PDA

View Full Version : Another bench video

BigTallOx
01-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for everybody's comments on my previous bench video. I took another video from a different angle tonight from my light/speed bench session. I'd appreciate any feedback on my setup, technique, etc. My next meet is in April and I'm hoping to bench around 425

6v8-V7wsx5g

douglasoh5
01-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Def need to change feet postions....your not going to beable to get much leg drive there

BigTallOx
01-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Def need to change feet postions....your not going to beable to get much leg drive there

How? I can't go very wide because my hips prevent it.

douglasoh5
01-28-2010, 09:42 AM
do you have bad hips or are they just really tight? and you can just move them straight out some. then push your self up more into an arch...

Beverly McD.
01-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Even on light weight get as tight as you can BTO. Speed bench is all about working form.
Get up on your traps more, shoulder blades squeezed together, and squeezing the bar until you nearly leave finger indentations.
Then, instead of letting the weight take your arms to your chest, squeeze the weight down, getting tighter and tighter as you go. Think of squeezing down against a tight spring.
Once the bar makes contact, explode it off your chest like you're trying to drive the weight through the ceiling.

If you practice this on every rep of every set on light/speed day your heavy bench will greatly improve.

ThomasG
01-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for everybody's comments on my previous bench video. I took another video from a different angle tonight from my light/speed bench session. I'd appreciate any feedback on my setup, technique, etc. My next meet is in April and I'm hoping to bench around 425

So is it official or still just a rumor? Omg I've been feending for a meet so I can compete already!

Rugg
01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Well, first I'd think you should go to the adult gym. Those kids sized benches probably make it hard for you to stretch out.

(thats a joke)

douglasoh5
01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Well, first I'd think you should go to the adult gym. Those kids sized benches probably make it hard for you to stretch out.

(thats a joke)

lol he does make that bench look mighty small

BigTallOx
01-28-2010, 01:30 PM

(thats a joke)

HaHa. Yeah I wish I could raise the bench at meets, I'm sure I'd bench more.

BigTallOx
01-28-2010, 01:31 PM
So is it official or still just a rumor? Omg I've been feending for a meet so I can compete already!

I believe it's pretty official. I think Scotty has posted it on the utah powerlifting forum. It's going to be good having a full meet in Utah.

Here's the link....

http://www.utahpowerlifting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33&sid=c7907900f5febf2a0aeffc7c68613759

BigTallOx
01-28-2010, 01:35 PM
lol he does make that bench look mighty small

Thanks, that's a nice complement, because I Wannabebig! LOL.

mchicia1
01-28-2010, 01:53 PM
LOL...I think its time to switch bookmarks to www.Imalreadybig.com

I think watching that Dave Tate video could help you. My bench is no where near yours (I am on the cusp of 300). However, we do have similar arm length and I really benefited by using a larger arch. I basically start with my body about 10 inches up the bench...basically my head hanging off the bench in mid air. I set my feet up (right now I go on my toes, I can get a bigger arch), then I grab the bar and slowly inch my torso into the normal position making sure not to move my feet at all. I get a really tight arch this way. The last thing I need to figure out is how to leg drive while on your toes.

ThomasG
01-28-2010, 04:08 PM
I believe it's pretty official. I think Scotty has posted it on the utah powerlifting forum. It's going to be good having a full meet in Utah.

Here's the link....

http://www.utahpowerlifting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33&sid=c7907900f5febf2a0aeffc7c68613759

Hell ya! It's at ripped too interesting. I heard Manny trains at ripped now. He used to give me some pointers when I'd see him at golds.

BigTallOx
01-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Hell ya! It's at ripped too interesting. I heard Manny trains at ripped now. He used to give me some pointers when I'd see him at golds.

Yup, I'll probably see Manny tonight.

BigTallOx
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
do you have bad hips or are they just really tight? and you can just move them straight out some. then push your self up more into an arch...

I have (somewhat) bad hips ( that are also tight ) due to years of my hips not being square because of my scoliosis. I ignore it for the most part. My lower back used to ache all the time because of it, until I started powerlifting. Now that's gone ( actually it's been gone for quite some time ), and my hips bother me less than they did, so I continue to ignore it.

I have been working on hip flexibility and I'm making some small improvements, but I'm never going to have flexibly hips, at least not side to side.

robchris
01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Even on light weight get as tight as you can BTO. Speed bench is all about working form.
Get up on your traps more, shoulder blades squeezed together, and squeezing the bar until you nearly leave finger indentations.
Then, instead of letting the weight take your arms to your chest, squeeze the weight down, getting tighter and tighter as you go. Think of squeezing down against a tight spring.
Once the bar makes contact, explode it off your chest like you're trying to drive the weight through the ceiling.

If you practice this on every rep of every set on light/speed day your heavy bench will greatly improve.

Agreed... Good work Ox! Put chalk on your upper-back and push back
& into the bench... Work that arch bro.

Less ROM = more weight!

mchicia1
01-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Agreed... Good work Ox! Put chalk on your upper-back and push back
& into the bench... Work that arch bro.

Less ROM = more weight!

Yes, chalk on upper back helps a ton.