PDA

View Full Version : Butt on the Bench

dgunnermuro
01-27-2010, 07:05 PM
This is more for the taller lifters (6' and over). Any ideas on keeping the butt down while benching? Where do you set your feet? I get the occaisional red for my butt raising off the bench and I'm out of ideas of how to correct this.

Thanks in advance,
David M.

Hazerboy
01-27-2010, 07:18 PM
I was told by some very experienced lifters to get my feet set as far behind me as possible, though I'm only 5'10.

slashkills
01-27-2010, 07:30 PM
When i press to far over my head my butt tends to come up

thats probably not very helpful

MarcusWild
01-27-2010, 08:09 PM
You want your feet tucked under or out front. If you get them far enough, then your but can't come off the bench. You can try going wider too.

BigTallOx
01-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I struggle with my setup ( I just posted a message about that ). But here's a video from my light/speed sessions that shows my current setup ( I'm 8 inches taller than 6' ). I never raise my butt of the bench, but then again I have next to no leg drive.

6v8-V7wsx5g

AdamBAG
01-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Either pull your feet under you when you arch or if they are out front try widening your feet apart. If you are set up with a good arch it will be much less likely that your butt comes up.

Paulie
01-28-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm about 6'4'' and used to have the same issue. I bench on the balls of my feet and try to drive my heels down during the press vs. through my toes. It was difficult at first and requires some leg strength but I have had no problems lifting my butt. As my leg strength has gone up so has my bench. My feet are not incredibly tucked( just not that flexible any more) but i continually try to improve my arch as well.

If you get to a proper, tight set up at liftoff I think you'll see improved leg drive without the tendency to raise up. Rarely do you see the top benchers
get called on this. And almost all have picture perfect set up.

Good luck!

Travis Bell
01-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Ryan Kennelly usually has his feet more out in front of him and a fairly wider stance.

Paul Key (bencher8) has a similar setup if I'm not mistaken

Both of them have a decent arch and lots of leg drive in their pressing

I like having the wider stance as it makes it just about impossible for me to lift my butt off the bench, but still lets me drive super hard with my legs. Usually after a shirt session my lower back is absolutely shot because I drive so hard.

David Lewis
01-28-2010, 09:17 AM
I suppose it depends on which fed your going to bench in. If your in a fed that allows only flat footed the really wide stance really works well. You can get plenty of leg drive without being able to lift your butt. If you get into your position and push hard your butt should remain in contact with the bench, if it raises move your feet out a little more.

dgunnermuro
01-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Fellas, thanks for the input. I'll try widening out the feet a bit. That's something I haven't done yet.

David M.

ScottYard
01-28-2010, 12:50 PM
I have my 6'4 guy get his feet out as wide as possible until it hurts him. Then by then he is so inflexible that he cant even move his legs let alone lift his butt. This has been the only thing in 5 years that has consistently worked for him.

robchris
01-29-2010, 06:40 PM
dg,
In addition to widening your stance, try turning your toes "inward" a little. I'm around 6'2" and this helped me a lot, while driving thru the heels and keeping my butt down.

theBarzeen
01-30-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm 6'5" .... I used to have a little bit of a problem with this, set up with our feet in front of you and drive your heels down, not your toes...... think of pushing your butt toward your head, not up.......