PDA

View Full Version : Just happened to get a raw bench PR yesterday

BigTallOx
01-31-2010, 09:28 PM
I haven't tested my max raw bench since a Feb 2009 where I benched raw in a meet. But yesterday warming up before putting my shirt on, I did 335 to the chest pretty easily, which is now my raw PR. ( I was switching to boards with anything over 315 while warming up, but I've starting doing almost everything raw to the chest, at least for a while ). I think I could get 350 raw. Maybe benching 405 raw is a foreseeable ( but probably long-er term ) goal for me. Here's a video, I know it's nothing major, but to me it kind of represents real proof that my hard work is paying off, so I'm proud of it.

nJ-ZbasCx94

SEOINAGE
01-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Actually looked pretty easy for you, I had a nice strong day like that not too long ago. Nice lift man.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
02-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Congratulations on the bench press pr!

Brian Hopper
02-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Congrats on your new PR!!!

skinny99
02-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Actually looked pretty easy for you, I had a nice strong day like that not too long ago. Nice lift man.

I was thinking the same thing! You can do more. Gettin strong man. PR's are awesome.

AdamBAG
02-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Congrats on the bench PR! Always feels good to have training pay off.

I don't think your speed work is carrying over to your max effort work. You lower the bar painfully slow. I am no expert on this, but if you watch Travis, Vincent, Paul, and Rob bench they bring the bar down pretty quick, but under control.

I used to lower the bar super slow. Once I really started concentrating on speed work, and then actually getting the confidence to lower heavier weights faster, I went from 325 to 365. Speed made all the difference.

I'm not trying to criticize, but just point out something that might help you, that helped me with the same problem.

BigTallOx
02-01-2010, 09:26 AM
I was thinking the same thing! You can do more. Gettin strong man. PR's are awesome.

Thanks. Yeah, I know I can do more. This was the weight that just happened to be on the bar when we were warming up. I wasn't really trying to beat my raw best. Up until a few weeks ago I would have done this with boards, so I never really knew my raw max. The next weight we put on was 385 and is over my raw max so I put my shirt on. Anyway, I think my raw max is around 350. I may test it at some point, but right now I'm focusing on benching over 425 (in my loose katana) at my next meet.

SEOINAGE
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM

I don't think your speed work is carrying over to your max effort work. You lower the bar painfully slow. I am no expert on this, but if you watch Travis, Vincent, Paul, and Rob bench they bring the bar down pretty quick, but under control.

I used to lower the bar super slow. Once I really started concentrating on speed work, and then actually getting the confidence to lower heavier weights faster, I went from 325 to 365. Speed made all the difference.

I'm not trying to criticize, but just point out something that might help you, that helped me with the same problem.

Lowering it really slow can wear you out, better to get the bar down and then fire it up. good point to bring up.

BigTallOx
02-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Lowering it really slow can wear you out, better to get the bar down and then fire it up. good point to bring up.

Yeah, its something I'm working on. I know it makes no sense but when I try to bring the bar down faster, I can't press it. It's like there's a spot ( that's roughly where my elbows get to 90 degrees ) where I have to go slow through that spot or I loose my strength completely.

BigTallOx
02-01-2010, 11:57 AM

I agree completely. My speed work is NOT carrying over to my max effort work. I do my speed work at 60% of my max, but with that weight, I don't have the same "spot" that I refer to in my other post, the spot where I have to go slow through or I loose my strength. When I'm pressing 60% of my max, it feels like the spot is gone and I don't have to go slow. I have found that doing reverse bands for max effort has helped slightly. It's something that I'm frustrated with and don't really know what to do about it. My training buddies say "just lower the bar faster" but when I do I can't press it, so IMHO there has to be another answer.

AdamBAG
02-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I agree completely. My speed work is NOT carrying over to my max effort work. I do my speed work at 60% of my max, but with that weight, I don't have the same "spot" that I refer to in my other post, the spot where I have to go slow through or I loose my strength. When I'm pressing 60% of my max, it feels like the spot is gone and I don't have to go slow. I have found that doing reverse bands for max effort has helped slightly. It's something that I'm frustrated with and don't really know what to do about it. My training buddies say "just lower the bar faster" but when I do I can't press it, so IMHO there has to be another answer.

I think it has to do with your setup and not loading the bar into your lats. When you take the weight out and get set it looks to me like all the weight is on your arms/shoulders and not settled into your lats.

I am by far not a great bencher, but that's just what I'm seeing. I'm not as tall as you, but I've had similar issues.

It seems like 90% of bench issues have to do with bad setup and not staying tight.

Beverly McD.
02-01-2010, 01:25 PM
BTO, remember fast doesn't mean loose. If you're just dropping the bar down without any real control you'll end up out of position to begin the pressing part of the movement.
So, fast but with full control of the muscle groups.

BigTallOx
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
BTO, remember fast doesn't mean loose. If you're just dropping the bar down without any real control you'll end up out of position to begin the pressing part of the movement.
So, fast but with full control of the muscle groups.

Yeah, I think that's my problem. It seems that when I try to do "fast" the first thing that happens is my upper back tightness goes away, even when I'm trying to make sure it doesn't happen, it still does.

I know this is probably bad to say, but part of it is that I was just viewing this as my last "warmup" set before shirting up. That is, if I was really testing my raw max, I would have raised the bar up and took the lift quite a bit more seriously, ie making sure everything is as close to perfect as I can. I guess that's another problem I need to work on, I should have viewed this as an easy opportunity ( ie because it's not all that heavy ) to make everything right ( or as close to right as I can be ).

Beverly McD.
02-01-2010, 01:57 PM
You're making progress all the time BTO. That's what it's all about.:)

ThomasG
02-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Nice progression. What's so beautiful about weight training is you reap what you sow. How are you warming up before you bench?

robchris
02-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Ox,

Nice work bro! Feels good to see hard work payin' off...

As far as the spot youre refering to, sound like what I call my "sticking point". Everybody has one and that where the boards, bands & chains come in to play. Mine was always around the 3-4 bd. height so I trained that level alot and it really helped getting thru that particular spot.
Also, 60% of your 1rm seems kinda' high for speed work... I only use 45-50% at the most.

Travis, Chris & some other bench guys might want to chime in on this, but make sure you're moving that bar fast on DE day. You should be completing those reps at about 1-sec. per rep. If not, I would drop down a little on your speed day and see if that helps w/ your explosiveness... Just my .02

Good luck
RC

jtteg_x
02-02-2010, 10:23 PM
congrats on the PR. you got some long arms too!

HICK
02-02-2010, 10:33 PM
U should adjust the bar height on the bench, that way when u and your hand off guy unracks the bar you re not having to do a half press then position the bar where u begin to drop the weight down. All that extra movement could probably keep u from staying tight through out ur lift.

HICK
02-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Oh and congrats on your new pr !!!

BigTallOx
02-03-2010, 09:25 AM
U should adjust the bar height on the bench, that way when u and your hand off guy unracks the bar you re not having to do a half press then position the bar where u begin to drop the weight down. All that extra movement could probably keep u from staying tight through out ur lift.

Yeah, I do raise the bar, but not usually when we're warming up. I always do when shirted though.

BigTallOx
02-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Ox,
Nice work bro! Feels good to see hard work payin' off...

Thanks. It does feel good to know I'm getting stronger.

As far as the spot youre refering to, sound like what I call my "sticking point".

I always thought sticking points referred to only the concentric part of the lift. My "sticking point" is on the eccentric part.

Also, 60% of your 1rm seems kinda' high for speed work... I only use 45-50% at the most.

OK, I'll try lowering the weight on speed day.