PDA

View Full Version : Buying Bands

KoSh
02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Band newb question...

I bench a bit over 300 pounds. If I wanted to go with the elitefts pro minis for now, how many would I need?

For Squat, I'm squatting about 360-370 or so, how many would I need there? I'm having trouble with some of the terms used, such as "doubled" which obviously could mean two bands to each side, or it could mean one band wrapped twice.

Please let me know! Thanks!

Would I be better off with another type of band?

Lones Green
02-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I like jump stretch bands. My first set from 2.5 years ago is still together, although pretty stretched out. I just recently bought a new set.

You can get them at Westside Barbell's site.

Doubled means one band passes over the bar twice, either anchored by a DB, band peg, or the bottom of the rack.

You'd just need 2 mini's for your bench, and for your squat, I'd say 2 lights.

JSully
02-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Band newb question...

I bench a bit over 300 pounds. If I wanted to go with the elitefts pro minis for now, how many would I need?

For Squat, I'm squatting about 360-370 or so, how many would I need there? I'm having trouble with some of the terms used, such as "doubled" which obviously could mean to bands to each side, or it could mean one band wrapped twice.

Please let me know! Thanks!

Would I be better off with another type of band?

doubled means you attach one end to the bar and loop the band around an anchor then attach the other end to the bar.

choked means you choke it (loop it around itself) to the rack or an anchor and attach one end to the bar. Typically this is how you do your squats.

minis are good for bench, and I would start with either lights for your squat. I squat in the low 6s and just started using strongs.. before when I was in the low 5s I was using averages..

KoSh
02-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks fellas, You guys are great!!

KoSh
02-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Just ordered 2 minis and 2 lights. Excited for using these, I can definitely see these helping.

nickp8
02-04-2010, 11:50 AM
The bands that elitefts.com is selling are jump stretch bands. They just rebranded them.

Kosh you will like them, they help a lot, and can be used for a ton of different things.

AdamBAG
02-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Just ordered 2 minis and 2 lights. Excited for using these, I can definitely see these helping.

This is exactly what I was going to tell you to order. A pair of minis and a pair of lights. You can do a ton of stuff with them. A very good investment.

Jon Elick
02-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Iron Woody's are the same as Jumpstretch...get em at APT Pro Gear...and take 15% off using discount code JELICK

Travis Bell
02-04-2010, 06:36 PM
I thought the Iron Woody's weren't layered like the Jump Stretch bands were?

I really like the way the Jump Stretch bands are layered, makes them last a ton longer.

bigbadwolfe
02-04-2010, 06:55 PM
We got a set of Minis from Jumpstretch for the gym and one broke the 2nd time I used it and the other is coming apart. Was not real pleased with it.But on the other hand the last set of lights I got from there lasted me 5 yrs just broke one of them tuesday. Sooo I just got a new pair so we'll so how long these last.

joey54
02-04-2010, 07:00 PM
I just ordered some more for our gym from Elite. I agree with Jake regarding purchasing mini's and a set of lights for the OP.

IronDiggy
02-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Careful with the elite bands. I've already destroyed one of my mini's just doing speed bench and the layers on my lights are starting to separate from squats and ab work...

KoSh
02-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Would you guys recommend I start off with the minis looped once the first time I use them? Obviously, I don't have them yet, but just curious... From what I understand the first few times you use them it really messes with you... :)

JasonLift
02-05-2010, 07:39 PM
We got a set of Minis from Jumpstretch for the gym and one broke the 2nd time I used it and the other is coming apart. Was not real pleased with it.But on the other hand the last set of lights I got from there lasted me 5 yrs just broke one of them tuesday. Sooo I just got a new pair so we'll so how long these last.

What were you doing when they broke?

At my gym I remember the old average bands we had, one of them was tore a bit and I was squating with them and wondered just how bad it'd be if it snapped.

Beaker
02-07-2010, 07:28 AM
this is just the thread i needed to read. im also looking at getting some bands for training and for taking on vacation (just to keep moving etc).

Im thinking a heavy for some band good mornings, and then maybe some lights or some minis for standing band curls and triceps, any recommendations on which i should use for that kind of stuff ?

KoSh
02-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Iron Woody's are the same as Jumpstretch...get em at APT Pro Gear...and take 15% off using discount code JELICK

Wish I saw this before I ordered from elitefts :P

4g64fiero
02-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I am still looking for some that arent 100 bucks...

chris mason
02-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Order from www.westside-barbell.com. Louie is a great guy who always helps people (in person, on the phone etc.), so supporting his business is a nice way to give back.

Beaker
02-07-2010, 10:44 AM
I wish the APTs werent sold in pairs only , i just want to get a couple of singles.