PDA

View Full Version : Back into it.

Kipper
02-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi guys. :hello:

Iīve started working out after years of getting weak and soft and eating crap, but long ago I used to train a lot, and post here too. Iīm not telling my old name, I donīt think many will still be here and remember anyway, but lets say under a few names I had 30k + posts on here and on Elitefitnessforums. I donīt have time for that crap anymore, Iīll stick to my journal and maybe a specific question now and then. Just donīt think I donīt know about the theory of stuff because I donīt have dazzling strength accomplishments or post a lot now. I know my stuff.

I used to work out alot, although I never reached too impressive a physique. That was years ago. I mostly ate too much and trained too low-volume, high intensity, I believe. :tuttut:

Iīm male, 23 yrs old, 194 cm tall and weigh 104 kg as of today, 02.02.2010.
Iīll follow the metric system, as Iīm tired of continually dividing everything by 0.453,592,37 for the Americans. 194 cm is between 6"4 and 6"5 and 104 kg is 229,28 lbs. I like digits, itīs a mildly autistic thing :)

Unlike the last time I spent a couple years working out, I want to measure my progress more by araerobic performance than strength. I will lift till exhaustion though, starting each workout with either Squats, Bench Presses or Rows/Pullups/Deadlifts, then working the involved muscles down with smaller, more isolated exercises. Iīm doing sets of 15 repetitions, because I was never quite happy about my progress before I stopped and I realized I never tried longer sets. I also like to focus more on my technique and form than the weight Iīm lifting. :ninja:

As of now I am somewhat overweight, I want to lose about 10 kg, and improve aerobic cardio endurance in the mean time and minimalize muscle loss. Perhaps muscle gain is even possible, but it will be secondary. :moon:

I will not follow a diet as per-se, although I have a learnt tendency towards big breakfasts and protein-rich foods (stuck, though I gave up lifting) and will stay away from anything thatīs deepfried or has chocolate and I take a multivitamin. No pre- or post workout shakes, I used to fatten myself before and after trainings as an excuse to binge on high-caloric shakes, I used to eat as a response to DOMS too. Iīll be more down to earth now and not let it all consume me so much. :tuttut:

Kipper
02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
I had two training sessions so far. I train every two days now.
First time, I ran 12 km/h for 13 minutes and then trained my back with barbell rows and several different kinds of assisted pullups and I did bicep curls.

Second time, I ran 12 km/h for 15 minutes and then trained legs, doing weighted sled squats, quadricep extensions and calf presses. Next time Iīll squat, donīt throw poop at me. Just getting back into it. I donīt write down my weight or sets, because Iīm just getting back into the form again. Iīll start that again soon, but only for the first, "core" exercises of every workout, the big compound freeweight ones.

Those 15 minutes had me sweating and breathing hard, but I could have pushed a little further. I want to build up gradually, I donīt want to get an antipathy for cardio because I kill myself every time. Iīll aim for 17 mins thursday.

I like running at 12 km/h. Itīs a nice firm jogging rhythm for me and my legs or whatever. Once I keep it up so long I find it costs too much time, ill start doing 12,5 km/h or whatever.

Kipper
02-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Sore as hell.

Kipper
02-04-2010, 01:04 AM
My girlfriend is on the bandwagon! Training with her this evening. Shes actually very fit, she's an advanced and fanatical dancer. But shes picking up modelling and thinks a little bit of muscle mass would look better.

Kipper
02-04-2010, 03:31 PM
18 mins 12 km\h

Kipper
02-05-2010, 03:28 AM
bench press 50 kg x15x15x10

military dumbbell press 12,5 kg x15x15x12

Next time I do chest/shoulders/tris, I will make (assisted) dipping the main focus

My girlfriend was a bit disappointing- I was looking forward to showing her how to do REAL exercises like squats, presses, etc freeweight stuff but she insisted on staying in the girly corner with the cables and the rubber little dumbbells... Despite my elaborate explanation on the wrongs of this beforehand. Her loss, Iīll train alone again.

I bet I could have done 20 minutes @ 12 km/h if I had pushed myself and I didnīt get distracted. Next time Iīll do 20 mins.

