PDA

View Full Version : 315 Squats and 225 Deadlift

DieselWarrior
02-12-2010, 06:32 AM
My personal best on squats and I think I could have done more on the deadlift if I wasnt so light headed from the squats. As it was, my ears rung for 5 minutes after the second set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=A_aKj5MYTYI

Just wanted to share with the fam-
Andrew

4g64fiero
02-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Those squats looked good. Those deadlifts were more like straight leg deadlifts though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4FwBkuK6o&feature=channel

joey54
02-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Lots of improvement on form to be made on both lifts. That is good, because you can lift a lot more weight with both.

DieselWarrior
02-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks much for that link, Rip did a great job detailing the form! Im still a rookie at power movements, I enjoyed it quite a bit and was very surprised how much weight I actually moved! Thanks for the encouragment everyone!

J.C.
02-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Looking strong. Fix your technique and you can deadlift a lot more, that's for sure.

Off Road
02-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Great job getting under the bar and getting busy.

2kool
02-12-2010, 07:19 PM
nice job! as stated already get the deadlift form down and youll be pulling alot more poundage!

Buccos1
02-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Nice intensity on the squats! Keep working at it.

JasonLift
02-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Squats are more like good mornings. Don't worry, have the same issue. Once you get the form done it will definitely be a lot stronger. Good luck.

Off Road
02-13-2010, 08:58 PM
During the second set of squats...watch the guy in the other rack doing squats...4" ROM :evillaugh:
And then during the the deadlifts...the guy in the background feeling himself up :omg:

DieselWarrior
02-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Were you looking at THIS video??
blrFvikR164

Andrew

Off Road
02-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Were you looking at THIS video??

Andrew
I wasn't talking about anybody in your crew. I was talking about the guy in the next squat rack over from yours. You can see him during your set of squats where you were facing the camera, just look over to the left of you.

backseatwitme13
02-14-2010, 03:10 PM
During the second set of squats...watch the guy in the other rack doing squats...4" ROM :evillaugh:

I was looking at the same thing. I could only concentrate on how high that dudes safety bars were.

DieselWarrior
02-14-2010, 10:30 PM
I wasn't talking about anybody in your crew. I was talking about the guy in the next squat rack over from yours. You can see him during your set of squats where you were facing the camera, just look over to the left of you.

Yes sir, I understood that, was asking which video (I thought maybe you went to my tube page and saw the other one). Ill go back and look at my original post! HA HA!

DieselWarrior
02-14-2010, 10:33 PM
HA HA HA! I saw the squat guy... OMG, that was an amazing 6 inch ROM. And the other guy during my SL DL....

You know, you see weird and amazing things if you video the gym, that you just dont notice when you were ACTUALLY there! HA HA!

Anybody wanna see a video of an obese ninja? :-)

Andrew

DieselWarrior
02-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Nice intensity on the squats! Keep working at it.
Thanks much bro! Kind words...

BilltheButcher
02-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Don't the jeans completely screw you up?

DieselWarrior
02-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Don't the jeans completely screw you up?
No, actually not. They were pretty loose fitting (for my fat arse) and didnt hinder a full ATTG squat (AssToTheGrass).

Andrew

Off Road
02-15-2010, 07:32 PM
didnt hinder a full ATTG squat (AssToTheGrass).
Those were not ATG squats.

DieselWarrior
02-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Those were not ATG squats.
... deleted, never mind...

Off Road
02-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Don't get me wrong...your squat was great.
Here's a pic of ATG for reference...

DieselWarrior
02-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Here's a pic of ATG for reference...
Thanks OffRoad, that was helpful.

Andrew

Bosch232
02-18-2010, 03:25 AM
HA HA HA! I saw the squat guy... OMG, that was an amazing 6 inch ROM. And the other guy during my SL DL....

You know, you see weird and amazing things if you video the gym, that you just dont notice when you were ACTUALLY there! HA HA!

Anybody wanna see a video of an obese ninja? :-)

Andrew

I agree. I've descretely vid'd myself to check form a couple of times (which was eye-opening), and when you watch it later you see weird and previously-unnoticed activities in the peripheral.

