PDA

View Full Version : A junior high football players journal

Astreocclu
02-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Hey everyone ive been posting here for awhile, and i decided that the best way possible to record my results would to make a journal everyone can see. My name is Joe, I'm from Canada, im a junior in highschool and im sixteen years old. Ive been overweight since i was 8 years old. I was always a big kid, the tallest in my grade till grade 9. 2 years ago i weighed 185 pounds at 5.11 and benched 135x3 times, i stopped working out for a year and three-quarters and shot up to 245...i dont even know how. No idea what my body fat is, but its gotta be around 25-30% atleast (seem like a reasonable estimate to me). I will be as honest as i can be with all of you and myself, for i truly wish to improve, this is way past the point of being embarssed.

Goals

I have a few goals in mind, i want to become stronger for the sake of being stronger as well as football. I want to decrease my bodyfat to improve my relative body strength, as well as for aesthetic reasons. I want to improve my endurance, as well as my personal fitness scores. Specifically i want

Benchpress-Currently is 155x3 i want to be up to 200x3 by football which is in september

Squat 190-I dont know why this is so low, but i def want this to be way way up by football, dont know exactly what

Ill be looking at the deadlift later

12 minute run-Increase my laps around the track from 4 (yes that bad) to 5 and a half by the end of the semester.

sit ups in a minute-I am not sure what i am at now for this, i will update it in the next couple days when i do it. Whatever it is i want to dohalf again as much by the end of the semester. it will probably somewhere in the low 30s.

Chinup-Cant do a single one of these but i want to get up to 5 by the end of semester.

Sit and Reach-Want to go from 28cm to 40

Most important of any my goals i actually want to start on the football team this year. I will be practicing alot of football as well as getting my strength up as much as possible.

Routine and Diet

Im on WS4SB, monday is maxeffort upper, tuesday is dynamic lower, thursday i rep upper, friday is max effert lower. I think i am going to somehow incorperate GTG method into my off days. I am unaware of what how many calories i have been eating...i have been eating slightly less with more of what is left coming from tuna and lean chicken. Im def getting 200 grams of protein a day.

motivation

I have a friend, who actually has an account on here though he never comes on. His name is Stu and he has been beating me in all our lifts even though we started out really similar. He recently deadlifted 295 on his first time. he benches 175x3 and squats 225x3. Basically he is my rival and i am going to do all i can to beat him.

Ill post probably 5 times a week, thanks anyone that read this and comments (or not, thanks for reading anyway)

john o
02-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Hey Joe,

You listed many goals that are attainable, but don't happen overnight. Don't be hyperfocused
results so much as sticking to sound habits like eating and lifting. The results will come slowly
But surely. You see new members at gyms every January going nuts for a month tops only to
quit.

Channel that intensity with a "slow burn" if you know what I mean. Each day you make an effort
Is an achievement in and of itself no matter what your buddies are doing. Be the best Joe.

Good luck to you. I'll be cheering you on.

StLRPh
02-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Good luck with your goals John

Astreocclu
02-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I just realised i put junior high instead of junior in highschool oh well. Thanks for the support John.

Workout Monday feb 08

5 minute warmup, then worked up to a set of 155 as my 3RM. Ive been trying really hard to do proper PL techinque based on the dave tate video...its pretty hard to remeber it all and i wish i had someone that could tell me my weaknesses.

3 sets of 12 hammer curls at 35 pounds.

3 sets of Dumbeel rows 45 pounds.

3 sets of rear delt flyes like 15 pounds, these are pretty hard for me.

3 sets of shrugs 55 pounds.

If anyone knows anything about WS4SB do you think that dumbell floor press would be applicable exercise for the max effort lift?

Diet Im in a cutting phase and i havent been count macros besides my protein but maybe i should.
Breakfast 6 eggwhites+2 whole eggs=31 grams of protein
Lunch 2 cans of tuna on two sandwiches=52g of protein
Shake=24 g of protein
PWO shake=48 grams of protein
Dinner meatballs with rice=probably 40 grams of protein
pre bed shake 52 grams.
Also alot of vegetables spread throughout the day

BULK_BOY
02-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Why look at DLs later? They are an excellent exercise for Football/ Strength training.

