PDA

View Full Version : Dave Tate instructional bench press video

fpr
02-13-2010, 02:10 AM
In his video at about 7:56 Tate states the problem that your average gym goer does with the bench press is they really lower the elbows in relation to the bench -- I couldn't tell if it was because they are lacking the arch or is it where they bring the bar down to on their chest?

He also states that how you move the bar, obviously, affects what muscles you're targeting. I notice when I bench sometimes my anterior delts begin to burn a lot... proper movement of the bar is from about nipple line and then you drive it above to eye level? I think I've been just trying to bench as vertical as possible... boy I have a lot to learn. Thanks!

Dh3t6T-nqP0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0

dynamo
02-13-2010, 02:24 AM
oof yeah I actually got MANY tips from this video and my bench shot up. Dave Tate is the man.

Travis Bell
02-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Re-post, but a great video non the less.

Dave brings it back to the basics, a lot of people need to focus on their form and technique as their main priority.

Metal_Man
02-13-2010, 10:00 AM
This video was very helpful to me when I first saw it... After working on my technique I found my presses to be so much more stable and controlled...

I wish I could put the video on all the tv's at my gym for everybody to see!

KarlMarx
02-13-2010, 12:13 PM
I notice something new almost everytime. Last thing I got was in turning or flaring the elbows out on the way up...Great stuff.

Astreocclu
02-13-2010, 01:16 PM
ive seen this video before, im trying more and more to get proper bench form. Its pretty hard without a good trainer.

robchris
02-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Great training video!!! I learned a lot watching Daves vids... Loved the one liners too!

JasonLift
02-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah I learn new stuff on my technique it seems like every week. I am currently working on squeezing my upper back as I am lowering the bar which seems to help off my chest.

fpr
02-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I posted the video because I had questions about it -- can anyone answer them from my OP?

achilles89
02-14-2010, 05:22 AM
I posted the video because I had questions about it -- can anyone answer them from my OP?

At that point he is illustrating if you bench wrongly like the typical gym goer where there is a lot of strain of the shoulders, the traps are not tight, it is pretty much self-explanatory unless you thought this is how you should bench. If you are having problems even after watching Dave Tate's video, post your own video of how you get your "anterior delts burning" after benching correctly.