PDA

View Full Version : Lower back Rehab...Without reverse hyper

brauny96
02-01-2010, 08:19 AM
How can I rehab my lower back without a reverse hyper? Any suggestions at all would be great.

AdamBAG
02-01-2010, 08:37 AM
What's the diagnosis? I've got a torn annulus (outside of the disk) at L5-S1 I've been dealing with since July.

Are you seeing an M.D. and/or D.C.?

brauny96
02-01-2010, 08:46 AM
oooops, I Guess I made "rehab" to vague.

I just have a very sore lower back, Ive had one now for 4-5 weeks, and I dont know how to "rehab" it so its not sore for the meet. Usually when my back is sore, My deadlift max will go down 30-40 pounds.

barbell01
02-01-2010, 08:49 AM
when is the meet and what does your routine look like?

tnathletics2b
02-01-2010, 08:49 AM

I just have a very sore lower back, Ive had one now for 4-5 weeks, and I dont know how to "rehab" it so its not sore for the meet. Usually when my back is sore, My deadlift max will go down 30-40 pounds.

I don't know when your meet is, but I have never had greater success in rehabbing overly sore muscles than just taking a break for a little while. It is superhard to do, but usually after a couple of weeks I feel great.

blownby
02-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Some basic stuff i like to do is sit on a bench w/ barbell on upper back & like a dime on each side. go down low like a Good Morning, keep the arch in lower back, as far as you can go & then just flex lower back & bring chest up....do like 15-20 3 sets ever few days. You should feel it in that middle lower back.

Also you can do this by standing like a stiff legg w/ dumbell & do the same movement w/ lower back.

Trunk twist w/ 15# weighted bar.

You may too be forgeting ABS.....weak abs can lead to back issues!

brauny96
02-01-2010, 09:08 AM
The meet is in a month, So I dont have much time to take off.

I do need to do more Abs.

AdamBAG
02-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Hey, then you are in better shape than I am!!!!! :)

In my opinion you need to back off right now. Skip a couple of deadlift workouts and just replace them with back raises, light good mornings, and ab work. Also foam roll and stretch your back out every day. More than once a day if you can. Make sure to stretch your hamstrings and hip flexors well too.

If you think your deadlift is going down then pushing through isn't going to help you. Take a couple of weeks and regroup and just keep training your squat and bench. The pull will be there. I always had my best luck pulling my last heavy deadlift 3 to 4 weeks out anyway.

Beverly McD.
02-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Ice it everyday. Kick back in your favorite chair with ice on your back at least once a day. More often is better.

Pete22
02-01-2010, 09:31 AM
High rep 45-degree backraises and foam rolling glutes, hips and IT bands have helped my back pain in the past.

barbell01
02-01-2010, 09:35 AM
if you are overtraining your lower back then adding more excersices will not be good..... stick to chest supported rows and add more abbs maybe, but idk, nobody here knows what your routine looks like..................

Sensei
02-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I don't know how you injured your back, but the first link is about why people hurt their back squatting, and the second link is what you might try if you've already hurt yourself. I don't know if anything below will be helpful or not, but give them a look-see.
http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/06/squats-lower-back-pain.html
http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/07/squats-lower-back-pain-part-ii.html

...nice avatar btw.

SEOINAGE
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
For me if i don't work my lower back often enough it gets really sore, it helps to do hyperextensions and lighter good mornings and get a lot of blood flow to the area and keep it strong and used to working.

brauny96
02-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Well right now I am on 5/3/1. It doenst hurt doing deadlifts, and I havent pulled a single in months, so It doesnt seem to be that.

I might just do my max next week, then do my opener, then just take time off from deadlifting.

Lones Green
02-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Hmm if your back is hurting NOW, I wouldn't take a max.

My advice to you would be to make some phone calls and see where the closest reverse hyper is.

Travis Bell is from Michigan, I'm sure he'd help you out

AdamBAG
02-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Well right now I am on 5/3/1. It doenst hurt doing deadlifts, and I havent pulled a single in months, so It doesnt seem to be that.

I might just do my max next week, then do my opener, then just take time off from deadlifting.

If your back feels good enough to take a max and then take an opener then I don't think your back really hurts.

If it does really hurt then taking a max is not a smart idea. Personally, I would just play it safe and open light at the meet. Save the pulls for the platform.

Guido
02-02-2010, 08:45 AM

I just have a very sore lower back, Ive had one now for 4-5 weeks, and I dont know how to "rehab" it so its not sore for the meet. Usually when my back is sore, My deadlift max will go down 30-40 pounds.So if it's just a muscle injury, try the Starr rehab program. It's worked wonders for a lot of people who've tried it. The key is to follow it strictly, i.e., you MUST ice, you must do everything it calls for at the time it calls for it and you must not deviate from it. Do it for a couple weeks and you should be good as new.

Read more about it here:
http://www.startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=7351

brauny96
02-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Im going to a gym in my town to use their reverse hyper, and I think Ill just open light.

Its weird because it doesnt hurt while Im doing the exercises. It only hurts the day after, till I use it again. Its most likely becuase Im using a belt for it... Ill start icing and rehabing it.

jtteg_x
02-02-2010, 05:14 PM
go see a doctor.

i found out that the nerves between my spine in the lower section was damaged by being compressed (a lot of heavy deads/squats). i been taking ibuprofen and prehab stretches. inversion table (hanging upside down) has helped it as well.

train smart. goodluck at the meet