PDA

View Full Version : Best Protein Bar on the Market?

TrainHardOrDie
02-01-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm currently in a cutting phase and doing really well on my diet. In the off season, I use protein bars occasionally when it's tough to get a meal in otherwise.

I never use them when cutting though, as I know that they really aren't the best as they are all loaded with carbs, glycerin and sugar alcohols. I need to keep carbs pretty low to get cut and I feel much better on low carbs anyway.

I've got a new work schedule and it's really tough to eat sometimes so I really need to be able to use a bar here and there. Shakes are out.

I do keep nuts in my pocket but I really need a protein source.

What do you guys think is the best bar on the market to use while getting lean?

I know none of them are perfect - I'm just looking to make the best out of a bad situation.

Off Road
02-01-2010, 07:44 AM
There are some recipes here for making your own protien bars. You might want to check those out by using the search function. At least that way you'll know exactly what you are putting in them in them and you can match it to your macro needs.

Mercuryblade
02-01-2010, 09:05 AM
If you are concerned about carbs, why are you trying to avoid sugar alcohols?

TrainHardOrDie
02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Off Road: A good idea which I actually forgot about. It definitely lets you hit the macros you want although the time I did try it a few years ago, they all tasted like CRAP.

TrainHardOrDie
02-01-2010, 09:59 AM
The reason I don't want sugar alcohols is because they can't replenish muscle glycogen and their bad effects on the GI tract.

cant hit bombz
02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
If i remember right the Novus bars only have 3g carbs, 36 g protein.

Not a big fan of the cookie dough flavor, but the mint chocolate are nom nom nom:drooling:

Mercuryblade
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
If i remember right the Novus bars only have 3g carbs, 36 g protein.

Not a big fan of the cookie dough flavor, but the mint chocolate are nom nom nom:drooling:

Novus have sugar alcohols in them though, which the OP says he wants to stay away from.

twm
02-01-2010, 01:12 PM
novus bars are awesome

sugar alcohol is bad on the GI tract/intestines? since when? can anybody verify that?

Mercuryblade
02-01-2010, 01:30 PM
sugar alcohol is bad on the GI tract/intestines? since when? can anybody verify that?

Some people get discomfort from them. This is apparently from fermenation in the GI tract. I have not heard anything to suggest that they are dangerous however, and fiber causes gas for the same reason.

I doubt a Novus bar a day is going to do much, but if you are consuming other foods sweetened with sugar alcohols it may be something to consider avoiding.

ScottYard
02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Go with the Novus bar. The bar only has 3 net carbs that go towards your daily carb intake.

TrainHardOrDie
02-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I will check out the Novus Bars.

Haven't ever tried them. Thanks for tip!

TrainHardOrDie
02-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Checked them out and they do in fact have 28g of sugar alcohols and 31 g of carbs. I'm also trying to stay away from soy protein and corn syrups.

I did find Quest bars in my searching and wondered if anyone has tried those.

According to the website, they only use isolate forms of protein which is great and the ingredients are really "clean".

www.questproteinbar.com

It's so "clean" that it almost seems fishy and I've never seen them in stores.

If you've tried them, please let me know what you thought.

They do allow you to buy single bars though, so I'll get a couple and see how they taste.

Beaker
02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
i think Supreme Protein bars are really tasty. but they also have sugar alcohols in them. and are also 3g net carbs.

i havent tried a novus bar yet.

Mercuryblade
02-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm also trying to stay away from soy protein and corn syrups.

If their primary source of protein is casein or whey, I wouldn't worry too much about a gram or two of soy protein.
As for corn syrup, HFCS is what you want to avoid. But regular corn syrup is perfectly acceptable (it's just glucose).

BTW, this link may give you a starting point: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/barspage.htm