PDA

View Full Version : Single ply convicts for training?

Beaker
02-07-2010, 07:31 AM
I would like to add some support and warmth to my knees, i think i need more support thatn the Rehbands are capable of giving me.

Im looking at the APT convict single ply and the APT red/black heavy sleeves, i want to be able to leave them on for several sets without having to worry about it, which ones would be best, are there any major differences between the black/red and the convict single?

accuFLEX
02-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Which Rehbands? Blue or grey?

Beaker
02-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Which Rehbands? Blue or grey?

grey. as far as i know the blues were the old ones and are hard to find.

Tom Mutaffis
02-08-2010, 07:59 AM
I would like to add some support and warmth to my knees, i think i need more support thatn the Rehbands are capable of giving me.

Im looking at the APT convict single ply and the APT red/black heavy sleeves, i want to be able to leave them on for several sets without having to worry about it, which ones would be best, are there any major differences between the black/red and the convict single?

If you are looking for more support then I would go with either the double ply convicts or the Inzer knee sleeves. The 'heavy duty' black/red APT sleeves would not give you much more support than a good quality neoprene sleeve.

grey. as far as i know the blues were the old ones and are hard to find.

You can still purchase the old style blue 7mm knee sleeves from Jackals gym. They are $33.95/each + Shipping = $77/pair.

I would not recommend the grey rehbands, if you want a nice 5mm knee sleeve go with Vulkan sleeves (TheWeakGetEaten). $45-50/pair including shipping.

Beaker
02-08-2010, 08:10 AM
If you are looking for more support then I would go with either the double ply convicts or the Inzer knee sleeves. The 'heavy duty' black/red APT sleeves would not give you much more support than a good quality neoprene sleeve.

You can still purchase the old style blue 7mm knee sleeves from Jackals gym. They are $33.95/each + Shipping = $77/pair.

I would not recommend the grey rehbands, if you want a nice 5mm knee sleeve go with Vulkan sleeves (TheWeakGetEaten). $45-50/pair including shipping.

awesome thanks tom. do you think id be able to leave the double plys on for multiple sets without a problem? im not much of a "power lifter" in the sense that i like to do sets without too much rest and like to try and move quickly to keep my cardio up. strongman events are my ultimate goal.

i was watching some of your youtube vids on the atlarge channel, and not to sound like a weirdo or fanboy but its truly impressive. im hoping to get into that game once i get my strength up a little more.

Beaker
02-08-2010, 08:24 AM
man, it looks like all kinds of sleeves my size are out of stock everywhere.

Tom Mutaffis
02-08-2010, 06:31 PM
awesome thanks tom. do you think id be able to leave the double plys on for multiple sets without a problem? im not much of a "power lifter" in the sense that i like to do sets without too much rest and like to try and move quickly to keep my cardio up. strongman events are my ultimate goal.

i was watching some of your youtube vids on the atlarge channel, and not to sound like a weirdo or fanboy but its truly impressive. im hoping to get into that game once i get my strength up a little more.

You can wear the double ply convicts throughout your workout without any problems.

Thanks for the complement, let me know if I can help you with your training. There is a actually a gym in Philadelphia that has great equipment and some experienced strongmen -> www.ironsport.com

Which sleeves were you looking for that were out of stock? Some of the APT sleeves are sized a bit small; I wear XXL on my knees but am XL in a lot of other sleeves.

Beaker
02-09-2010, 05:32 AM
the Double ply convicts are out of stock in my size, id need a 3xl and that may even be tight on me (says for 241 and up and im 320). im not HUGE thoguh, im just tall so my knee may be about the same size as a big 250lb guy that is shorter.

It looks like Elite has a "super heavy" knee sleeve available in my size, but it says that its almost like a knee wrap so im not sure thats what im looking for.

Tom Mutaffis
02-09-2010, 06:46 AM
the Double ply convicts are out of stock in my size, id need a 3xl and that may even be tight on me (says for 241 and up and im 320). im not HUGE thoguh, im just tall so my knee may be about the same size as a big 250lb guy that is shorter.

It looks like Elite has a "super heavy" knee sleeve available in my size, but it says that its almost like a knee wrap so im not sure thats what im looking for.

I have not heard good things about the Elite sleeves, and the 'super heavy' would be the same as the red/black APT's (not the Convicts). Inzer sleeves may be good but they are a bit stiff and are also about double the cost of the Elite/APT sleeves.

