PDA

View Full Version : Needing some help here (gaining)

workout4life
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Alright I'm about 5' 7" tall, 17 yrs old, and I weigh 129 pounds.
Looking back to the past year and everything, I have gained much more muscle and weight. But I'm still not satisfied.

I've taken everything from meal replacements, to protein bars, creadrive from GNC, glutamine, protein shakes, multivitamins...Drinking a lot of milk and water, and also eating alot of grilled chicken..

I never gain weight..maybe a pound a month IF that..
Everyone says it's because I'm still growing. And I have been getting a little taller I've noticed. But;
Any help here on gaining weight for short skinny-somewhat muscular guys?

Off Road
01-28-2010, 04:35 PM
That doesn't make sense. If you're getting taller, you should be getting a lot heavier if you are lifting and eating. Obviously you are not eating enough.

ZenMonkey
01-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Eat more. Read the stickies.

Bodyguard
01-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Eat more. Read the stickies.

Read the stickies while eating!

tom183
01-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Eat more. What routine are you currently doing?

james_w8lifter
01-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Steak, ground beef, rice, bread, peanut butter, shakes, fish, vegetables, cheese, milk, chicken, turkey, ham, shrimp, crab, eggs, bacon, almonds, fruits, pasta, cottage cheese, etc, etc.......

There are plenty of choices. Stock up on these and eat big, even when your not hungry.

workout4life
01-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Lol I've tried everything you just said, but i guess I'll base my meals mostly off those and give it some more time and patience.
I'm looking to get between 140-150.
I'm at 130.5 now.

I have a pretty legit workout schedule.

Off Road
01-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Lol I've tried everything you just said, but i guess I'll base my meals mostly off those and give it some more time and patience..
Eat more of those things.

Everybody says that :evillaugh:

workout4life
01-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Lol well atleast I didnt say I have an amazing workout schedule. lol. I'm not cocky, just lookin for some help or I wouldn't be on here.

Off Road
01-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Well, I'd start with tracking your eating habits. Keep upping your calories until you start gaining. It's a simple matter of eating more and gaining at an acceptable rate.

workout4life
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah for about the past two weeks, I've been drinking alot of chocolate milk, vitamin water, regular water, taking vitamins..eating a lot but good high protein stuff. And I've gained about a pound and a half. So now it's working. Just I've lost it in the past..I think cuz of getting on the treadmill and bike.. Should I gain, than cut?

It's just the fact when I start losin my abs I feel like sh**, so i hop on the treadmill, do some cardio and ab workouts. And that's prolly where I go wrong..

Sean S
01-29-2010, 04:04 PM
How much fat can you be carrying at 130? If you really lose weight that fast/easily, it shouldn't be difficult to lose a little fat after you've bulked up enough. If you're going to freak out every time you lose a little ab definition at all you're never going to get any bigger.

Off Road
01-29-2010, 05:14 PM

Concentration curls.
Hammers.
Reverse.
Preacher.
standing barbell curls.
chin ups.
cable bicep curl (close grip & wide grip.)
Incline curls.

I think I see the problem...

TXslapshot
01-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Concentration curls.
Hammers.
Reverse.
Preacher.
standing barbell curls.
chin ups.
cable bicep curl (close grip & wide grip.)
Incline curls.

LEGIT! with a workout like that you shouldnt have any lagging body parts buddy!

Raleighwood
01-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Squat heavy 3xper week. Drink 1 gallon of whole milk everyday with your normal diet.

In other words, follow Starting Strength and GOMAD.

TXslapshot
01-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Squat heavy 3xper week. Drink 1 gallon of whole milk everyday with your normal diet.

In other words, follow Starting Strength and GOMAD.

^^Legit Advice^^ just a reminder, focus on form first and foremost.

workout4life
01-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah man, I appreciate it guys, I cant complain tho. Since I've worked out the past year and a half I've prolly gained a good 20 pounds and alot of people say I've gotten more muscle and they can tell. But I just can't really tell or don't think it's enough..like most people lol.

But yeah I'll definitely quit worrying about the abs and gain than cut later. Good advice and points. Thank you all

J.C.
01-30-2010, 07:21 AM
I highly recommend spending some time reading all the posts over at www.70sbig.com.

After following it for a while, I think it is quite simply the best resource on the net for encouraging skinny kids to get bigger and stronger.

Like everyone else says, you need a better routine and lots and lots of food. Food is extremely important. Stop buying supplements and start buying whole milk and beef burgers. I'll say it again because it will help set you on the right track. Read the posts on www.70sbig.com and you'll see what is required to gain strength and weight.