Welcome aboard hoser btw. :)

Coke
02-09-2010, 07:55 AM
You are on the right track...no doubt you will get to where you want to go, just stay on it over an extended period of time to see it happen.

Astreocclu
02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Ugh i was banned from my computer for a couple days for not bringing my report card home, parents wouldnt believe me when i told them my scores.

Anyway diets been going good,i think ill be down 2 pounds at the end of this week.

Tuesday-Dynamic Effort Lower Body

5 sets of 2 box jumps. Not sure how high the box i was jumping onto was, but it wasnt very high, and i made it a bit more diffulcult with performing a body weight box squat and then jumping into it. My school doesnt have many boxes and thats one of the things they need to fix the most.

Step ups, cant remeber the weight i was using, 3x10.

3sets of 8 reps on a make**** ghr. I just took a pillow and put it on the Back extension and i have no idea what a GHR feels like, but it definately worked my glutes and hamstrings.

Barbel Russian Twists with 45 pounds standing 3x8. These are a great exerise, probably et first really benefical exerise i did when i use to shot put. This helped me go from 8-12 meters (which still isnt amazing, but its definately solid for grade 8).

Thursday Repition Upper Body Day.

This day was my fitness testing as well, so i had to do pushups, chinups, and sit ups. I didnt try really hard at any of these things and got 15, 1 , and 30 respectively. I did 3 sets of max reps push ups. I didnt do it as i should of, i didnt have my plan outline with me...this is the kind of stuff i need to avoid.

3x10 40 pound udmbelles floor press.

3x12 45 pound dumbell rows.

This grip exerising where you roll up a weight attached to a rope using a pole. 3 sets of that.

Right now im hoping that i can just have my bench the same next week. Im thinking with a big calorie deficit im gonna focus on keeping my strength the same now, and if it goes up, then even better.

Coke
02-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Looks fine, do whatever you got to do to follow through with the lifting and with school too dude.

Astreocclu
02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
So i had about 960 extra calories today, from a soda and rice cakes...man those sneak up on you, no wonder so many people ar over weight. Anyway to compensate i will be hitting the stationary bike tomorrow and do a body weight complex on sunday.

Friday-Lower body Max

Work up to a 5rm of 155. I dont think this was my actual 5 rm but i wanted to take itsomewhat easy so i can drill it hard next week.

3x10 bodyweight stepups, because i am that fat.

backbridges (i think those are what they are called, put my feet on a bench and laid on the ground with myknees bent and did a pelvis thrust type thingy, i def felt it)

Skipped my abs cause i worked them hard yesterday.

Astreocclu
02-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Max effort upperbody tuesday

i worked up to a 5rm close grip bench press. It was at 130, not sure if thats good or bad.

Superset Regular curls with Barbell Shrugs. 40 and 55 respectively

Bent over dumbell row 50s.

rear delt flyes 15s.

Im gonna try to coax more poundage out of my bench after 4 weeks, i dont know if its gonna happen considering im on a calorie restricted diet.

Astreocclu
02-21-2010, 03:19 PM
couldnt work out for a couple days due to scheduling issues with the weight room and having health during personall fitness class, but i got on friday.

Max Effort Lower Body

I tried my deadlifts out today just to see. 225x5 RM, which i dont know if its bad or good, my friend said my form wasnt very good in the fact that i was using to much of my back.

8x10x3 body weight step ups.

8x12x3 pull throughs

Coke
02-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Keep at it man, tweak your form with the deads and/or maybe try some rack pulls if possible.

Astreocclu
02-24-2010, 05:05 PM
It takes me awhile to post my workouts here but ill do the last 3 days as good as i can remeber

Max effort upper
Work up to a set of 135 5rm close grip bench. PR

8-12x3 Hammer Curls

50 pound 8x10x3 bent over dumbbell row

Rear Delt Flyes

Barbell Shrug 8-12x3

Dynamic Effort Lower

Box jump 2-3x7. I dont know what my box jump was but i put like 3 inches on it that day, which is sweet.