I think Iīll increase the speed once I make 30 mins :indian:

Kipper
02-05-2010, 05:34 AM
My new gym is cheap and its open 24 hrs. It also allows you to take your own drinks and it has a squat rack. I donīt have high standards- these are pros, to me.

The only ****ty thing is, they dont have plates heavier than 15 kg. Which is fine, those are narrow and Ill never be so strong that it wont be enough- but their diameter is a little small- for deadlifts. They have a "women" corner for freeweights with no rack, just one bench, without bars, and just dumbbells up to 10 kg :rolleyes:

Kipper
02-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Im sore, the normal DOMS, which I like, but also a kind of irritation/swelling of the tendons around my left elbow. Like I strained it or something. Today I pull, so itīs not that relevant, but pushing would be hard. I also feel my legs a lot, running what is to me a relatively intense run every two days. But ill keep doing it. Today I try to break 20 mins 12 km/h.

Stretching is key.

Kipper
02-07-2010, 02:08 AM
20 mins 12 kmh and there was room there

40kg bent over rows x15
50 kg x10x10

Kipper
02-07-2010, 04:45 AM
These arent fully recent, but they show me pretty much the way I look now.

Kessy
02-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Not too bad, looks good already! Dont stress yourself.

Kipper
02-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Who are you?

LadyGrip
02-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Read through your journal- looks like we're kind of doing the same thing or at least I think we are. My focus is to do higher reps at a lower weight until I get my body fine tuned and then I'll get to the heavier weights with lower reps in order to build up some muscle. That's too bad about it not working out to work-out with your girlfriend. I would never work-out with my husband ...never... there are a bunch of them that workout in their own private gym and there's alot of sweating, swearing and name calling going on during their workouts!! I think I'll stick to the girly gym for now. I am looking forward to getting to a workout involving all free weights but for now I'm okay with 1/2 free and 1/2 girly cable machines. Your physique looks as though it'll be easy to whip into shape. Good luck with your training!

Kessy
02-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Kerstin from Munich. Im a professional dancer, but I had to give it up, so now Im kind of in an orientation phase..

Kipper
02-08-2010, 03:38 AM
Kessy- I just thought it was a little odd, you join WBB and the first post you make is in my journal, saying I should calm down, and youīre female and from germany- How many germans and how many women do we have anyway and whyīd you land in my journal- I thought you were my GF, incognito influencing me not to get too fanatical about training :o. Now you say youīre also a dancer- like her- I mean seriously :o

Kipper
02-08-2010, 03:54 AM
Read through your journal- looks like we're kind of doing the same thing or at least I think we are. My focus is to do higher reps at a lower weight until I get my body fine tuned and then I'll get to the heavier weights with lower reps in order to build up some muscle. That's too bad about it not working out to work-out with your girlfriend. I would never work-out with my husband ...never... there are a bunch of them that workout in their own private gym and there's alot of sweating, swearing and name calling going on during their workouts!! I think I'll stick to the girly gym for now. I am looking forward to getting to a workout involving all free weights but for now I'm okay with 1/2 free and 1/2 girly cable machines. Your physique looks as though it'll be easy to whip into shape. Good luck with your training!

Cool to hear your hubby trains too. Itīs nice to share that kind of thing, I dont think a relationship between an athlete and a couch potatoe works, most the time. My GF is anything but, though, like I said she does a lot of dance.

I do the higher rep stuff because

A) I never tried it before
B) You donīt need a spotter as much
C) I need to get the form right again and build up slowly,-I STILL got mad sore even in the tendons last week

I read your journal. Youīre tougher than me even while "taking it easy" Your dips and pullups are way out of my reach. Although I believe bodyweight exercises are generally harder for tall people. I can hardly imagine a 6"5 guy easily doing 10 deep slow pullups... Heīd be better at deadlifting :evillaugh:

I want to lose some bf% first. I think I may even be a bit chubbier right now than in those pics. I dont think of it as cutting or bulking- I made the common mistake of overinterpreting those words and losing and gaining weight too fast before. an lbs a week is way fast for me now, I donīt want to lose or gain any faster than that.

