PDA

View Full Version : Best 5/3/1 style workout for MMA?

Reala
01-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Has anyone put together a 5/3/1 style workout that they have been able to complete whilst training MMA 3-5 days a week with good results and relative recovery? :)

slashkills
01-30-2010, 07:58 AM
I know Brihead is doing it currently and has a log here you might want to check out. Piercey also is training mma but isnt following 5/3/1. I trained mma and followed westside then a periodization approach with decent results and good recovery.

I recomend a westside approach over 5/3/1 becuase it developes explosiveness and maximal strength. Its a 4 day routine and two of the days are maximal effort/heavy days and 2are dynamic effort/light days which are beneficial for recovery if set up right.

Some good things to help recovery in general are foam rolling, stretching, contrast showers, and making sure you are getting plenty of carbs and protein.

Reala
01-30-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm on my forth week of WS4SB, finding it really, really good :) You can check my blog if you like slashkills and give me any advice? ;P

I was told WS4SB should only be used 'off season' and as I actively fight maybe I should look into 5/3/1, 5x5 or SS type stuff. What do you reckon?

slashkills
01-30-2010, 08:48 AM
I made some notes in your log

ThomasG
02-01-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm on my forth week of WS4SB, finding it really, really good :) You can check my blog if you like slashkills and give me any advice? ;P

I was told WS4SB should only be used 'off season' and as I actively fight maybe I should look into 5/3/1, 5x5 or SS type stuff. What do you reckon?

WS4SB has an in season template as well.

pricedtosell
01-03-2011, 03:32 AM
I trained BJJ/submission wrestling and muay thai for 4 years at least 4-5x a week. During that time, I tried a lot of different lifting routines and if you're keeping your cardio up, which I assume you are, you won't be able to lift more than 2-3x a week at the most while still recovering and getting stronger. I found that I got the best results when I was lifting twice a week. When I lifted 3-4 times a week, I wasn't able to recover and if I was, my cardio and BJJ/muay thai training suffered. I legitimately ended up overtraining a handful of times and had to take a week or two off each time before I could get back to training.

It's hard enough to lift 4x a week, recover and get stronger even if all you're doing is cardio and trying to keep your weight down, but when you bring that much MMA training into the mix, it's near impossible. I eventually ended up at two cardio sessions a week (one was circuit training with weights, the other was hill sprints), two days of lifting a week (one was squats, bench and power cleans, the other was deadlifts, military press and bent over rows) and then 5-6 sessions a week of either BJJ or muay thai training. I also did a lot of sessions of jumping rope or light jogging and then stretching to help recover from workouts and improve flexibility, which helped my BJJ a ton.

My advice is that if you want to go with 5/3/1, go with the two days a week split. Bench and squat one day, deadlift and military press the other day and then do a lot of chin ups/rows or any pulling exercise for assistance. I like the westside template a lot and I'm following it now but I definetely would not be if I was actively training MMA. Those ME sessions take a lot out of you and I don't know how you'd have anything left to train MMA. You've got to think that lifting should supplement your fight training, not take away from it. If I was going to follow a westside approach, I'd probably go with 2x a week and do DE sets of squats one day before a ME squat, deadlift or good morning and then DE bench the other day before a ME bench and then the same assistance work you would normally do.

Writing this has made me want to get back to an MMA gym and start training again, but I love lifting 4-5x a week. Decisions.

krazylarry
03-21-2011, 08:42 PM
I do it, it works. The thing to keep in mind is you are lifting for strength and not to get bigger, so the main lift is what matters, not the accessory stuff. So if you are feeling run down do less or no accessory stuff, but make sure you get the main lift in. As you get in better shape you will be able to train, and do the full 5/3/1, even on the same day.