PDA

View Full Version : Some advice needed please

KingKongvsHulk
02-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey guys

I’ve been registered on here for a while now and I cannot stress enough, how useful this place has been…

I have benefited from training, got some good gains, but not as I would like them to be. Other commitments like University and family have always been my main priority…

Things are looking better now, I feel that I can 100% dedicate myself this time and hit the nail on the head! And so, would really appreciate some input and help from you guys :)

Here goes :confused: :

I’ve decided to go with a bulk, starting with 2,200 calories. On my workout days my calorie intake is around the 2,700 mark and non workout days 2,200. I know this is low for a bulk but I’m going to increase the intake every couple of weeks by 300…

What I want to know, is if I'm following the right track? Also it would be helpful if someone can recommend something for my ‘beer belly’ or do I just have to put up with it until I start cutting?

Don't want to make this a lenghty post so more questions will follow later...

Was going to put a few pics up, but it doesn't allow me...

tom183
02-02-2010, 03:39 PM
What I want to know, is if I'm following the right track?

Maybe. What routine are you doing? What kind of foods are you eating and what's your macro breakdown for those 2200 calories?

Also it would be helpful if someone can recommend something for my ‘beer belly’ or do I just have to put up with it until I start cutting?

It's not going to go away if you are gaining weight.

KingKongvsHulk
02-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Maybe. What routine are you doing? What kind of foods are you eating and what's your macro breakdown for those 2200 calories?

It's not going to go away if you are gaining weight.

Ok bear with me...

I am working out 3 days in a week Mon, Wed and Fri. To be honest, you've just asked me a difficult question on the routine thing lol...

Mon = Arms, bis and tris... and Upper body (Shoulders).

On Wed I will do mostly the back, dips, seated Chest push (Sorry I don't know the exact term but I look at the muscles worked, which are highlighted in red on the machines, if that makes any sense... :confused:) and often followed with an an extreme temptation to do the arms and tris again but will do them with slighlty lower weights just to get that pump feeling lol (I won't do them if they are still stiff from monday...).

On Fri, I tend to do a mix of Monday and Wednesday workouts and again followed by a pump with the Triceps extension machine.

I know I've not really got anything for lower body, but I've broken my foot about 2 weeks ago, so just waiting to recover properly and will most likely add that to Wed workouts..

Also another point which is important imo, the gym is usually busy and sometimes you will have to wait for ages before the 'big guys' come off the machines or for free weights to be available, therefore I tend to just do the best with the machines and time that is available...

I've started to use Fitday to keep track of my intake etc...

This may be a bit vague but my protein is around the 215g mark and Carbs roughly the same or slightly higher and Fat around the 50-60g mark.

I'm eating fried eggs, beans, toast in the mornings, afternoon usually has tuna sandwiches or Pasta followed by a shake later on...

Evening is mostly plenty of chicken (fillet) boiled or cooked in pasta sauce or whatevers available to make up my intake for that day... and usually a bit of fruit here and there...

Thanks for the reply, I thought nobody was going to answer...

I'm really serious and honestly and cannot tell you how much it would mean to me if you lot can help me out a little... (I'm really on my own, my family and relatives etc don't have a thing for spending time in gyms, supplements and measuring your food intakes etc, they find me 'weird' lol but I'm sticking with it :evillaugh:

KingKongvsHulk
02-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Sorry forgot to add:

Workouts, I usually do around 3-4 sets with 8-10 reps max with a comfortable weight which doesn't lead to a bad form...

KingKongvsHulk
02-03-2010, 07:41 AM
My current weight is around 182-184 lbs...

KingKongvsHulk
02-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Some Pics :

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/1258/22112009115.th.jpg (http://img713.imageshack.us/i/22112009115.jpg/)

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4946/26112009125.th.jpg (http://img24.imageshack.us/i/26112009125.jpg/)

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3630/26112009126.th.jpg (http://img188.imageshack.us/i/26112009126.jpg/)

Hope you don't mind me editing the pics...I'm sure, I will not need to edit them in the future, once I'm a bit more comfortable on here...

KingKongvsHulk
02-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Perhaps a little impatient, was really looking forward to some replies... :(

Sean S
02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
First off, you need to get a better training routine. I realize that you can't do much lower body stuff right because of the foot, but the whole routine looks random. I would suggest looking at one of the WBB routines on this site. You can simply do the lower body stuff you are capable of right now (leg extension, leg curls, etc...) until the foot heals and you can add in squats and deadlifts.
I also have my doubts that anyone in the 180's is going to gain weight on 2200-2700 calories unless you are very inactive. When I was in the 190's I would lose weight at 3000 calories/per day. The only way to really know is to start tracking your intake and your weight. If your weight isn't going up, eat more. If it still doesn't go up, eat more. I think you get the idea. I think your protein intake is probably fine and wouldn't get too caught up the other macronutrients yet. For now just get your protein and calories in and you should do fine.

Focused70
02-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Foot injuries aren't fun (I had a fractured heel knock me out for 3 months so I sympathize, believe me).

+1 on the need for lower body work.

2700 calories per day is way too low for a bulk -- you can easily add another 2000 without too much trouble.

