PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the wall...

skinnylegs
02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I started a program of nutrition and weight training five weeks ago. Before beginning my program, I was 6' tall and 129 lbs. Yeah, you can say it. I was rail skinny. One day I stumbled across an article about about a guy much like myself that embarked upon a program of nutrition and weight training and literally morphed his body from that of a freshly-kicked-sand-in-the-face 'kinda guy to a stud. So, I spent countless hours researching nutrition and weight training and came up with a program.

One of the first things I learned is that if you want to get big, you have to eat. There's no way around that. Secondly, you have to eat the right stuff. When I looked at my current eating habits it became apparent to me that much of the reason I was skinny was because I simply didn't eat! During the course of a normal day, I would typically take in about 1500 calories and that's barely enough to sustain me, let alone see growth. So the first thing I did was establish a diet. My current diet provides between 3500-4000 calories a day and looks like this...

1. One-half gallon of milk a day.
2. Potatoes, eggs and some form of meat for breakfast.
3. Whole wheat bread, lean beef and/or turkey, cheese and mayo for lunch.
4. Chicken and rice, pasta or potatoes for dinner.
5. Fruits and veges thrown in the mix randomly but with every meal.

I don't feel the need to "mix it up" that often because I actually like everything I have listed above and at this point in time, eating is more of a means-to-an-end as opposed to something that is actually enjoyable. The *biggest* problem I have in terms of eating is that I sometimes hit the wall. By this, I mean that time rolls around for my next meal and I'm simply not hungry. Not even in the least. When this occurs, I try to at least force a part of my meal down my mouth. I don't know but I'm thinking that my body simply isn't used to eating this much but in time it will relearn? Any thoughts on this?

In terms of my weight training, I train Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I work each and every body part every training session but I emphasize a different body part each training session. For instance, yesterday my emphasis was on chest so I threw in a couple additional training regimens for my chest. There seems to be a lot of controversy about working each body part each training session but it *seems* to be working for me and you know what they say about making a happy baby happier. Your thoughts?

BTW...after five weeks, I have gained six pounds and *definition*. Mind you, I'm definitely not where I want to be but I wouldn't expect to be after five weeks. My goal is to gain a pound a week. If I achieve this goal, I will have gone from 129 lbs. to approx. 154 lbs. in six months. Is this a realistic goal? I'm sure many of you are thinking that 154 lbs. 'aint **** but coming from 129 lbs. it will make a *dramatic* difference in my appearance and self-esteem.

I'd appreciate any input you might have *including* pep talks from guys who are coming from a situation similar to mine. It's not always an easy rope to tow but I'm in this for the long haul.

Thanks, guys.

Off Road
02-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Sounds like you are on a good track. Increase your eating gradually over time. If you jump up too fast, you'll become uncomfortable. Give your body time to get used to the extra food. Remember, it's not a race and don't forget to SQUAT.

thewicked
02-09-2010, 01:06 PM
you're gonna gain some fat gaining weight but just as long as you're conscious of the amount you're gaining and keep it in check you'll be solid throughout your gain! You can do it man..just put in your time..and your grocery bill HAHA

skinnylegs
02-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks, guys!

Squats. Yeah...I do 'em every single time. I read that they are the single most important part of a weight training routine.

I figured I would pick up some fat because of the whole milk but interestingly enough, seems I'm maintaining a low percentage of body fat. At least so far I am. LOL. Right now I'm eating dark meat chicken because it contains more fat and just taste so much better but I'm figuring I'll eventually have to make the move to white meat. Eventually....as in when consuming 4,000 calories a day comes easily.

skinnylegs
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Oh yeah...I'm out an about a lot so I keep a jar of peanut butter with me and that's the only thing I snack on when the mood hits me.