PDA

View Full Version : Meal Replacements

waynemeat
02-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Hi peeps,

I'm still struggling with cleaning up my diet. I find that my protein intake is only 75% somedays and 240% others.

Breakfast and dinner arn't usually a problem but Lunch time nearly always is. I work a pretty busy job and its hard to avoid buying rubbish because I just want a quick meal and healthy quick meals like soup just don't fill me.

Would like your opinions on meal replacements please. Would it be a good idea for me to start taking these for my lunch? To me it seems like a practical solution that could get my diet to be better balanced.

Example:
http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/meal-replacement/meal-replacement/

Mercuryblade
02-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I have a tub of protein powder, a loaf of bread, peanut butter, jelly, and apples in my cubicle.
The worst is when someone in the cubicle right next to you just got something hot, delicious, and horrible for you. Today was especially bad as the guy next to me brought in homemade fried catish with hotsauce. He popped that in the toaster oven and half of the office was filled with the intoxicating aroma.

waynemeat
02-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Was hoping for a little more response please. Has no one even tried meal replacements?

Yeti Sandwich
02-06-2010, 01:05 PM
If you're looking for a meal replacement supplement, you may want to try the Supplements forum.

If you're looking for a quick/easy lunch meal, I would suggest getting a slow cooker to fix something you can make one day and bring the leftovers for lunch.

CitizenKane
02-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Why not just prepare your meals the night before? It really shouldn't be that hard to get in 3 good meals a day. I eat 5/6 meals a day, and that's NOT including shakes.

Regarding the latter, I find that meal replacement shakes or weight gainer shakes are a total rip off. It's far more cost-effective to make your own: 2 scoops whey, 50-60g oats, 1-2 spoonfuls of olive oil, perhaps some peanut butter blended in, what more could you ask for. Not only is it cheaper, but it's also better because at least if you're using oats you know you're getting a good low GI carb source, whereas in a lot of weight gainers and meal replacement shakes that you buy you will find that they use maltodextrin/dextrose, etc as carb sources. (This is fine for a post-wo shake, but that's for a different thread).

But regardless, I wouldn't be relying on meal replacement shakes if you're only eating 2 solid meals a day anyway, get more food into ya. Just prepare your food the night before (or at the start of the week, Sunday evening for example) and buy yourself a few tupperware containers to carry it to work in.

JasonLift
02-06-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm not a shill for any company, but seriously I've looked at every meal replacement powder mix at there and have yet to find one with stats and ingredients as good as what At Large Nutrition offers (either Opticen or Maximus if you need more calories).

Most other mixes have way too many carbs to protein. My friend has a bag from ON that has something like 200g of carbs to only 50 g of protein. Compare that to Maximus and you'll see a huge difference.

cphafner
02-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Bring your lunch with you. Control what you eat.

Bosch232
02-06-2010, 05:04 PM
It is somewhat dependant on what your work surroundings are. Do you work in an office with access to a fridge and a microwave? If so, you shouldn't be having too much trouble storing food there. I also have protein powder at work (as well as at home).