I also donīt take such long breaks between sets anymore. I used to feel I needed a few full minutes between sets and Iīd walk around the gym like a dog in a cage lol and waste my time. Now I wait maybe one minute, shake my muscles a little and go on. I donīt even particularly care if thatīs optimal, I just donīt want to spend too much of my life looking at idiots in the weight room or watching the ceiling fan spin.

Goes to show how the exposure to this "community" changes or distorts ones view, I consider myself to be skinny- soft-built, but pretty skinny, and I have a BMI of like 28, which makes me "overweight". I know BMI can be completely disregarded if you have significantly more muscle mass than is typical, but I donīt, at this moment, so it kind of bothers me.

The way Iīm upping the cardio now, I also never tried before. I used to try and build up on cardio, but I did it until absolute failure, until Iīd see stars and basically hyperventilate and almost fall off the treadmill.

First of all in my experience, thatīs not the way to go with cardio. It seems to work for squatting-Next week youīll be stronger for killing yourself. But in Cardio once you have to push yourself hard, youīre sweating and breathing heavily and your muscles burn just a little, you can stop and next time that particular point will lie further. I wonder where this will take me- Tonight I hope to do that same run for 22 minutes.

Second of all, it made me despise cardio and in the end, not do it all anymore. Breaking a pain barrier with a freeweight gives you short pain and then a sense of satisfaction. In cardio, itīs like 5 full minutes of pain, then still more pain once you quit it and you canīt lift a halfway decent weight afterwards.

Iīd love to do elliptical too, but I feel the range of motion is too small, it doesnīt feel natural with these machines, itīs like Iīm taking baby steps.

LadyGrip
02-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Cool to hear your hubby trains too. Itīs nice to share that kind of thing, I dont think a relationship between an athlete and a couch potatoe works, most the time. My GF is anything but, though, like I said she does a lot of dance.

I do the higher rep stuff because

A) I never tried it before
B) You donīt need a spotter as much
C) I need to get the form right again and build up slowly,-I STILL got mad sore even in the tendons last week

I read your journal. Youīre tougher than me even while "taking it easy" Your dips and pullups are way out of my reach. Although I believe bodyweight exercises are generally harder for tall people. I can hardly imagine a 6"5 guy easily doing 10 deep slow pullups... Heīd be better at deadlifting :evillaugh:

I want to lose some bf% first. I think I may even be a bit chubbier right now than in those pics. I dont think of it as cutting or bulking- I made the common mistake of overinterpreting those words and losing and gaining weight too fast before. an lbs a week is way fast for me now, I donīt want to lose or gain any faster than that.

I also donīt take such long breaks between sets anymore. I used to feel I needed a few full minutes between sets and Iīd walk around the gym like a dog in a cage lol and waste my time. Now I wait maybe one minute, shake my muscles a little and go on. I donīt even particularly care if thatīs optimal, I just donīt want to spend too much of my life looking at idiots in the weight room or watching the ceiling fan spin.

Goes to show how the exposure to this "community" changes or distorts ones view, I consider myself to be skinny- soft-built, but pretty skinny, and I have a BMI of like 28, which makes me "overweight". I know BMI can be completely disregarded if you have significantly more muscle mass than is typical, but I donīt, at this moment, so it kind of bothers me.

The way Iīm upping the cardio now, I also never tried before. I used to try and build up on cardio, but I did it until absolute failure, until Iīd see stars and basically hyperventilate and almost fall off the treadmill.

First of all in my experience, thatīs not the way to go with cardio. It seems to work for squatting-Next week youīll be stronger for killing yourself. But in Cardio once you have to push yourself hard, youīre sweating and breathing heavily and your muscles burn just a little, you can stop and next time that particular point will lie further. I wonder where this will take me- Tonight I hope to do that same run for 22 minutes.

Second of all, it made me despise cardio and in the end, not do it all anymore. Breaking a pain barrier with a freeweight gives you short pain and then a sense of satisfaction. In cardio, itīs like 5 full minutes of pain, then still more pain once you quit it and you canīt lift a halfway decent weight afterwards.

Iīd love to do elliptical too, but I feel the range of motion is too small, it doesnīt feel natural with these machines, itīs like Iīm taking baby steps.

