on my traps. That's helped me a lot with getting the bar in the right spot. Watch how Sam Byrd sets up. It's similar to that.

oXSLp9nv52o

vdizenzo
01-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Good strength Drew. Congrats on the pr. I can't believe you did not have Nate the Great backspotting you.

joey54
01-27-2010, 06:23 PM
I agree with Travis and getting more stable before you start. Maybe unrack, stabilize, step back to set up, and then start. Also, it looked like you dipped a bit and then reset before you started. I didn't really see depth as that big of an issue, and I am pretty critical of that. Nice job moving that weight.

drew
01-28-2010, 06:45 AM
Good strength Drew. Congrats on the pr. I can't believe you did not have Nate the Great backspotting you.

Nate the Great was napping while this went down. He had already had enough of a workout trying to pick up his brother all day.

Beverly McD.
01-28-2010, 06:59 AM
I set my feet, then I fully stand up so the bar is behind me. Then I wedge myself under it with the bar on my traps. That's helped me a lot with getting the bar in the right spot. Watch how Sam Byrd sets up. It's similar to that.

oXSLp9nv52o
Same way the guys in our gym set up.
Thanks for putting up the video Marcus. It's a lot easier to understand when someone can see it instead of relying on a description.

BloodandThunder
01-28-2010, 10:23 AM
+1 for Byrds setup if you're out of a monolift. If you need to walk out, especially if you're using a wippy bar or a ton of weight, make sure to pop the weight up to clear the squat stands, letting the weight settle. After the weight settles, then take your steps. This is pretty common for alot of the big walked out squats you see, it allows for a better setup, rather than just moving back immediately. Also, with the low bar, make sure you hold your air and push out into the belt HARD at the bottom to ensure you can get more upright. If your shoulders allow it, try moving your hands closer on the bar (always helps my upper back to stay more upright). Good stuff though.

mastermonster
01-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Anything you do on the way down you have to undo on the way up.
Thats why everybody is encouraging you to stay more upright. The forward lean is eating into your energy and strength stores, and isn't helping you to get depth.

Bev, that may be the most logical statement I've ever heard about squatting!...Pretty and smart! Mike's a lucky man! Tell him I said hello!

Mike actually made the other most logical squat statement I ever heard: "Squatting it was easy...unsquatting it was tough!" Looking forward to seeing Ya'll in April!

Beverly McD.
01-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Bev, that may be the most logical statement I've ever heard about squatting!...Pretty and smart! Mike's a lucky man! Tell him I said hello!

Mike actually made the other most logical squat statement I ever heard: "Squatting it was easy...unsquatting it was tough!" Looking forward to seeing Ya'll in April!

Thanks Buddy!

I think I probably stole that from him anyway LMAO!!!

SoCoBarbell
02-01-2010, 03:09 PM
If you want to keep your chest upright and get a tighter arch when you get under the bar force your elbows forward under the bar. It will rotate your whole upper body and really lock in your arch. I got this tip from Greg Panora and it has helped me ALOT. In this video you will see me force my elbows forward right before I unrack the same way everytime. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btxBI0sWthU

drew
02-02-2010, 10:13 AM
If you want to keep your chest upright and get a tighter arch when you get under the bar force your elbows forward under the bar. It will rotate your whole upper body and really lock in your arch. I got this tip from Greg Panora and it has helped me ALOT. In this video you will see me force my elbows forward right before I unrack the same way everytime. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btxBI0sWthU

Thanks for the tip. It's something I knew but have probably forgotten about.