PDA

View Full Version : how do i secure bands?

the one
02-08-2010, 06:02 AM
was thinking of starting use with bands for deads. never tried before, i watched some vids to see how to keep bands down and it seems like people have a platform that they stand on and attach bands too. I dont have anything like tghat./ Can you guys gimmie some ideas as i train at home?
thanks

ThomasG
02-08-2010, 06:11 AM
Yea you need one of those special platforms I forget the name. I use 4 dumbbells and stretch the bands across the dumbbells and over the barbell. Works fine but is a pain in the ass to set-up.

slashkills
02-08-2010, 06:19 AM
If you do a search lones has a video or picture on here of his set up with dumbells.

KoSh
02-08-2010, 06:24 AM
I think I'm going to try to use 45 pound plates to set them up. The plates at the gym I go to kind of look like a steering wheel. They have handles on them. I think I'm going to put the band through that and sit the plate on top of bottom portion of the band.

I hope that's reliable. I don't think I'm going to be able to use dumb bells because alot of the DBs are lighter weight and the higher weight ones only have one pair for each weight. I'd get people pretty pissed at me pretty quick for taking the good DBs :)

Although, that said, I'm not sure how much weight it would take to hold a mini or a light band. Anyone have any ideas dumbbell wise?

JasonLift
02-08-2010, 06:38 AM
I believe quad'd mini bands provide about 200 pounds of tension at the top of the lift so you'd need to cover at least that. I remember doing them with 150s dumbells before and being fine.

KoSh
02-08-2010, 06:53 AM
I believe quad'd mini bands provide about 200 pounds of tension at the top of the lift so you'd need to cover at least that. I remember doing them with 150s dumbells before and being fine.

Yeah, so it looks like I'm going to have to use plates to use the bands. The dumbbells at my gym only go to 100 pounds and there's only one set of those.

Doubled minis should provide what, around 90 lbs at the top? So two plates should be able to keep it down.

I'll have to look at the power rack closer tonight to see if theres any way that I can attach the bands to the rack, but I don't think so.

Lones Green
02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1933/208/59/1540903734/n1540903734_124317_4401.jpg

Takes a while to set up, but is effective