Yeah, it’s nice having a husband who keeps in shape. He’s actually a former Pro Strongman and is still currently involved in the world of strength as a spokesperson for GNC as well as having one of the best grips in the world. One of his brothers still competes in pro-strongman and his other brother is a pro-powerlifter (world champ). I’m not bragging, I’m just very proud of the accomplishments in the family.

I don’t take breaks between sets. I do three groups of circuits w/ 3 to 4 machines/weights in each circuit. I do not break at all during the circuit – I only break for about 2 minutes between the groups. For cardio- I could do cardio all day ..I love cardio. I usually do the elliptical for 30 minutes and I’m not in the least winded from it ..I only do it for 30 minutes because that’s about all the time I have for it so I go hard for 30 minutes.

Anyway, good luck getting back into the game and have fun with it!

Kipper
02-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Ok now stop stressing how much you could kick my ass ;-)

Why do you stress your and his grip so much? What do you for grip- Does he do like Farmers Walks and that kind of thing?

LadyGrip
02-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Ok now stop stressing how much you could kick my ass ;-)

Why do you stress your and his grip so much? What do you for grip- Does he do like Farmers Walks and that kind of thing?

He's big into the grip thing which is how I got into it as well which is why I have an interest in it ..which is why I discuss it.:) His workouts are at jackalsgym.com (Wade) for his lifting training and grip training. My grip training is much less- I just train with the hand grippers (Captain of Crush Sport, Trainer and #1).

Kipper
02-08-2010, 09:02 AM
I looked him up and yeah, I guess he really does have a strong grip ;-)

I never really "trained" grip really, just in training back and deadlifting of course, but grip was never my weakest link so it never got too challenged.
I wear 11,5 size gloves, perhaps that gives me good potential. But itīs that important to me- I donīt look to compete in strongman or anything I just want to feel strong and fit and look it.

Kipper
02-09-2010, 02:59 AM
22 mins 12 km/h ya i keep hitting those goals :)

then squats but my legs were already burned out

20 kg warmup
40 kg 15 reps
50 kgs 8 reps

then just cramps. and I went home.

Kipper
02-11-2010, 04:28 AM
24 minutes 12 km/h

that really killed me. There was more in there, but I really broke down once I stopped

then assisted pullups, with both grip kinds

barbell rows

I noticed I still weigh 104 kg. I eat too much. I will change this

Kipper
02-12-2010, 08:33 AM
I just ate way too much sushi. But it was nice :-)

Kipper
02-14-2010, 04:10 PM
I ran 12 kmh for 25 minutes then I got dizzy. thats a border for me.

Then chest/shoulders/tris

bench press
40 kg 10 reps
50 10 reps
60 kg 7 reps to failure- did those in the squat rack.

Kipper
02-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Tonight is leg day- But I realized I could never squat properly after running one of these 25+ minute 12 km/h runs. :omg:

I want to stick to doing hard (to me) cardio up front though. Maybe I should use the elliptical, so it will be a little less demanding on my legs. I wonīt be able to compare my performance- But I can do this every time I train legs from now on and still try and get improvement that way. :)

50 kg squats for 8 reps! I will definitely have to make a big improvement there. Thatīs nothing. :moon:

Kipper
02-17-2010, 06:08 AM
OK never mind the elliptical- I hated it, I warmed up for like 5 minutes, Then went to squatting and then showing my gf how to do Dumbbell rows.

I squatted
20 kgs 10 reps
50 kgs 13 reps
60 kgs 8 reps (I guess thatīs progress... though at a pretty pathetic level)
60 kgs 2 reps CRAMP (why? I warmed up, I stretched, I used proper form?)

Seated Quadriceps leg extensions-
55 x10
60x10
65x10

Calf raises- Dunno how much, 3 sets to failure

still weighing 104 kgs... damn pizza. I eat crap at times not even because I crave it but because I dont have anything else there. I dont have a proper kitchen where I live. Theres just masses of beer where I live- Itīs a student house. I sometimes drink non-alcoholic wheat beer as carbs or just because I dont have enough water. Iīm going to buy a lot of healthy food and water today and buy ahead so this wonīt happen for a long time.