Walking lunges

Pull Throughs 8x3

Off Day, cardio, active recovery

Did like 20 minutes of massage and warm up. Then i did 10 minute hiit on the bag with a 20 minute walk after.

Astreocclu
02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Thursday Upper Body Dynamic 25th febuary 2010

Id like to thank for travis bell for giving me a good idea of how to do dynamic day.

Did 2sets close grip of 3 at 55. 2 sets normal grip for 3 at 75. did 2 sets wide grip at 85 for 3.

3 sets of the dumbbell floor press 12 times.

3 sets of tricep extensions 15 times

3 sets of invenrted rows.

Friday Lower Body max 26th feburary 2010

5rm of 230 deadlift, conventional

2 sets of walking lunges

3 sets of a makeshift GHR. Basically took a cushion put it on a box on a back extension. I dont know what a GHR feels like, but i know that it def worked my hams and glutes.

High Rep ab circuit. Situps/russian twists/leg throws etc.

john o
02-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Keep up the efforts bud. Learn to deadlift properly andit will pay off in the long run. Good stuff with the box jumps.

Astreocclu
03-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Upper body Max Monday march 01 2010

Worked up to a 5rm of 140 close grip bench. I am hoping since this is going up, and presumbly my floor press will go up when i start it next week, that i will def be able to bench more. My friend who i am in competetion with just went up to 185, without changing exersies or doing anything.

8-12x3 Dumbbell curls

8-12x3 Bent over dumbell Rows

8-12x3 scarecrows

Astreocclu
03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Tuesday Lower Body Dynamic March 02 2010

6sets of 2 box jumps. Put 2 more inches on this, which its still not impressive in absolute values, i am excited to get it as high as i can.

3x12 walking lunges

3x12 pull throughs

Plank Progression thingy.

I think ill do a body weight complex tomorrow.

Astreocclu
03-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Tuesday Lower Body Dynamic March 02 2010

6sets of 2 box jumps. Put 2 more inches on this, which its still not impressive in absolute values, i am excited to get it as high as i can.

3x12 walking lunges

3x12 pull throughs

Plank Progression thingy.

I think ill do a body weight complex tomorrow.

Astreocclu
03-08-2010, 06:57 PM
So i got really sick on thursday, and was down all weekend. Lost 3 pounds, and my calroies were barely at 1000 since i was vomitting so much.

Upper Body Max march 08 10.

worked up to a max on the Floor poress of 145. hope this goes up to 150 next week, 155 after etc. Hopefully my 3rm on the bench will be like.165-170 now.

3x8 inverted rows.

Thats all i did for that day cause i didnt want to push myself to hard.

Astreocclu
03-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Cant work out after school, so im stuck with 3 days a week, so im ditching lower dynamic till i find a solution.

Max Effort Lower Body

Worked up to 5rm of deadlift

3 sets of 8x3 walking lunges

8x3 sets of pullhoughs

heavy abs, russian twists, sit ups, leg throws etc.

Gonna change some stuff next week, add more volume and stuff.

Astreocclu
04-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Havent updated in a long time, my life is been way in the fast lane. I worked out 4 days last week, but 2 of those days were not good, and i didnt record it as i have been barely able to practice guitar/get my school work done/etc. Anyway I can only work out a max of two normal west side days this week.

Tuesday April 01 2010 Upperbody Max.

Worked up to 160x3 on the bench, PR. Actually i probably would of been higher if my diet hadnt gone down the toilet for 2 weeks.

Then i did 2 heavy sets for reps at 125.

i did 3x12 at 50 dumbbell rows. Im gonna add another back exerise in if there is time during class probably next week.

3x8 bicep curls at 35.

3x10 shrugs at 50.

Didnt get rear delt flyes in, because i spent a long time warming up as i was particularly out of it.

Counterweight
04-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Well Joe, I'd say you have more effort into this than me. I eat like garbage and I still gain, I wish you were in my personal fitness class..then we could get JACKED TOGEEETHERRRRRR.

Anyways, good work man.