PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Shoulders Tucked

ehopkins932
01-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Im having trouble keeping my shoulders tucked (I bench raw) when it comes to reps above 5. Does anyway have some tips as how to really dig my shoulder blades into the bench?

On a completely different note....does anyone know of any powerlifting crews in North Jersey?

Thanks

Beverly McD.
01-27-2010, 01:45 PM
It's pretty difficult to stay in good position for more than 5 reps. (5 is pushing it!).
You can try glue. Spray the bench and spray your upper back/lats, then give it a minute or so to get tacky. A good handout is key too.

SEOINAGE
01-27-2010, 06:27 PM
It also helps to have a bench that you can adjust the uprights, the one I'm currently stuck using is too tall, shoulders come out of position to unrack the weight.

slashkills
01-27-2010, 07:32 PM
I agree with both of them

Cyrus Ford
01-27-2010, 07:46 PM
When I set up, I try push my heels into the floor to get more leverage as I lift the bar off the rack. This allows me to keep my blades tucked in throughout each rep with no problems.

achilles89
01-28-2010, 04:41 AM
It also helps to have a bench that you can adjust the uprights, the one I'm currently stuck using is too tall, shoulders come out of position to unrack the weight.

I used to have this same exact problem particularly when benching in a rack and to un-rack the heavy weights meant breaking form. Solution, have spotters unrack the bar for you like a competition bench.

It may also be worthwhile for the OP to find powerlifters to train with as not only can he get a spot/unracking/reracking, but can be given technique pointers.

Travis Bell
01-28-2010, 07:53 AM
A lot of it is just remembering to keep pulling them together at the bottom as hard as you can. Many people get set and just depend on the bench pad to keep them tight throughout the press

David Lewis
01-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Try re-squeezing your back and lats every time before starting the downward motion.

ehopkins932
01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Try re-squeezing your back and lats every time before starting the downward motion.

This is what Ive been working on and it has been helping.

Thanks for all the advice

ScottYard
01-28-2010, 12:48 PM
I 3rd Stickum. helps me trmendously. Especilly with a shirt on.

ehopkins932
01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
I 3rd Stickum. helps me trmendously. Especilly with a shirt on.

Can you use it in meets? Also where can I get it? I dont see it on elitefts.