I hope I showed dumbbell rows correctly. She was kinda sore today, I hope its the good kind of sore.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html

yup looks the same :-)

Kipper
02-20-2010, 06:12 AM
26 minutes run 12 km/h (7,5 MPH)
Improvement once again! Treadmill told me I burned 550 kcalories! damn.
Itīs funny how you have these points where it gets hard. around 10 minutes, then it gets easier, then around 15 minutes, then easier, then it gets real hard around 22 minutes or so and I push through. :indian: The last minute or so I just feel it tingle in my skull and I feel like Iīm dizzy or going to lose balance and so I just stop in time.
I still want to wait till I hit 30 minutes to go to 12,5 or 13 KM/h.

I bet theres all sorts of fancy programs on how you can supposedly best build up stamina by high intensity intervall training or whatnot, but Iīm going to keep it this simple at least till I hit a plateau.

then assisted pullups.... Damn itīs lousy I cant even nearly do these without the machine weight assist :tuttut:- Anyway
Parallel wide grip, long r.o.m.
-180 x10 slow
-175 x10 slow
-170x10 slow
-165x10 slow
-160x10 quick

Just calibrating... but I was finished after those. Iīll start with -160 next time. :ninja:

Dumbbell rows
12,5 x10 x2
15x10x2
17,5x10x2
20x10x2

Iīll start with 20s next time and build higher.

Cable pulldowns
70x10
70x10

Then stretching, then I left. Could/should have done shrugs and curls. But it was 2 in the morning, and I was broken down from the running and thats ok.

Kipper
02-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Guess nobody really cares about my pursuits until I knock out a halfway decent BP, dead or squat or post a picture of an attractive woman ;-) Thatīs ok. Iīll manage one or the other sooner or later :-)

Kipper
02-22-2010, 01:26 AM
Ran 28 minutes 12 km/h yesterday :-)

Then Chest/arms, I improved from last week-
Barbell bench press
60 x12
65 x5.... weak
65x2
50x10

I was still panting and pooring with sweat from the run. Maybe I can break 30 mins next time :-) But first leg day. Gonna squat 60 kg so often ill never have to take that little weight again.

Kipper
02-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Squats
20 kg x13
60 kg x10 (2 more)
60x5
50x13

no rea cramp.I worry about my form.

weighted incline sled squat thing
30 kg 15
60 kg 15
90 kg 15
120 kg 15

leg extensions
60x10
70 x10
80 x 10

calf raises 2 sets of 12 for every leg

erector hyperextensions thingy

weighed 103 kg.

I talked to a pretty big dude who was doing deadlifts. The gym is pretty well-equipped, only the heaviest plates are 15 kg- 33 lbs. This is ok, its not like im lifting so much that this would affect how much I can load- but the diameter is smaller than of a 20 kg plate, so deadlifts are pretty "deep".

He didnīt seem to worried about this, he said he had noticed, but heīd rather do them like this than not at all. Maybe Iīll do them next week, instead of squats.

Kipper
02-27-2010, 04:35 AM
I only ran for 13 mins. My nose was plugged, I didnīt have a spray and I was wearing the wrong shoes which hurt. ****ty but its still a workout, was still sweating.

Assisted pullups
Parallel wide grip, long r.o.m.
-160 x10
-155 x10
-150 x10
-145 x10
-140 x 7

Much better than last week. But last week I just didnīt know where to start. Next time first set at -140

Dumbbell rows
20 x11x2
22,5 x6x2

Iīll start with 22,5s next time and build higher.

Cable pulldowns
4 sets who cares how much

Then stretching, then I left. [/QUOTE]

Kipper
04-02-2010, 06:19 AM
mean time-

25 kg dumbbell rows 10 reps
assisted pullups -135 kg x 10 reps

Running again today.

Kipper
06-21-2010, 12:46 AM
I got out of it again. but im back...

25 kg dumbbell rows for 10... same

15 mins running 12 km/h

108 kgs bodyweight....

Kipper
07-05-2010, 03:29 AM
Was in a hotel.

106 kgs

21 mins running 12 km/h :-) BAREFOOT because I forgot my sneakers. Had some left, too, but I told the treadmill 21 beforehand so it stopped. More next time.

Little dumbbell arm and chest training- but the damn hotel only had dumbs up to 10 kgs...