PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning effects on max power...?

Beaker
02-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Im just wondering what you guys think the effects of a good conditioning program could have for a powerlifter.

Im resting for the next week waiting to compete in my first ever meet, but afterwards i think im going to add some mild cardio (about a mile or 2 a day) of jogging on the street (no treadmills).

My ultimate goal is to be both strong enough and have enough aerobic capacity to be able to do some strongman competitions. so in addition to the jogging im going to be doing some sled pulls, pushing my pickup truck (till i get a prowler made), tire flips, slege hammering a tire etc.

Im also curious with what you guys think those other activities (tire flips etc) will have on my actual gym lifting weights, do you think it will go up, down, stay the same ??? im thinking it may go up.

im bored with the blizzard outside, just thought this would make interesting conversation.

brauny96
02-10-2010, 03:16 PM
I personally wouldnt jog, its beats up my knees and it just doesnt help. do really high intensity cardio like all your sled work and car pushes. If you have a high schoool nearby, I would suggest bleachers. once it warms up here, that will be a 3x a weeks thing for me.

vdizenzo
02-10-2010, 04:07 PM
I have become a huge fan of conditioning. For the most part I have been a two attempt bencher at meets. I did not have the conditioning and work capactiy to put three strong lifts in. Little by little I have been incorporating conditioning work into my program. This past six months I have really stepped it up. Just a few weeks ago when I competed I took four attemtps (I was able to because the 4th was a wr). Three of the four attempts were pr's and I got two of them. I ended up three for four on the bench. I owe much of that to conditioning work.

Personally, I would stay away from jogging. I do lots of things with less impact. I like walking with a weight vest, pushing the prowler, dragging a sled, flipping a tire, farmers walks, I get creative sometimes and make medleys. Before I got a lot of these toys I was carrying sandbags. You could push your vehicle. You don't have to spend much money if any at all. You just have to be consistent. Oh yeah, my new thing is tabata.

Beaker
02-10-2010, 05:36 PM
i dont see how jogging a mile or so would really hurt me too much aside from my sore knees. i actually picked up a couple of neoprene sleves today before the "blizzard" hit here and wore them while shoveling to test them out. they seem like they do a good job.

i made a couple of attempts at tabata using the elliptical and it definitely got my heart rate up, but the "problem" was that it i went so balls out on the first couple rounds that i was TOTALLY gassed and barely finished, which i guess is the point... but man it sucked. and i hate the elliptical.

im really trying to drop some fat this spring which was the main reason for the jogging, i just thought itd be a good way to start off a spring morning before work, then hit the iron after work. ... i will NEVER go over 3 miles and im pretty sure i'll very rarely hit 2 miles because i get bored.

JasonLift
02-10-2010, 06:08 PM
I box two days a week on my off training days. I love to spar and have found all the core work I do for powerlifting really helps with my punching power. The extra conditioning really allows me to train better with my lifting as I don't have to worry about my training suffering from being fatigued. I just keep in mind that although I like to box I love powerlifting so I try to not go over board.

vdizenzo
02-10-2010, 07:31 PM
i dont see how jogging a mile or so would really hurt me too much aside from my sore knees. i actually picked up a couple of neoprene sleves today before the "blizzard" hit here and wore them while shoveling to test them out. they seem like they do a good job.

i made a couple of attempts at tabata using the elliptical and it definitely got my heart rate up, but the "problem" was that it i went so balls out on the first couple rounds that i was TOTALLY gassed and barely finished, which i guess is the point... but man it sucked. and i hate the elliptical.

im really trying to drop some fat this spring which was the main reason for the jogging, i just thought itd be a good way to start off a spring morning before work, then hit the iron after work. ... i will NEVER go over 3 miles and im pretty sure i'll very rarely hit 2 miles because i get bored.

Jogging is a horrible way to burn fat. I see lots of fat people jogging. Heck, they had the contestants from the biggest loser run a marathon. Doing something at a steady rate is not the way to go. Funny how tabata seemed to work so well, but somehow you don't want to do it anymore. Come on, it's only four minutes. Plus, you can do tabata with just about anything. Ah, forget it, you said it got you gassed and it sucked--that's probably becuase it did what it you were looking for.
It looks like you want to jog regardless of whatever you are told. Have at it.

jbrin0tk
02-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Like Vincent said, being in better condition means you have a greater work capacity, which means you have the ability to do more. Combine this with proper programming and you have the potential to get stronger over time because you can do more work. That, and you can last longer (i.e. have a better shot at finishing that 3rd bench or deadlift if you are a powerlifter).

Personally, I've been jogging a mile or mile and a half on the treadmill (too cold and snowy to do much else right now) after my upper body days and I jump rope (usually 500-600 jumps per session) on my days outside of the gym (3x a week). I haven't had any knee pain from it and I'm a pretty big guy. I have noticed that I feel much better in the gym and in general. The jogging helps with aerobic conditioning; the jump roping helps with anaerobic conditioning.

