PDA

View Full Version : Mid Squat Sticking Point

blownby
02-09-2010, 08:25 AM
I tend to stall about mid point or just below on the way back up.
Any recomendations to improve this spot? I have started working agianst bands & chains to help. Any other suggestions or stick w/ these? Also what rep scheme for the chains & bands? Singles, x3, x5 6-8??

Here is a vid against bands. 455# bar weight & about 165# band ternsion. The short bands kick in quick too! Shows the stall well......

u7mkiwJRKM0

Here is 495# x 3. I know i fall forward a bit, first time been that excessive. I think my spotter leaning in makes it look worse too?? But the vid shows the stall point as well

jQ6oaRYROeQ

MarcusWild
02-09-2010, 11:05 AM
That's a pretty natural spot for a raw squatter to stall. Try to use more glutes and hamstrings out of the hole and keep your hips under you more. You're using quads and then you stall where you have to start using your lower back to finish the lift.

Lones Green
02-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Yup, it all has to do with your form and the muscles used. Trying sitting back and keeping more upright, and you'll have much more drive

blownby
02-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Cool, thanks! The bands do tend to pull you forward, thus helping my lower back strength! I will try to sit back a bit more. Usually when i do just regular Box squat, i can sit back & pause on the box.

Just form work really then.......

blownby
02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I also notice my knee's tend to drift in....does that also contribute to the stall there? I know i need to drive my knees out a bit more to avoid this as well.

JSully
02-09-2010, 11:56 AM
a muscular therapist told me to take a miniband and loop it around itself (like doubling a rubber band).. then stepping inside it and pulling it up just barely over your knees. He said put your feet about shoulder width and do free squats. He said focus on trying to stay as upright as possible while sitting back and this will have a great carryover to your squat as it will help develop hip mobility and glute strength.. I still can't squat heavy because of my hamstring, but I'm noticing it's much easier for me to stay upright with front squats and my knees naturally are kicking out more as well..

I just treat it as a dynamic warmup 2x/week and do 2-3 sets of 10-15 like this, takes almost no time at all and it doesn't hurt anything. Give that a try..

thewicked
02-09-2010, 01:24 PM
got a vid of this sully?

Beaker
02-09-2010, 02:26 PM
got a vid of this sully?

id like to see that too

blownby
02-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Cool idea....

JSully
02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
got a vid of this sully?

if I can get the cam charged before I start training tonight, I'll get it up tomorrow..