PDA

View Full Version : cutting macros same as bulking macros?

nzk
01-30-2010, 12:49 PM
the idea is to be in a calorie defecit, but is it better to change macros too or keep them the same just reduce the total calories?

is it better to do cardio AND be in a calorie defecit or just cut calories and keep the normal weightlifting routine?

VikingWarlord
01-31-2010, 11:34 AM
You can't keep macros the same and reduce calories. Macronutrients are where your calories come from. You don't need as much of anything on a cut as you do on a bulk, so reduce everything overall. Figure out your total intake needs, keep protein intake up (1-1.25g/lb LBM is the usual recommendation) and then fill in the rest however you want. Some people respond to low fat, some to low carb. I prefer the low carb option but everyone's different. Keep it simple until simple stops working.

As for the second question, if you don't have a whole lot of fat to lose, you can boost your cardio some but stick to intervals and complexes and things of that nature over long steady state sessions. If you do have a lot of fat to lose, you should do some cardio just to keep everything working, but lifting heavy in a deficit will get things started. Again, keep it simple until simple stops working.

Lifting routine may stay the same although you should be prepared to reduce volume if you're in a big deficit. You might not be able to make it through the same sessions you did when you had extra calories. Again, everyone's different. Listen to your body.

nzk
01-31-2010, 09:24 PM
great info, thanks!

twm
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
just wanted to throw in that i have always done low carb while dieting before...

I am doing low fat now with moderate carb and I am having MUCH faster results. I'm pretty suprised as to how much more effective it has been for me in terms of fat reduction, time elapsed and increased strength. outside variables include 30 minutes daily of cardio whereas I relied completely on diet before.

good luck w/ the diet

nzk
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks, low fat is much easier to do imagine. Will give it a shot.