My opinion is that if you want to start jogging, do it. Take it easy at first and see how your body responds to it. If it responds negatively then you may want to change the type of cardio you do. Also remember to keep it in balance. Remember that your #1 goal is to get stronger, so balance the jogging so that it won't negatively impact your lifting. I don't know if I would do a mile or two every day, but that depends on your current level of conditioning. If you were an avid runner and still run on occasion, maybe it wouldn't be too big of a deal. If you were pretty sedentary other than lifting, that might be more of a strain on your body. Try it out and see how you do with it.

Edit: I also agree with Vincent that jogging is not the best way to burn fat. It can be good aerobic conditioning, but things like HITT, etc., seem to be better ways to burn fat.

JasonLift
02-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Jogging is a horrible way to burn fat. I see lots of fat people jogging. Heck, they had the contestants from the biggest loser run a marathon. Doing something at a steady rate is not the way to go. Funny how tabata seemed to work so well, but somehow you don't want to do it anymore. Come on, it's only four minutes. Plus, you can do tabata with just about anything. Ah, forget it, you said it got you gassed and it sucked--that's probably becuase it did what it you were looking for.

That is so true. I knew a marathon runner who had a big gut.

robchris
02-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Beaker,

Try and mix it up to keep it interesting... I used to do a lot of strong-man stuff such as, farmers carry, slede dragging, stone work, log-press, etc. ( I hate running!)

They tax your strength and stamia together and really helped my conditioning w/o hurting my strength... I also did jump-rope, chopping wood, sledge-hammer work for general conditioning as well.

Beaker
02-11-2010, 12:23 PM

harsh bro. :(

but youre right. I need someone like you to stand next to me on the elliptical.

what were some of the things you found to be most effective on tabata ? ive done heavy resistance ellpitical and deadlift and i was much more partial to the DL.

Would you say that doing a moderate weight (225ish) after my 5-3-1 dead set would be a good plan, or should i do them on seperate days ?

Justin R
02-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Jogging to get in shape is like repping the bar to increase your bench.

In fair weather I prefer outdoor stuff, sprints, burpee long jumps, sled, sledge, sandbag, etc. Indoors I prefer barbell complexes.

As for the original question, I think at least at my level, conditioning is helping a lot. When I started on 5/3/1 I would have a hard time getting through the boring but big accessory work. After conditioning I have no problems flying through it and even have the energy for some core work and prehab stuff at the end.

JSully
02-11-2010, 02:50 PM
i prefer mountain biking.. but then again, it's in the 60s here..

mchicia1
02-11-2010, 03:02 PM
What do you think of walking lunges with heavy dumbbells? I find that my lungs give out well before my legs doing these...I have incorporated them into my routine 4 weeks ago once a week...may step it up to twice if I can recover from them.

drmobley
02-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Wow, Mr. Dizenzo, actually I had never heard of tabata. Searched it...that sounds like my type of cardio. Thanks for mentioning it.

Beaker
02-11-2010, 04:25 PM
i have a farmers carry setup that i made not that long ago, i was doing a setup of
walk them down a hill, run up and back down the hill, pick the up and walk the back up the hill, drop them , run down and run back up ... repeat.

i was a swimmer in college (before gaining about 100lbs lol) so aerobically i still have pretty good capacity for volume, i think you guys are actually right on the button that the rapid intensity would probably be more productive, particularly because it is more of a shock than just jogging would be.

jogging just seemed like a good way to get warmed up for when the weather gets nicer and i can spend more time outside.

once im done with this meet i'll start back up with the higher intensity routines and keep it as part of my log

JasonLift
02-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Vin, how often do you do tabatas? I seem to remember someone saying to do them only once a month, but you know how advice on the net goes.

Brian C
02-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Jogging is definately not the best way to lose weight, but I have dropped over 50 pounds doing so( This was before I started PLing). Theres no reason you cant jog once or twice a week, but also incorporate HIT type stuff once or twice also. I started doing complexes twice a week and I jog on a treead twice a week(2 miles). Same goals you have to drop some added fat, but keeping up on strength.

2kool
02-12-2010, 07:03 PM
vdizenzo, thanks for sharing that about the tabata. never heard of that before, now i looked into and it will become a part of my routine. i cant wait. and like another poster asked... how often do you incorporate it into your training?

Beaker
02-14-2010, 09:11 AM
from reading around on different forums it looks like twice a week is what most people recommend. this keeps you working hard without overdoing it.

vdizenzo
02-14-2010, 10:17 AM
I treat tabata like I treat anything I do other than benching, I just get through it. Sometimes I'll really push it, but even if you are putting in just a small effort it's pretty tough. I like tabata because you can do it with almost anything. I have a push tabata, pull tabata, and a leg tabata day. Plus I thow in some jump rope tabata here and there. When I get my treadmill back to working I might throw that in. Heck, I have done jumping jacks tabata. It's amazing what you can do in four minutes.

Beaker
02-14-2010, 03:46 PM
i just banged out 4 minutes of fury on the elliptical... i was really bangin on it and on the last 20 second blast i really crashed hard. did 5 minutes warm up and 5 minutes cool down.

i feel much better now having done it.

Vin- when do you do your tabatas ? on off days of lifting, on the corresponding lift day ? im having a hard time figuring out when would be the best time to do my weighted tabata cycles once i add them in.