PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifting issues..

4g64fiero
02-12-2010, 12:17 AM
I have been sweating posting about this.

My squat is higher than my deadlift. It appears that most people have a higher deadlift than squat at the amateur-intermediate level. I am just trying to figure out why I dont have a 425lb+ deadlift. Its frustrating. I have been gaining on all my other lifts consistantly except for deadlifts. I video taped my self deadlifting but couldnt find any issues. I constanly watch myself in the mirror. Could it be that I just have a goofy proportion that puts me at a disadvantage for deadlifting? I have watched deadlifting videos alot. My form is the best I can get it right now as far as I know.

jtteg_x
02-12-2010, 05:43 AM
you should post up a video here to get a point of view from others. I skimmed through your training log and noticed you were pulling off the ground 3 times per week. Workout 1: looks like speed work, 2: ME and 3: hypertrophy. I would limit pulling twice per week at the most. Another thing to point out is to try different variations of deadlifts (IE: SLDL, Sumo, GM's, rack/block pulls, etc)

-JM-
02-12-2010, 06:15 AM
My form is the best I can get it right now as far as I know.

Thats a very bold statement.

You really should put a video up and get the perspective of others.

Lones Green
02-12-2010, 06:57 AM
Yeah put a video up

Squat vs. Deadlift numbers have a lot to do with build as well

4g64fiero
02-12-2010, 08:07 AM
you should post up a video here to get a point of view from others. I skimmed through your training log and noticed you were pulling off the ground 3 times per week. Workout 1: looks like speed work, 2: ME and 3: hypertrophy. I would limit pulling twice per week at the most. Another thing to point out is to try different variations of deadlifts (IE: SLDL, Sumo, GM's, rack/block pulls, etc)

You guessed right. I have read before that 5 x 5 doesnt work to great for deadlifts. Maybe I should follow a 5/3/1 setup? Where would be a good day to introduce an alternative deadlift movement?

Thats a very bold statement.

You really should put a video up and get the perspective of others.

I mean that in regards to my current flexibility, not as in a " I have mastered the movement" way.

I will post a video,

JSully
02-12-2010, 08:26 AM
I agree with pulling only 2x/week, as well as variations. Deficit, rack/block pulls, off the floor, speed pulls, against bands.. also GMs, SLDLs, GHRs, rev hypers, heavy dumbbell rows and shrugs/power shrugs..

blownby
02-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Also you may be pulling sumo, when you would be better conventionial...or vice versa!
Also you may be cutting you squat depth higher to hit the squat....
Are you squating in knee wraps......at your totals that may be an extra 30 pounds on your squat especially if you are cutting the squat high.
where is your problem w/ dead. Start or lockout?

4g64fiero
02-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Those are all good questions.

I Squat to a 12" box on max attempts. Thats 1/2" below parrallel for me.

Dont use any wraps or a belt.

The problem with my deadlift is once I get it about 3 inches off the floor. I can get it off the floor, I just cant keep it going.

Jsully, would those variations be included in the 2x per week?

deeder
02-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Those are all good questions.

I Squat to a 12" box on max attempts. Thats 1/2" below parrallel for me.

Dont use any wraps or a belt.

The problem with my deadlift is once I get it about 3 inches off the floor. I can get it off the floor, I just cant keep it going.

Jsully, would those variations be included in the 2x per week?

If you can break it off the floor but then it doesn't work I'd say you're probably letting your hips come up too fast and/or rounding your back and/or you have a weak upper back.. Without a video there is nothing anyone can say to help you. Also, why do you squat to a box for max attempts? Are you bouncing off the box and making it easier for yourself that way?

MarcusWild
02-12-2010, 10:48 AM
How are you watching yourself in the mirror while deadlifting? You should be looking up not at the mirror.

KoSh
02-12-2010, 11:22 AM
How are you watching yourself in the mirror while deadlifting? You should be looking up not at the mirror.

Not according to some of the major strength coaches...

Straight from Wendler's 531 book "I try to keep my eyes focused on a point on the ground about 15 feet in front of me."

I've always had the thought process that looking up... On squat, deadlift or military press throw off balance. But, obviously, looking up works for some people.

