PDA

View Full Version : westside question

Jason198
01-30-2010, 08:41 PM
On D.E. Day I see in Travis's log he does another lift like floor presses for a few sets after his speed work, should these be easy sets or push you some what? would it hurt to do some more flat bench for sets of 5-7 after speed bench some times?

the next question is do you rotate speed squats and speed dl or do you do them both on speed day ????

Thanks

Lones Green
01-30-2010, 08:48 PM
You should squat and pull both on your dynamic lower day.

The 2nd movement you see Travis doing after his speed work serves a few purposes, I've been implementing something similar. You can add in the extra stuff for:

1. increase your work capacity
2. work on your weaknesses
3. hypertrophy

Travis does a lot of tricep stuff like floor presses to help with his shirted bench

You can do a 2nd movement a bit heavier for 5-10 reps or so after your main max effort movement as well. I like doing that a lot

slashkills
01-30-2010, 09:20 PM
i like throwing in a second heavy-ish movement

MarcusWild
01-30-2010, 09:28 PM
I agree with Lones. My training goes much better when I have the second barbell movement in there. I do sets of 3-5 reps. If I feel beat up, then I just keep the weight the same for 3 sets of 5. If I feel good, then I work up to heavier sets. I keep track of my 3RM and 5RM for those movements too. I rotate the exercises and try to break the rep PR.

NickAus
01-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Yep, heavy 5s after max effort and 5-10s after speed for me.

Jason198
01-31-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys

robchris
01-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Yep, heavy 5s after max effort and 5-10s after speed for me.

Agreed... Thats pretty much what I do as well!

Travis Bell
01-31-2010, 12:05 PM
On D.E. Day I see in Travis's log he does another lift like floor presses for a few sets after his speed work, should these be easy sets or push you some what? would it hurt to do some more flat bench for sets of 5-7 after speed bench some times?

the next question is do you rotate speed squats and speed dl or do you do them both on speed day ????

Thanks

My sets are not intended to be heavy, that's why I keep the reps relatively high. One thing Louie has pounded into me over and over is that stuff should be kept light on DE day.

What Louie usually recommends is two rep out sets, either with dumbbells or the bar with a weight that you can get 15 or 20 reps with, following speed bench.

On ME day I will usually do one heavy rep out set with the main movement and then some heavy triceps movemements.

As far as the speed squats and deads, most of the guys do them both on the same day, but again, the weights have to be kept light.