PDA

View Full Version : Calories intake Query

Keen_Machine
02-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Hey guys, Ive done a bit of reading on here, and from what I concluded (correct me if im wrong), in order to gain mass (mainly muscle) you must count the calories you take in daily and experiment with that a few times until you find your maintenance calorie intake and then add around 500-700 more calories daily to see some gains.

My question is, due to fluid levels (water etc) youe weight changes by around .5 to 1 kg, so if i weighed myself in one week and was around 70 and then by the next week i went up to 71, how do i know that this gain is not due to fluid levels?

I am getting a bit frustrated as my weight seems to be fluctuating every week without seeing any solid gains.

Please help!!

thanks for your time

03mach421
02-05-2010, 01:26 AM
eat more if your not gaining solid weight. simple as that.

tom183
02-05-2010, 05:31 AM
My question is, due to fluid levels (water etc) youe weight changes by around .5 to 1 kg, so if i weighed myself in one week and was around 70 and then by the next week i went up to 71, how do i know that this gain is not due to fluid levels?

You dont. To be as sure as possible though, you want to be consistent with your weighing. After you go to the toilet first thing in the morning is the most accurate time. Make sure you use the same set of scales, wear the same amount of clothing etc etc.

I am getting a bit frustrated as my weight seems to be fluctuating every week without seeing any solid gains.

As the above poster said, you need to start eating more. Once you do, the gains will be unmistakable.

Yeti Sandwich
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Like Tom said, you have to remove as many variables (time of day, clothing, time since eating, using the bathroom, etc.) to get your weight as accurate as possible. I personally weigh myself every morning right after peeing. There will be some variation from day to day, but after a few weeks you should be able to see a trend in your weight (increasing, decreasing or staying the same.) The longer you go, the more evident it will be.

IMO if you're trying to gain weight/strength, I would err on the side of eating too much because in my mind it's better to have a little extra fat than to not be making gains.

Keen_Machine
02-06-2010, 12:39 AM
I see...Thanks for your help guys, and how much time should i be giving between the two weigh in's? is one week enough or should i be weighing myself once every two weeks.

Iplan
02-06-2010, 01:39 AM
I know I'm going against the flow here, but if it were me, I'd make the error on less calories and not more. Especially when your'e just staring out.

When I first started lifting, I had 7-8% body fat, and a really good set of abs, and legs. A friend that who had started lifting about a year before me recommended a protein supplement/weight gainer in addition to a basic workout plan for my upper body. I started working out my upper body with weights, and drinking shakes. After two months, of lifting and drinking those shakes, I'd gained 10lbs, unfortunately all of it seemed to be on top of my abs. My strength was better, but at the expense of losing my most prided muscle group. I threw that tub in the trash, and the whole incident has become a joke between my wife and me, because I cannot seem to get them back ~ regardless of what I do.

That was several years ago. Since then, I've added over 120 lbs to my workout weight on the bench (without any protein supplements, or overfeeding). This is just me, but looking back, I'd keep the abs at the expense of slower growth, or take the protein supplements but skip out on the overfeeding.

BTW, just started my new workout plan. A Workout (push) B Workout (pull) C Workout (legs) ~ going with heavier weights and more complexes based on suggestions I received from you guys. My new squat rack is on order. I'll keep you posted on the results.