PDA

View Full Version : Flexibility for Snatch

acfalcon
02-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm just now starting a basic olympic lifting routine, and took some training from a certified trainer on the lifts. But as expected I have very low flexibility in my shoulders and need more squat depth (especially with overheads). I was breaking my routine into two parts one for snatch & the other for clean & jerk. For snatch days I was going to do overhead squats to begin then go to my snatch sets. The issue is that with this limited flexibility I can't do a very well-formed snatch, so until I get better depth and shoulder flexibility, what does everyone suggest for days I want to work on snatch progression. I've considered power snatch, but have heard some say that it will only slow my progression into a proper snatch form; and I've considered until I can overhead squat properly to just double up on overhead squat work and forget about snatch until I'm ready. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Hazerboy
02-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Yeah can't help you here man, I was blessed with a flexible snatch from birth.

Most people though really have to work on obtaining a flexible snatch, though the journey is rewarding. I find it often helps to work with a partner when trying to obtain a more flexible snatch. You might even consider videotaping yourself. The only thing I can tell you is -- don't force it! This will only lead to injury. Just work on it day by day and let the flexibility in your snatch come naturally.

Or if you're impatient just go by some KY.

XD

all jokes aside, If I were you I would forget the snatch until I had good enough flexibility. It can be VERY hard to unlearn bad habits. Instead I'd focus on movements that will build strength once you do get the movement down -- squats, good mornings, glute ham raises, overhead squats, snatch deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, etc. etc... though I only dabble in the olympic lifts.

redbarr
02-08-2010, 07:42 AM
do you really feel a compelling reason to worry about full Olympic ass on heel snatches? Are you competing in O- lifting? The overhead squat has some amazing benefits but worrying about dropping under a full snatch for max weight might not be worth it IMO. I really just do the power snatch and clean (both from the floor and hang). I never really drop lower than 1/2 squat. I have some friends who have competed in Olym Lifting for years and regret the impact on knees and wrists of catching the lifts in the way bottom position. Unless you're competing, I suggest just hitting the power movements or, just high pull. You will still blast the pulling muscles and get monster traps as well as develop explosiveness.

acfalcon
02-13-2010, 11:35 AM
The main reason I went towards oly lifts is all the equipment I have to train with right now is an oly bar and a lot of weights, and what I'm shooting for is power and explosive strength (don't really care about hypertrophy). So I've been doing a lot of deads, power snatch & power cleans. They seem to be doing great and until I'm able to buy a rack I've been doing a lot of low weight high rep squats to start each work out (mixing front, back & overhead) to increase my depth so in a couple months when I have the money to buy a cheap rack I will be ready to start doing heavy squats with good depth. Anyhow, this isn't the first time I've heard oly lifting can hurt your knees so I will stick to the power lifts with a lot of deads and squats separate, so thanks for the suggestion. I do have one question though, I've had oly lift training a while back so I know the basics of the lifts, but on my power cleans there is a fraction of a second as I'm getting myself under the bar to the clean grip before I have it fully rested across what I guess would be my collar bone area that I feel a slight pull in my front delts. I was doing bodybuilding style lifts for 15 years so I know the difference between good and bad soreness and this almost feels bad. Is it something that my body just needs to get used to since I'm new to it (as I said I feel its just a fraction of a second), or should I try to drop the weight a little and try to explode even faster to the full clean final position? Any suggestions.

Thanks

4g64fiero
02-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Can you put some paragraphs in that?

That wall of text is intimidating! XD

acfalcon
02-13-2010, 12:01 PM
: ) Oops, sorry about the long thread....Here it is broken out better (last paragraph is most important)....

The main reason I went towards oly lifts is all the equipment I have to train with right now is an oly bar and a lot of weights, and what I'm shooting for is power and explosive strength (don't really care about hypertrophy). So I've been doing a lot of deads, power snatch & power cleans. They seem to be doing great and until I'm able to buy a rack I've been doing a lot of low weight high rep squats to start each work out (mixing front, back & overhead) to increase my depth so in a couple months when I have the money to buy a cheap rack I will be ready to start doing heavy squats with good depth.

Anyhow, this isn't the first time I've heard oly lifting can hurt your knees so I will stick to the power lifts with a lot of deads and squats separate, so thanks for the suggestion.

I do have one question though, I've had oly lift training a while back so I know the basics of the lifts, but on my power cleans there is a fraction of a second as I'm getting myself under the bar to the clean grip before I have it fully rested across what I guess would be my collar bone area that I feel a slight pull in my front delts. I was doing bodybuilding style lifts for 15 years so I know the difference between good and bad soreness and this almost feels bad. Is it something that my body just needs to get used to since I'm new to it (as I said I feel its just a fraction of a second), or should I try to drop the weight a little and try to explode even faster to the full clean final position? Any suggestions.

Thanks

KarlMarx
02-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Put plates under your heels and/or get olympic shoes. When you just start you really shouldn't be jumping your legs out anyway. There are tons of ways to do the oly lifts but I assume you are doing the triple extension? If so, then you can still come onto the toes and heel down on the plate.

Its more than just the hips though also the trunk and the shoulders. Grab a towel in front of you and thenbring it behind you over your head without letting go. Bring your hands in as your get more flexible. You might also need back arches and bends to loosen up as well.

You might just go to yoga...I did for awhile and focuses on my problem areas until I could snatch bodyweight safely.

Good luck!