My recommendation would be to go with the Single Ply Convicts and use the code 'PLWATCH' for 15% off and free wraps. This brings the cost of the sleeves down to $28/pair and you get a free pair of 12" wrist wraps. Y

Should you decide to go with the Convicts you should fit in the XXXL without any problem, and depending on the size of your knee joint / legs you might actually want a XXL. If you would like I can measure my knee/lower thigh when I get home so that you can get an idea of the fit...

Beaker
02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I have not heard good things about the Elite sleeves, and the 'super heavy' would be the same as the red/black APT's (not the Convicts). Inzer sleeves may be good but they are a bit stiff and are also about double the cost of the Elite/APT sleeves.

My recommendation would be to go with the Single Ply Convicts and use the code 'PLWATCH' for 15% off and free wraps. This brings the cost of the sleeves down to $28/pair and you get a free pair of 12" wrist wraps. Y

Should you decide to go with the Convicts you should fit in the XXXL without any problem, and depending on the size of your knee joint / legs you might actually want a XXL. If you would like I can measure my knee/lower thigh when I get home so that you can get an idea of the fit...

Thanks tom, I just measured my knee at 20.5 inches. im guessing the single ply in xxxl would be the best bet (weight range 241-270) for fit. Im not sure why the singles are sized smaller than the doubles, but i doubt the xxl will fit. If its extra tight i'll just have to remove them after a couple sets and then put them back on or something.

thanks for all the help and the code, i could definitely use that 15% off these days.

edit: just ordered, theyre on the way.

Tom Mutaffis
02-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks tom, I just measured my knee at 20.5 inches. im guessing the single ply in xxxl would be the best bet (weight range 241-270) for fit. Im not sure why the singles are sized smaller than the doubles, but i doubt the xxl will fit. If its extra tight i'll just have to remove them after a couple sets and then put them back on or something.

thanks for all the help and the code, i could definitely use that 15% off these days.

edit: just ordered, theyre on the way.

Glad that I was able to help; the XXXL was definitely the right choice if your knee measures 20.5".

Keep me posted on how you like them...

Beaker
02-09-2010, 03:21 PM
sure will. thanks again.

Beaker
02-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Glad that I was able to help; the XXXL was definitely the right choice if your knee measures 20.5".

Keep me posted on how you like them...

well they got here on friday and i finally got around to putting them on just this morning after being out of town overnight.

they fit pretty good. theye TIGHT but its a good tight. i did a few bodyweight squats (with my 320lb body lol) and there is no pain or soreness or anything which is great, because i was having pain even getting off the couch in the past couple weeks. ...

even with the tightness, i should definitely be able to keep them on for several sets without trouble. ive been wearing them around the house for the past 20 minutes in a futile effort to stretch them out a little bit.

theres a LITTLE bit of bunching at the bottom but nothing to be worried about at all... im looking forward to using them in the gym. and may put a couple plates on today just to test them out.

Tom Mutaffis
02-15-2010, 08:52 AM
well they got here on friday and i finally got around to putting them on just this morning after being out of town overnight.

they fit pretty good. theye TIGHT but its a good tight. i did a few bodyweight squats (with my 320lb body lol) and there is no pain or soreness or anything which is great, because i was having pain even getting off the couch in the past couple weeks. ...

even with the tightness, i should definitely be able to keep them on for several sets without trouble. ive been wearing them around the house for the past 20 minutes in a futile effort to stretch them out a little bit.

theres a LITTLE bit of bunching at the bottom but nothing to be worried about at all... im looking forward to using them in the gym. and may put a couple plates on today just to test them out.

Glad to hear that they fit well and gave you the compression/stability that you were looking for.

When is your next lower body workout?

Beaker
02-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Glad to hear that they fit well and gave you the compression/stability that you were looking for.

probably not till next week. maybe something really light this week. i have my first meet ever this coming saturday so im resting up a bit. but i plan on hitting it really hard next week.

Beaker
02-15-2010, 07:01 PM
just read the rules on the fed that im competing in on saturday. looks like the sleeves are legal. so i'll be using them there for sure

Beaker
02-21-2010, 12:46 PM

wore the sleeves at the meet this weekend and crushed out 445 without ANY knee pain or problems. one of the judges even mentioned to me i had great explosion out of the hole at the bottom (insert diarhea joke) . i feel like i could have gone 465 maybe 475 . but being that it was my first meet, and the most weight i had previously handled was 375 we were planning on playing it safe.

i had said id be happy with a 405 squat, so the extra 40lbs is great.

then went on to do a 320 bench and pull a legal 445 and then hitched a bit on a 495 but made it all the way up (a good gym quality lift but not legal)