PDA

View Full Version : Question

aregd202
01-30-2010, 03:47 PM
So i found out how many calories im supposed to take in every day, what my question is is this. If i eat under the calorie requirement(i need 1200 a day) and kind of unhealthy (still getting most requirements fruits, veggies, protein, etc...) will you still lose belly fat? I know dieting is big for losing the belly to show the abs but im wonderin if im eating wrong sort of.

ehopkins932
01-30-2010, 07:40 PM
If you eat under 1200 a day your metabolism will shut down and your body will go into survival mode...I dont know where you got that figure from. Start at 2000, lift 3 times per week, walking on the treadmill at 3.0 for 30-45 minutes and come back to me in 4 weeks. Limit the carbs to breakfast and post work-out. Other meals are pro/fat.

Trust me bro, 1200 cals a day is like 2 meals.

Mercuryblade
01-30-2010, 07:45 PM
If you eat under 1200 a day your metabolism will shut down and your body will go into survival mode...I dont know where you got that figure from. Start at 2000, lift 3 times per week, walking on the treadmill at 3.0 for 30-45 minutes and come back to me in 4 weeks. Limit the carbs to breakfast and post work-out. Other meals are pro/fat.

I don't know where you got this idea from. Everybody's caloric needs are going to be different because they are dependent on a variety of factors.
If the OP is working a very sedentary job and doesn't have a lot of lean body mass, than it is very possible that a 1200 calorie a day diet will be necessary to lose weight.

aregd202
01-30-2010, 08:46 PM

umm I believe every person has a different body and weight/mass

tom183
01-31-2010, 12:06 AM
So i found out how many calories im supposed to take in every day, what my question is is this. If i eat under the calorie requirement(i need 1200 a day)

How did you find out? Formulas and online calculators should be used as a guide only.

and kind of unhealthy (still getting most requirements fruits, veggies, protein, etc...) will you still lose belly fat? I know dieting is big for losing the belly to show the abs but im wonderin if im eating wrong sort of.

Define 'kind of unhealthy'. Or better yet, post a typical days det for us to critique.

Daniel Roberts
01-31-2010, 04:13 AM
So i found out how many calories im supposed to take in every day, what my question is is this. If i eat under the calorie requirement(i need 1200 a day) and kind of unhealthy (still getting most requirements fruits, veggies, protein, etc...) will you still lose belly fat? I know dieting is big for losing the belly to show the abs but im wonderin if im eating wrong sort of.

Short answer is yes.

One thing I will say is that your goal of adding about 50% to your 1RM isn't going to happen with this approach. You seem more focused on your goal of a 'six pack'.

At your weight and not lean, I would focus more on chasing the larger weight. My experience of novice lifters who actually apply themselves to getting stronger, is that they invariably end up with lower bodyfat, even though that was not their goal. At that point, then we worry about the next steps.

You'll be chasing your tail for a long time with your approach - focus on losing fat from belly, start getting weaker, eat more, get fatter, panic, eat less, get weaker, eat more and so on.

VikingWarlord
01-31-2010, 11:26 AM

Wow. Just wow. I can't think of anything else to say that won't get me at least a warning.

OP: I don't know how you figured out your requirements but I find it really hard to believe that there are many people that can really maintain on 1200kCal unless you're a prepubescent girl.

I'd have to say Daniel is right. If you're small enough that your requirements are genuinely that low and you're as chubby as you say you are, you'll be better served by just eating clean and lifting your ass off. A recomp strategy will be slower but more beneficial in the long run.