PDA

View Full Version : Breathing techniques

chinaz
02-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I realized today that the biggest problem I have when maxing out, is breathing. I dont know what to do, or when to do it.

Can anyone help me out?

Lones Green
02-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Take a big breath and hold it in your belly, then let it out when the bar is back in the rack. It should keep you much tighter.

NickAus
02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Yep hold your air in your gut and push out into belt.

ScottYard
02-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Exactly. Just hold it! Start to finish.

chinaz
02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Seriously?! On squat, coach always says big breath before going down, then letting it all out when coming back up..

KoSh
02-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Personally, I don't teach breathing with my athletes.

I'm obviously no pro, but I'm of the belief that when you're teaching a lift to someone, they already have alot of stuff on their plate that they're trying to learn. Now you're trying to pile on when to breathe on top of technique and form (which for a newbie can be quite daunting.)

My philosophy is: Your body will find a way to do it, one way or another. Let it do it's thing. On 1RM, holding the breath seems to be what generally happens. Only anything more than 1RM the kids seem to naturally inhale on the eccentric and exhale on the concentric. Even the guys who have never trained before.

Travis Bell
02-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Seriously?! On squat, coach always says big breath before going down, then letting it all out when coming back up..

Yeah don't let it all out. You'll lose all the tension in your core and a lot of times it makes people start to go forward, hips come up and they miss the squat. Don't take a ridiculously deep breath at the beginning, take a comfortable but full one and hold it throughout the entire squat.

Personally, I don't teach breathing with my athletes.

I'm obviously no pro, but I'm of the belief that when you're teaching a lift to someone, they already have alot of stuff on their plate that they're trying to learn. Now you're trying to pile on when to breathe on top of technique and form (which for a newbie can be quite daunting.)

My philosophy is: Your body will find a way to do it, one way or another. Let it do it's thing. On 1RM, holding the breath seems to be what generally happens. Only anything more than 1RM the kids seem to naturally inhale on the eccentric and exhale on the concentric. Even the guys who have never trained before.

Sometimes it's the simple stuff that will take them the distance. Teaching breathing shouldn't be real difficult.

Most kids have never been taught how to hold their breath when lifting, some simple instruction can go a long way.

KoSh
02-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Sometimes it's the simple stuff that will take them the distance. Teaching breathing shouldn't be real difficult.

Most kids have never been taught how to hold their breath when lifting, some simple instruction can go a long way.

I may find a way to do this in the future.

chinaz
02-12-2010, 11:46 AM
thanks everyone :)

One more question..

how do you wash suits???

ScottYard
02-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Dont worry about washing a suit. This can do too many things that you dont want. If its funked up hit it lightly with some fabreeze. If its loose get it taken in.

Sensei
02-13-2010, 08:02 PM
CXgEXiTCjqo