ScottYard
02-12-2010, 11:57 AM
I like to look up and away from the floor. Mark Chaillet told me that at one of my first meets. I never questioned chaillet as his best pull is 880 lol. There is not set rules. Only guidelines. Obviously your looking for a change. Try making simple changes first like looking up instead of down before you do anything drastic.

4g64fiero
02-12-2010, 12:00 PM
If you can break it off the floor but then it doesn't work I'd say you're probably letting your hips come up too fast and/or rounding your back and/or you have a weak upper back.. Without a video there is nothing anyone can say to help you. Also, why do you squat to a box for max attempts? Are you bouncing off the box and making it easier for yourself that way?

I use it to gauge depth on squats that arent ATG. All my volume is done as ATG squats so sometimes I dont have a good mental compass of where parrallel is. Its a touch and go, I have never bounced off of it and can only image what that would do to my spine.

Tim K
02-12-2010, 03:54 PM
My squat is about 20 to 30 lbs heavier than my deadlift. I have a few things working against me when it comes to a strong deadlift - age, flexibility, and build. But in all honesty, I'm just weak. I've been working on deficit deads and have come close to matching my regular deadlifts in weight. My form is decent, but does need some tweaking - both major and minor.

Keep working at it. Try deficit deads, reverse band deads, regular deads, band deads, sumo, conventional, etc. Keep strengthening the posterior chain, hips, glutes, back, etc. Keep getting stronger - just work at it.

4g64fiero
02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
My squat is about 20 to 30 lbs heavier than my deadlift. I have a few things working against me when it comes to a strong deadlift - age, flexibility, and build. But in all honesty, I'm just weak. I've been working on deficit deads and have come close to matching my regular deadlifts in weight. My form is decent, but does need some tweaking - both major and minor.

Keep working at it. Try deficit deads, reverse band deads, regular deads, band deads, sumo, conventional, etc. Keep strengthening the posterior chain, hips, glutes, back, etc. Keep getting stronger - just work at it.
This seems the most likely.

How come no one ever recommends just deadlifting? Are conjugate methods that important to the deadlift?

I had done BGB for a while and I did rack pulls and SLDLs as well as regular deadlifting every week. I eventually had to start running again(I am in the military) and I injured my hamsring. Seems like I made slower progress then than I am now doing 5x5 deadlift routines alone. I guess thats why I am not to keen on adding SLDLs back in until I know my body has adapted to the running I do as well as the lifting. Rack pulls sound great. I need to figure out where to fit them in...

Tim K
02-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, if deadlifts aren't helping your poundages go up, you try something a little different. :D My sticking point is the ground. If I can move it a millimeter, it will come up. To me, that means I'm weak - especially off the floor. Hence the deficit deadlifts. There are a lot of strong guys out there with lots of experience. That means a lot of keys to unlock those heavy weights. The key is finding which one works for you... and as soon as you find that key, the lock will change.

4g64fiero
02-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I see, I see...

I was messing around today after doing jumping movements to see what my flexibility was like.

Turns out that I can barely make a ~35 degree angle with my back straight like it should be while standing with my legs slightly bent. Anymore is really pulling my hamstrings. This is probably the source of my reoccuring injury. I feel like if my hammys were more flexible, I could gain a better form and really raise the weight up properly. Anyone got ideas for the most effective way of stretching these?

So far, in this thread, I have found out that I should be focusing on lower rep ranges on deadlifts, adding deadlift movements like the rack pull and SLDL. I will probably start trying out GHRs.

I will still post a video. I feel like I can make some epic progress with this advice. I just have a good feeling about it.

4g64fiero
02-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Alright I got a video at a better angle. I have noticed now that I have a really hard time grabbing the bar without rounding out my back...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrGdDm2JAxg

MarcusWild
02-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Your hips shoot straight up and back. Your hips should be moving closer to the bar not further away.

4g64fiero
02-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Can you explain that a little better? I am ignorant to all that is deadlift.

MarcusWild
02-16-2010, 11:18 PM
When you start the lift, squeeze your glutes to push your hips forward. You're using all quads. Your hips move further than the bar. That puts you in a really bad position to finish the lift.

4g64fiero
02-17-2010, 09:03 PM
I will try to focus more on that tomorrow since its deadlift volume day.