PDA

View Full Version : Westside DE ME approach

achilles89
01-27-2010, 08:18 AM
I haven't done the Westside approach. How does DE and ME work given a specific example e.g. bench press of 140 kg 1RM?

ME days working from 5 RM to singles and doubles of 125 kg to 140 kg?

DE 40%-60% 55 kg to 85 kg

Then how do you work in the 6-8 rep range? Does this mean weights from 85 kg to 125 kg are untouched?

Sorry for asking what must be obvious to most of you but I can't find any westside spreadsheets or calculators.

ehopkins932
01-27-2010, 08:42 AM
westside-barbell.com has your answers bro. There are articles on your exact questions.

douglasoh5
01-27-2010, 08:42 AM
normaly on a westside based bench program you would just work up to a max on a bench movement..usually isnt a reg bench...Id say start singles past 70% or what you feel is about that for the exercise....and de bench is a reg bench using 40-60% depending on how much bands or chains you have...if your using straight weight the top end would prolly be the 60% unless your a slow natured lifter then drop it back.....I ant really done this type of benching for a while but i know alot bout it

MarcusWild
01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
You pick one type of max for ME day. You pick an exercise and a number of reps. Some people do use 2RM or 3RM, but most just use 1RM. You rotate the exercise each week by changing your grip, boards, bands, chains, etc. The idea is to pick exercises that focus on where you are weakest.

Travis Bell
01-27-2010, 11:50 AM
I haven't done the Westside approach. How does DE and ME work given a specific example e.g. bench press of 140 kg 1RM?

ME days working from 5 RM to singles and doubles of 125 kg to 140 kg?

DE 40%-60% 55 kg to 85 kg

Then how do you work in the 6-8 rep range? Does this mean weights from 85 kg to 125 kg are untouched?

Sorry for asking what must be obvious to most of you but I can't find any westside spreadsheets or calculators.

For your ME work, you pick 3 or 4 exercises. Say, 2brd with bands, floor press with chains, full range with different bands and cambered bar with straight weight (off 1brd)

You establish a PR on all of those, hitting one exercise a week on your ME bench day, then when you've rotated through all of them, start the cycle over again, hitting 5lb PRs on each

Then re-evaluate your weaknesses, pick 3 or 4 more exercises and rotate through them in similar fashion.

Remember, each band, grip, bar and board combination is it's own individual PR to be kept track of.

For DE work, with 140kg bench you'd be using around 70kg bar weight and then begin adding in bands (start with mini bands or just two sets of chain)

If you don't have access to either, straight weight can be used, but the main focus should be on the speed of the reps, not the amount on the bar.

A lot of people also forget to rotate their grips. Do 3 sets index on the smooth, 3 sets thumbs from the smooth, and 3 sets pinkie on the ring

On both days you'll want to have some tricep, rear delt and back movements done after your main movement (or speed benching on DE day)

Feel free to browse through my log on here as I've trained at Westside for the last 5+ years.

KGM
01-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Travis that is the best summary of WS I have ever read. Thanks for writing it up.

achilles89
01-28-2010, 04:42 AM
^^^^ Yeah thanks Travis, that clears it up for me and I'll have a look in the journal as well.