Your pix look good, even though the lighting is ridiculously dark. Don't worry about having a beer belly -- being big has its merits. You'll know when it comes time to cut -- probably around the time you become sick of wearing size 38 waist pants. :)

Good luck.

KingKongvsHulk
02-05-2010, 04:43 AM
First off, you need to get a better training routine. I realize that you can't do much lower body stuff right because of the foot, but the whole routine looks random. I would suggest looking at one of the WBB routines on this site. You can simply do the lower body stuff you are capable of right now (leg extension, leg curls, etc...) until the foot heals and you can add in squats and deadlifts.
I also have my doubts that anyone in the 180's is going to gain weight on 2200-2700 calories unless you are very inactive. When I was in the 190's I would lose weight at 3000 calories/per day. The only way to really know is to start tracking your intake and your weight. If your weight isn't going up, eat more. If it still doesn't go up, eat more. I think you get the idea. I think your protein intake is probably fine and wouldn't get too caught up the other macronutrients yet. For now just get your protein and calories in and you should do fine.

Foot injuries aren't fun (I had a fractured heel knock me out for 3 months so I sympathize, believe me).

+1 on the need for lower body work.

2700 calories per day is way too low for a bulk -- you can easily add another 2000 without too much trouble.

Your pix look good, even though the lighting is ridiculously dark. Don't worry about having a beer belly -- being big has its merits. You'll know when it comes time to cut -- probably around the time you become sick of wearing size 38 waist pants. :)

Good luck.

Thanks guys

I've just been having a surf through the WBB routines (I,II and III) and the stickies on the training forums so that I don't go ahead and post random stuff like an idiot...

Few questions though that I'm still unclear on even after reading the routines and FAQ.

Should I be starting with these routines or a more intermediate routine. I know I don't have a current routine and its very random with all the excercises I'm doing... but should I add my exisiting excercises to the routines? (tbh, I think I know the answer to this is... the basics are still going to be the base or building blocks that will always be essential, no matter where I'm start from, right?).

Are the routine excercises interchangeable and can I alternate between routines every so often in a couple of weeks or so, or are they supposed to work best the way they are set out.

Finally, should my calories be the same everyday or should I have an extra 500 on a workout day to compensate for the calories used in the gym.
Roughly how many calories are used in an 45-60 minute workout?

So sorry for asking so many questions :clown:

And as suggested, I will start to closely monitor my weight and calorie intake.

ps: is it me being passionate about this or being extemely sad? I'm getting butterflies in my stomach lol... I'm finally getting that feeling that I've got a half decent path to follow and know a little at least as to what I should be doing. :)

tom183
02-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Should I be starting with these routines or a more intermediate routine. I know I don't have a current routine and its very random with all the excercises I'm doing... but should I add my exisiting excercises to the routines?

Dont add anything. Do the routine as written.

Are the routine excercises interchangeable and can I alternate between routines every so often in a couple of weeks or so, or are they supposed to work best the way they are set out.

Pick one and stick with it until it stops working.

Finally, should my calories be the same everyday or should I have an extra 500 on a workout day to compensate for the calories used in the gym.

It is likely that you will naturally eat more on workout days. My appetite is usually insatiable on deadlift day.

Roughly how many calories are used in an 45-60 minute workout?

Impossible to say. Depends on the individual and the intensity of the workout.

KingKongvsHulk
02-06-2010, 04:29 AM
Bingo! Lets see how I get on with this...

Thanks for clearing things up guys :)

Protege385
02-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi guys, i'm trying to do something specific with my weight and i have a very short time frame. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on steps i could take in my diet to achieve my specific goal. Any advice on frequency of meals, times im taking in my nutrients, alternate meal ideas etc would be very appreciated.

First off, i'm 24 years old and i'm 5'6 192 lbs. I need to cut down to approximately 180 lbs and i only have a little over a month to do it. It is very important to me that i maintain my strength and keep my protein intake at a minimum of 225 grams or so. Also, id like to note that while i am at work, i cannot refrigerate anything. So keep that in mind. thank in advance, here is my current diet

Breakfeast: Nutri-100 multi
ginkgo biloba
4 raw eggs(not sure how protein absorbtion works so i calculated it as if my body absorbs all of it. i know that isnt true)
one slice of wheat bread
1 glass of v8
one gala apple

pre-workout: arginine and taurine capsule and jack8d pre-workout drink

during workout: v8 fusion with 5 grams of creatine

Post workout: 1 1/2 scoops of Nitrean in whole milk with glutamine powder, fish oil

pre-work meal: Turkey on 2 slices of wheat bread with a heap of lettuce and 4 tea spoons of mustard

At work meal 1: 1/4 cup bag of fruit trail mix, isopure whey protein, 1/4 cup of almonds

At work meal 2: can of v8, bag of beef jerky, novus protein bar, 3 rice cakes

Home from work meal: 1.5 chicken breasts with a glass of v8

before bed: casein shake, fish oil, bone density capsule

Total Cals: 3100
Total protein: 302
Total Carbs: 275
Total Fat: 81.7

Obviously all totals are rough estimates. I would love some input, thanks guys. I know i'll have to cut calories quite a bit to achieve my goal :(