PDA

View Full Version : I came across this video and need some help

tryme
02-09-2010, 06:17 AM
Ok I came across this vid on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXwLUA_ucCk&annotation_id=annotation_837480&feature=iv

and i'm sure some people have seen it before. During the video it displays the table for "gain muscle lose fat"

on the table it says if you weigh 140lbs( i'm aiming to get up to around 135 as i'm currently 128) you should consume 265 cals x 6 meals a day which equals 1600 cals a day. It also says you should aim to consume 23g protein x 6 meals a day which equals 140g of protein a day.

Any way my problem is I went onto google and typed in how many calories should I consume a day and it said if I want to maintain 128lbs I should consume 2427 a day. Whats up with that? I'm lost. How could I gain muscle by consuming LESS calories then I would if I wanted to stay at 128?

tnathletics2b
02-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Ok I came across this vid on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXwLUA_ucCk&annotation_id=annotation_837480&feature=iv

and i'm sure some people have seen it before. During the video it displays the table for "gain muscle lose fat"

on the table it says if you weigh 140lbs( i'm aiming to get up to around 135 as i'm currently 128) you should consume 265 cals x 6 meals a day which equals 1600 cals a day. It also says you should aim to consume 23g protein x 6 meals a day which equals 140g of protein a day.

Any way my problem is I went onto google and typed in how many calories should I consume a day and it said if I want to maintain 128lbs I should consume 2427 a day. Whats up with that? I'm lost. How could I gain muscle by consuming LESS calories then I would if I wanted to stay at 128?

I cannot see the video, as YouTube is blocked at work, but it is wrong if it provides blanket information like that. The only way to figure out what kind of calories you need is to do something like the following:

1) Determine a goal, i.e. gain 10 pounds, lose 10 pounds, etc.
2) Track your calories and your weight concurrently. I used www.fitday.com to do this.
3) Look at your records that you kept on fitday. For example, notice that you ate 2235 calories a day for 2 weeks and stayed at 128 pounds.
4) If you want to gain weight, you now know you need to take in more than 2235 calories a day. If you want to lose weight, you now know you need to take in less than 2235 calories a day.
5) Since 3500 calories equals a pound, take in an extra 500 a day to gain a pound a week, (7x500=3500) or take in 500 less a day to lose a pound a week.

Once you know exactly how many calories you need to to gain or lose weight, then you can tailor an eating plan that suits your needs.

Everyone is different. For me to gain weight, I have to take in about 3,500 calories a day, and if I am hitting it especially hard, 4,000 calories a day because of my level of activity and high metabolism. If one of my active friends, of comporable height and weight as me, ate that much, he would gain 50 pounds a month because he can practically just look at food and gain weight.

Don't trust a graph or table to do the work, you have to find out for yourself.

tryme
02-09-2010, 07:02 AM
I don't really like fitday as you can't be sure if the nutritional information it has is correct and sometimes they don't even have the exact product on their site so it's a bit hit and miss and not as acurate as you might think. Saying that I will give it another go and see what happens. I also have a fast bmr.

tnathletics2b
02-09-2010, 07:42 AM
I don't really like fitday as you can't be sure if the nutritional information it has is correct and sometimes they don't even have the exact product on their site so it's a bit hit and miss and not as acurate as you might think. Saying that I will give it another go and see what happens. I also have a fast bmr.

True, I have seen no formal validations on the nutritional information, but some of the guys on here, like Unholy, have made a living off of using this information.

tryme
02-09-2010, 07:43 AM
I guess that is true and the only way to know is to try it. Thanks for the replies.

tnathletics2b
02-09-2010, 08:25 AM
No problem, good luck with it!