PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifting routine for over 400 DLers

mchicia1
02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
What routine do you use and why? Right now I am just doing ramping 3 reppers up to a 1 or 2 RM every week. I am doing this just to work back up to my old max as I was out for 6 weeks with an injury. I am almost back up to par and was curious what some of the big DLers do. I plan to go medium squat/heavy DL on wednesdays and heavy squats on Sundays.

Beaker
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
5-3-1 nuff said.

walker
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
FRM every other week on heavy days, rack pulls on days you don't do FRM. And FRM dynamic pulls every week on dynmaic days.

jtteg_x
02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
When 400 were my top sets, I would pull off the rack and switch over off the floor bi-weekly. The use of bands/chains were also helpful. An example of what I did were:

Week 1: avg. bands off floor
Week 2: rack pulls
Week 3: speed pulls
Week 4: rack pulls
Week 5: reverse bands off floor

they were either singles, doubles and sometimes triples. nothing was set in stone. I came into the gym with what I felt like doing. Be realistic and don't be lazy pulling off the pins all the time. are you pulling sumo or conventional?

mchicia1
02-09-2010, 08:52 PM
When 400 were my top sets, I would pull off the rack and switch over off the floor bi-weekly. The use of bands/chains were also helpful. An example of what I did were:

Week 1: avg. bands off floor
Week 2: rack pulls
Week 3: speed pulls
Week 4: rack pulls
Week 5: reverse bands off floor

they were either singles, doubles and sometimes triples. nothing was set in stone. I came into the gym with what I felt like doing. Be realistic and don't be lazy pulling off the pins all the time. are you pulling sumo or conventional?

I have never pulled anything except off the floor, and I pull conventional. Actually, I didnt even train them consistently at all (maybe once a month) and got all the way up to 430 for a couple solid reps. My squats really carried over. But now I want to train them directly and see if I can get to 500 in a couple of months.

hellagrant
02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
so my 3x3x330 is wrong?

I noticed most members like to go very low reps with heavy weights on DL

john o
02-10-2010, 02:59 PM
I'll be starting 531 next month. Currently, I basically pyramid up in weight as reps decrease. I work up to heavy singles. Accessory
Work includes reverse hypers, etc.

brauny96
02-10-2010, 03:12 PM
http://www.atlargenutrition.com/allworld_deadliftprogram.php

not a bad program. Id suggest it. Right now basically, I personally am just beating up sticking points, and going for max attempts, w/ bands, chains, rack pulls, and deficits.

Guido
02-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I've been doing 5-3-1 for the past 14 months. It's been working well. I mostly pulled in the suit but then sort of stalled so have been doing more raw lately and it's helped.

ironwill727
02-10-2010, 04:02 PM
The best 3 programs I ever did for my DL were
1. 5-3-1
2. Doing 3s and adding weight each week.
3. Westside with DL (DL, Rack pull, and Deficit DL) 3 weeks as the Max Effort and Squatting after. Then on 4th week Max Effort Squat.

I know from experience that DL does not respond to high volume for me. I am usually a 1 and done top set kind of guy.

slashkills
02-10-2010, 06:48 PM
My deadlift isnt over 400 but heavy sets of 3-5 have really helped my deadlift. I know other members on here that have 400+pulls that like the heavy sets of 3-5 to improve their deads also.

robchris
02-10-2010, 08:02 PM
In addition to the aforementioned, dont forget to do your accessory work for the DL... Good mornings, pull-thru's, GHR, hyper extensions, for lower-back.

Hvy. shrugs, DB rows, weighted pull-ups, and the like for mid-upper back, have really helped my DL when I had sticking points.

As far as DL'ing, I only pull approx. once a month when I'm not preping for a meet... About 10-12 weeks out I start pulling every week 3-on 1-off schedule. Usually, consist of hvy. DL / light sqaut followed by hvy. sqaut/ speed DL w/ bands the next the next week. Similar to what ironwill routine looks like...

Good luck w/ the comeback!

mchicia1
02-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Just had a weird, but great workout.

Took my results, b vitamins, 1 nitor, and ate a banana about 30 mins before heading to the gym. I do my 10 minute warmup then hit the bench...I did my 135 warmup and it felt fine but when I put 225 on it felt heavy....normally 225 feels the same as 135. I was pissed because I was going for a PR today and felt like ****. Nonetheless I kept going anyway...did a 245 triple, felt heavy. A 265 double...felt heavy as ****. Did a 275 single...barely moved it. So then I decided to put 295 on the bar and just pulled it out of the rack and really concentrated on the weight pressing down on my lats/upper back, just to see if my problem was a form issue. I pull the 295 out, really keeping my body tight..let it sit there for a second then rerack it. No way im going for 295 without a spotter :). My previous max up to this point was 280....so I put 280 on to see if I could still do it. I pull it out of the rack and really keep my body tight and ended up pressing it for an easy double. Form is everything.

Next I did deadlifts. Warmed up with 225 x 5. 315 x 5. On the 315 set, I felt a lot of pressure on my back and I think it was because I wasnt breathing and staying tight enough. I was really short of breath for some reason (probably because of the nitor). So I layed down on a mat for 5 minutes and let my heart rate come back to normal. After this, I felt AMAZING. I put 365 on, got an EASY triple. Put 405 on, EASY triple. Then I did two singles, 425...rested a minute then did a relatively easy 435. I felt I easily had a 450 in me today but I didnt want to push it as I barely could walk 5 weeks ago.

I am going to stick with this DL workout until I really hit a plateau, then I will try some of the suggestions on here. Thanks for the replies :). Going to go for a 450 single next week. My goal is 500 pounds in 3 months.

paulr
02-11-2010, 07:27 PM
The Coan deadlift program did wonders for me. I had been stuck at 485 for awhile using a straightforward version of a Westside/conjugate template, and was overdue for punching through to the next level. One very diligent cycle of Coan took me to 1x550.

Brian C
02-12-2010, 02:28 PM
5-3-1 nuff said.

agreed