ZenMonkey
02-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Im gonna say a point of clarification here. You can go "ATG" on a conventional "power style squat", what many call a Full Squat. "ATG" is implied on an OLY back squat, as you cannot stop short due to the lack of hip involvement.

As to the squat in the first video, I cannot tell depth because of the angle. Otherwise, looking strong man!

Edit: Oh, tell your spotter to spot the bar, not you.

Chris Rodgers
02-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Edit: Oh, tell your spotter to spot the bar, not you.

Are you talkin about where he puts his arms or where his eyes are looking? I think he is in about the best position you can be for a back spotter.

ZenMonkey
02-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Where he puts his hands (under the arms and around the chest of the squatter).

Chris Rodgers
02-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Where he puts his hands (under the arms and around the chest of the squatter).

Yea, we always spot that way unless the lifter is tiny and the back spotter is huge and can't fit under there, lol. If the lifter fails this is the best bet to get everyone back in the rack safely.

ZenMonkey
02-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Yea, we always spot that way unless the lifter is tiny and the back spotter is huge and can't fit under there, lol. If the lifter fails this is the best bet to get everyone back in the rack safely.

That seems like a really bad idea to me. The lifter should be able to finish the rep by letting the spotter take some of the weight off (by picking up the bar) or the lifter has chosen a bad working weight. Also, can you imagine what might happen to the spotter if the lifter bailed the bar? I believe Mark Rippetoe agrees with me too, Im pretty sure this is what he says in Starting Strength.

Chris Rodgers
02-20-2010, 11:59 AM
That seems like a really bad idea to me. The lifter should be able to finish the rep by letting the spotter take some of the weight off (by picking up the bar) or the lifter has chosen a bad working weight. Also, can you imagine what might happen to the spotter if the lifter bailed the bar? I believe Mark Rippetoe agrees with me too, Im pretty sure this is what he says in Starting Strength.

Well, I train with friends and everyone is taught to stay with the weight. Bailing is for those who lift alone. If you are standing up straighter spotting the bar, what can you possibly do if he bails? You will prob get hit with the bar. I realize Rippetoe is an uber genious, but this is how we have spotted for years and we have spotted at every single powerlifting meet we have been to. It seems to work pretty well as I have seen many lifters safely returned to the rack after missed attempts.

Now obviously if someone is doing, narrow stance Olympic-style squats, you will not be able to spot them in this manner. I guess that is where the bailing comes in.

Mike G
02-20-2010, 02:52 PM

This. Pick up on the bar and you can get the person out of their groove and risk more injury. Also, you have more control when you wrap them up and provide more help than just picking up the bar a little. This isn't talking about forced/assisted reps, this is about spotting safely. As for someone bailing, if you're close enough to consider yourself a spotter, you're in a bad spot. They also shouldn't bail if they know they have a spotter.

Nicky
02-20-2010, 03:13 PM
During the second set of squats...watch the guy in the other rack doing squats...4" ROM

WOW I just saw that!!! What a tool!

ZenMonkey
02-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Well... different strokes!

joey54
02-20-2010, 03:55 PM
You are not going to back spot the bar once the weights start getting heavy. It could be a recipe for tearing something in your arm. Zen I have read starting strength and I understand where you are coming from. I have also back spotted people with 700 plus pounds on their back and no way am I going to spot the bar in those circumstances.

Chris Rodgers
02-20-2010, 04:01 PM
You are not going to back spot the bar once the weights start getting heavy. It could be a recipe for tearing something in your arm. Zen I have read starting strength and I understand where you are coming from. I have also back spotted people with 700 plus pounds on their back and no way am I going to spot the bar in those circumstances.

It would be funny to see someone standing behind John Bernor as he tries to squat 1100+ with their hands just by the bar, lol.

ZenMonkey
02-20-2010, 04:22 PM
I really have no experience with stuff that heavy. I am just imagining what may happen to someone if the lifter bails the weight.

joey54
02-21-2010, 12:19 PM
I really have no experience with stuff that heavy. I am just imagining what may happen to someone if the lifter bails the weight.

If the lifter bails on his spotters in those situations, he is probably going to get punched in the face.