PDA

View Full Version : wrist wraps for power/oly lifting

Runty
02-12-2010, 05:38 PM
My wrists are starting to get sore after some workouts and I'm looking for a wrist wrap that will offer a bit of support for bench/press but still work for cleans/power cleans. I'm on SS at the moment and plan to progress into a slightly more oly type program once my strength comes back up.

Been looking at APT black mambas or ZRV pros. 24" seems like a good length but I'm worried it may be to stiff for cleans, but should I hold out till they get 20" back in stock? Any other recommendations for flexible but effective wrist wraps?

ScottYard
02-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Wraps from any powerlifting type company will be way to stiff for you. When I cleaned alot for football I had the same issue you do. What I found worked best was to go to dicks or sports authority and buy there cheap knee wraps. The may be harbinger brand or something like that. They are basically thick ace bandages. Take a wrap and cut it in half. It will add support but be very flimsy and flexible , expscially for cleans. Plus they are cheap and you essentially get 2 wrist wraps out of the knee wraps.

Runty
02-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the response. I have pretty skinny wrists so I'm wondering if they even make a knee wrap that small. I have a pair of the knee wraps you suggested(not the smallest size however), some no-name elastic ones from the local sports shop. They work good for keeping the knees warm but I think I'm looking for slightly more support than that on the wrists. Perhaps I'll give the 12" wraps a shot first if you think the 20" or 24" will be too much.

Thanks again.

zbollman
02-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Simply try athletic tape. We use Athletic tape to wrap our wrists for Olympic lifting and it helps quite a bit. You may want to shave the area that you are putting the tape on though because it can be uncomfortable when you constantly have to tear hair out to take it off. Also, don't wrap it super tight.

Zach