PDA

View Full Version : Replacing food with pills

hellagrant
02-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Possible in the future? We can get vitamins and other things from a tiny pill. Is there any research on a pill that provides calories, vitamins, protein, carbs, fat, etc?

alin
02-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Not unless you could modify your body to run on nuclear energy!

Something the size of a pill (or even a few pills) could never store enough chemical energy to power the human body for a day, even if its energy density was as high as the most exotic rocket fuel. Fun fact.

Mercuryblade
02-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Not unless you could modify your body to run on nuclear energy!

Something the size of a pill (or even a few pills) could never store enough chemical energy to power the human body for a day, even if its energy density was as high as the most exotic rocket fuel. Fun fact.

Source?

Off Road
02-03-2010, 09:01 AM
I enjoy eating too much to replace it with a pill.

Mercuryblade
02-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I enjoy eating too much to replace it with a pill.

What if the pill was full of spinach and lean protein but could convince your brain that you just got done eating a pound of bacon?

alin
02-03-2010, 11:41 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

Energy of nitroglycerin (a powerful high explosive): ~7 MJ/kg.
Basal metabolic rate of a typical human: ~2000 kilocal/day.
2000 kilocal = 8.36 Megajoules
Amount of nitroglycerin required: ~1.19 Kg
1.19 kg = 1190 1000-milligram pills.

Most powerful chemical energy souce: Pure beryllium + pure oxygen.
Energy: ~24 MJ/kg.
Amount of Be+O required to provide 8.36 MJ: ~348 grams, or 348 1000-milligram pills.

Of course, we obtain the oxygen from the air. You do the math for that one :)

Off Road
02-03-2010, 02:57 PM
What if the pill was full of spinach and lean protein but could convince your brain that you just got done eating a pound of bacon?

No thanks. I don't need anything messin' with my brain...I'll just enjoy the spinich, lean protien and the ocassional lb of bacon.

RichMcGuire
02-03-2010, 07:57 PM
No thanks. I don't need anything messin' with my brain...I'll just enjoy the spinich, lean protien and the ocassional lb of bacon.

Theres nothin better than the smell of a double cheeseburger with bacon and steaming hot, salty fries from McDonalds. Mmmm..